Pirates 2, Cardinals 1

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (3-2) vs. St. Louis Cardinals (3-2)

Time: 1:35 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, Radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page. And here’s our Bucco Blog with all the pitching matchups, lineups, etc. Rob Biertempfel, Travis Sawchik and I are on the scene for the Trib.

If you missed it, the Sunday column was about Frank Coonelly’s role a couple years back in making all these front-office extensions possible.

Comments

Gabby Sanchez makes the Sunday afternoon lineup.

2. Andrew says:

Will Pimentel be warming up by 1:45?

Bucs need more offense like Friday, and less like last night.

If I remember correctly, last year the Bucs did well in Sunday games.
    Need to get to Wainright early.

Volquez needs to just get through 5 innings.
    Less than that, and I am afraid of what it will look like.
    COME ON 2-SEAMER !!!!

Where’d you find that?

I went to DK’s Bucco Blog link, but apparently 24/7 has been too busy to update since Game 3.

Really don’t understand the logic at 1B and catcher, what so ever.

Hurdle has said that he’s looking to play Gaby in the right spots against RHP. How in the hell does starting him against the best right handed breaking ball in the league qualify as the right spot?

We’ve heard all year how much Russell Martin helped the pitching staff. Clearly then makes sense to start the rookie with the team’s worst starting pitcher.

SMH.

Thanks, Andrew.

But I was able to find it on the PITTSBURGH POST GAZETTE’S web site in 10 seconds.

I found it on the twitter. But not from 24/7′s twitter account.

Maybe because he got along with Tony so well in Spring Training?

:-D

RIGHT?!?

Kevin Orie seems like a nice guy. But I am not a fan of his work on the pre or post game shows.

VIVA LA ROCCO!

12. Baywatch says:

Morning, All! Well, still morning here … I should be able to catch the whole game before I head in to work at 4. Be interesting to see how Gaby fares against Wainright.

Wow. See you in 2015, Jameson.

Yep, NH just said on his radio show that JT is going to have TJ surgery

Good luck Jameson!

Did you catch how he said that the second opinion CONFIRMED the first of an injury to his UCL?

That was really odd.

18. JRay3 says:

Knew once management went all mum on that this was the most likely course if action.

Really disappointed for Taillon, wish him a speedy recovery and that he makes it back even stronger.

Tough blow for the organization.

Ugh. Lump in my stomach just hearing that. Kid is tough, though.

You know, last year, when anyone criticized Hurdle, or merely questioned his decisions, all sorts of things were said against those that dares question him. Things like ….

** He has led the team to 94 wins!
    ** He knows more than you do !!
    And, in the offseason ,,,,
    ** He is the Manger of the Year!!

A few weeks ago, when someone asked when the criticism of Hurdle would begin this year, someone answered “Opening Day pre-game introductions” !!

Today, there is a criticism of Hurdle above. NMR has every right to criticize, as does anyone else, but being most people support Hurdle, and after all the things I listed about people who don’t want any criticism of Hurdle, I find it a bit odd to question the Manager of the Year on his decisions today, regarding Gaby, and T-Sizzle. They are legitimate criticisms. Just thinking out loud I guess.

Here is to the Sanchezes proving us all wrong, Volquez turning in a competent performance, and the Bucs getting to Wainright.
    ( With Ishikawa hitting the walk-off HR to win it). :)

This is not good news at all.

Jim brought up a good point last week, that taillon might be gone for close to 2 years. Average recovery time from TJ surgery is 10-12 months. Then, add another 1-2 months for intense rehab/throwing off mound ………. that takes him to June 2015. Then, send him to AAA, and I guess Jim was right about the 2 years thing.

We can only hope his recovery goes well, no setbacks, and he gets a little ahead of schedule.

Man, he and Cole could have been a great 1-2 punch.

I am just glad the Pirates didn’t dawdle with this decision.
    get it over with, and let the recovery begin.

Reverend, can I get a double??

Look a bit closer, Washington’s PLANding. I’m specifically questioning the logic, not the decision.

If Clint Hurdle came out and said he’d be going with his voluminous gut for all decisions, then so be it. As you said, he’s the reigning Manager of the Year, and certainly knows a lot more baseball than I do.

But if he states a given way of thinking and then seemingly goes directly against it, now I have an issue.

Any word on a VM trade?

26. JRay3 says:

Today’s news just underscores that you can never have too much pitching.

This now makes two Top 20 pitching prospects lost for the year as Taillon joins Clay Holmes as young arms that will have TJ this season.

Logic/schmogic …. decision/division …..

I am not questioning anything in game #6. :D

Get back to me in July. :D

28. Andrew says:

Damn, there is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Typically, the throwing rehab/mound work is included in the 12 month projection. Kyle McPherson, for example, has been throwing bullpens for about three weeks and is nine months removed from surgery.

Still, I’d find it difficult to believe he’d be ready for Big League callup before the All Star break.

Jameson, that is.

Yeah, since he has only what, 7 innings at AAA?

It might be April 2016 til we see him.

Neal says he’s surprised nobody wants him. Seriously.

I mean, there would have to be serious rehab setbacks and/or development issues to not get him up for September. But who knows.

Looks like they’re gonna have to give Volquez a QO, just in case… ;)

But also says they see Stolmy as a starter next year and loves the progression Morris has made.

Made it seem like it was down to Gomez and VM.

you can never have too much pitching = Vance Worley

:-)

You do gotta love how comfortable Clint looks wearing that catchers mitt. Guy is still a ballplayer at heart, and I’m sure that goes a long way in the clubhouse.

38. Andrew says:

As far as playing Gaby against Wainright, I read either by one of the beat guys here, or at PG, that the Pirates want to limit Sanchez’s exposure to elite RHP velocity. I got nothing on Tony starting

Looking at the standings most teams have only played only 5 or 6 games. I’m surprised that no team is undefeated.
    And no team is winless.

40. JoeyBats says:

….so sorry to hear the Taillon news :-(

…good luck on the surgery, JAMO !!!

Sawchik has been running that theory on velocity, and it is a fine one, but I’m going to give Clint Hurdle enough credit to not believe that is actually the case.

Starting Gaby vs Wainright and not Joe Kelly simply because the latter throws a few mph faster is hilariously dumb.

“Taillon had a ‘compromised’ but not completely torn ligament, according to Huntington”

That from Travis’ twitter feed. Many other bucco reporters tweeting the same info.

(NMR, I have not checked 24/7 yet )

43. chethejet1 says:

That is why any organization has to develop depth. He will be back at some point and it will allow some options. But without him in 2015, you are left with Cole, Morton, Locke. Some of the young pitchers like Stormy and Crumpton may play larger roles next year. As to this year, can the Pirates trade one of the younger arms for a 1st baseman now that Tallion is out?

He’s probably busy getting the big boys coffee.

45. Dadtackular says:

If Jameson is out for a year, is there an affect with his free agent time clock or contract status?

DK: No. The only clock that counts is major-league service time.

Haven’t you just presented the obvious Catch 22?

47. cmat0829 says:

Bummer about Taillon… seems there has been a rash of TJ surgeries already this season…the two Braves pitchers and two DBacks pitchers come to mind immediately…. it is just a part of the game now, becoming more and more common. GodSpeed, Jameson, you WILL be back.

Not sure I get the criticism about the front office being ‘slow’ to announce this… I think Neal said it best today…this is ultimately JAMESON’s DECISION… we have no idea if he didn’t in fact decide on surgery the past 24 hours and hence the announcement. It serves no purpose to give a play by play of the exams, decision variables, options, likelihood of outcomes…. it would be insensitive to the player.

As to Mazarro, again, not sure what the rush is on resolution to this. Pirates DFA’d him, they can entertain trade offers, and tomorrow it will come to a conclusion. In my view, absolutely right call to keep Pimental who is now needed as a starting pitching option, Morris who has bigger upside, and Gomez who proves himself every time out on the mound since he has been here.

On Coonelly, my only view on him as the President of the club, is on how he handles the business side of the operation. I give him a D on that… likely a B on all things not associated with the media $$ contract, but a HUGE F on the media contract. Once that is opened for renewal and maximized, Frank can be an average to slightly above average President of a team. And hopefully he can become as anonymous as all of the other Presidents are around the league. As to his private life, including drinking, that is none of my business. If it impairs his ability to do his job, he should be fired. If not, then I say stay out of it.

Yeah, they had to move someone and they do like Stolmy

I think he’s saying it was just a matter of time till it ripped

50. cmat0829 says:

Step 1: Identify an available 1B for trade that is worthy of one of the Pirate top pitching prospects. That is the challenge.

To me, the Taillon injury amps up the pressure on Volquez (or Stolmy/Cumpton if he flames out) to stabilize things by June/July.. if not, veteran starting pitcher becomes the top trade-deadline priority for this team. AND there will be many more of that type available than impact 1B.

51. cmat0829 says:

makes the hanrahan trade (oh and the wonderful brock holt who some had penciled in as an allstar in the mold of alex presley) look that much better. Seems to me the focus was on Jerry Sands (AAAA fodder) and DeJesus when the attention should have been on Melancon and Stolmy.

52. The Gunner says:

Maybe Vinny will agree to go to Indy if there are no takers. That’s just awful news about Taillon.

53. cmat0829 says:

Lots of kibbitzing on the lineup choices today…. fact is Wainright is tough on anyone, and it isn’t like Ishi or Snyder or Martin are guarantees to hit this ace…so you roll the dice, go with a fresh Sunday lineup and see what happens. If Leyland were managing this is the same lineup that would be in there, no doubt in my mind.

Just find it hysterical that Ishikawa…the one that was tarred and feathered to even be on this roster is revered to get this start over Gaby….a one-time allstar. And Martin was either gonna start last night or today, no issue with him going yesterday.

54. cmat0829 says:

based on the bullpen riffraff being claimed the past week, zero chance Vin goes unclaimed. Teams just waiting to claim him rather than making a trade. I see him going to the Astros who I think have first dibs and have a free roster space.

They just said on Root that about 1/3 of the pitchers in MLB this year have had Tommy John surgery at some time in their careers

Doesn’t the waiver wire go by league first?
    That would give teams like Miami and the Cubs a shot.

Who has argued for Ishikawa?

58. cmat0829 says:

i stand corrected. i predict the Mess, then, I mean the Mets.

59. cmat0829 says:

yup. DBacks just lost Corbin, their version of Cole… they are very matter-of-fact about this, it happens, good to get surgery over with and then he will be stronger, etc. No panic.

There is not a 100% success rate on Tommy John surgery.

61. JRay3 says:

Ok who had Volquez throwing four zeroes up on the board in his first four innings this season?

Mixing his pitches really well, curve looks sharp and keeping the ball down in the zone.

62. cmat0829 says:

Um I guess I’m interpreting the “why is Gaby playing vs. Wainright” as advocating the only other current 1B option on this roster Ishi starting today. But please correct me, who’d be on your lineup card today at 1B if not Gaby?

Personally I can only plug in Russell Martin there but no idea if he has ever played 1B, I think he could but you are also giving him a day of rest today.

#cantpredictbaseball.

I’m arguing against the logic of starting Gaby against one of the best RHP in baseball.

Clint just did the equivalent of starting Pedro Alvarez for the first time this season against David Price.

No sense at all.

And what the hell does Jim Leyland have to do with anything?

Talk about appealing to authority. What an argument.

66. Andrew says:

Volquez issue is consistent fastball command, he can look good in stretches.

67. Andrew says:

Exactly.

68. cmat0829 says:

right, but there have been many, many, many recent examples of successful outcomes.. we are facing one on the mound today. I think my point was no reason to panic, that is a far cry from 100% success rate.

69. cmat0829 says:

it’s why you play the games, right? some would have volquez working at the concession stand by now….

Oh I’ll most certainly agree with you there, buddy.

You wonder if he could take a lesson from Liriano? I don’t think Edinson’s secondary pitches are nearly as good, but maybe one of them is a better strike pitch than his fastball.

72. JRay3 says:

Volquez pitching well, Barmes with first Pirate hit of the day….as NMR said, can’t predict baseball.

73. The Gunner says:

Maybe Uncle Ray’s magic is starting to work on Volquez

74. Nate83 says:

Who would have had Edison not only having a good outing but also being the Pirates most efficient pitcher. He showed at the end of last year with the Dodgers that he can put together some good starts. He just had trouble stinging a bunch of them together and being consistent. Todays very encouraging but I personally need to see him for a few months before I judge him good or bad based on individual starts.

75. Cmat0829 says:

Exactly. Give him 6 starts before we judge him. Not as much fun on the blog though.

The downside of Pedro’s opposite field focus…Northside Notch.

77. JRay3 says:

Walker turns on one and brings Cutch in and Buccos take the lead as Wainwright getting hit hard here in the 4th.

78. Barb says:

Alright 1-0 good guys.

79. Lad 9 says:

Can’t make the call on six good innings, but I can dream and Volquez looks impressive. The implications for the Pirates, if he can sustain an average to above average performance, are extremely favorable, especially with the news on Taillon. And if he can be average, then Ray Searage may become a mythical figure.

80. JRay3 says:

just about any other ballpark and that was a two run HR, nonetheless like what I am seeing in his approach.

81. Keith says:

Edinson Volquez is outduelling Adam Wainwright. Wow – that was weird to write.

“I don’t look at him as a work in progress,” said Pirates starter Charlie Morton. “I look at him as a guy who’s here on the team. He’s our guy and he’s going to do his job, and I would hope he has the same expectations of himself. If you don’t believe in your teammates, then get out of the clubhouse.”

via ESPN

Absolutely, JRay.

Competency is a good thing.
    Not Cy Young like, but he just needs to be competent. Dont want to run someone out there every 5th day that is gonna get bombed.

The Pitcher Whisperer strikes again. ;)

85. Cmat0829 says:

Exactly.

We’re all gonna need a cold shower if he keeps this up for two more innings. ;)

Love me some Charlie.

Polanco hit a home run today.

#freehimsoon

Good article about Volquez, and the Pirates trying to get him successful….

I think Greg Brown just stepped out of the radio booth for a cigarette after describing that shift working.

91. Nate83 says:

It would be nice to get 7 innings out of Volquez today with an off day tomorrow. It will set the bullpen up nicely going into the 20 games in 20 days that they start on Tuesday.

92. JRay3 says:

Great news, thanks for the update!

Is it true that our first 26 games of the season are against teams in our division?

94. Cmat0829 says:

June regardless of what he does in the meantime.

95. JRay3 says:

AJ Burnett in his first inning of work against the Cubs today allowed 4 runs, 3 walks and 2 hits as Cubs take 4-0 lead….just for those inquiring minds that want to know.

96. The Cubs just got to AJ for 4 runs in the first. Are you all sure that the Bucs will miss him that much?

97. JRay3 says:

Yep….the Orioles are first non NL central team faces at very end of month.

98. Brandie says:

Do I sense the beginnings of The Legend of Thomas Alva Edinson Volquez, the man who invented efficient pitch selection?

Never mind….GO BUCCOS!!!

BTW…

LAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDD NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNEEEEEEE!

I just hope the weather holds up.
    April in the Northeast/Upper Midwest is goofy this time of year.

Whatever happened to games being played in warm weather cities the first couple weeks of the year?

100. Tom P. says:

TC, If I counted correctly, 6 each against the Reds, Cubs and Cardinals and 8 against the Brewers.

Thanks. They just had the graphic on the telecast.

102. JRay3 says:

Heck of a first start for Mr. Volquez. Definitely a lot to build off of. Now Watson needs to close the door on Cards sixth here.

103. Nate83 says:

I will let you know in July.

Honestly I do think they will miss him but the contract Philly gave him was too much and I think in the end it will be the right move.

104. Patrick(ri) says:

Nice job EV. Bad luck that Wainright snuck that grounder through.

105. Jay says:

When they tell you “little things” win baseball games…….if Volquez retires the pitcher – as one would normally expect – we’re out of the inning 10 minutes ago with no runs given up

106. Nate83 says:

Wow, handling him with kid gloves. I would have let him get out of this and give the team a chance to score in the bottom of the sixth to get him a win.

107. JRay3 says:

And Watson say good morning, good afternoon and good night to Matt Adams on three pitches.

Top of the order for the Bucs.

108. The Gunner says:

The fans in Philthadelphia won’t be too happy with this – especially if it happens more than once.

109. Lad 9 says:

BRANDIEEEEEEE! I was trying to work in a Thomas Edi(n)son reference in, but you beat me to it and undoubtedly did it better. How was your first week, Raisin Brandie?

110. JRay3 says:

Have to also figure in the 28 pitches he threw out of the pen the other day in two innings of work.

111. Patrick(ri) says:

It is also little things that lose you games. Statistically, sacrifice bunts are one of them.

112. Lad 9 says:

I was thinking the same, but Clint got it right…. Absolute wipe out of Adams by Watson

113. Patrick(ri) says:

In English . . .bunting is one . . .

114. Brandie says:

Awesome. I am helping the company with marketing and coming up with ideas for apps. Gotta lotta projects going on. Thank you man. Hope the world is treating you well.

115. Andrew says:

I am going to label that sequence a debacle.

116. Nate83 says:

Good point about his two innings earlier in the week.

117. JRay3 says:

And Tabata swing right through ball four after not getting bunt down and Marte gets gunned down easily. Can’t help a team like the Cards.

118. Cmat0829 says:

Watson is outstanding.

119. Brandie says:

Solid effort by Volquez the Vanquisher. Let’s get the Buccos to shut the door on ‘em!

120. Patrick(ri) says:

I knew he wasn’t the conditioning coach.

Volquez the Vanisher?
    I think you might be hitting the Brandie Snifter too much.

;)

122. Patrick(ri) says:

Argh! Another bunt.

123. JRay3 says:

Tony Sanchez, that is all.

124. Cmat0829 says:

Love me some tony sanchez

125. Patrick(ri) says:

I think Stewart needs a really extended rehab!

126. Barb says:

I like Brandecita. All like me some T-Sizzle too. Let’s show Mr. Wainwright who da boss!

127. Brandie says:

BODACIOUS and 93.7 THE PLAN!!!

128. JRay3 says:

And Melancon goes a quick 1-2-3 on just 6 pitches, nicely done.

129. Barb says:

You are too much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

130. Cmat0829 says:

Nice to see

131. Brandie says:

Plandy Koufax!

132. Lad 9 says:

Wow. That sounds great! You have to be a veritable churn of marketing slogans as quick as you are. Very glad for you.

All is well here. Lots going on. Killing my blog time.

133. Lad 9 says:

+++++++++

I still like Chuck Planner the best.
    Truly heroic effort on that one. :)

135. Lad 9 says:

Cheese time!

136. Brandie says:

And Leaping Planny Poffo!

137. Brandie says:

Make it sharp and tangy.

138. Sarah says:

DP Yah baby!!!!

139. Cmat0829 says:

dp Holliday. How sweet it is

140. Barb says:

The pitcher’s best friend.

141. JRay3 says:

And Round 1 goes to the Buccos.

Behind a Tony Sanchez double in the 7th off of Wainwright and four Pirate pitchers- Volquez, Watson, Melancon and Grilli holding St. Louis batters to just three hits the Pirates take the rubber game of this three game series 2-1 and there was noooooooooo doubt about it.

With the win, the Bucs have opened the season winnin two consecutive series and are 4-2 on the year. The Pirates will resume action on Tuesday night when they play their first road game of the year and open a series with the Cubs in Chicago. Charlie Morton will take the hill for the Bucs in the opener.

Let’s Go Bucs!

142. Sarah says:

Niiiice! Grilled Cheese SAVE!!!

You are simply too funny!

Oh Brand Flakes.

144. pattonbb says:

….fear the Bones….

145. Lad 9 says:

Raise it! Given the pitching matchup, an improbable win for your Buccos. Very good baseball game!

146. Barb says:

Love that we beat Loudon Wainwright III – dead skunk in the middle of the road stinkin to high heaven.

147. Cmat0829 says:

Raise it. Nice series win. Good game by tony Sanchez. Got the game winning hit vs wainwright and seemed to catch a good game. Guess the pre game kvetching was for naught.

++++++

Good to see the bullpen hold it today.
    Volquez will make hearts give out if he keeps pitching well. ;)

149. Brandie says:

ETCH IF FOOL! (Buggee channeling Mr. T.) ;)

150. Baywatch says:

Edinson “AJ, STFD” Volquez!

151. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

152. And so, the Bucs won 2-1 today and finally have a badly needed day off tomorrow as they hit the road. And Endison Volquez pitched much better than expected for 5.2 innings. Now let’s see if he can continue to do that well as this season progresses.

153. Brandie says:

Planny Piffle is goin boffo!

And how did the Mupoet faint?

Her heart was done in by superior pitching!!! Blast You Edinson Volquez! (Small sample size.)

154. Any Bay Searage reclamation project with a happy ending? Hope so.

The Macho Muppet Brandie Savage!

156. Baywatch says:

Yeppers!

After a win like today, when Edinson Volquez surprises, raise anything you want.

* Jolly Roger.
    *Underwear.
    *Small animal.

You get the picture.

158. Brandie says:

OOOH. YEAH!!!!!

159. Brandie says:

Bay Searage. Ir Bay Charles? Either way both utterly amazing!!!!!!?

160. And now, in the 6th, the Cubs lead 7-1 and AJ is gone.

161. And now, it’s 8-1 Chicago at AJ’s expense.

162. BostonsCommon says:

Final line for AJ:

5.2 IP, 5 h, 6BB, 8ER, 3k.

I expected some regression just based on Philly’s defense. But no excuse for 6 walks.

163. BostonsCommon says:

Check that, 8 runs, 4 ER.

164. Andrew says:

A.J. Burnett: 5.2 pitched, 5 hits, 8 runs, 6 baseballs, 3 strikeouts.

But remember Burnett has had blow ups with the Pirates, that entire month of starts last year when he kept giving up a big inning, and was still an effective pitcher.

165. Well, the Bucs will be facing the Cubs on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday at Wrigley Field, so let’s see if their pitching can do better against them than AJ did today.

166. FlBucco says:

Still need to get Tony that 1st baseman’s mitt – 2 of the 4 wins are on him…

167. Brandie says:

So jazzed about the Buccos win that I was moderately surprised to see a hockey thread posted. I did not know there was one of those being played tonight.

168. You are so right.

No, a hockey thread isn’t being played.
    A hockey game is.

:D

What a beautiful day at the ballpark today. The weather wasn’t so bad either. :)

171. Baywatch says:

Just had this Little League thought: Wonder which Cardinal scrub on the end of the bench has to put the bats and balls in the bag?

172. Some said the other day we’d win 1 of 3 with the only win being the Liriano game the only win. Somewhat ironic, considering Cole and his ability.

173. Baywatch says:

And the nice showing by Volquez.

Hey Bay!!

Up here!!!!

Hey, John, disappointed you didn’t make it to the finals, but Final Four will look good for years.

176. Baywatch says:

Only time I’m breaking into Bay Charles mode is when “It’s Cryin’ Time Again!”

And I feel bad for that kid that barely missed the final shot.

Thanks, AW, and to all who sent their best wishes the last few days.

It was a game for the ages. Kind of game I’ll chat about with others when I am an old alum sitting at the Memorial Union having a beer during homecoming week. Some idiots have blamed Josh Gasser for not getting into Aaron Harrison’s face on that shot, but Harrison nailed that thing with one foot in El Paso.

Felt bad for Traevon Jackson. Not only just missed the final shot, but missed a critical free throw just before Harrison’s shot as well.

Should have a good team next year. Unfortunately, no guarantees in sports. Might be back there next year. Might not return for another 30 years.

I’m OK. Won’t be jumping into Lake Mendota or anything.

I really miss Trenni.

180. Baywatch says:

YESSSS!!!! (Klap!)

181. Ghost says:

+++

182. Ghost says:

Saw some comments above wondering why Martin wouldn’t start today. Admittedly didn’t scroll all the way threw that discussion so I don’t know what came up in there. But just wanted to throw out that Sundays are usually the days managers give certain players a blow. Clint is not going disrupt that over fear Sanchez can’t get the job done. Martin has a long season ahead. Let him lose his days off in late September, not April.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle | Flow Back