On location: Penguins 4, Red Wings 3, SO

Looking ahead to faceoff …

Game: Penguins (50-24-5) vs. Detroit Red Wings (37-27-14)

Time: 8:08 p.m.

Site: Consol Energy Center

TV, radio: NBC Sports Network (national), 105.9 the X

Here’s the official live summary.

Here are TribLIVE’s Penguins page and our Chipped Ice blog. Rob Rossi, Josh Yohe and I are covering for the Trib. I’ll have a Thursday column written from here.

Comments

• • Welcome Lunatics, if you don’t see your current location below, please add a reply to this post

Dejan’s Lunatic Nation

Pittsburgh – Sochi – Moscow – New York – Fort Myers – Port Charlotte – Bradenton – Sarasota – Clearwater – Tampa – Orlando – Charlotte – Pittsburgh
    Afghanistan – skeetermc*
    Arizona – Tucson, Chandler, Phoenix, Sunnyslope, Davis-Monthan AFB*, Lake Havasu City
    • Argentina, Buenos Aries
    Arkansas – Rogers
    Alaska – Anchorage
    Australia – Mackay, Gold Coast, Geelong, Sydney
    Brazil – Vitoria, São Paulo
    California – Bakersfield, San Francisco, UNION CITY, Los Angeles, Newport Beach, Hollywood, Huntington Beach, Yuba City, Solana Beach, Yorba Linda, Yuba City*, Edwards*, Long Beach, Modesto, Davis, Santa Monica, Solana Beach, Canyon Country, Burbank, West Hills, Encino, Clovis
    Canada – Toronto, Winnipeg, Moncton – New Brunswick, Ontario – Muskoka, Perth – home of the Ottowa RedBlacks, Perth – Ontario
    China – Beijing
    Crete – Vlites
    Colorado – Ft Collins, Estes Park*, Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs
    Connecticut – Cos Cob, Bridgeport, Wallingford, Norwalk, NEWTOWN
    Costa Rica
    Czech Republic
    Delaware – Newark
    Denmark – Greenland – Thule*
    District of Columbia
    England – London
    Florida – Palm Harbor, Orlando, Valrico, Gainesville, Daytona Beach, Oviedo, Tampa, Jacksonville, Sarasota, Palm Beach Gardens, Cape Coral, Coco Beach (Major Nelson and Mary Ann), Niceville (Red Neck Rivera) and a*, St Petersburg, Pembroke Pines, Ft Lauderdale, Hallandale Beach, W Melbourne, Melbourne, St Johns, Wesley Chapel, Fort Pierce, Lakeland
    France – Strasbourg,
    Georgia – Marietta, Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Acworth, Savanna, Hoschton, Grayson, Newnan, Macon
    Germany – Leverkusen/Cologne, Ramstein*
    Hawaii – Honolulu
    Idaho – Mountain Home, Coer d’Aline, Mountain Home AFB*
    Illinois – La Salle, Peru, Payson, Chicago, Palatine (3 inmates there), Lincoln Park, Grayslake, Algonquin, Chicago, Naperville
    Indiana – Indianapolis, Burns Harbor, South Bend, Bicknell, Ft Wayne, Westfield, Munster, Jasper
    Iowa – Bettendorf, Humboldt, Maquoketa, Urbandale
    Ireland – Dublin
    • Israel – Ginot Shomron
    Japan – Tokyo
    Kentucky – Louisville, Bowling Green, Lexington, Georgetown, Russellville
    Kuwait – Relyks76*
    Louisiana – Slidell
    Maine – Bangor
    Maryland – Arnold, Odenton, Severn, Baltimore, Waldorf, Hagerstown, Chevy Chase, Hampstead, Elkridge, Frederick, Bowie, Sykesville, Columbia
    Massachusetts – Boston, Tyngsboro, East Gloucester*, 617 Strong*, Medford
    Mecca – Slienmann*
    Michigan – Kalamazoo, Eaton Rapids, Lansing, Ann Arbor, Mason, Battle Creek
    Minnesota – Yinzer, St Paul
    Mississippi – Biloxi, Ocean Springs
    Missouri – St Peters***
    Montana
    Nebraska – Omaha, Lincoln
    New Hampshire – Barrington
    New Jersey – Chesterfield, Princeton, Roxbury, Lebanon, Lincoln Park, Berkeley Heights, Somerville, Hammock, Barrington, Delran, Pennsville, Hammonton, Mullica Hills, JERSEY SHORE, Montclair, Monmouth Beach, Flemington, Oceanville
    New Mexico – Mike, Albequeque, Blazer
    New York – New York, Smithtown, Manhattan, Long Island, Nyack, Brooklyn, Buffalo, Rochester, Albany, Lewistown, Stony Point
    Nevada, Las Vegas, Henderson, Reno
    North Carolina – Asheville, Hickory, Charlotte, Raleigh, Wilmington, Chapel Hill, High Point, Winston Salem
    Ohio – Cincinnati, Columbiana, Westerville, Green, Hilliard, Toledo, Louisville, Columbus, Perrysburg, Pickerington, Youngstown, Cleveland, Olmsted Township, Liberty Township, Warren, Oregon, Wintersville, Austintown, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base*, New Philadelphia, Powell, Canton, Salem, New Albany, Bloomingdale, Powell, Howland, Grafton, Northwood, Middletown, Dayton, Cambridge, Martins Ferry, Akron
    Oklahoma – Tulsa – OKLAHOMA CITY/MOORE ,,
    Oregon – Roseburg, Eugene
    Pennsylvania – Downtown, Hopewell, Indiana, North Wales, Franklin Park, Forest Hills, Lansdale, Philadelphia, Du Bois, Reading, Crafton, Arnold, Wexford, Mt Lebanon, Canonsburg, Lancaster, Huntington, York, Boiling Springs, Philly suburbs, Morningside, Harrisburg, Lawrenceville, Bradford Woods, Norristown, Hanover, Clearfield, Sewickley, Plum Boro, Slippery Rock, Wilkes-Barre, Sharpsville, Bessemer, Greensburg, Washington, Imperial, South Side, Duncansville, Newville, Sheppton, Grove City, Butler, Allentown, Ross Township, Blairsville, Flood City (Johnstown), Overbrook, Danny’s Hoagies, Baldwin, Economy, Sharpsville, North Huntington, Bellfonte, West Mifflin, Kennywood, Pleasant Hills, Beechview (Mad Turk, No 200), Macgunie, Mechanicsburg, Uptown, Cambria County, Mon Valley, Salisbury, Coraopolis, Emsworth, Cranberry Twp, Garrett, O’Hara Township, McCandless Township, 115 Federal Street, Bethel Park, Harrison City, Penn Hills, Kittanning, Dover, Upper St Clair, Rennerdale, Oakland, Scranton, Moon (RMU), State College, Erie, Penn Twp, Stowe, Elizabeth, Hermitage, Easton, Carlisle, Finleyville, Belle Vernon, Madison, Sellersville, Waynesburg, Warren, Beaver Falls, Chambersburg, Green Castle, East Freedom, Leechburg, Banksville City, Ellwood City, Hollidaysburg, Bethlehem, Mars, Verona, Philipsburg, Phoenixville, Hippos Pond, Oil City, Verona, Hookstown, Squirrel Hill, Natrona, Charleroi, FREEDOM, Denver, Midland (the home of good food and many bars), Selinsgrove, Dormont, Scott Township, Blawnox, Arnold, Ligonier, Wells Tannery, Swoyersville, St Mary’s, Titusville, Shippingsburg, Sharpsville, Brookville, Mountain Top, Mt Joy, Bloomsburg, Portage, Carnegie, Homer City, Allepo Township, Irwin, Claridge, Downington, Cheswick, Antis Township
    The Philippines
    Rhode Island
    Serbia – Subotica
    Singapore
    South Carolina – Duncan, Longs, Columbia, Bluffton, Greensville, Charleston, North Charleston, Sumter
    South Korea – Seoul, Mike
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Tennessee – Smithville, Nashville
    Texas – Tyler, San Antonio, Belton, Houston, Katy, Plano, El Paso, Cedar Park, Pleasanton
    United Kingdom – Haslemere
    Utah – Salt Lake City, Provo
    Uzbekistan
    Vermont – North Bennington
    Virginia – JAL, Hampton, Rescue, Richmond, Front Royal, Woodbridge, Suffolk, Warrenton, Springfield*, Virginia Beach, Fairfax, Arlington, Yorktown, Henrico, Aldie, Manassas, Newport News, Clifton, Glen Allen, Roanoke, Vienna, Alexandria, Lynchburg
    Washington – Seattle, Nine Mile Falls, Spokane, Sammamish
    West Virginia – Martinsburg, Morgantown, Wheeling, Mt Olivet, Huntington, Parkersburg, Clarksburg*, Grafton
    Wisconsin – Madison, Oshkosh, Hortonville
    Wyoming – Caspar, Lander
    Unknown – killa_cam7*
    460 confirmed locations represented in the blog, and a couple of strange places
    Lunatic Nation Hall of Fame, people that have, in our opinion, made a difference, either thru talent or character or deeds.
    Nominations are always welcome
    Any Allegheny, Pirate, Crawford, Gray, Steeler or Penguin player in the League’s Hall of Fame, although if Jagr makes it some day, we gotta talk
    Stan “The Man”, from Donora
    Fred Rogers
    Mario Lemieux, ditto to the Great One, he stays as an owner
    Chuck Noll
    Eddie Johnston, aka EJ
    Badger Bob
    Chuck Tanner
    Dick Groat, the best darn multi-athelete and announcer from Wilkinsburg/Swissvale
    Steve Blass
    Danny Murtaugh*
    Rocky Bleier*
    John Challis – Courage + Belief = Life
    All Servicemen and women that have been in battle, ever
    Sgt Doug Vitale
    Gary Sinise and the Lt Dan Band
    Barney Dreyfuss
    George Benson
    Phil Coyne
    • Tony Dorsett
    • Vince Lascheide
    • John Barbaro
    • Art McKennan
    • Steve Dirt Denardo*
    • K9***, Rocco
    • Rick Sebak
    First Responders***
    27 countries
    46 states, plus the District of Columbia, missing 4 states, North Dakota, South Dakota, Alabama, and Kansas
    Three planets, at least confirmed, and the Space Station
    Then there was that Cold day in Hell place
    Honorable mention, England – London – Lisa
    “Terrorists will always lose in America, the sooner they figure that out, the better”- truer words have never been spoken
    Asterisks denote confirmed hero’s of any species, military, police officers or firemen/ladies
    • 4/9/2014 5:14 PM

2. Rbilak says:

Rbilak. Shreveport LA. -20 year retired Air Force. From Elizabeth, PA.

3. Sarah says:

So Peeps – Wings, Jax or Bullies?? Which will it be????

4. Rbilak says:

1. The return of Letang. Emotional boost for team. Glad to hear Martin on powerplay still. Tough decision but it is the right one. I do wonder if opposing players ( minus Flyers) pause to hit him, I know I would at least early on. Teddy Brushi had 8 months off, so this is pretty incredible.

2. Seeing how Wings are most probable match, how does Dan play this?

3. I hate no Bortuzzo. Sorry if anyone deserves to sit, it is Scuderi. I know Borts have had some up and downs, but he gives them someone who instigates, not retaliates.

4. Can Sutter keep producing? I am on the fence on him. Not great on face offs, hard to see a large dollar figure spent on him.

5. Conner is skating, I am sure Dan is drooling over adding him with Gibbons on the “Vertically Challenged” line.

5. Sarah says:

I hate no Borts and no Despres.
    I hope Bylsma doesn’t ease Letang back in like he did with Martin.

6. Gene-Zo says:

Wings. But if Pens beat both DET and PHI (which I don’t see) it could be COL. Columbus is on the road against (Dallas, Tampa and FLA) for final 3 games. I don’t see them catching DET unless Wings lose to both Pens and STL. Anyone know what these teams (DET COL PHI) are vs each other in case of a tie?

7. Gene-Zo says:

I don’t think Letang will get anywhere near the minutes Martin did. Like many, I’m surprised he’s playing at all.

8. Andrew says:

I would much rather see Bortuzzo over Scuderi, but I just do not see Scuderi being scratched even though he is like the eighth best defense man right now.

I like Sutter, you are right he is right around 50% on faceoffs for his career, part of the appeal of Sutter is I do not think he commands top dollar so you could spend some more cap room on quality 3rd line forwards. The idea of adding Kesler was always dumb to me, how impactful can a center be when he has a revolving door of AHL quality wingers.

I honestly do not think this Detroit team is very good, but they have perfected the ability to interfere, like all good Babcock teams.

9. Sarah says:

I think COL gets to start up 1-0 v stars too. They are all three within 2 points I think.
    Probably best for Pens is COL, while PHL and NYR beat each other to a pulp and Wings maybe upset BOS.

We could go far in certain scenarios I guess.

And Disco can be re-upped for 10 more years!!!

10. Sarah says:

Yeah I am kinda stunned Tbh. I thought at min he would get the surgical repair before playing like Bruschi did.

11. Brandie says:

My uncle was Air Force. Retired in 1997 as Chief Master Sargent. Passed away in 2002. Got a soft spot for the Air Force.

12. Brandie says:

Read that Letang is back tonight. Stunned. Hoping for the best.

Prayers out to the victims of the violence at Franklin Regional. No time for finger pointing. Let the dialogue and healing begin.

13. Rbilak says:

Reading about what the offer they were making on him was way too high. I think he is moved in off-season. He was really 4th line center until injuries. My belief is time for young players is next year if they do not go far in playoffs. But I will wait till they hopefully prove me wrong.

14. Brandie says:

We shall see what the future holds and what talent the Pens can score through free agency and develop in their farm system.

Howdy Air Force!

15. Rbilak says:

I wondered the same thing. While none of have are gaurenteed tomorrow, the concern he has may lessen but it never will go away. No way to really compare this to anything.

16. scapper says:

Caps after a miraculous five days when everything falls their way…for once.

17. scapper says:

But finger-pointing is the only fun part of this!

I am the most “un-alarmist” person I know, but I am seriously worried about Letang. I feel like Alec Guiness at the end of “Bridge on the River Kwai”….Madness! MADNESS! Going to be on pins and needles about this until the Pens are eliminated.

18. scapper says:

“Vertically Challenged” line? Is that new? It’s hilarious. Well done.

19. Brandie says:

“Vertically Challenged ” line. Snarky and PC at the same time. I like it!

20. Sarah says:

I’m with you. And it was only a couple weeks ago Letang was still talking about dizzy spells and lights bothering him, and so on.

And it isn’t just the thought of another stroke, it’s the notion that if he’s not fully recovered neurologically,nrefelxes, balance and whatnot, he could simply get injured going into the boards or getting hit. Ugh.

Fingers crossed for Kris.

21. Andrew says:

I had not seen any numbers on Sutter and his next contract, Penguins certainly have some decisions come this offseason. Do you mean 3rd line center?

22. Sarah says:

Interesting read here re Pens DET and our identity

23. Andrew says:

I’ll saw that earlier, I didn’t find it that compelling, a team with over 500 man games lost and different lineups most nights is out of sync.

24. Sarah says:

No argument on injuries. I took it more as lack of an identity.

25. Sarah says:

Yay for crazy bounces off the boards!!! Shite.

26. Brandie says:

Earlier in the season, when the WBS kids were playing, the team seemed to have more of an identity.

But, as I rethink my earlier position, I think I see the problem. The identity of the team is rooted in those lost man games because of all of the injuries. Pittsburgh Penguins…Health Challenged!

Or maybe I am full of gobbeldygook because I am tired.

27. DJ says:

Jandhi: You’re the best and one of my faves!

Too funny!

28. Andrew says:

I can see that, I view the Pens as two lines and special teams, but you are right I am not sure what “their game” is, anymore.

Thanks for logging in Rbilak :)

:blink: I am?

Well, thanks Dj :*

Sistah, a rough day for you? You say you are tired…relax and kick up your feet :)

460 and counting +++++

we know we can beat the Wings.

34. Sarah says:

Lovely 1st period, shots 12-4 for DET.
    Craig Adams cannot clear a puck to save his life on the PK, and Wings are standing around MAFs crease without being touched. Ugh.

I’m about ready to put on my Iron Man suit and go to DaBurgh >:<

36. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Not that I care about this stuff, but Sumter SC needs a *

Biz will see to it!

38. Andrew says:

Finally called one of Detroit’s 50 interferences, good see the Pens made they pay.

Made me smile :)

40. Planet Hollywood not around this evening either?

Conspicuous by his absence.

41. How about Sherlock Holmes instead?

42. Brandie says:

An exhilarating day. I got to work on fixing errors in a major computer program for a major university’s medical system. Hard work but it made me feel good.

Nice to see you Jandy-rose!

Yes, I’ve been missing him…

Well, I could outsmart the Wings then, I suppose ;)

Well, that is good news indeed :)
    Glad to see you too, friend!

46. Sarah says:

Sidney puts on the backpack!

47. Brandie says:

You will like this Jandy…Pedro with a Home Run! 1-1!

48. Sarah says:

And let’s enjoy those interference calls while they’re still called…..for about the rest of the week….

49. Sarah says:

What an absolutely ridiculous shift…..surprise Adams is out there….

50. Andrew says:

How is that not goaltender interference?

woop woop!!!

52. Sarah says:

I guess cos Orpik pushed the guy. If I had a nickel for every time a ref told me “yer D pushed him into ya!” I’d be retired on an island now.

53. DJ says:

How is it that Orpik is even on the ice?

Two questions, no good answers.

54. Brandie says:

The identity of this team is not a bunch of plodders or Disco’s Darlings! Must break this Gladams addiction.

55. Sarah says:

How is it that Adams gets a roster spot?
    BECAUSE BYLSMA….

56. DJ says:

They are the masters.

“Oops, was that me? So sorry to impede your progress. My bad.”

57. Rbilak says:

Thanks, been on for a while just lazy to respond to be added.

58. Rbilak says:

Yes new. P. C. Correctness.

59. Andrew says:

You would think with his experience he would have given Martin a stick.

2 for Neal!

Actually, Sir Alec Guiness is killed by mortar fire and falls on the detonador blowing up the bridge as the troop train arrives on it. It is a British Major watching it all unfold that utters those famous final lines. :)

Cue whistling Colonel Bogey March.

62. Rbilak says:

On another sitte, early in the year, I saw it reported multi year and large money, it was a Pittsburgh site.

63. DJ says:

OK, back to your garage tomorrow.

64. J Walter Weatherman says:

If you want to beat the Pens, follow one rule: Don’t take any penalties. The Pens are a mediocre even strength team and will lose to most playoff-bound teams if they don’t routinely get PP’s. Case in point tonight. Wings dominating them even strength, but take a couple bad penalties and voila – a tie game.

65. DJ says:

Yeah, you would think.

Especially when Orpik hasn’t used it for two months now.

Yes, I know you have, and it’s appreciated that you finally took the jump :)

67. Rbilak says:

It goes with the “Heavy” line vs us this year.

68. Rbilak says:

That is exactly who they are, along with undisciplined. Jussi bad penalty, Neal should have gotten one called breaking a stick and a Gibbons. It is not going to change.

69. Rbilak says:

After two.

Stempy’s hitting Kronwall, he is initiating contact, very impressed with his physical play tonight.

As someone else pointed out, Adams has sucked on clearing passes tonight. Cannot have that in playoffs.

Scuderi unimpressive again and I just don’t see Orpik being praised. I am afraid Shero will sign him in offseason.

Some concern as I have seen the panic MAF in last couple games. Drifting out of net again. Chain him up.

70. Sarah says:

I think just getting to the playoffs takes care of the whole getting a penalty thing.

Both done, and we do care about *

Welcome Rbilak

I did basic in Ft Polk, we would go there once in a while

Thanks for logging in

72. scapper says:

Bingo! Thanks for the clarification.

Madness!

73. Sarah says:

To clarify, Adams sucks on clearing passes every night. His being on PK1 is a joke. That will kill us in the playoffs, as will 60 second cluster f-cks hemmed in our own zone at ES.

But Bylsma gonna Bylsma.

74. Sarah says:

Yay for Skill!!!
    Oh, wait……

75. Andrew says:

Call interference!

76. Sarah says:

Ouch, Sutter.

77. Sarah says:

The refs suck. And as bad as that was, wait til playoffs start. Yuck.

78. Andrew says:

Yeah I know, it is just frustrating. I have to laugh when people complain about low scoring.

79. Sarah says:

SCIRE! JJ with the trash!

He’s making up for that dumb penalty earlier ;)

81. DJ says:

All made possible by the Letang rush.

There, I said it. And I might go another 20 games without another compliment.

gotta give credit where credit is due!

83. DJ says:

grrrrr . . . if you say so, Jandhi.

I’m gonna puke

these guys make me crazy

86. Sarah says:

Wait what?

I’m off to bed…night!

88. Rbilak says:

Much like Colorado game, cannot hold a lead. Gibbons got bounced around like a dice in the Trouble game. Yet that is who Dan wants out there? Seriously don’t get it. Say all you want about game does not matter. Trends do, giving up leads is one of them, after all, isn’t that the main focus they should have for playoffs? Protect a lead late in game?

DK: Or, it means nothing. Really. Nothing at all.

89. DJ says:

You have Red Wings D-men retreating and looking over their shoulder to see which Pens forwards they can skate in front of.

Absurd.

90. DJ says:

Well that was very entertaining.

Too bad we don’t have a shootout in the playoffs.

91. Sarah says:

That JJ floater in the SO was poetic justice after that tying goal pop fly.
    Man I wish they had SOS in playoffs, Fleury, good lord. Shades of Hasek on that first one.

92. DJ says:

Yeah, Sarah, probably his best three consecutive ever.

Plastic Man.

93. Sarah says:

On the other hand, if they play like that next week, it will get ugly. Badly out shot, badly out possessed. No urgency in either zone and some comical goat f-cks of shifts getting stuck in their own end.

I hope they can flip that switch, but I’m not holding my breath.

94. First the bad news: Wandy didn’t have it and the Cubs won 7-5. And now, the good news: The Pens won the shootout, Detroit cinched a playoff spot and everyone left Consol Center tonight happy. And I saw both games tonight on cable. Goodnight All!

95. DJ says:

I’m not pulling for Pens playing the Wings if this is the way they’re going to call the games.

Some ridiculous clutches/grabs and blatant interferences tonight that, for whatever reason, are never called against Babcock-led squads.

Said up above they ARE the masters of that gambit.

96. Sarah says:

Well as of now, they play the Jax. They beat DAL tonight and moved ahead of DET.
    That was some serious possession hockey by the Wings tonight, impressive stuff. And with their backup G and without Zberg.

97. Sarah says:

But, skill saved the day. And if they called penalties in the playoffs, possibly our PP could bail us out too. But not holding my breath on that one either!!!

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle