Connecticut 60, Kentucky 54, NCAA championship

Looking ahead to tipoff …

Game: Kentucky (29-10) vs. Connecticut (31-8)

Time: 9:10 p.m.

Site: AT&T Stadium, Arlington, Texas

TV, radio: CBS (national), MarchMadness.com (online)

Here’s the official live summary.

Comments

A dagger through my barely beating heart.

2. At least you don’t have to be down here if Arrogant K wins, John. Mercy.

3. Stuart says:

Huskies by 5 will make both of you feel better.

Shabazz and the right boat shoot the wildcats to #2.

Stuart

4. Hope you’re right, brother.

5. DJ says:

If UConn wins tonight it will be because of Calhoun.

And if UConn loses tonight it will be because of Ollie.

Last college basketball game of the year, so in honor of the big game:

Notable alums of the University of Connecticut Huskies:

Before putting all of us asleep on a national level with dreadful folk songs, Judy Collins was putting the good people in Storrs coffee shops to sleep. Sit-com spin off Hall of Famer, Mary Cadorette, was a Huskie. One of SNL’s better cast members of recent years, Bobby Moynihan, went to UConn. Hooh! Hooh! Hooh!, the late Ron Palillo, of Arnold Horshack fame, is an alum. Hooh! Hooh!!, but in a clearly different “Harry met Sally” cadence, belongs to UConn alum, and every guy’s “it” girl, Meg Ryan. “I’ll have what she’s having!” Insufferable, but admittedly talent, Moby, once walked the streets of Storrs. Reality star, and if you know her name you must have a wife like mine, Kim Zolciak, is an alum. Talented sportswriter Leigh Montville went to Uconn. Of course, many ballers went there. I’ll leave it with actor and former Milwaukee Buck, Ray Allen. Before his elderly years at the Heat, he was a joy to watch play the game.

The school colors for the University of Connecticut-Storrs are White and Blue.

Notable alumni for the University of Kentucky Wildcats:

Well, lets start with the cherubic and beautiful, Ashley Judd. Met her once at a restaurant near an Iowa racetrack when she was there to support her former husband. Could not have been more charming. Editor of Playboy lite, Maxim Magazine, Nick Dimengo, went to Kentucky. Peerless character actor, Harry D. Stanton, is an alum. The list of spectacularly good basketball players to play at Kentucky could go on and on. Legendary Olympic announcer and true gentleman of the airwaves, Tom Hammond, is a Wildcat. And, I can’t be certain, but I’m guessing Secretariat or maybe, Affirmed, went to classes at Kentucky!

The school colors for the University of Kentucky-Lexington are, as fate would have it, also White and Blue.

Here’s hoping, Shabazz Napier, shreds up the Kentucky defense. Tremendous back court at UConn carries the night over the talented but young Wildcats.

Also, since this is the last college game of the year, I would just like to thank Dejan for his outstanding college buckets coverage this past last season, whether it be the Dukes or the Panthers. Really enjoyed it, and really enjoyed all the folks who contributed to the Pitt basketball threads. I love basketball and hearing peoples’ thoughts about it. Thanks to all who spent time here.

++++++

I wish UConn would have been asked into the ACC

8. Lad 9 says:

+ Many Osh. Sorry about the Badgers. Broke my heart too. Love the avi of Trenni. A lovely lady in multiple ways.

AVENGE OSHKOSH !!! :)

Rooting for Kentucky is like rooting for burnt toast.
    Rooting for Calipari is like rooting for kicking cats (no pun intended).
    The “royalty” of UK, and the slime of Calipari make this an easy choice.

Paraphrasing Pat Bowlen here ………. “This ones for OshKosh” !!

I see a UConn win by 3.

11. Patrick(ri) says:

Anybody but Calipari for the win!

Thanks, Plan.

Reverend, if Calipari wins, will he have to forfeit another Final Four appearance, like he did at UMass and Memphis?

There is a reason John Chaney went after him all those years ago. ;)

Hey, Pitt lost, so your school was an easy 2nd choice.
    That, and I can’t root for Calipari for anything. The Reverend will have to say a prayer for me, I guess.

15. Patrick(ri) says:

$275,000 for sweet 16 + $175.000 for final 4 & additional $375,000 for the win tonight. All that on top of his $5.4 million base salary. Nice work if you can get it. Wonder what the chairman of the Philosophy Dept Makes at Kentucky?

Source: Forbes magazine.

Excellent.

But Sartre couldn’t go to his right and Camus was careless on the dribble.

17. Patrick(ri) says:

Pretty sure Sartre was a left-winger, all right.

Not sure, but I bet the head of the philosophy department is.

19. Patrick(ri) says:

Kevin Ollie only gets $66,666 for a final win,. Apart from the eerie implications of that sum, he has picked up a hundred grand for making thaeSweet 16. Chump Change, as the former Pirate with the formerly large head might characterize these sums.

Calipari to the Lakers a done deal according to Rex Chapman.

Wow, to the hell Wow!

Slimey.

22. Patrick(ri) says:

Yea!!!

23. DJ says:

Big fan of Ray Allen. Saw him take down G’Town in the 1996 Big East Final at the Garden.

One of the purest jumpers I’ve ever seen.

24. DJ says:

Kobe won’t listen to a word he says.

And for good reason.

25. Hope so, planetoid.

26. DJ says:

Chapman was a kid with big hops.

Should have been a brewmaster.

27. I don’t know, Patrick, but I do know what state workers make. And it’s been the same for the last 7 years. The Governor is dangling a slight raise this year for some reason. Maybe because the workload has tripled for everyone due to the Affordable Care Act.

Calipari should take the Governor with him as an assistant. Two of a kind.

This was supposed to go down below, but the blog put it up here.

29. DJ says:

The more I hear from Ollie, the more I like him.

Kevin Durant had high praise for Ollie as an assistant. Whatever Durant says is OKC by me.

He played for the Milwaukee Bucks for a couple of seasons. I’ve never heard or seen written a single negative thing about him.

I remember him when he was with the Sixers.

I’m not a fan of the Kentucky coach, but few in the game can coach better coming out of a timeout than him.

33. Patrick( ri) says:

He also does well coming out of shattered programs.

34. UConn’s now leading by only 4. It’s coming down to cases now.

Thanks, Lad. Always nice to see one of your posts pop up.

36. Patrick( ri) says:

Test.

There’s Tony Romo at his first championship game!

UConn’s bigs and interior game doesn’t seem that strong. Still up by 5, though. Oh, make it 3.

These (insert number here)-zero runs by Kentucky are giving me shudders from thinking about the other night.

Nice.

I’m always hoping the “are you up for whatever happens next” Bud Light guy will end up in jail by the end of the commercial. Never happens, though.

41. Andrew says:

Not the best played basketball game, lot of unforced errors.

42. Patrick(ri) says:

+++ and some shots that look scared.

43. Patrick(ri) says:

Anyone seem my dog?

44. Patrick(ri) says:

+++. I wonder if some of the sloppy play and scared looking shots are due the HUGE cavern the game is played in. 80,000 fans?!!

45. UConn just beat Kentucky! And Kentucky never led the entire game since they only managed 13 of 24 free throws!

Congrats to Kevin Ollie.
    Nice to see Calipari lose.

I posted links above about Cal going to the Lakers.
    If Mitch Kupchak is smart, he won’t come within 10,000 miles of hiring him.

And, OshKosh is avenged !!

47. And UConn made 10 free throws and didn’t miss any!

48. And tomorrow night, it’ll be the UConn women’s turn!

49. M.L. says:

And DK twice refers to Kentucky as KU on his twitter feed – true college basketball expert!

DK: Yeah, I flipped initials on spur-of-the-moment tweets. DQ’d for life.

50. M.L. says:

I noticed you deleted those tweets rather quickly – ; ) How come?

51. M.L. says:

DK – look at yourself in the mirror. Admit that there’s a small chance that people might think you might be a fan of Pittsburgh sports. You grew up in Pittsburgh. You shout the City of Pittsburgh praises from the rooftops at every possible opportunity. You post pictures of yourself as a kid with a Penguins’ jersey on. You routinely post hashtags like #MaattaManCrush. Why do you have a crush on Maatta or come up with that hashtag if you’re not a Pens fan. I never see Jeremy Rutherford tweet out #BackesManCrush. You obviously have a bias to your hometown teams in most of all your articles and tweets. But you know what? There’s nothing wrong with that. It’s human nature. My favoriet sportswriter, Bernie Miklasz has a St. Louis bias. So what? We kind of want our sportswriters to be “for the home team”. Quit playing like its not true. You love the Penguins, Steelers, and Pirates – its obviously to smart people who read your tweets and articles – quit lying to yourself. You can fool the Philistines, but you can’t fool smart people who look right through your smug denials. You love Pittsburgh sports – and it’s okay! Stop living this lie.

52. M.L. says:

favorite

53. Stuart says:

Well Rev and Osh, I picked UConn by 5 so I was pretty close. One of my worst brackets ever however.

Always love/hate the end of round ball. Loss of excitement, anticipation of reasonable weather to come.

Puck playoffs next week? No leaves on brick walls at wrigley yet.

Seasons change.