Pirates 4, Cubs 3, 16 innings

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (1-0) vs. Chicago Cubs (0-1)

Time: 7:05 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, Radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page. And here’s our Bucco Blog with all the pitching matchups, lineups, etc. Rob Biertempfel, Travis Sawchik and Joe Starkey are on the scene for the Trib.

Comments

1. JRay3 says:

According to Tim Williams, neither NH or Jameson Taillon wanted to comment on the results of the second opinion Taillon received on Monday. They want to process the information before deciding a course of action.

Reading between the lines, since both of those individuals were quick to speak about ligament being attached and needing a few weeks to be shutdown to now not wanting to talk about it at all I get the strange feeling the Pirates will not be seeing Taillon in 2014 and possibly not in 2015.

Hope it turns out for the better, if not would be a pretty big blow to a team really counting on the arrival of some of its young power arms.

2. ++++++++++

There’s more where he came from, JRay, just not up to his level of quality. But some definite potential there. Some guys that could be real studs.

I just hope they’re not contemplating monkeying around with rehab and rest. Just get the damn surgery and move on.

JRay, why would you speculate that Taillon might miss 2015 also?

I thought Tommy Johns were 10-12 months, 15 at the absolute most?
    Just curious as to your take there.
    Hoping for the best, but silence is not golden here.

5. JRay3 says:

Agree, and I hope they are not thinking about injections in an attempt let it heal, ie Kyle McPherson who just ended up re-injuring himself and needed surgery but lost six months in the process.

If the elbow is damaged and they have been told surgery is an option than that is the unfortunate move to make.

You think this is that black and white?

7. JRay3 says:

Let’s say the Pirates take a few weeks to come to their conclusion and than decide to schedule surgery in May of this year, and let’s use 12 months recovery time in my estimation that gets Taillon ready to just be able to pitch again May of 2015.

Applying that and the fact he will need to work himself back a bit and still has only pitched 37 innings at the AAA level, I could see him spending the rest of season pitching in AAA, getting comfortable and regaining his form and working on the things the club wanted him to work on for the first three months of this season.

I guess a September 2015 call-up could happen….I just think the timing of this hurts a bit since the ’14 season is already underway.

I think they should trade Taillon for a first baseman. Immediately!

WOW. We’re a bunch of experts when it comes to crafting a roster and spending the owner’s money. And now when it comes to the medical staff too.

Come September 2015 Volquez will probably be tired.

Really a shame.

11. JRay3 says:

hysterical

12. Not every arm injury is the same. Citing Kyle McPherson’s injury is not germane.

My knee injuries and Greg Ogden’s knee injuries———same knee——are not the same.

13. Nate83 says:

I would think it’s because he wouldn’t be added the major league team right away. He would probably have to wait to even start pitching in Indy until June or July and then work his innings back up. Maybe he’s a late addition in 2015 but more then likely just starts 2016 with the Pirates. This of course all assumes it’s Tommy John which we do not know yet.

I can’t even begin to speculate on this one.

It’s all Neal’s master plan to prevent the Arbitration Clock from running.

And I don’t blame Tim Williams for his assumption based on the team’s and player’s reaction & silence

17. I watched Justin Smoak drive a ball into the gap and short hop the wall last night right-handed, driving in 3 runs.

He has 6 RBIs thus far, 3 lefthanded and 3 righthanded. How long will it take our 1st base tandem to get 6 ribbies?

Hey Neal: how’s Andrew Lambo, your Great White Hope and Ace in the Hole at 1st Base, doing thus far?

JRay, and Nate, thanks for the explanations.

Being that many had Taillon “guaranteed” to be up in the bigs come June, even though he only had 37 innings at AAA, I wrongly assumed that he would come straight out of rehab to the big leagues ……… little tongue in cheek there.

This is why no one, even the most optimisitic of fans, should NEVER guarantee a player being called up at a certain time. Injuries, and struggles can derail the “guaranteed” train at any time.

This news, if it indeed is bad arm news, would really stink.

Actually, I didn’t think Tim made an assumption. I thought he just pointed out that they talked after previous evaluations but not after the second opinion.

Oh come on Groat, you know there are posters here that have said NONE of the options available to the Pirates this offseason would be any improvement, or would cost too much, or would stink, or would require the loss of a draft pick, or they really “tried” to get someone………………

1979. The last time the Pirates had a solution at 1B.
    Think about that. 1979. Amazing.
    Yet in the past 35 years, we as fans have been treated to the Jeff Clements, and Jason Thompsons of the universe. And, barring a surprise trade, there isn’t anything in the minors at any level to have a solution.

Can you provide me with examples of players who have actually recovered from ligament injuries with rest and rehab?

Attacks!
    Attacks!

Would you like another pat on the back?

24. JRay3 says:

That seems odd to me. If the second opinion confirmed the original diagnosis why would that be so hard to communicate? It would be just a simple sticking to original plan which as of March 23rd was for Taillon to be shutdown for two weeks.

If the diagnosis turned out better, you would have to believe both parties would be quick to communicate that.

Now information needs to be processed. Longer shut down time? Surgery? Just not really sure what else there could be in terms of review unless the doctors are just that unsure and they want to seek out even more information.

But there is a definite change in the communication from the original evaluation to this evaluation.

You guys crack me up…

Lots of possibilities if you ask me. I’m not going to speculate.

Kinda rough in here, imagine if we were 0-1. We’ll just have to see about Jamison, yes, it is a bit weird communication wise, but this isn’t the first time ;-)

21 that article was pretty good, I hope the kid gets a chance in pro ball

If you want to give me one, sure. Don’t know why you would want to……………

Look, this is potentially awful news. I cannot think of any person that wants to see Taillon injured. I can”t think of anyone that wants to see him lose maybe 2 whole seasons.

I just use this narrative to the people who were guaranteeing Taillon and Polanco as up here in June. Nothing more.

I agree, JRay. Well said.

JUSTIN SMOAK HAS 6 RBI. THANKS NUTTING!

See, if he would have just spent some of that $30MM ……. ;)

Maybe there were conflicting diagnoses?

Give me a break.

You know exactly why you’re making it a point to say this over and over again.

Yes, plan, you’re right. You’re right. You’re right. You’re right.

I wonder when the whole pirate team will have six runs batted in

Can you provide me with something that says Taillon’s UCL is the issue?

That is certainly possible, Biz.

The silence part is the most curious.
    I feel if there was a conflicting diagnosis, they would have announced another opinion was necessary. But since we don’t play doctors on TV, well ….

Tonight :-)

That’s very nice of you Biz!

August 27th.

It wasn’t clear to you that that is the situation we’re specualting about?

We get it, you don’t want to speculate.

I am.

But we can talk about Bob Nutting’s money or 1B again to kill time until the game if you find that more interesting. ;)

NMR, I resent that from you.
    Like you don’t wield your superiority over people when you are right. Like you don’t argue a point to the death. Like you don’t call people who disagree with you trolls, like you did bpn8pitt.

Also, if posters wouldn’t have been guaranteeing Taillon and Polanco up here in June, I wouldn’t have had anything to rebut, eh?

Just another case of you attacking, unprovoked.
    I didn’t agree with you, or you just can’t stand that you weren’t the one that was correct, so lets just attack again.

Grow up.

I just can’t believe this bunch of bums hasn’t hit a sac fly yet.

I’m sure the Mariner’s would take all they help they can get paying for Cano!

;)

I know what you’re speculating about NMR. You’re speculating that it’s the UCL. I haven’t read anything specific so I’m hoping that it’s not and I’m also suggesting that there are several possibilities so I’m not going to make any assumptions based on when the team has commented and when they haven’t. After almost 6 years, I have no idea what they’re doing when it comes to public relations.

Plan, when you tell somebody you’ll meet them at a certain time, do you also qualify that by saying you may be hit by a car and delayed?

Please find me one example, anywhere, of baseball writers predicting when a given player will be called up while qualifying that by saying injury may delay that date.

This is the big boy table. You don’t need to tell us that sometimes guys get hurt. We all know that.

I can’t believe Marte got doubled off on a hit and run.

Isn’t the course of action – surgery vs rehab – ultimately up to the player.
    So let’s continue to speculate that it’s something bad – - can we possibly give Taillon a break and let him think it over. Or should he really be worried about communication at this point?

And maybe the first diagnosis doesn’t jive with the second one. Maybe it is worse. Maybe it is better.

Can you provide one name of someone that made that ‘guarantee’?

One and guarantee are the important words there.

50. JRay3 says:

Tonight’s Cubs starter Edwin Jackson was 8-18 with a 4.98 ERA a year ago.

Jackson went 2-2 with a 3.56 ERA versus the Bucs last season. In his second start against Pittsburgh a year ago he was roughed up, lasting just 3 innings and giving up 4 runs. He lost his first start making it 5 innings and giving up 2 runs.

Jackson earned 2 of his 8 wins in his last two starts against Pittsburgh giving up just one run in each of those games over the course of 12 2/3 IP.

That’s a great question, TC.

My first thought was that it’s the player’s body, so it should be his choice. But he is any employee of the team. I just don’t think I’ve ever heard of a situation where there was a vocal disagreement.

John Perrotto was just on with Mark Madden.
    He couldn’t resist taking his usual shot at Pirate ownership.

He said that he feels Polanco is the best option right now for right field and the Pirates are sending him down to delay his arbitration clock. He admitted that he is basing his opinion on the 8 or 9 spring training games he saw Polanco play in.

Matt Harvey vs the Mets.

He really considered not having surgery. He thought about rest & rehab….especially after talking with Roy Halladay, who apparently did that. ( or was it Cliff Lee?)

54. There’s hope. “Hope that I can cross the border. Hope that I can see my friend again.”

Sorry, Shawshank filtered in among all the discussion.

Hope he can pitch again before the next blood moon.

;)

Travis had an interesting thought on the 1B situation with Ish getting another start tonight. He wondered if Hurdle was shielding Gaby from plus right handed velocity.

The Shark’s fastball topped out around 98 and Jackson at 97 last year.

Perrotto is correct. However, I am intotal agreement with Pirate ownership on this. To have a raw Polanco for a few months here now, vs. a polished Polanco years down the road is smart. This is one area where small-market teams are smart for doing this.

After his super-2 status is over in late June, if he is ready, he should be called up.
    If he isn’t ready then well, he won’t be called up.

Joe Namath?

I know Dylan Bundy also tried the rest route. Wasted three months.

The name is Dufresne. Jameson Dufresne.
    I didn’t kill my wife that night.

Funny thing is, On the outside, I was as clean as a whistle.
    I had to come in here to the Pirates to learn how to pitch.

:D

Ok, I really can’t believe the Cubs threw over to 1B like eight times with Travis Snider on late in the game.

What scouting report was that coming from?

You are out of the group.

Of course I’m not sure if you were ever in

So what are you agreeing with Perrotto on?

That they are sending Polanco down for the arbitration clock.
    But, I disagree with Perrotto taking a shot at ownership for doing it.

It is a smart move for ownership to do.

64. JRay3 says:

Didn’t see that, but thinking on that some very interesting take that could have some validity. Important to try and get Gaby some confidence going against RHP so understand the need to match up.

Would think the spot play could come tomorrow versus Jason Hammel who I believe is low 90′s velocity.

Fine. I’ll start my own group.

66. JD says:

Careful NMR, don’t get the big guy riled up. He’ll say you’re part of a group that’s attacking him.

67. JD says:

Oops, too late. I should have scrolled down further before posting.

No JD, you should just shut your troublemaking mouth.
    You are at least consistent, you never read my posts content, you just attack.

Grow up.

69. Nastynate82 says:

Even if he gets tj surgery tomorrow, why do u think they wouldn’t see him next yr? I don’t think he’d miss two full yrs

70. JD says:

Hilarious TC, hilarious.

Shawshank, and Once Upon a Time in the West are 2 of my all-time faves.

Both movies are extremely long……. gives them enough time to tell the whole narrative.

Thanks for the Shawshank memory, Sir reverend.

Hope is a good thing :-)

73. Andrew says:

I think this is well said, I think it is a reasonable assumption that the Pirates and Tallion received differing opinions. A few things could be wrong other than the UCL ligament could be a flexor mass tear, unlar nerve problem. You can do conservative management of partial thickness UCL tears not very good data on outcomes, and surgery is the accepted practice. But it is not like we have much information.

74. Nate83 says:

That is just a silly use of information to make your point Groat. Ishakawa is batting .666 . OK now that we have two game samples that don’t matter out of the way is there a relevant point to make like the pirates actually turned down a reasonable trade for a first baseman. Do we have any information even proving Smoak was available. It’s odd that no other team traded for him if he was.

The pirates only missed on Loney and Morrison who was traded to Seattle and is so good he can’t get on the field. All other options have not been moved and there is zero evidence any of them are even being shopped by their teams. It’s all speculation.

75. Andrew says:

If I remember correctly Travis had a reported before that the Pirates platoon by certain pitcher types so this makes sense.

76. That’s right, Red.

And Brooks was here, too.

First time I’ve seen Bob Walk in over 6 months. Missed that crank.

Let’s Go Bucs!

P$ I love the 1979 reunion ads.

79. On Wisconsin! Go Badgers. Beat those blue cats, please.

PLS. Wearing the home whites, top and bottom, as God intended.

++++ Thanks, Lucky. I sure hope they get it done!

Glad to see everyone’s getting along.

Evenin’ Milo.

Bonifacio picked off twice in two games!

Hey Coach Bo. Actually 3 times, he was picked off in the 1st inning Monday when Gabykawa dropped the ball. On his way to a major league record.

PBC draft money is 5.6 MM, International pool is 1.9MM

Prediction: Castro is not a Cub by close of business on trade deadline day.

I played beat the streak today. I picked Marte.

88. Andrew says:

That is what they saw in spring, ability to steal outs.

89. Brandie says:

Matte HBP. Not the best way to get a baserunner but I’ll take it.

Edwin Jackson =Edinson Volquez

Except for 4 years.

Anybody want to take a stab at the chances of Starling Marte getting through the season without getting a broken hand from a HBP? I’ll say less than 10%.

Looks like a nice crowd there tonight. Most of the 2nd day crowds I have seen around the league have been pretty weak. I think this season could threaten the all-time attendance record at PNC if they stay in the race all the way to the end.

You really start getting into iffy territory when you start warning pitchers that have a history of having no idea where the ball is going.

Happened right after DeShaies and Casper said on the Cubs broadcast that he will have an 80% base stealing success rate. Technically, when you get picked off diving back to 1b it is not a caught stealing, I guess.

City of Pittsburgh question from an out of towner:

What is that green domed structure sitting majestically on a bluff overlooking PNC ? A cathedral?

95. Andrew says:

Balk-a-Day was a quick with the warning, not sure why you hit the leadoff guy.

96. Brandie says:

Tell it like it is Mye-lough!

That being said, it really used to frost me when our hitters went up to the plate wearing targets. Not any more. No more free shots at our hitters, accidental or not. Everyone on that bench knows Charlie has their back. And I really like that.

Oh, he hit him on purpose.

99. Brandie says:

Edwinson Jacquez

I mean Charlie did, not Jackson.

Who the hell is Robby Incmikoski ?

Brandikawa.

He used to work on Twins broadcasts. He got his start as Pat Summerall’s personal statistician on Fox after John Madden had gone to NBC.

104. chethejet1 says:

161 games left. I want to see if Morton has improved to be a solid third starter. As to Taillon, if the ligament is solid according to the initial reports, then the second opinion may be something that the first test didn’t show. I am sure whatever it is, the Pirates would prefer to exaust all options than surgery.

105. cberry88 says:

He’s Root Sports “side line” reporter

That’s a good thought by Travis, NMR.

I was thinking he was going to give Ish-man most of the early starts vs RHP and see how he does. He knows he has Gaby as Plan B.

And, btw, I can stand you just fine. I think I agree with you on most of the big Pirates issues.

Sounded like you could use a hug at the end of the DK thread from this afternoon. Just caught up from being out of pocket for the afternoon.

Well, good for him, I guess! Looks young.

#IMissLacee

108. cberry88 says:

Not sure of the specific building you’re talking about but most likely it’s a church.

I miss Trenni. :)

That’s a good call, Osh. Thomas Edwin Alva Edinson Jackson.

111. Brandie says:

I’ll play first base. Let me at it!

Lesson #1 on deciding whether or not to challenge, don’t listen to a recently embarrassed player.

I miss the high-5 chick.
    Seriously, I never knew her, so I missed her.

I think I’ve discovered something more effective than the new statistically driven defensive shifts. Something nearly 150 years old. The strikeout. :)

Love that movie.

Planikawa.

+++, Milo.

118. Baywatch says:

Evening All! Enjoying the evening, and game, via MLB.TV, right here in our East Texas living room, on our TV app. Let’s go, Bucs! (Taking a break to run to McD’s for Mrs. Bay’s Mocha Frappe!)

119. Brandie says:

Now Plan is at first with Travis? I can’t wait to see how that story ends.

120. Baywatch says:

Hey, Milo!

121. Brandie says:

Tell Mrs. Bay Searage hello from the Muppet.

Charlie Morton is getting the K’s tonight.

122. Brandie says:

The strikeout…the original STFU tool.

I think we need more than a 2 person platoon.

Hey Bay !

125. Brandie says:

Who do you suggest?

Planikawa sounds like a monster from those cheesy 60′s Japanese horror movies.

Brandie, if I am at 1st, I AM the entire platoon.

128. Barb says:

Hey Brandecita how are things this fine evening? I see the blog got a little chippy at the beginning.

129. Brandie says:

Planikawa vs Mega Planikawa!

130. Brandie says:

Pirates are up 1-0. Things are pretty good oh Vivacious One. How are things with you?

If Charlie has this whole “getting lefty batters out” thing even somewhat solved this year, he’s going to have a heck of a season.

132. Barb says:

Just glad that the Pirates are back and the weather is better than last week. :)

133. Barb says:

+++++

Hey Brandeis! How goes it?

Bad News Bears inning.

Priceless, GrandMistress B!

137. Florida Steeler says:

I see the bunting, base running gaffes and errors did not improve in Bradenton–again. Too much golf or deep sea fishing????

138. Brandie says:

Jim…I am busy at work. I am now suggesting projects for my tech company to do to mane hotel stays better.

Charlie Morton rocks!!!! I get to talk to you, Venus De Meye-low, Bodacious Barb, and John Plandis. Life is pretty good.

The Pirates have a secret weapon at PNC this year that should result in 81 wins.

Just have the opposing team eat those grilled cheese sandwiches of death before the game.

:D

140. cberry88 says:

Mr. Electricity (Charlie Morton) looking good. And thankfully bailing out his SS.

141. Brandie says:

Call your shot Planikawa…Call your shot!

142. Barb says:

Absolutely and you know Planimal they also have a hamburger called the “Abso-bac’n-lutely burger. Guess what’s on it? They are certainly trying to clog everyone’s arteries,

143. JRay3 says:

Great work by Morton to get five outs in the 5th. Stuff is just filthy tonight.

15 innings and counting of shutout baseball by Bucs pitching staff.

144. Barb says:

After Mercer made that error I was calling for Clint Barmes.

145. Andrew says:

Barmes would have made that play if he still had bat speed.

146. Brandie says:

I like this continuation of last year so far J Ray Tre!

147. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Well, glad to see some things never change around here.

Nice to see Morton dealing. Pitch count up a bit, but if he gets through 6 with a fat 0 on the board, hard to ask for anything more.

Travis Ishikawa is a former Giant. Good glove. Mediocre bat. Some pop, perhaps the short porch will help, but I have always liked the glove.

Now, when’s that Taillion feller coming up?

148. Brandie says:

Ready Kilowatt.

I remember at TRS, the ballpark food was dogs, peanuts, pretzels and nachos.
    Beer was 1.50, or 2.00 for a big one.

Now, you pay $14.50 for that grilled cheese death sandwich.
    Makes me wonder, Barb.

150. Barb says:

And you know people will pay that price but not me. I can’t eat all of the bread and meat soooo I will just stick with nachos and water. Cheap date. :)

It’s Ryan!!!

152. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

And the game would 0-0 if Barmes was starting.

Does that DP make up for it?

Bet you miss Amy G, huh ?

154. Brandie says:

THREE CHEERS FOR JORDY MERCER.

HIP HIP HOORAY ‘N’AT!
    HIP HIP HOORAY ‘N’AT!
    HIP HIP HOORAY ‘N’AT!

YINZ!

So I got the fam Little Caesars tonight. Ironically, I had to wait for the Hot and Ready. Anyhoo, a string of people came in one after the other while I was waiting. Just a small little store in a small town on a Wednesday night. And one person after another. That scene was being played out in towns across North America.

I see how the Tigers can afford Cabrera.

156. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Boo

157. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I have the baseball package, still get to see her.

158. Brandie says:

That’s like “Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?”

The Cubs are going to lose 100 games this year.

160. Brandie says:

I love your avatar.

161. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Would’ve like to have seen Marte look at the 3b coach on that one.

And Greg Brown takes the words out of my thumbs.

162. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Lol. I have one?

163. Brandie says:

And their illustrious bull pen I keep hearing so much about.

164. cberry88 says:

1.21 gigawatts, Great Scott!

165. Brandie says:

It’s either you or the dude from East Bound and Down.

I already miss Dale Svuem’s half ass windbreaker look.

167. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Lol. I didn’t know that it would carry over.

168. Brandie says:

You made a time machine…out of a DeLorean?

169. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Pedro vs LHP. DP to right side.

Hope I’m wrong

170. DJ says:

Taillon may have surgery?

I just knew we should have picked Machado. Oh wait . . . never mind.

171. Brandie says:

Kenny Powers is my hero! Talk about eventual redemption for the terminally dim witted.

172. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Or strikes out. Better than a double play

Well, you were wrong. Just one out-a K.

174. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Killer Mullet

Atta boy, Martin!!!

When I go, I pack.
    Even cheaper. ;)

177. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

It happens. I was optimistic that he would touch the ball

So Renteria yells at him in Spanish now ?

Cute.

180. JRay3 says:

You ever think Theo Epstein looks out at the field and mumbles the 50 million dollar mistake we have to live with?

Castro with the gift, 2-0 good guys.

181. DJ says:

Note to HM: Christian Folin to Minnesota Wild. Apparently everyone wanted him.

And so the Wild get their man yet again (see Parise, Zach; Suter, Ryan).

Hahaha. Somewhere, Theo Epstein is cursing and Dale Svuem is smiling in relief.

183. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Sloppy game, not from CM though

184. Patrick(ri) says:

Not to mention Castro. Worst looking “superstar” in MlB.

One run, on no hits, 2 left on base.
    Thank goodness the Cubs are in this division.

Root Sports Pittsburgh producers ? Just brutal.

187. Brandie says:

That mullett should have had its own Twitter page.

Best news all night.

189. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Watson

What a bum

190. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

It probably does

191. Wild Bill says:

Evening boys! And you too, Brandie. Just got home in time to see Tony Watson’s beat down of the Cubs this inning.

My spur’s in da game.

192. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Who cares, it’s a run

193. cberry88 says:

The way I see it, if you’re gonna make a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?

194. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Here’s a waste of a roster spot

Let’s put a rush on this boys, got a date with Keri Russell at 10.

196. cberry88 says:

This is as comfortable a 2-0 lead that i can think of. **immediately runs into backyard, cuts down nearest tree and gives it three knocks with the knuckles…just in case**

197. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

MM’s numbers from last year are just sick.

Could he possibly duplicate those?

You know, you really should learn how to read.
    I am happy the Pirates got the run.
    Getting a run on no hits is a good thing.
    I am merely stating I am also happy the hapless Cubs are in the division.

So, you come in and say ‘who cares’?
    Unreal.
    Another poster not reading what I wrote just to attack.
    Wondered when you would start your crap again.
    You didn’t disappoint.

Keri Russell. Sigh.

200. Carlos Danger says:

I commented on the Bucco blog but turns out this where the conversation is at. My bad. Ima paste what I said earlier on the other blog. I hate to say this, but I agree with Bob Walk. If they think that Jackson plunked marte on purpose (I personally don’t think he did) wouldn’t it make more sense to wait until Jackson is up and then plunk him? I realize they want to send a quick message back, but I feel like pitchers would take less liberties if it is their arse on the line. Again that is assuming they see intent – I didn’t see any intent when Jackson hit marte at all.

201. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Eric Hinske immediately gained 50lbs when hired to be Cubs 1B coach.

I make fun of that heart attack grilled cheese at PNC.
    I have stated that Arizona has a winner with that $25 corndog.
    Here is how much of a winner it really is………

203. Wild Bill says:

Melancon diggin a hole here.

204. Andrew says:

Well this has escalated.

here;s the ball game.

206. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

There’s nothing thee saying that you were happy about that.

I also didn’t attack anyone. You couldn’t handle my verbal attacks. Just do your normal cry baby, everybody’s picking on me shenanigans.

A gray area.

208. Andrew says:

You cannot review that.

209. J Walter Weatherman says:

Cubs should win this challenge. Bad throw by Walker caused Mercer to come off bag. Doesn’t fall under “neighborhood play”.

210. chethejet1 says:

The single issue for the 2014 Bucs is the offense not good enough to score on average pitching. Over the season unless they trade for a good hitter at first, they simply will be in closer games than than they should. It will take its toll.

211. JRay3 says:

Melancon makes the pitch should be out of inning and Mercer doesn’t stay on bag in the neighborhood play.

May lose dp here.

What does Mike Pereira say ?

213. Andrew says:

Now they are just making it up as they go along.

214. JRay3 says:

Infield defense has been very shaky this evening.

Guess it depends which neighborhood.

216. J Walter Weatherman says:

Incomplete pass

And you are back to your troublemaking ways.
    So glad when you were gone.

You just don’t get it, do you?
    You and your group won’t chase me away, no matter how much you try.
    Grow up.

218. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I’m reviewing every neighborhood DP turn from here on out.

I’m going to have extend my dvr recordings for baseball games this year, methinks.

220. Nate83 says:

It was a bad throw by Walker in my opinion. My understanding is it shouldn’t have been reviewable. Should be interesting to hear what officials say after the game.

221. JRay3 says:

Melancon does his job and gets out of it. Bucs allow first run of the year on what should have been a routine double play ball.

222. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

That’s more on Walker than Mercer. Throw pulled him off

223. Florida Steeler says:

Poor fundamental baseball by the Bucs tonight. Hope they an steal this one.

224. cberry88 says:

Oh geez…..thankfully I don’t have to walk to the gallows just yet but I will eat my hat for good measure. Damn bold predictions.

You jinxed us, cberry!

226. J Walter Weatherman says:

You’re too easy on Melancon. He dug his own hole. Yes, it was a bad play by Walker, but you could just as easily blame Melancon for that run.

227. cberry88 says:

Have to agree with the replay on that one. Melancon didn’t help things by putting so many runners on the bases. Lucky for the Bucs to escape with only one run.

228. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Ug.

You bore me plan. You tell others to grow up however, you’re the one that gets butthurt anytime you are challenged or offended and act like a a spoiled 6 year old.

Grow a pair

Since the ball was in the neighborhood of the bat is it not reviewable ?

230. JRay3 says:

Made the pitch needed to throw a zero on the board for his inning of work. Did his best work after runners were on and made big pitches.

Defense did him no favors.

These video reviews sure make for some exciting television, don’t it folks.

232. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Now this is too hard to tell, IMO

233. J Walter Weatherman says:

The ball’s been in the neighborhood of a lot of batters tonight. Namely Marte and Rizzo.

I have a pair, thanks.

If you don’t like my posts, why not just skip over them?
    But you have to be the baby and come after me because you don’t like it when someone dares post an opinion you don’t like.

I don’t care if someone disagrees with me, but when attacked I will defend myself.

This is why I don’t want you to ever respond to my posts.
    Grow up.

I can’t wait til the stats start coming out on which umpires have the most calls overturned. Translation: which umps stink.

236. J Walter Weatherman says:

Looks easy to me. Ball didn’t hit bat or Marte. It hit the catcher’s glove. Ball 1.

237. chethejet1 says:

Mercer missed the line drive up the middle and now he is off the bag. Hope his hitting makes up for his average defense. Snyder in RF is a disaster and Polanco will make a difference in July on. Now NH will have to be at a disadvantage in trade negotiations.

238. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Already not a fan of this challenge review garbage

239. J Walter Weatherman says:

Put his defense in the position where they had to be perfect.

I’ll go on record as saying I hate review. Let the refs call the game. If they miss something-so be it. Middle age men in headphones-what could be more exciting.

Nearly 5 minutes to get it wrong.

242. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

How the hell did I attack you. I will be more than happy to accommodate you if that’s what you’re looking for.

All I said was who cares. Not at all an attack.

243. Wild Bill says:

It’s bizarre, Milo. If they couldn’t figure out what the ball did do the original call stands?

244. Carlos Danger says:

I have been a proponent of the review system. Until now. Agree with milo. At least get it right after the long delay. Or at least show the ice crew from the pens games raking the base paths. That at least would have made it a little easier to accept.

245. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Does anybody know the rules on this?

All 30 clubs, the MLBPA, and Umpires Association crafted this “challenge garbage”

I suggest instead of calling other posters 6 year olds, you contact the commissioners office to voice your displeasure.
    I am sure they will change everything just for you.

247. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Missed the hanger there Cutch.

And who’s this Snider guy on base?

248. JD says:

Butthurt. Nice one, Ryan. What a great description. He sure does throw a hissy fit whenever someone replies to him. He should change his avatar to a big baby in a diaper.

249. NFL part two. Four-hour games every night.

250. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Hmmm perhaps.

I am kind of a big deal.

BTW, dish all ya want. Doesn’t get my panties in a bunch.

My, my, who is acting like the 6 year old now?

By the way tough guy, you don’t scare me.

Do you talk to your superior officers like this?
    Fine example you set.

Grow up.

252. Patrick(ri) says:

Are they just afraid of making it too clear how bad an ump Davidson is?

253. Wild Bill says:

It wouldn’t surprise me if at the end of the season Bob Davidson will be in the top five for overturned calls.

254. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Butthurt is mild. Seriously.

Big deal in your own mind.
    Not dishing, just showing you how much of a hypocrite and baby you are by using your same tactics against you.

It was so peaceful while you were gone.
    Now I can look forward to trouble with everything I post.

256. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I tend to have respect for them and you are far from superior of me.

That was determined years ago when he was fired. Lucky for him the umps used to have a very strong union.

Hey, another troublemaker.
    JD, you sure don’t disappoint either.

Another one that can’t pass up an opportunity to come after me.

So then why don’t you skip over my posts?

260. cberry88 says:

I shall never declare a win ever again…..I am at your mercy.

261. With you 100% John. I don’t like it in any sport except hockey for goals.

262. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

The problem is it doesn’t bother me.

263. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

At least I give you something to look forward to.

People like you who cause trouble are never bothered by anything.

265. JD says:

Be careful plan, the fictitious “group” is circling in cyberspace, waiting to “attack”" Beware the “group”.

No you don’t.
    Trust me.

267. J Walter Weatherman says:

Anyone remember what Grilli’s velocity was last year? 94 to 96 MPH? Loss of a couple MPH is trouble for a closer.

268. cberry88 says:

They blew it on the Marte call. I do believe, however, that they’re gonna iron out the inconsistencies as the year goes on. Nothing is perfect at first.

No, I know exactly who attacks me, troublemaker.

270. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

You need to find the Shawn Estes pic of him eating one.

Kinda funny and…..well

(Not always a trouble maker)

271. Patrick(ri) says:

Bob D must think he is in Atlanta!

272. J Walter Weatherman says:

I thought the Strike 2 call on Alvarez was bad last inning. That strike call was brutal.

273. J Walter Weatherman says:

Ted Bonafacio Williams

274. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Because at times I feel the need to post.

It’s allowed.

Who on earth is this Bonafacio guy?
    4 hits each of the first 2 games against the Pirates. :(

276. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

You just said I did.

277. Wild Bill says:

Grilli is indeed throwing slower fastballs.

278. Patrick(ri) says:

Here is a scary thought: the Cubs have a better offense than we do.

279. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Not true.

I get bothered by many things, I just happen to have thick skin.

Plan, you wouldn’t survive in my world. Not a dig, just a fact.

280. cberry88 says:

I take responsibility for this spectacle tonight. Lay the criticism on me, not the team.

281. J Walter Weatherman says:

As I was saying, Grilli ain’t right. I sense that Watson, Wilson, and Morris will be needed to pick up the slack for Melancon and Grilli this year. The question is how long is the leash for those guys.

Not that I’m panicking in the 2nd game of the season.

Crap

Well time for another walkoff

283. Florida Steeler says:

Good job Grilli.

I said I can look forward to trouble, not that I WAS looking forward to it.

Reading comprehension is your friend.

You think maybe Grilli is still hurt from last year?
    Or it didn’t heal enough for him to regain velocity?

286. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I saw a lot of sliders there from Grilli.

I don’t care if he’s lost some on the FB. Still early. Arm might not be fully there, but missing his spots is a bigger issue.

287. Nate83 says:

Starting pitchers 12 scoreless innings and no wins to show for it.

288. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Ha! Reading comprehension jab, good one.

Wanna compare education levels as well?

289. cberry88 says:

C’mon Ishikawa!

290. JD says:

Ok, pal.

291. J Walter Weatherman says:

I have no clue, but he certainly hasn’t regained his pre-injury velocity.

Melancon’s flaws were also exposed late in the season. I have more faith in him than Grilli right now, but not by much. I have more faith in the stuff from Watson and Wilson, but closing games can be as much mental as physical.

292. Wild Bill says:

Davidson must be the one who has a date with Keri Russell.

293. J Walter Weatherman says:

Well, it’s the same weakness the Pirates had last year and they added no new bats. You do the math.

I wonder if this game will end before I go to work in the morning ?

295. chethejet1 says:

This is going to be an ongoing issue this year. The bull pen is fine, but just asking them to do what they did last year is to much. Grilli will not be as good but he is Ok. But without more pop, I can’t see this team taking any team for granted. Lot’s of nail byters on the horizon

No, I don’t want anything to do with you, troublemaker…….. a point that is lost on you.

297. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Somebody wants to go home early.

298. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Game 2. Way to early to call.

You might be right.

Maybe its a mental thing with Grilli, that he doesn’t want to overthrow and get injured again.

300. cberry88 says:

er…C’mon Mercer!

301. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Probably a good idea on your part.

There is a snippet on the 79 Bucs on Root Sports, Dave Parker looks in not too good of a shape

Reminds me of the later pictures of Willie

Thoughts are with the Cobra right now

303. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Frank Rizzo up.

304. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Huge Wilson fan, but I don’t see any issues with MM after 2 games in the season.

305. J Walter Weatherman says:

If I’m pitching, I’m throwing everything at least 6-inches out the normal strike zone, which is BD’s actual strike zone.

306. DJ says:

I’m curious. Dual allegiances?

307. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I’m sure you have a list.

And add to it as you roll on the lipstick.

308. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Agree.

Use the Tom Glavine approach.

309. Steelag70 says:

Sure glad we addressed the lack of impact bats in the offseason (rolling my eyes)…

Trust me, you don’t scare me, tough guy.
    Just move along.

311. J Walter Weatherman says:

I still think Wilson can be a good starting pitcher, but this team needs him in the relief role. Closer could be his role in the next year or two.

312. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Tabata’s music makes me want to dance!!

313. Steelag70 says:

Tabby dancing around the bases right here would be even better!

314. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Exactly what Tabby needed to do. Time for Marte to bunt him over .

315. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

You haven’t seen me dance though.

316. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Not a fan of this. Move him over. Marte’s ABs have looked terrible all night.

Same pitch there

A big, strong man like Parker.
    Parkinson’s is an awful disease. As is dementia.
    My Mother had both, and it is an awful thing to see up close.

I hope they find a cure for this soon.
    And, I hope Parker at least can live with this, before it gets too much worse.

318. J Walter Weatherman says:

Marte is the wild card for the Pirates offense. You can’t expect many others to have better offensive years than last year, based on their talent level. Marte is one of the few exceptions. If he can make a jump towards his offensive ceiling, that’ll really help the offense.

319. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Wilson has had a bit of a control problem while he was a SP in the minors, but I wouldn’t mind seeing the change.

Not this year though.

320. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Travis Snider with his one hit for the week already.

Maybe if were lucky it’ll start raining.

322. Steelag70 says:

I thought it was for the month??

Vin Mazzaro’s old spot. Won 8 games doing this last year.

Remember when we were all young. You know before this game started.

Thanks Milo.

Next time they show a video of the Cobra Sign in 79, look for a little 3 year old dancing a couple of rows behind. That is Demon Dachshund. I don’t remember the name of the lady that would bring the sign, but she was there every day, always in the same seats, and those seats were first come, first serve.

I remember in the early 70s, there was a buzz about the Cobra, he was cooking heat in the minors, am not sure how some of my friends knew about him.

Good times, good memories about the Cobra

Have only watched the last couple of innings, since my lady went to bed, but that home plate ump should be fired

327. cberry88 says:

Thank goodness they employed the intentional walk. Where did Bonifacio come from???

Who will the Cubs get to hand off the MVP trophy to Bonifacio at next year’s Cubs opening day ?

Already was once.

330. cberry88 says:

Also I’m surprised those pitches on the intentional walk weren’t called strikes.

331. Chuck H says:

Yes, and I’d bet that 99% of the other teams have more offense than the Bucs. Morton had his first win until the
    so-called closers came in. The Pirates have got to start hitting, but don’t count on it.

332. J Walter Weatherman says:

Easy. Sammy Sosa.

I just read your post from above.
    Kinda stunning he was fired and brought back.

Ha!

335. J Walter Weatherman says:

Castro has been getting the Buccos out of a lot of jambs this series.

A goat.

337. DJ says:

McCutchen had better end it right here because I have to get up real early tomorrow.

Need to do some early posting on the game.

Ok, now is the time

339. J Walter Weatherman says:

I don’t know what’s better. The Cubs pitcher looking like The Dude or that his name is Schlitter.

I’m calling a Cutch walk off right now.

(For the love of God, I need to go to bed)

Abby wants to go to bed, but she won’t leave the couch till I do, what a horrible first strike on Cutch

But strikes & balls aren’t reviewable because those aren’t important.

343. The Gunner says:

Time for another walk off from Pedro

He abides and ++ on the post.

If only Harry Caray was still with us with Schlitter pitching.

WGN would be paying FCC fines every week.

346. DJ says:

Schlitter sounds like a cool pitch.

“Yeah, the kid throws a helluva schlitter.”

347. J Walter Weatherman says:

He just wanted a new rug and ended up on the Cubs. A poor result for The Dude.

Imagine if you were there, a good hour or two till you close your eyes

349. cberry88 says:

They’re just making sure we get our money’s worth tonight since tomorrow will most likely be rained out.

Well,he was usually schlitfaced most games. I think I read he would have been 100 on his latest birthdate?

That reminds me. I need to pick up a 12 pack of Schlitters for the weekend.

352. J Walter Weatherman says:

“He’s going to the schlitter for this next pitch.”

353. Steelag70 says:

This offense is putrid…

354. DJ says:

I got a kick out of the one ump clapping early on when Mercer was picked off and there was no challenge of the first base ump’s call.

It was like he was celebrating a correct call. That is his job, right?

Ratso Rizzo.

Good night, Gents.

It doesn’t matter who you’re playing. If you play stinky enough, you lose.

357. DJ says:

“He’s mixing in his schlurve with his schlitter.”

358. chethejet1 says:

Not a good game. Bucs had 2-0 lead. Just the inability to hit average pitching is troublesome.

359. J Walter Weatherman says:

When you have almost as many errors (2) as hits (3), I’m pretty sure you deserve to lose.

360. Steelag70 says:

Rocked by Rizzo…game over folks…

361. cberry88 says:

LET’S GO BUCS!!!

362. twentytwo22 says:

tired of they’ll hit, i want they hit.

This can’t be correct.

Pirates have had one hit since the 5th?

364. Steelag70 says:

Sure glad we didn’t trade prospects or spend money for an impact bat during the offseason…(rolling eyes again)

365. DJ says:

Hey, welcome back Plan.

I thought you and Ryan might still be out in the alley.

366. Patrick(ri) says:

Last year it was the Pirates who would hit the base bags. This may not be our year — obviously too soon to say stuff like this, but this game has been frustrating.

LOL.

I am having a hard time believing that the Bucs have had only 1 hit since the 5th.

368. Baywatch says:

Seems we’ve had this conversation before. We’ve generally been punchless for a LONG time. One game.

Ok, maybe we need to invest in some magic beans?

370. Steelag70 says:

It is sad but true Plan….putrid offense tonight.

371. Patrick(ri) says:

The old man can still hit 94 on the gun. In combo with Bob’s strike zone, this will be tough.

372. Steelag70 says:

It might cost top prospects or be too high of a market price Plan…

373. Patrick(ri) says:

Just a little out of Bob’s zone!

Magic beans shouldn’t cost much….. but they don’t come with “years of control”.

375. JRay3 says:

How about a little two out Marte Magic. Long overdue for a hit.

+++

377. DJ says:

Marte is the man!

378. JRay3 says:

The 31 million dollar man, you betcha!

You called it!

Now, one more.

380. Steelag70 says:

MARTE PARTAY!!

381. DJ says:

We win this one and I’m buying a round of schlitters for the house.

382. Patrick(ri) says:

Gotta take two?

383. Patrick(ri) says:

A frosty one for all, from the nan with the best avatar on the blog!

Do they still make Schlitz beer?
    I don’t drink, so I don’t really follow brands that much….

385. JRay3 says:

Wow have to say that was one gutsy pitch Veras threw there and after throwing 34 pitches to boot.

386. J Walter Weatherman says:

M-V-oops

387. Steelag70 says:

Jebus Cutch…get it going, huh?

388. DJ says:

74 mph knee buckler.

Takes some guts/control to throw that 3-2.

What day is it? I gotta go to, nevermind ;-)

390. cberry88 says:

Ughh all we have to do is take a walk or get a single. It seems like we were trying to do too much at once.

391. J Walter Weatherman says:

No doubt a good pitch. Bad swings by Cutch prior though.

392. Baywatch says:

Sheesh, how I LOVE/HATE this game! I mean BASEBALL! In GENERAL!

Crap, now the home plate ump starts to have a real strike zone

394. Steelag70 says:

Cutch, Pedro and Martin…0-14 tonight…way to to lead guys…

Barmes is at first?

396. cberry88 says:

Who needs a platoon at 1st when we have Barmes?

397. DJ says:

Thanks, Patrick, but I gotta go with Jandhi’s.

But then again, she’s a woman so I now re-appreciate the compliment, unless you meant “nun,” in which case we’d be back to Jandhi.

398. cberry88 says:

This ump’s strike zone has been SILLY at best. To be fair though, he has been as equally SILLY to both us and the Cubs.

399. Patrick(ri) says:

++. Ipaditis, and an unwarranted gender assumption.

400. DJ says:

Pedro! Absolutely love to see our team go the other way.

Was hoping that Cutch was thinking that last inning but it appeared he was looking to pull it.

401. Steelag70 says:

Good start!

402. Steelag70 says:

Let’s go PK!!

403. JRay3 says:

Bases loaded nobody out, time to finish this off.

Good teams find ways to win even when they don’t play there best ball.

404. DJ says:

Ha! Just bustin’ ya.

405. Baywatch says:

In having streaming issues: Have we won yet? LOL!

Is Gaby hurt?

Crap

408. DJ says:

I was actually hoping for a strikeout there once Barmes got 2 strikes.

409. Steelag70 says:

Uggggghhhh!!!

410. DJ says:

What was that Hurdle said about improving their situational hitting this year?

Horrible.

411. Nate83 says:

Reds still have not scored after 17 innings this year and the Cardinals only have 1 run. NL Central not exactly off to an offensive explosion.

412. DJ says:

Not keeping track of our bench but was Barmes our only/best option that last at bat?

Gawwwd

414. JRay3 says:

Unreal

415. Steelag70 says:

Wow…putrid, putrid offense…

416. cberry88 says:

Barmes=Me taking a healthy swig of scotch

417. Baywatch says:

ANOYying!!

418. DJ says:

. . . or have another schlitter.

419. Steelag70 says:

Sure glad we saved our payroll and prospects during the offseason and not seek to improve the offense any…

420. Nate83 says:

Only Tony Sanchez is left on the bench.

421. Karen22 says:

WHY AM I STILL UP??!!

422. DJ says:

On Barmes, if you have a Bobby Tolan batting stance you got to know they are going to go under your hands with every pitch. And even if you get wood on it, more times than not the result will be what everyone just witnessed.

Just a horrible at bat by him.

423. DJ says:

Thanks, Nate.

Now my question: What were we saving him for?

I’ve been up since 4:30. Have a heart guys.

You just said Bobby Tolan. Awesome.

426. Patrick(ri) says:

Recall, these are the same guys who couldn’t hit a SF for most of a season. Too much to expect one in just two games.

427. Steelag70 says:

END THIS NOW!!!

428. cberry88 says:

I guess that’d be a shot of scotch dropped into a 312 beer but f**k that….how bout a shot of scotch dropped into a ’412′….a shot of scotch dropped into an ‘ahrn’ city beer.

429. Karen22 says:

Can’t watch the train wreck anymore…maybe they’ll still be playing in the morning. G’nite. :(

430. cberry88 says:

So glad I don’t have to work tomorrow

431. Baywatch says:

Hey, Milo! “Miles and Miles and Miles of Heart!”

As someone noted before, Hinske put on some weight.

Some = a lot
    Before = yesterday.

433. DJ says:

Loved baseball as a kid, Milo.

A rekindled interest over the last two years.

434. Steelag70 says:

Who the @&$! is this Bonifacio????

The longest game at PNC Park is 18 innings. I was there & made it the whole way. Here’s the story. It’s from the other paper but I think the author owns intellectual property rights.

436. Steelag70 says:

Can we please end the Travis Snider experiment NOW??

437. DJ says:

I hope Wandy is home sleeping.

I was also at the longest game at Three Rivers, 20 innings against the Cubs in 1980. Last game before the All Star break. Jim Bibby won in relief (we were out of pitchers). Omar Moreno singled in the winning run.

439. JRay3 says:

Stolmy!

At 57 pitches not sure how much more he can give. Great outing.

Reds beat Cards in a game that was delayed 3 hours by rain 1-0 as each of those teams have scored 1 run in first two games.

440. Patrick(ri) says:

Those nuts in the stands are more fun to watch than the game.

441. JRay3 says:

I think both teams will be doing a rain dance for tomorrow after the conclusion of this one.

I’m not sure how I feel about this replay system. I’m all for getting calls right …..

443. DJ says:

These are both bad omens for tonight, Milo.

I need to be in bed by 3:30 a.m.

Holy cow, they’re still playing! I fell asleep and then my old foe insomnia woke me up. Turned on the TV and saw it was still going on!

445. Steelag70 says:

Come on Neil!!

Jandy, what day is it?

447. Patrick(ri) says:

Irony = a Barmes HR.

448. Steelag70 says:

Let’s play 16!!!

449. Patrick(ri) says:

I know how to end this thing — bring in our fifth starter . . .

450. DJ says:

I might suggest the crowd start singing Sweet Caroline but the last time I heard it Miami was busy crushing Pitt.

Notice they had a day game after that one too. Bet Dejan remembers that game.

Someone suggested earlier, lets play 3 today

We just might

Sometimes a tie is a just result. Nobody deserves to win this game. Take a lesson from the Japanese. If nobody wins by the 12th, it’s a tie. Or, just put Volquez in. That ought to do it.

You beat me to it.

Conversation heard in my house -

So how was the Pitt game ?

“Didn’t even make it to Sweet Caroline.”

456. cberry88 says:

All i know is my….bones they rattle, my bones they shake….hopefully the bucs are the inner lake

457. DJ says:

Priceless

458. Patrick(ri) says:

Now, for god’s sake, don’t load the bases!

459. JRay3 says:

Tony Sanchez!!!! Buccos winners!

460. Patrick(ri) says:

Where has this kid been all night?.

461. DJ says:

Tonyyyyy!

Scratch that, play til someone wins.

463. Lad 9 says:

Raise it! Woo hoo!

464. Baywatch says:

Hey, John! Stick around for the “Up Here!” (And a potential “Fear The Bones” from Patton BB!)

We had em allllllllllllllll the way.

466. Patrick(ri) says:

Tough thing to do!

:-)

468. JRay3 says:

Behind a Tony Sanchez game winning RBI in the 16th that followed a big two Out RBI in the 12th from Starling Marte to re-tie the game, the Buccos squeak past the Cubs 4-3 in 16 innings and there was nooooooo doubt about it.

Stolmy Pimental earns the win as the seventh Pirates pitcher of the night throwing 4 scoreless innings. Charlie Morton started and was dominant in his 6 shutout innings.

With the win the Pirates open the 2014 campaign with a series win and improve to 2-0.

The Bucs will look for the sweep in less than 12 hours when Wandy Rodriguez returns to the mound for the Bucs.

Let’s Go Bucs.

469. Stuart says:

Can Tony play first?

Stuart

470. Steelag70 says:

Bedtime!!

471. Baywatch says:

John, WHERE ARE YOU? Up here!! And Patton BB, them bones were DRY tonight, but yes, still to be feared!!

472. cberry88 says:

Raise the jolly roger!

Now, let’s go to sleep.

473. pattonbb says:

….fear the Bones….

474. cberry88 says:

Raise the Jolly Roger!

Now let us go to bed.

475. Baywatch says:

Yessssssss!!!!

476. Chuck H says:

Another extra inning game and the Bucs will be worn out before the end of April.

I’ll take the W. Good night all, good tidings

hey, it’s Patton :)

HUMP DAY (it was…)
    LOL

I went to bed at 10 lol

481. And so, the Pirates won in 16 and took the opening series. And now, there’s one more this afternoon, weather permitting. We’d all been warned to expect games like this this season since the Bucs don’t have enough offense, and it looks like that’s how it will be all right. And the only reason why the Cubs lost is because they don’t seem to have enough offense either. Anyhow, at least the Pirates won’t be 1-5 like they were at the beginning of last season when they lost two of three in Chicago.

482. Nate83 says: