Coming Sunday: Baseball 2014

The Trib’s 12-page Baseball Preview will run in Sunday’s paper, and we really hope you’ll seek it out in print. In addition to broader features on the radar gun and the curveball by beat writers Rob Biertempfel and Travis Sawchik, I’ll have an extra-length column on the Pirates’ new generation on and off the field.

Here’s the cover …

20140329-031948.jpg

Comments

1. I forgive Barry Bonds. Now let’s put all that crap concerning him in the past and play ball!

2. Barry Bonds was a great player who would’ve been even better without the steroids. Let us all now forgive him and put all that crap concerning him in the past behind us and concentrate on this upcoming season.

3. Well, the next game the Pens will play will be a tough one against the Chicago Blackhawks tomorrow night. Let’s hope they can win this one, overcome their post Olympics slump, and gather some momentum going into post season.

4. Sarah says:

The Sens were whupping CHI last I checked.
    The Hawks may be a wee bit cranky!!

This is probably a little much to ask for but what the heck.

In 1975 the Pirates were finalizing their roster on the final spring Saturday before opening the season against the Cubs. Local boy Dave Augustine (Follansbee, WV), an outfielder, was told he’d made the team. His bags were put on the truck & sent to Chicago.

But GM Joe L. Brown had other ideas. The Pirates had one too many guys in the bullpen & shopped them to teams looking for relief help. The Phillies were on the verge of contention & needed to make room for a group of talented outfielders about to emerge from the minors. The two teams consummated a deal at the 11th hour with the Pirates sending pitcher Wayne Simpson to the Phils for journeyman Bill Robinson. Simpson had spent 1974 in the minors & Robinson hit only .236 with 5 homers for the Phillies after a breakout 25 homerun season in 1973 at age 30. Seemed like not much at the time, except to poor Dave Augustine of course. Augustine was back to AAA never to appear in another major league game & Robinson joined the Bucs in Chicago. And the rest was history.

Wayne Simpson pitched only 34 more major league games & only 7 with Philadelphia. Bill Robinson spent 8 years with the Pirates hitting .276, slugging 109 homeruns & helping the Pirates to a World Championship. It was one of the greatest trades in Pirates history & it came as an afterthought on the last day of spring training.

6. Hope “Springs” eternal.

I knew only very very generally when you mentioned Augustine and Robinson the other day what you were referring to. Thanks for fleshing it out.

That is why Joe L. Brown was one of the greatest, if not THE greatest GM’s in Pirate history. The man brought 2 WS to Pittsburgh, and contributed toward a 3rd.

Wasn’t Bill Robinson a local product? McKeesport maybe?

Yes. Born in McKeesport & went to Elizabeth Forward High School.

10. Brandie says:

Let’s see our beloved Buccos make history,the spectacular kind. :)

11. macchamp74 says:

And think about it, Joe L Brown never heard of “WAR”

12. Karen22 says:

My favorite Blog headline of the year: Coming Sunday: Baseball 2014

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!! :)

Personally, I don’t like the Pirates reaching out to Bonds at all. It’s hard enough to teach one’s kids right and wrong. Here, you have a guy who cheated the game for years. He displaced and tarnished a revered record. Earned millions of dollars, cheated on his wife, and was convicted of federal crimes. All the time displaying an air of arrogant, smug, ungrateful entitlement. All of these traits are unsettling and something one hopes their children will not emulate.

The only sanction anyone can hold over Bonds is denial of enshrinement to the Hall and distance from him professionally. Instead, the Giants and Pirates reach out to him. Great life lesson for the kids. The poet was wrong, treason doth prosper.

Oh, great post, Milo.

14. Very well put, John. I echo your sentiments. Forgive and move forward, don’t move in.

Yes, Oshie. Great life lesson to be teaching anyone, let alone kids.

Be a horrible human towards everyone, show a warped sense of entitlement, be insanely jealous of others, cheat, lie, then turn around and attack those who you were a lout to. Yep, that is the life of one Barry Bonds.

Who was the genius in the Pirates organization that reached out to this horrible reminder of Pirate past? A man that couldn’t get along with his teammates, who publicly ridiculed said teammates, was jealous of said teammates, who is the only man known to refuse instruction from/argue with coach Bill Virdon, who sulked after Leyland rightfully handed his ass to him…………. and that was just while he was in Pittsburgh. I won’t go into the laundry list of transgressions in SF.

Being the Pirate FO is always so open and honest in all their dealings, we may never know who the genius was who reached out to Bonds. I feel him helping award Cutch his MVP trophy will disgrace Cutch, the MVP award, Mr. Dick groat — who is helping with the award — and the Pirates in general. Great move, fellas.

This is why you are a much better person than I, Reverend.
    I have a difficult time forgiving those who make a life out of treating others badly for such a long time.

Feel free to scold me anytime.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Better put than I, Lucky! Thanks for the Avi. Big sports day for me today!

19. Brandie says:

I understand everyone’s sentiments. The thing about history is it is not always pretty. That is a great lesson for kids. Another great lesson is how this team will not be beholden to what is ugly, accept what has happened, and move on. Otherwise, a person could end up stuck and bitter. There is too much wonderful going on to be bitter. Baseball is starting which will mean even more interesting debate on the blog and I will get to hang out with wonderful people while going through my own personal rebirth. What could be better?

Good day everyone.

20. Brandie says:

Preach it Temptress!

21. Brandie says:

Rock on John. Hope things work out well in NCAA land.

22. Brandie says:

DK, cannot wait to read the Sunday column. Love the Golden Earring Blast!

Funny, with all the vitriol directed toward Barry Bonds, the guy that nearly brought down the franchise has seemingly been forgiven.

You know, the guy that brought his own personal cocaine dealer into the clubhouse & on the team plane for road trips so everyone on the team could have easy access. That made it really easy for Dale Berra, who had forgotten his wedding anniversary, to pick up some blow for his wife as a gift at the last minute. The guy whose reckless behavior led to a widely publicized drug trial held right here in Pittsburgh Federal Court smack dab in the middle of the baseball season that gave our city a horrible black eye & nearly cost Pittsburgh its baseball team. Not that all this didn’t hurt him personally as his habit ruined some of his prime years & cost him enshrinement in Cooperstown. No venom here though. Not for a guy whose actions did serious harm to the Pittsburgh Pirates. All is forgiven here.

Interesting.

I don’t like Barry Bonds anymore than the next guy or girl. Maybe less. And I was surprised they were having him come in. But, I get the overall purpose of it. It’s to have the Pirates’ last 2 living MVP’s present the award to the first one since Bonds. It’s not to honor Bonds. Who knows, my guess is they ran it by Cutch and he is is cool with it. And it’s really about him. I see both sides on it, and I can’t get worked up about it either way. And, for me, it has nothing to do with forgiveness.

I agree with you AW.
    And they did run the idea by Cutch and he was cool with the idea. ( I read that and Bob Pomp just said it in the radio)

There are hundreds of living men who wore the uniform of the Pittsburgh Baseball Club who lived publicly honourable lives, that managed to make ethical professional decisions and stayed clear of violating laws.

My question is why did the Pirates reach out to reprobates and not to any of those other men who choose to do the right thing? Why reward disgrace ?

I’m with both of you here. It doesn’t bother me one way or the other. Same with Parker really. Like I said, I just find the reaction to this interesting.

Game is rained out in Philly. Roster must be finalized by tomorrow afternoon.

It always bothers me when American businesses get in bed with criminals to promote their product. And, make no mistake about it, this is both an attempt to promote and it does honour Bonds. There were numerous ways for the Pirates to present the MVP award. This was their choice and I prefer to hold corporations accountable for such poor choices. I do it whether the business is baseball or equity trading.

For the record, I have not forgiven David Parker for all the reasons you listed above. Just want to make sure I am not lumped into that category.

Thing to keep in mind about the drug trials………… more than just Parker were guilty. Good grief, even the Parrot was in on it. Players from other teams……. I remember Keith Hernandez as one…… were put on trial also. With the Galbreaths trying to sell the team, there was a very real possibility of losing the Pirates.

Forward 10 years. Bonds, with his insane jealousy towards Van Slyke getting a contract, but not him……….. funny how Van Slyke didnt attack coaches, teammates and media like Bonds did, but I digress………… signed with San Fran, if I recall, he said something like “he wouldn’t sign with Pittsburgh, he was going to get paid” ……… contributed to the Pirates almost moving again.

Bottom line for me, Bonds and Parker share my scorn for their actions against the Pirates.

Well, at least your team’s still dancing. ;-)

They didn’t offer Bonds arbitration. That’s kind of the end of that story for me.

Thanks, AW, I’m really not that worked up about it really. I mean it is just a trophy presentation. Just hard to express my thoughts without sounding all incredulous, I guess. There needs to be an emoticon that suggests you have an opinion but, in the scheme of things, is not an opinion on some matter of great concern.

And UVA has become a perennial player, methinks. Good coach.

Good luck.

35. Eric Bowser says:

Anyone have some greenies for me?

Bonds, Stargell, Parker….

36. Steelkings says:

Nice guys finish last, play with an edge, Bonds was a Pirate. Nuff said.

37. Steelkings says:

Pirate fans Booing Bonds will do nothing more than ruin it for McMVP.

+++

39. Karen22 says:

Amen, Ms. Brandy! And CONGRATS on your new job!!

I eagerly anticipate the “Why Fans Shouldn’t Boo Bonds” column.

:-)

41. Karen22 says:

A+++++++++++++ season in store, we hope. That’s the PLAN! ;)

42. Karen22 says:

Awesome post, John! I completely agree.

43. cmat0829 says:

On Bondsgate:

I have no issue really with the Pirates celebrating their current (Cutch MVP) with their esteemed past, by having previous Pirates MVPs on hand to congratulate/honor Cutch. The Pirates celebrate their history a lot, and that is a great thing.

The steroid era Bonds really came in San Francisco. Or the clear and the cream era.

My vitriol toward Barry (and, no, Barry that is not a new undetectable steroid) is because I don’t think his “I’m a better person” is genuine in the least. America is all about second chances, but Barry has not once ADMITTED WHAT HE DID and really apologized for how he acted in the past. And it is oh-so-convenient that when the selfish Barry needs something from someone, he turns on the “BS-machine” to try to win over hearts and minds.

And to be sure that I am fair in my vitriol, I didn’t accept Pete Rose in his numerous attempts to say sorry and come clean (and he had many that were as ungenuine as Barry)..but he has since come around, truly has come clean and now Rose deserves to be in the HOF. Maybe one day, years from now, Barry will genuinely come clean and be a better person. Until then, not interested in contributing to his BS-machine PR tour of duty.

I am no fan of Bonds. And I hope he doesn’t get int the HOF.

But the main reason I don’t have a problem with this is because they are not honoring him. If they gave him a gift/plaque, let him make a speech and drive him around the field in a convertible then I would have a problem with that.

Let him get introduced and hand an award to Cutch.

(And as far as we know Bonds never won an MVP award as a Bucco while in the juice)

45. Poz says:

I don’t get here very often. Last night during the Pens game was the longest I’ve been on in a very long time. And certainly I don’t know the people here – but it’s clear most are genuinely concerned about others, some they haven’t met, and in matters not related to this crazy sports thing that drives some of us to the ledge, on occasion.

So I too what to take a moment to congratulate you on the reports of a new job. Best wishes and warmest regards.

46. cmat0829 says:

I admit I haven’t followed Parker much, but I (and most Americans) are for 2nd chances. Yes, what Parker did to this particular team/city is way worse than what Bonds did. In fact, other than being an asshole and terrible teammate (and heave an historically weak throw that let Sid Bream slide safe in Atlanta), Bonds was more a positive to the Pirates /Pittsburgh than a negative.

I believe, though I’m not sure, that Parker has apologized for his behavior, he recovered to have a serviceable big-league career after and even became a mentor to other players. And his appearance in Pittsburgh (though he can’t make it) would not be self-serving in any way (i.e. he is not trying to show how much of a changed man he is so he can be voted into the HOF).

So agree with you that we should not forget the black-eye of the Parker era.

I still have no more respect for Pete than Barry. He only “came around” because he thought it was the only way to get into the hall of fame, and even THEN wrote a book to be released at the same time to make money off “coming clean.” Guy’s scum.

I agree with you again AW.

That’s only because we are friends. ;-)

Good point on the juice

51. Glad to support your boys, John.

52. piratemike says:

McCutchen may have agreed to Bonds.
    That’s because he was never a teammate.

I don’t!

I don’t think so

You’re a good “Loonie” Wizard of Poz :)

56. JD says:

Too bad he didn’t start juicing in ’92. Maybe He could have thrown out Sid Bream then.

I’m with you 100% Oshie, Bonds is a POS

Sistah! I am pulling for you to succeed 100%. :)

Will Pinkies do instead ;)

dayum, chit’s getting deep ;X

+++++++

62. JRay3 says:

Pirates have designated Vin Mazzaro for assignment. Kind of disappointed team was unable to at least trade one of the extra arms it had.

Mazzaro has been DFA’d

64. JRay3 says:

Also, on the injury front was told today that Chris Stewart is planning on playing in some sort of game within the next week. So his progression from the knee surgery continues to go very well.

We’re pals

Really interesting to see the crowd turnout for the Blue Jays/Metsies exhibition games in Montreal.

My wife and I honeymooned in Montreal. We went to an Expos game. It was cold and drizzling. On the way there I told my new wife not to worry because it had a roof. Little did I know the roof had been taken off. It was freezing and so sparsely attended that anyone who wanted one was going to get a foul ball. And the players would absolutely hear anything yelled at them. Youppi did sit by us for an entire half inning.

I was so drunk on romance and Canadian beer that I bought a fundraising brick for the new stadium they were building but, of course, never got built. Not sure I ever got that money back come to think of it.

That 94 Expos team truly got screwed by the labor stoppage. Really a fan of Felipe Alou, though.

But, my experience of Olympic Stadium is not that pleasant. You could walk across the parking lot in the shadow of the Eastern Bloc styled apartments built for the 1976 Olympic village and see a huge Rocket Richard statue in front of an arena across the street from Olympic Stadium. That was neat.

Just kinda falls in line with the rest of the off season. Non participants.

I’m watching the game right now & Jerry Howarth just told the story of how the strike cost the city their team.

Andy Oliver has been outrighted

Of course you are…I meant the mush, silly man ;)

Gabykawa has won the first base job.

72. JRay3 says:

Pirates move to DFA Mazzaro is truly the smart play and I really thought Mazzaro was solid last season for the Bucs. But the reality of the matter is Mazzaro was a failed starter who was never going to be anything more than a middle bullpen arm.

The Pirates see Stolmy Pimental as a potential starter and you can not release those type of players if you truly feel he has the ability to someday soon contribute to the rotation.

Bryan Morris by all accounts has looked phenomenal this spring, has added a two seam fastball that consistently hits 95 MPH to go with his cutter. He owns swing and miss stuff and has the potential repertoire to be a future closer, which I really think management feels as well. With a big season this year, Morris could be given that opportunity in the future.

Really leaves Jeanmar Gomez, who once again offers value to a club due to his ability to be a long man out of the pen, has pitched late innings at times, and also was very effective as a spot starter. His versatility gave him a bit of an advantage as well.

Although I do not believe Vin goes unclaimed, really would have liked to see him be able to stay with the organization, but the one positive this shows is just how far this team has come in the last 5 years where they are now having to release MLB quality players.

73. JRay3 says:

I should have prefaced, smart play in the decision, the true smart play would have been to make a trade knowing you had an excess of arms and get something in return.

I think they only way you get anything of real value for Vin is if you include him in a package deal.

He’s a middle reliever

He can still be traded, right?

And about spring training being meaningless, I’m not sure that Bryan Morris was slated to come north a month ago. He found a few mph’s somewhere. Makes a world of difference.

Yeah, I just heard that as well. The people of Quebec really resented that strike (or was it a lock out?).

I was there in 09/08. The night McGwire beat Maris single season home run record, actually. All the players stopped and watched the Jumbotron footage of it.

They still had hopes of a new stadium at that point.

78. DemonDachshund says:

I realize that Mike Trout had much better years than Cutch before their contract extensions, but…

I’m pretty sure the Bucs are glad they got 6 years for $51M total vs. 6 years for 144M.

And neither did the other GM’s.

Geeze, 09/98

*****

82. JRay3 says:

Yes they can work out a deal, just not sure how long they have off top of my head. I do know the Dbacks really need an arm after losing David Hernandez who was a late inning bullpen guy to Tommy John earlier this week.

They have until April 7th

84. JRay3 says:

Thanks for the info.

The bullpen has a chance to be better. You replace Mazzaro with Pimentel, a much better arm. And Morris looks like a different guy, in a good way. Health permitting, this is easily the strength of the ballclub.

Well, since I bashed Bonds earlier, I will have to put a big old smile on my face because old Bar is coming to PNC Park.
    Yep, big old smile, not because of captain Steroid, but because Cutch is getting his MVP plaque.

So, this will be me Monday, just to show support for Cutch.
    ( Great move BTW to getting Leyland for Hurdle’s MOY award) ………

I see MLBN has a new show with Mad Dog Russo. I’ve never listened to him. Is he tolerable or just too obnoxious ?

LMAO!

I just think it’s funny that we got to be friends disagreeing on the blogs. It really doesn’t have to get personal. But it does . . . for some.

:-)

Small doses for me.

+++

92. In a Rodney King sort of way?

:D

I’m thinking they’ll still work out a trade for Vin.

Oops. Sorry Biz.

Well, I certainly trust your views on most things, but especially broadcasters.

96. If by some chance he clears, he would be a nice option out of Indy for injury or poor performance.

Huntington says Mazzaro will likely be traded.

98. For a guy off somebody’s low-A roster most likely.

I initially interpreted that as Rodney Dangerfield. One of the other problems that happens. ;-)

But, no, more of a respect for different viewpoints, even if you disagree. It’s kind of in the delivery, which we all get wrong at times.

So with these three moves, we have one added to 40 man and two dropped.

Time for a waiver wire pickup?

101. Sarah says:

Listening to Tocchet on Bob Pompeani’s show was a treat. Makes me want RS to hire him ASAP.

Oh, Iggy now w 30 goals.

Daniel McCutchen makes the Rangers 40 man roster

Still a good problem to have in the overall scheme of things.

sometimes the disagreeing gets old. So sometimes it backfires ;)

105. Poz says:

I remember years ago listening to a sports show on occaion out of New York called “Mike and the Mad Dog.” If it’s the same guy then he was really intense an excitable. There were times I felt he needed sedation. But that was a long time ago – people change.

106. Poz says:

Yep. Iginla looks great playing for the Bruins.

107. JD says:

Especially with a certain poster who is hyper sensitive and always flies off the handle.

108. Baywatch says:

LOL! Hey, Milo! First time I’ve heard that one … For all I know you coined it!

109. Baywatch says:

I’ll second that emotion.

110. Baywatch says:

Get outta town! Dan McCutch! No way! Well, now that I’m over that … I wish him well!

especially when posters are constantly baited by others who know what they are doing. :)

112. Sarah says:

Might have looked good here. What a shame…..

agreed

114. The Gunner says:

The chances of the 2014 Bucs acquiring someone the caliber of Bill Robinson is slim & none.

Jandy—

??????

That’s me :)

117. JD says:

He has a channel on SiriusXM too. I agree with Milo on the small doses. He does get good guests though.

He seems to be a nice guy, good for him

119. Glad for him. Good Christian kid.

120. The Gunner says:

I think Lush Coonelly is responsible for reaching out to Bonds. I heard him talking on The Fan about the possibility of inviting Bonds to spring training as a guest hitting instructor in the future.

121. Ghost says:

Which reminds me, all the Blue Jays needed was one ST at-bat from Andy LaRoche to demote him to the minor leagues. One friggin’ at-bat (which was an out) and… “See ya!”
    Yes Gang, Ol’ Neal has come a fair ways since his illustrious days of making trades like that one for Danny and Andy.

122. The Gunner says:

Parker is another one who couldn’t wait to leave Pittsburgh not to mention his cocaine issues.

I hold Frank responsible for this, too.

I hope he’s off the ‘roids.

That tells me a lot.

125. Ghost says:

Sounds like the name of an aspiring rock band — “Off the ‘Roids.”

126. Stuart says:

Hey Brandilissima,

Good luck on the new job. I knew it wouldn’t take you long.

Stuart

I like Mad Dog , especially when he gets fired up. But he gets a lot of facts wrong. (Partly because he has a national, not local, show) So I am slowly moving towards the ‘small doses’ crowd.

I think I’ve said plenty … I’ll leave it at that :)

Too bad the game was rained out…I was looking forward to it…

129. Sarah says:

Here it is

Somewhere PoH must be smiling, Xavier Nady made the cut

Not if you really want to be understood.

132. The Gunner says:

Maybe they can get a decent 1B prospect who is blocked in another organization for Vinny.

+++

We are supposed to go to a game this year. And the whole time I’ll tell her what a bum Doumit is. ;-).

134. Daquido_Bazzini says:

Like most Pirate fans, Bonds was a villain to me after he left the Pirates in ’93.
    His stigma wore off quicker than expected, as it was unfortunately replaced by the Nutting Regime, a hellacious faction that has made Barry Bonds look like a very simple and minor problem at best.

Evan Meek also made the squad for the Orioles.

I like him too.

136. Baywatch says:

Evan made the big club for the Orioles?

137. Best we can hope for really.

138. Hope he can keep the ball in the park and in the strike zone, not necessarily in that order. Had a good battle with Hanny for the closer job that one spring. I’d like to see him stay healthy.

I thought part of that story was that they offered Bonds a contract and he rejected it. Van Slyke said that if they offered him that contract he would take it. So he did.

Big club = big boy pants

Wasn’t D. McCutchen the guy who pitched all those innings for the Bucs down in Atlanta…when we lost because of that blown call at the plate?

Not my recollection. Similar to AJ this year, they didn’t offer him Arbitration because they thought he might accept it. (Also I think he said he would accept it).

Whether they also offered something long term I don’t remember, but c’mon, they weren’t looking at keeping him at that time. That’s why I always thought the booing of him for leaving was misplaced. They weren’t booing him because he was a jerk.

Yes he was.

144. The Gunner says:

Yeah, it will be a stretch to say the least. I am glad the season is finally starting.

145. BillyBaduka says:

My mom went high school with Bill Robinson.

His nickname was “weezer” in high school.

She told me to yell “hey weezer” as he came to the dugout. He calmly tossed the ball up without breaking stride when he heard it.

So, needless to say, I was a big Bill Robinson fan as a kid.

Thanks for sparking those memories.

+++

147. Brandie says:

Out in Harrisburg all day. Just got home. I cannot wait for baseball season to start just to see how much the Pirates are committed to winning. Congratulations once again to Clint Hurdle and Andrew McCutcheon on their awards. May this be a springboard for many great seasons to come.

Aside to Disco Stu and The Wizard of Poz…Thanks to you both for your heartfelt congratulations. It really means a lot.

Good night friends.

148. Brandie says:

Many thanks Rarin’ Karen!

149. Brandie says:

Gonna rock it Jandy-Rose!