On location: Cardinals 6, Pirates 1

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (3-1) vs. St. Louis Cardinals (2-2)

Time: 7:05 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, Radio: MLB Network (national), 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page. And here’s our Bucco Blog with all the pitching matchups, lineups, etc. Rob Biertempfel, Travis Sawchik and I are on the scene for the Trib.

UPDATE 4:16 p.m.: The Pirates have extended the contracts of Neal Huntington and Clint Hurdle. Here are some videos I just shot of those two and Frank Coonelly, who made the announcement …

Comments

FIRST!

LET’S GO BUCS !!

Now that Hurdle and Huntington are here til 2018.

2. JD says:

Great news!!

3. JRay3 says:

Just want to get this out of the way early today- yes Ike Davis hit a walk-off PH grand slam to help the Mets defeat the Reds 6-3 as Hoover blew save. Now that that is out of the way….

Congrats to Clint Hurdle and NH for their extensions. Since Clint has arrived in Pittsburgh and taking over a team that won just 57 games the year before his arrival he has gone on to win 72, 79 and 94 games in his first three seasons. Definitive improvement and has fulfilled his promise of reconnecting the city with its baseball team and getting that bond back.

I remember all the jokes tossed his way when he proclaimed 95 wins as the goal, well he got the last laugh and he believed in the process and the job he and his team were doing. He has made the Pirates relevant again, with the help of better development, drafting and building of a ball club.

Bucs are in very good hands for the foreseeable future.

Go Bucs!

4. Barb says:

I agree. I was wondering what was taking them so long. Well deserved IMHO.

5. Brandie says:

New Dance Craze…The Hurdle Hustle!!!

Congratulations to Mr. Huntington and Mr. Clint. Thank you for making baseball fun again.

6. ++++++++++++++++++ to JRay, Barb and Branduntington.

7. Brandie says:

Thanks Revvie Darlin’.

8. DJ says:

Maybe the “administrative” delay in the Huntington/Hurdle paperwork was due to that same fax machine. They really need to ditch that dinosaur.

Very interesting that Frank Coonelly is without a written contract. Wondering if Nutting wants to see how Frank’s year goes — personal and professional — before deciding.

9. Lambo not in the lineup for Indy again today against a righty, too. Wonder if he’s hurt. McGuiness has started both games for Indy and has a homer today. Cumpton tossing a shutout through 6.

Oh well, the Ishikawa era is in full play it seems anyway.

10. Brandie says:

Ishikawa The Indefatigable!!!!!

ETCH IT YINZ!!!! (Doing my best Buggee!)

Any phantom rain in the forecast tonight?

I’m glad that they resigned Huntington and Hurdle, but will never be a supporter of Slick Frank. I was listening to the FAN when the news broke, actually I was hoping that they were going to announce another player extension.

13. Clint Hurdle I love. I’d run through a wall for him.

Heal Huntington being extended is like having a son-in-law you cannot stand. You cannot change him; you do not want the marriage (Pirates) to fail just to get rid of him; so you try to make nice and ignore him when possible.

Holes in a contending team are to be filled———not light candles and hope someone falls into your lap off the waiver wire.

14. Oshkosh b’Gosh,

If you pass by here, I want you to know I’m rooting hard for you tonight!!!

What a wonderful experience you get to have . . . . I’m truly praying it extends to Monday night!

15. Brandie says:

I agree with Groatmeal’s sentiments. May it be a wonderful Tim for you and yours.

+++++

Only 1 person deserves the extension, and that is Clint Hurdle.

Neal might deserve a 1 year extension, but not 4.
    This past offseason was reason enough to not grant 4 extra years.
    Thing I don’t like about him, and even though he may be a genuinely nice guy is ……… he always tries to be the smartest man in every room, and isn;t afraid to let you know about it.

But, it’s done, so I guess we have to make the best of it.
    I just hope he learns lessons from this past offseason, and is successful in the future.

Time also. ;)

My rooting interests for tonight are as follows …….

Riverpuppies,
    Pirates,
    Pens,
    Connecticut,
    Wisconsin.

Just can’t bear the thought of a Donovan-Calipari final Monday. :(

“he always tries to be the smartest man in every room, and isn;t afraid to let you know about it.”

That can be very annoying.

19. bpn8pitt says:

I think Huntington did deserve the extension. Very much so.

94 wins and a top rated farm system ( yes JJ Davis and Chad Hermansen, I know that means nothing)? I’ll take it. And I’ve been an outspoken critic of Huntington from day 1. Rome wasn’t built in a day, bpn8pitt.

Now, what I would like to see is getting those gentlemen some good to great external players. In addition to what’s coming up.

Hell, I hope Volquez throws 6 scoreless tommorow. Good to be wrong sometimes.

I don’t particularly like NH’s personality, or some of his cronies, but you have to admit that there is talent in the system and success at the ML level. I don’t think he went all in this season (so far), but I am expecting success much more than just simply hoping ;-)

You know, 21, I’ve always suggested he take a Dale Carnegie class or two ;-)

22. Dom says:

Wait.

How can the Pirates extend Neal Huntington’s contract today if the Steelers opening isn’t until September?

Slickster is now cockier?

24. Echo 10-fold. Go Badgers, humiliate UK!

I think the light bulb just went on

In 1998, the Pirates also had the #1 rated farm system. Look where that ended up. Now, we have a situation where a future “ace” could be staring at arm surgery. You just never, ever know with prospects.

The 94 wins were a great thing, but I view Huntington for his overall body of work, not just 2013. I know I am in the distinct minority on this blog for that viewpoint, but oh well.

I still remember the Bay trade, which he screwed up 50 ways from Sunday, the 2009 draft class, that is a big “meh”, the 2010 debacle, etc. In Neal’s defense, he has improved greatly over the past 2 years …….. that’s why I favored a 1 year extension for him, not 4.

But, hey, let’s see him grow, and have continued success.
    After all, it’s the Pirates I root for, not Huntington.

27. Dom says:

I don’t see the need in extending Huntington.

What specifically did he do to warrant an extension?

He did obtain good players in the draft by paying over slot but that should have been obvious.

He did the same thing for Latin American signings but that also should have been obvious.

His trade record is mediocre.

All in all I feel he’s an average GM. I’m not upset we gave him the extension, I just don’t see the rush.

28. Nutting actually extended Huntington during Steeler season.

Coonelly just got around to announcing it today.

Oh I wasn’t talking about Huntington.

Its them dam new fangled light bulbs that give me the problem ;-)

The official word was “the paperwork”

32. Dom says:

Well, he was probably busy. He is the president and all.

I think Gayo (sp) is the one that needs resigned regarding Latin America success

Wholeheartedly agree on Gayo.
    Man has a very good eye for procuring talent.

We know.
    You were speaking of yourself.
    Bravo. :)

36. Dom says:

I agree about Gayo.

What has been NH’s crowning achievements?

No, Frank was still crowing about the TV deal being in the top half.
    Top half of what, still hasn’t been determined.

But at least he didn’t hide this one, so credit to him.
    Baby steps, I guess.

He hasn’t screwed anything up too bad, yet ;-)

Russell Martin, and Francisco Liriano, and Gerrit Cole.

40. Pucknutz says:

Whats up with this? I am getting Atl/Nats – MLB on Consolidated????
    Mistake or am I missing something?

41. Wild Bill says:

Liriano looking very hittable, and they’re hitting him.

42. pattonbb says:

Nice piece of hitting by Snider there.

43. Andrew says:

These announcers are insufferable, Craig no errors in the outfield for his career. That because he cannot get to anything.

Here we go……….

;-)

Do we know what Gayo percentage is? Good signings vs bad signings?

47. Patrick(ri) says:

Perhaps Liriano is not a cold-weather pitcher? Looks better in second.

48. Karen22 says:

Yup…Frankie not being Frankie early.

Collapse III began in the first inning tonight and you’re worried about Gayo?

50. Wild Bill says:

Dreadful third strike call on Ishikawa!

I think with Marte and hopefully Polanco, Hanson and that Rodrigues? He can be Pedro like and K when he doesn’t homer ;-)

52. Patrick(ri) says:

Liaison made him throw lots of pitches and now he is pushing 60,no matter how this inning turns out.

53. Patrick(ri) says:

“Liriano”

We seem to keep track of NH’s percentage. Why not Gayo?

And I like Gayo

55. Wild Bill says:

Back in the game with a run and a lot more effort out of Kelly. Liriano must hold the fort.

56. Andrew says:

He is not missing many bats, lucky they have pounded the ball into the ground the last 2 innings.

57. Patrick(ri) says:

Everybody at Penguins or watching Conn take flat apart?

And UConn goes to the title game Monday night.
    Yeah !!!

Now for Oshie’s Badgers to do the same.

59. cmat0829 says:

Seems like a very good crowd at the game tonight… really into it…. Bucs battling, Frankie settled down… Kelly has a big arm but just seems like he is a thrower not a pitcher…

LETS GO BUCS

60. Amen. One SEC team down and one to go. Wish Drew were here to pump the SEC.

61. cmat0829 says:

not many had UConn in their brackets to get to the finals I bet… good for them, they play hard. Not a big fan of Billy Donovan and FLA….

No matter the opponent, and especially if it’s Kentucky, it’s a surprising final matchup. Just points to the parity of college basketball with all the one-and-dones….

62. Patrick(ri) says:

I would really like to see calliperi(sp?) suffer. The man is a corrosive influence on college BB, to summarize Bobby Knight’s comments from a couple of years ago.

63. Andrew says:

Have to get some runs against Kelly, guy has a fastball and nothing else, and he cannot locate against lefties.

64. Meanwhile, they’ve been running ads for the upcoming Disney sports film: Million Dollar Arm, due to be released on May 16, about two pitchers from India: Rinku Singh and Dinesh Patel, who the Pirates signed to their farm system during 2008.

65. JD says:

Have you ever been in a room with him?

I think he’s done an excellent job the last few years.

66. JD says:

+++ I hear you 21.

John Calipari is what is wrong with college basketball.
    Rumor has it he may flop back to the NBA to coach again.

68. JD says:

You’re right plan, our future ace “might” have arm surgery. F**#ing Huntington. How dare he get an extension. Plus, he messed up a trade 6 yrs ago, fire the bum.

69. Wild Bill says:

Kelly’s been pitching around Alvarez all night.

70. Patrick(ri) says:

With the contact Martin and Walker made, it looks like the right strategy. Should get to him next inning, if Matheney leaves him in.

71. DJ says:

Couple comments about Marte and Liriano, the city in the background, and then how fabulous all of the their minor league talent is.

I guess until we knock ‘em off the pedestal, they’re still the big brother Cards patting the little brother Bucs on the head.

72. Patrick(ri) says:

Cards announcers did not think much of Mate on that one!

73. JD says:

On MLB? I agree. Why don’t we get the home team announcers?

74. Patrick(ri) says:

Spell checker won’t even spell his name.

75. DJ says:

They’re talking about your wife now?

Let me at those friggin’ announcers.

76. Patrick(ri) says:

+++

77. Patrick(ri) says:

OK, Matheney’s error — make him pay!

78. DJ says:

Because they’re the Cards.

And we’re the Little Sisters of the North Side.

Yeah, and I bet a number of teams would hire him right now.

Great videos DK. Especially the one with FC

You are consistent to say the least.

First, my Taillon comment was in regards to bpn’s minor-league rankings comment. It has nothing to do with Huntington.

Second, if you would have read my comment, you would see that I thought Huntington deserved an extension, just not 4 years. Typical troublemaking from you.

Third, Huntington has had other bad trades besides the Bay trade. That particular blunder set the franchise back 2-3 additional years.

Fourth, I did say Huntington has improved the past 2 years, so what the he** was your point again? Oh, that’s right, you didn’t read my post as usual, you just twisted what I did say so you could cause trouble again. Like I said, consistent.

Have a great life, pal.

I thought they got 3 years plus a club option for another one.

He did, but in most cases, the club exercises the option until a new deal can be reached. I just consider it 4 years, but you are right.

OshKosh’s badgers winning early 17-11.

85. JD says:

Attack! Attack!

86. 66sports says:

Good for NH to get an extension. Now all he needs to get is a quality major league hitter or two.

87. JD says:

Hey OshKosh. 4 pt lead at halftime. I hope they bring in the W.

88. Daquido_Bazzini says:

I hate a real “nothing” game like that from the Pirates.