Pirates 4, Giants 3

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (13-20) vs. San Francisco Giants (21-12)

Time: 12:35 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, Radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page and our Bucco Blog. Rob Biertempfel and Travis Sawchik are on the scene for the Trib.

Comments

1. bradthedad says:

Just a comment on the watch-off last night. Posey maybe worried about the block the plate rule. He clearly bailed and made almost an ole tag – not ‘a catcher’s play.’

I just watched the replay again too.
    1) You may be right bradthedad. But it also looks like Posey didn’t get ready and set-up for the throw. Almost like he wasn’t expecting it.

2) Pence is terrible in right field in PNC Park

3) Right after the play happened they cut to the Pirates’ dugout and it looks like all Snider cares about is stuffing more sunflower seeds in his mouth.

3. Saw that, TC. I thought it was a cheeseburger, though.

Hey Oshie, congrats on the Mild to Wild win last night. 4-0 shut out for Bryzy! :)

5. tdb1977 says:

Hoping the storm that is beginning to move into the area clears out before the 12:35 start today. Lots of thunder and lightning at the airport (work is located there).

Did anyone else see T. Sanchez go down during the celebration last night, holding his face. He moved out of the celebration quickly and made his way to the dugout, appearing to hold his face. Couldn’t see exactly where though.

6. tdb1977 says:

Think he pulled back his left leg from the plate, and I think that was the ankle that was broken severely a couple years ago.

He did pull his leg back, But I don’t think he was properly set up to catch the throw and block the plate / receive contact. He seemed too upright

8. Some mentioned on the Bucs’ thread last night about Lambo and JAL’s link #5 (which is over on the Draft thread) says he has a bruised thumb. So he probably hadn’t made the trip from Scranton only to go back. But who really knows?

I don’t know if anyone picked this up on TV, and I couldn’t when I watched the replay, but Sanchez came out of the on field celebration holding his jaw and looking like he was in a lot of pain. He looked pretty ticked off to me and someone was helping him down the dugout steps.

I couldn’t make this up if I tried.

tdb said that down below…so two of you saw it…

Oh thanks Jandy. Totally missed that. Now here come the excuses, haven’t had my got to work cup of coffee yet.

Yeah, I was watching him come out of the celebration. Somebody helped him down the dugout steps.

The other thing that got me on that play was that this was just another example of a defense making a throw to a base when they had no chance to get the runner. And where was Sandoval set up to take that relay?

14. Wild Bill says:

About last night – I was really surprised to see comments that were critical of having replay decide the game the way it did. But isn’t this sort of situation Exactly the kind that replay was created for? If the game had continued without replay overruling the call, and the Pirates had lost, we’d have all been screaming about the doofus ump who cost us the game with a bad call.

I’d love to see stats a little further into the season showing the number of total challenges and the percentages of decisions that favored the original call vs having them overturned. The umps may or may not be happy.

it’s all good, 21. Just letting you know you weren’t alone…oh, and I’m on my second cup of “work” coffee lol

I guess to each their own, Wild Bill… The “purists” must not like it. I confess, I’m happy the out call was overturned.

17. Wild Bill says:

PSU picks up two recruits yesterday in Jenkins and Wimbush that Ohio State wanted badly. Some articles in Ohio media are acknowledging that Franklin is causing the Buckeyes a headache.

18. The Gunner says:

Probably a double quarter pounder with cheese for Snider. If Lambo does in fact have a jammed thumb, that’s the only reason #23 is still on the major league roster.

I’m with you, WB. That’s exactly the type of call it was instituted for. So you have to wait a couple minutes to find out? It was an exciting play regardless.

Bunch of old fuddy duddies. ( Yes, I’m talking about YOU, Bay). ;-)

To each their own.

20. Wild Bill says:

Liking the Bucs chances today. We’ve done well against Lincecum recently, and Cole is due for a bounce-back start.

But if Hurdle had already used that challenge on another play earlier in the game and lost that challenge, this game goes extras. That’s just dumb to me.

22. Wild Bill says:

He could still have asked them to review it, and with the game on the line, they should.

Well you would hope so!

24. Anybody see this over on the chat thread from yesterday? Mercy.

Bee Sea
    May 7, 2014 at 9:26 AM
    I am not sure if you guys are being serious or mocking me.

4-5 years ago when I was a department head for the Pirates I not only was made to sign invoices for Seven Springs to come out of my budget, but I had money disappear out of my budget that went to Seven Springs.

It is a very long story that I would be happy to share, but the people in the marketing department and the guys in the video department were also constantly forced to put Pirate work on the back-burner to work in things like radio/tv commercials print ads, media buying, etc…for Seven Springs.

I know this may not sound like much, but when I hear people praise Mr. Nutting for not “pocketing” money from the Pirates it makes me angry because while he didn’t “pocket” Pirate money, he used Pirate money to make-over SevenSprings (both physically and publicly) and then pocketed all of that money so is there a difference?

Also, if this was ethical why were we strictly instructed to not tell anyone? Why wer 4 of us.called into a meeting with HR and Legal council asking who leaked this I for nation to the media? Why when in refused to sign a Seven Springs invoice was I reprimanded and told I was not being a good team-player?

From what I’ve seen so far, they would have.

Interesting post on the Chat thread from Bee Sea about Seven Springs.

Sorry, Rev, I missed yours.

Is it any dumber than having a wrong call decide a game, or a wrong call deprive a guy of a perfect game?

29. Wild Bill says:

This is interesting, and especially in light of DKs comments about minority owners with the Pirates not being happy with some stuff Nutting has done. Don’t know if the one is related to the other, though.

I haven’t seen any replays initiated by other than a manager challenge or a homerun. But I’m sure some are listed here.

31. Tom P. says:

Courtesy of the standings on ESPN.com, all 5 teams in the NL Central are 4-6 in their last 10 games.

The Orie sisters went to prison for that.

33. Iceman says:

Not Pirates related, but baseball related, has anyone been following Brendan McKay from Blackhawk. Kid has gone 58 straight innings without giving up a run. According to one site, that is 4th best in US history! I know his mom and sister and am really excited to see what happens with him in the future. Crazy stuff.

Amazing!!!

35. tdb1977 says:

The whole division stinks ;)

A little different when using public funds and campaign contributions and falsified evidence in court. But, don’t let me interfere with the narrative.

I missed this one, Spunkster, thanks for sharing. It was nuts in here yesterday. Glad to see the Boss let this question come thru. I gotta go see how he answered it.

38. Wild Bill says:

What can you tell us about him, Ice? I’m out here in Central Pa.

Sounds good, Cyril Wecht. :)

ha! I like it!

Dejan Kovacevic
    May 6, 2014 at 6:08 PM

Well, let’s have them, by gosh! Now! This is a major, breaking news story!

Still public funds.

Keep trying. :-)

The Pirates do get some regional district monies, I think. Maybe try that route.

That is interesting stuff.

I have a hard time believing that if an invoice for ski lifts to be used at Seven Springs was paid for out of the bank accounts of the Pirates, that the other owners wouldn’t make a much bigger stink about that. And possibly the Commissioners office. ( if Nutting was the sole owner of the club then that is a little different)

The marketing department at Seven Springs does their own media buying now. (not sure how far back Bee Sea is talking about)

The Orie sisters were elected officials and broke the rules

When it happened, I thought the Commissioner should have given Galarraga the perfect game, primarily because the only thing you have to change is the last batter who made the final out. Just erase that at bat and you’re done. Now with replay, I feel even stronger that he should invoke the best interests in baseball clause for that specific situation.

I feel that bad calls even out and that’s just a part of the game. Or at least it was. And apparently, since they’re not using technology for balls and strikes, calling balls and strikes isn’t as important as plays on the field because in my opinion, a bad ball or strike call can have as much impact on a game as a play on the field.

I guess my answer is that I don’t like a bad call deciding a game but I view a game as around 70 at bats and a couple of hundred pitches so lots of things decide a game. But I can live with bad calls. I doubt a team has ever missed the playoffs because in the end, enough bad calls went against them.

I’m also concerned that the umps will become somewhat complacent and dependent on replay like I think they have in the NFL. And I don’t like this nonsense of the manager coming out to stall for time and wait for the sign from the bench coach who’s talking to someone who isn’t even a player or coach. I think the manager should decide based on what they saw on the field and a discussion with their player involved whether or not to challenge the play.

I didn’t think I would but I miss the traditional arguments. And I’ve heard a number of former players talk about how much it meant to them to see their manager go out and stick up for them and that it does fire them up sometimes.

And I’ve never done anything that resembles that either (no, not autopsies). :)

You take everything 100% seriously, don’t you ?

Seething with sarcasm.

Me neither. :-)

Didn’t only Jane go to jail?

49. Iceman says:

Wish I could tell you more but I have never actually had a chance to watch him play. According to PG article,
    this year he is 5-0 and has allowed eight hits in 34 innings with 78 strikeouts. He has a career record of 27-1 and an 0.43 earned run average in 209 innings. He has two games where he struck out 20 batters. I believe he is batting over .500 right now. He is being recruited from all over. I think I heard that he has committed to Louisville, but I am not certain of that and am not sure where I heard it from.

Wish I could tell you more, but that’s all I got.

lolol

51. tdb1977 says:

Pirates Lineup for today’s game is up:

Snider – RF
    Walker – 2B
    McCutchen – CF
    Alverez – 3B
    Marte – LF
    Davis – 1B
    Mercer – SS
    Stewart – C
    Cole – P

I’ve been following him a bit. My kid went to see him pitch about a week ago. Some reports have him being drafted in the first 5 rounds. He’s a lefty too.

holy smoke!

Managers and pitching coaches have been stalling for time throughout baseball history, or at least since the relief pitcher was invented.

Look at it this way, it’s just another aspect of baseball we can have endless discussions about, with no answer. Isn’t that a good thing? ;-)

+++++

56. It’ll have to Brunchbox today, with him in the lineup and an early game.

It’s not the stalling that bothers me. That’s part of the game to me. It’s the process that seems goofy. But I don’t miss seeing overweight managers run out although I miss the arguments.

And a definite yes to your last question.

58. Iceman says:

Any idea what kind of stuff he has (other than good). I’m curious as to what he is throwing that is striking out such an incredible number of batters.

I think Joan may have only gotten house arrest.

Morning baseball. I mean at least it’s morning to me.

“McKay, a senior left-hander, has not allowed a run in 58 consecutive innings, dating to 2013. According to the National Federation of State High School Association’s record book, McKay’s streak is the fourth-longest in the nation in high school baseball history. The all-time record is 80 innings set by Joey Porter of Natchez, Miss., in 1973.”

Apparently his curveball is phenomenal as is his control. Not a flame thrower as he sits in the mid 80′s but he keeps adding velocity.

63. Now on the DL per 24/7 tweet.

When the ‘joke’ isn’t obvious, then yes sometimes I take the comment serious.
    But I usually get the humor most of the time. I didn’t get how your comment was meant as humor…in context of this discussion

65. Dom says:

That is depressing.

What I don’t like about all this is that when a manager goes out and stalls for time to get the signal from his dugout – - – to me he is challenging the call just by going out and doing that dance.

Yeah. And she’s still fighting some of the other punishments.

Any truth to the rumor that he hurt the thumb hitchhiking to Pittsburgh?

From his older articles on the financials, I believe Dejan wrote that the minority owners were not happy with Nutting not wanting to make distributions from the organization to pay income taxes.

Matt Wieters seeing Dr. Andrews today regarding his elbow pain.

71. Wild Bill says:

Ah, thanks 21.

72. Wild Bill says:

Uh-oh.

73. The Gunner says:

Looks like the Jay Hey experiment is put on hold for today. Let’s hope this is one of the last games Lunchbox plays for the Buccos.

74. Naterosboro says:

It has nothing to do with something being more important. There is no rule book strike zone. It is what the umpire is calling. There is a perceived “zone”, but as we know, some guyziz zones are bigger and some smaller.

Out & Safe are black and white. Did he get to the bag before the ball? Was he tug before he got to the bag? Homeruns are black & white. Did the ball go over the fence or not?

This is why there is no review of balls and strikes. It’s a strictly gray area with no real right/wrong, black/white answer.

There are 3 sisters. One was the secretary to her sister the Supreme Court Justice, I think. They were all in the soup. The one that definitely went to jail was the Representative that falsified evidence, though. That was the one where the judge in the first trial said Ray Charles could tell it was falsified. I heard from a criminal attorney acquaintance, though, that in the second trial they nailed her with the hard drive from the copy machine, which proved the forgery. That’s just what I was told.

76. From Greentree down the Parkway.

Now he’s too “stove up” to play right field.

” There is no rule book strike zone. ”

Sure there is. But obviously they’re not all going to see it the same way. But it’s in the book. Ball has to cross the plate for one.

“It has nothing to do with something being more important.”

I think their actions prove otherwise.

“Out & Safe are black and white.”

Not really. As we saw over the weekend on the play at first when Gaby was playing first.

I guess we’ll have to await the diagnosis to see if Arriba calls Neal a genius.

79. Naterosboro says:

Travis Snider leading off has to be 1 of the weirdest decisions in baseball ever.

He doesn’t hit for average (hitting .213 in 75 ABs this season).

Not a great contact guy (25.3% (19/75) K rate this year).

He’s not a great OBP guy (.296 in his 3 years with the Pirates; .303 for his career).

He’s not fast (0 SB this season; 4 in his 3 years in PIT (incidentally, he had 16 in his 5 years in TOR)).

I’m not making the lineups & I don’t know as much as Clint so he must have good reason. Maybe he just wants to get Snider’s at bat out of the way as early as possible (at least the only 1 he can control).

80. Naterosboro says:

What’s Daniel Moskos up to these days? He had that little cup of coffee with the Bucs, and then was gone.

Does anyone know if he’s in another org, independent ball, out of baseball, etc.?

81. I think he went to ST with the Orioles didn’t he? Didn’t make the team wherever it was.

82. Lad 9 says:

He is donating his UCL for Weiter’s Tommy John surgery. God knows he didn’t use when he was here, so it should be almost as good as new.

83. Clint could lead off with Cole and bat Brunchie 9th.

Nah. That was Littlefield. And I’ll never call him a genius, even jokingly.

He’s with the Dodgers Triple A team. 6.52 ERA in 9 innings.

86. Thanks. That’s not even AAAA stuff.

87. Lad 9 says:

+1 Would give lunchbox a little more time to finish his pregame snack too….

88. Why? Matt Morris and the Giants probably do, especially on banking days.

89. Or “in game” like last night.

Why not just move Marte back up to the leadoff spot?

91. That would be the logical thing for the day. But, the smart-arse thing is to pick on Snider. He’s earned it.

Since I have such a sunny personality I’m going to look on the bright side.

Clint is giving Snider one last chance, with the most potential at bats, and if he fails today, he’s DFA material after the game. (Fingers crossed)

Shouldn’t you be biking to the game by now?

94. Naterosboro says:

You’re correct there is a rule book zone.

Here’s the timeline if anyone is interested: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/umpires/strike_zone.jsp

I guess where it gets into the gray area is interpreting where the “line” is and it’s also supposed to be determined from the batter’s stance when they are ready to swing.

Out & Safe IS black & white. There is no interpretation there (as there is with the strike zone). They call it as they think they see it in real time. If video evidence says otherwise, the call is changed.

I just watched the Gabby play from Saturday, and they felt there wasn’t enough video evidence to overturn the call. Fine.

FWIW, I thought Thole was out ;-)

D’oh! Littlefield!

I think Marte has found a home batting lower.

97. Naterosboro says:

If Pens fans can scapegoat Craig Adams, I think we certainly reserve the right to pick on the LunchBoxHero.

At least Adams has a respectable career and track record…….

98. Naterosboro says:

Thanks for the info 21s. Maybe we’re trying to give back for the Jason Bay trade…..

“Out & Safe are black and white. Did he get to the bag before the ball?”

Did you see the play over the weekend Nate? When exactly do you determine that the fielder controlled the ball as he was catching it? Is that black and white? Because it sure looked the replay officials couldn’t tell exactly when Gaby caught the ball.

What about when a fan interferes with a potential homerun ball? Black and white?

I think that’s a great idea, SPunkster! Cole for lead off batter!

Tell the Mrs. we want pics!

Oh Lord, I just spewed my coffee!

Is that supposed to be funny ? :)

:snicker:

from the Pens’ website:

MORNING SKATE INFO
    Pens defenseman Brooks Orpik, who missed the last five playoff games with an undisclosed injury, joined his teammates for the morning skate.

The Pens used the following workflow…

Kunitz-Crosby-Stempniak
    Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
    Vitale-Sutter-Bennett
    Gibbons-Goc-Adams
    Pyatt-Glass-Conner

The defense worked in groups of three.

And they sent Megna down today, but I see Pyatt up there yet smh

Then I was successful.

HAHA, go for it ;)

Pat yourself on the back ;)

109. Patrick(ri) says:

Lincecum must salivating — 4 nearly auto outs, Pedro and a pitcher he can pitch around if needed. I wish this were sarcasm. Like Sheldon, I am having trouble recognizing sarcasm this year.

We kind of got off on a wrong track, IMHO, going the “criminal” route. (Thanks for that, Milo).

Still, IF TRUE, sounds hinky. And a chink in the Nutting “I never took a paycheck” armor. Not that anyone without Alzheimer’s thinks Nutting is in this for altruistic purposes.

111. Naterosboro says:

I did not see it over the weekend, but when you mentioned it earlier, I went to my MLB app and watched it.

What you’re referencing still isn’t open to interpretation. They were trying to determine if Gabby caught the ball before Thole’s foot hit the bag. That is black & white.

There wasn’t enough video evidence to definitively say 1 way or the other so the call stood.

With fan interfered home runs, you can clearly see the trajectory of the ball from the video & see it’s path. You can see if a fan reaches out over the fence and brings it over. You can see if he’s standing behind the fence and catches it for a homer. Now, if there isn’t enough evidence to definitively say 1 way or the other, then the call will stand as the umpires call it on the field.

I think we’re getting caught up in semantics here.

I’m still right though. ;-)

112. Nate83 says:

Haha, that’s funny. Cole might be pitched around to get to our leadoff hitter. Sadder words have rarely been spoken.

113. Nate83 says:

Well your attempt at being sunny ended with a man losing his job but nice attempt regardless.

114. Patrick(ri) says:

Here is hoping all these guys performance, today, makes me look silly!

+++ We’ll find out soon enough!

Seriously, Nate? We’re going the “guy loses his job” route? For a baseball team? That is 13-20? (And please don’t say I’m blaming the record on Snider). He stinks, and it’s time for the 2 year almost experiment to be over. And, c’mon, even you have to admit the lead off position for him is at least unusual.

So, what’s your take? Without anyone losing their job, of course.

117. If it’s any consolation, I thought he should have lost his job a long time ago. I think a gig on the Food Network would be great for him.

It’s a short career for a ballplayer, anyway. Better perform when you have the chance or take the Emporer Chaz Noll’s advice and “go about your life’s work”.

118. The Gunner says:

It would be a great thing if the Buccos were able to bunch lots of hits together today and beat the Giants senseless.

119. Nate83 says:

I was joking. I forgot to add the smiley face. I think he should be off the team as well. You didn’t read it in the context it was intended.

120. Their lineup is not much better, Patrick, if you go purely by averages. Blanco is hitting .121 leading off. Makes Snider look good at leadoff.

121. Lincecum coming in with a an ERA over 5. It could happen, Guns.

The blog is a bit rough this morning. Must be raining again.

Maybe Adam Richman will hire him ;)

I’m just hoping Thunder finds a place to park his bike.

125. Naterosboro says:

If I recall, it’s these type of guys that usually put up 7 shutouts against our boys. We seem to struggle with pitchers who are struggling.

126. Nate83 says:

Turned the Sirius radio on just in time to hear the announcer say gregor blanco. I was for sure he said Gregory Polanco when I first heard it. Wow was I excited until I heard him say Cole delivers to Blanco and realized I was hearing what I wanted instead of what was actually said.

127. Hope he got it parked before Brandon “Belted” that one. Mercy.

Happens all the time…

129. Nate83 says:

No problems. I could see how my post could have been interpreted as negative instead of joking.

Let people play it out, Jandy. Things are fine.

No need to get involved in everything.

Well, at least he has “options” ;)

TC:

I was going to mention Pence as well. How many times in 2 nights has he just run to the wall with no plan whatsoever? He just runs until he is about to hit the wall, then stops and watches as it ricochets and bounces past him. Then, he goes and gets it. I know RF can be tough with the high wall, but it looks like Tim Neverett may be working with him on judging flyball distances.

And someone needs to get word to the Pirates announcers that Hunter Pence has a terrible arm, not the great arm they keep telling us about. He is the only OF I know who throws sidearm. You can’t throw for any distance that way. He sure has Blass and Brown fooled, though.

I love the way he battles at the plate, though. He seems to do every single thing in baseball as though he never had any formal training. But, he gets the job done. He is killing the Bucs at the dish.

I was making a comment, AW. The mood here sometimes gets rough. My opinon.

My coffee refill is fine :)

Good call, 21. Totally needless throw to 3b. Cost the Giants the game, even with the perfect bounce off the stands that gave them a shot at Marte.

135. I would have kicked in out of my own pocket to have them trade for him when he was with the Astros. Glad they didn’t after seeing him play RF. But he did help the Giants to a WS champeenship after they got him.

136. Nate83 says:

Honestly I’m firmly on the side of being excited to see him but perfectly OK with how they are handling it. Won’t be upset if they bring him up and I also won’t mind if he stays down until after super 2.

Wow, I missed that.

138. Botherhood of the Redus says:

This explains the Polanco extension leak

Lambeau is snake bitten.

Got to the game and boy are my legs tired.

Parked at AllEgheny Center. $15. Got inside for the first pitch.

Saw the homer. And I saw the walk to the new ‘table setter’ Travis Snider

Yeah, after reading all the input here, I say let him be, no need to rush him. The way this team is playing now, he won’t alter the course of history, that’s for sure.

I have also observed that umpires are actually trying to get close calls correct at 2b now, so they don’t get proven wrong on the replay. Before this year, every time the ball beat a guy to 2nd or 3rd, the guy was called out. There were 2 Pirates steals on Monday (Marte and someone else, maybe Josh) who slid and did a great job eluding the tag. The ump called them safe, and I don’t think he would have done that in the past.

143. We expect a pitch by pitch analysis.

Don’t forget the pics (tell the missus).

Another bad throw from an outfielder

146. The Gunner says:

Looks like Snider missed home plate

147. Nate83 says:

This line up is genius!!! :)

148. tdb1977 says:

You would have thought that someone would have attempted to fix Pence’s chicken arm throwing over the years.

Joey Porter? Nice.

It couldn’t have bothered maybe a week earlier? :-)

151. tdb1977 says:

I think I just figured out Sniders problem. I think he can’t see the ball because of his hair. It looks like its getting in his eyes. If he gets a haircut, I bet he would make better contact with the ball. Just my observation

small sample size. ;-)

Shhh! Don’t tell anyone lol

154. The Gunner says:

Lucky

Looks like the Bucs were able to bunch a few hits together in the 1st. Now it’s time for Cole to dominate!!

155. Patrick(ri) says:

Noticed Brown refer to Snider as “Lunchbox.” Is this one of his nicknames, or did it originate on this blog?

156. tdb1977 says:

Its his twitter handle

Because there are cosmic forces at work that make him better at 5-6.

158. Patrick(ri) says:

Thanks.

I understand your opinion. But you don’t make the rules.

Nate and I are fine, and don’t need a referee. We like to jab at each other. That’s just what we do. But I like and respect Nate, and I suspect he likes me (not positive on that).

I don’t think by any stretch this is a rough thread today. Just some robust discussion. You want to look at a rough thread, wait for the Pens thread to come up.

160. Naterosboro says:

And he’s also made no secret of his love for calories.

Are there any calories in a baseball? Maybe that’s the problem…

Who’da thunk it??

I never said I made the rules. Actually I didn’t know there WERE rules.

I’ll be on the Pens thread. I like it. Just l like this one.

I bet Nate DOES like you. ;)

163. Naterosboro says:

Most unorthodox baseball player I’ve ever seen. From both an offense and defense standpoint.

I think Hunter is 1 of those ultimate cases of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”.

Not sure how it happens, but Hunter gets it done most of the time. It may not look pretty, but I don’t think he or the Giants care.

My eyes? That’s another matter. They care a lot.

I believe we have been known to get to Lincecum in the past – as just about every other team also does.

165. The Gunner says:

Jandy

He got it, I saw Lunchbox did, in fact, touch home plate.

Thanks Gunner! Now I can relax ;)

Funny, Nate, I said the same thing way up above. But, I got here late so it was way after the initial comments up there.

But, I agree with you. Pence does everything on the field as though he never had any formal training. But, he’s a good hitter and he causes the Pirates fits.

As a RF, though, he makes JHay look like Clemente. Blass and Brown have both said Pence has a great arm. Umm … no, he doesn’t. He has an awful arm, and no one throws side arm from the OF but him.

Chris Stewart 2 for 2. Hot diggety dog

169. Patrick(ri) says:

Cole is a ball player.

Need a ruling here, should we consider removing Gerrit Cole from the list of pitchers & stinky guys ?

He gets results at the plate and on the bases. All that matters is the final result, not whether it was pretty.

172. Lad 9 says:

Maybe Lunchbox got a trim between innings…..

173. The Gunner says:

For all you Snider haters out there, Lunchbox comes thru!!!

The Giants gave this guy 2/$35 before this season, I believe. That is all.

175. Lad 9 says:

I think so Milo. He is an athlete and a competitor. I love the fire he brings. I say we make him a regular guy….

176. Patrick(ri) says:

I think he goes up to the plate expecting to hit the ball, not hoping.

I’ll give you a preview. Bylsma sucks and should be fired, regardless of the outcome of the playoffs.

178. Patrick(ri) says:

Happy when any Pirate performs!

179. Lad 9 says:

Didn’t understand it then, understand it less now….

++++++

AW, I know how it is on that thread. I don’t like the negativity at times. But I do understand their frustration. SOmetimes I just want to choke DB myself, but hey, LOOK at his regular season record. It says a lot. Does he need to make playoff adjustments? yes. Do the players need to be accountable as well? YES. It’s not all black and white, But I DO like the thread. Just as I do this one. I’m sorry if I seem to jump in sometimes. I’ll try to do better,ok, buddy?

Gunner–I thought you were a Snider “hater.” :-D

183. tdb1977 says:

Wonder if he saw the guy I work with that moonlights as a barber during lunchtime.

:) Now, can they hold the lead? I say YES.

Cole needs to put his foot down today.

I think he will.

Update from the Pens’ website:

ORPIK NOTE
    Brooks Orpik, who participated in today’s skate, did not speak with the media following practice. Head coach Dan Bylsma declined to provide an update on Orpik, who has missed the last five games with an undisclosed injury, other than saying “that was a morning skate participation.”

The lineup is game-time and Marc-Andre Fleury will start in net.

OK…back to baseball!

187. tdb1977 says:

Putting a lot of head down the plate so far that the Giants are pretty much swinging and missing at.

188. tdb1977 says:

Heat too….damn typos!

Oh my!

Good to hear, tdb. I am just following on my phone. Always appreciate first hand accounts.

Uncle Ray needs to tell Cole there is no need for him to slide head first into any base….especially when there is no throw

++++++++

193. pattonbb says:

I say yes, but leave him on the notorious nose picker list.

tdb, Gameday is what I have at work. They said Cole is having trouble placing his 4-seam fastball. Does that seem accurate to you? or is he deliberately going inside or outside depending on the batter? Like he got Pence to chase that outside pitch?

LOL!

196. Nate83 says:

I hate to say it because I’ve always liked him but part of me hopes Orpik stays out a little longer. I like what most of the defensmen are giving us right now and the few I don’t like will not be the one’s that will be removed.

197. tdb1977 says:

To my untrained eye, it looks like he is hitting his marks…but I’m not scout and I have never slept a Holiday Inn Express to even pretend to be a scout.

198. Personally, I don’t hate anyone. Just don’t like his production.

Yeah, I hear ya, Nate. I love what Borts brings, and seems he’s getting more in a “groove” now. Nice stretch pass to Sid last game to set Sid up for his first goal of the playoffs. I’m afraid Borts would be the first to sit, and I want him playing.

200. The Gunner says:

TC

I don’t hate Snider, I just think he is overrated by the BMTIB.

LOL, ok tdb, I go by the eye test myself, so I can handle that reply :)

202. Nate83 says:

Cole is intense. It could be the thing I like most about him (besides the god given gift of throwing a baseball 100 mph). Hopefully it doesn’t get him injured.

203. The Gunner says:

Uh oh!

Lincecum 7 hits and 2 walks in 3 innings. He’s probably luck to only be down 4-1. 71 pitches thrown already.

Gotta love this blog, even the typos are freakin’ hilarious ;)

A curious question for yinz guys. I see on Gameday, it says to vote for the All Stars at MLB.com/VOTE.

Do any of yinz guys vote?

207. Nate83 says:

I do like him but don’t let him know :)

I’m not sure why Blysma would be fired if the Penguins at least play competetively in the conference finals if they get there.

Because he has a favorite player in Adams that some can’t understand? All coaches have favorite players and few are conistent with how they treat every player. Very injury riddled season that still saw them win their division by a good amount. There are not a lot of coaches out there that are not retreads and I’m not sure you want to try and find a new head coach that has never done it before. It’s a veteran team with a lot of egoes. Unless it’s an internal hire I think it would be an uphill battle for any coach.

Hence the quotes. ;-)

Nate, I won’t tell him, it might go to his head ;)

Agreed all around on DB. I think bringing Jacques Martin as assistant coach helped a lot. A new view, voice, what have you. If a team is having issues (like the Pens flaming out the last few playoffs) then it’s easier to fire the coach. You can’t fire the team, right?

210. Double amen to that.

I’m not TC, but by overrated, do you mean he shouldn’t be a platoon RF, or he shouldn’t be on the MLB team?

213. Both. And he’s not dripping with anything but condiments.

214. And I’ll be happy to be proven wrong by season’s end. But he won’t be platooning in right if and when GP comes up. If we keep winning series, that should be this season.

Then you “hate” him. :-D

At least in my quoted definition. I don’t hate anybody, either, certainly not a Pirate. ;-)

I will always love Lincecum and what he represents to people like me not blessed with height and strength. Loved to watch him pitch when he was in his heyday. Loved what he meant to that storied organization and his integral part of snapping its snake bitten history in half.

And, I’m not even a Giants fan. I’m guessing those are some of the reasons for resigning him.

217. Hate ain’t in my vocab. (I’d be a soary minister if it was). Canadian translation of “sorry”.

I just don’t care for his production.

;)

Belt came into this series having gone about 0-25. I think he’s back on track now.

219. Nate83 says:

You are right and ussually it is the coach fired but it doesn’t solve the problem. If the players still view themselves as elite and able to get by on skill alone then it won’t get done in the playoffs. As much as I like Neal I don’t see him busting his butt to get in position in the playoffs. I see the same issue with a few others including Letang. Very careless play. Crosby and Malkin show flashes in the playoffs of taking it up a notch and when they do it is just amazing to watch. Truly amazing athletes that are capable of dominating all parts of the game when they want to.

220. Lad 9 says:

I only vote when I go the ballpark, but that is me Jandy.

221. I don’t. Not since Freddie Sanchez and Bay were fighting to be the extra man or whatever. We should though. Who, besides Cutch would be deserving right now? Maybe PRNW or Pedro again if he keeps adding 40 points a week to his average.

Thanks, Laddie, just wondered.

No. Because his mindset may be different.

This is another one of those games that they won last year, but lose this year.

Maybe Marte, if he keeps on track.

crap

+++

Seemed like the issue was when Gaby controlled the ball.

” Now, if there isn’t enough evidence to definitively say 1 way or the other, then the call will stand as the umpires call it on the field.”

Correct. Then to me, that makes it not very black and white.

229. Nate83 says:

Former Pirate first baseman currently occupy 3 of the top 14 spots in NL batting averages. Morneau .336 (5th), LaRoach .324 (8th) McGehee .314 (14th). Baseball = crazy. Never know what’s going to happen. Based on history Laroach should bat .400 this year when he gets out of these cold months.

With ya all the way on that, John. Very well said.

I guess the elusive clean, comfortable victory appears to be slipping away. Going to have to grind it out again, somehow. Can they count on Pence stumbling into the Clemente Wall in the 9th inning again?

232. Nate83 says:

Why are they bunting with a .357 hitter? :)

JAL will argue, but he did seem to turn a corner a couple of years after he left the Bucs on that early season slump. Still will end up 25-30 HR’s, .270-.285 BA. And I still don’t want to see him in a Pirates uniform. Been there, done that.

I don’t do it on line much, Jandy. I am still old school that way.

very frustrating. Fire Hurdle?

Nuffin wrong with old school, Jimster. Thanks for the input.

237. Nate83 says:

Agree. I’m on record about not being a fan of any of these guys I just thought it was interesting that many former first baseman for the Pirates are off to hot starts. For what it’s worth after Davis’s two hits today he is up to a .348 OBP.

Snider is worried about losing his job. Trip trip triple!

:sigh: Walker pops out.

240. Nate83 says:

13 base runners in 6 innings should produce more then 4 runs. Hopefully that doesn’t come back to hurt them.

Yes, most definitely. He doesn’t have a hit all year.

242. Baywatch says:

I like the Lunch Box, but I’m afraid he’s playing on borrowed time. I can see him getting it someday and doing well somewhere else.

243. The Gunner says:

Either that or he has been reading about all the Snider detractors on this blog

The never ending story of this year, for the most part. Seems like opponents are bunching hits better than we are most days so far this year, Nate.

Does it seem to anyone else like Davis is not driving the ball at all? I know he smoked a double last night, but he seems to have a lot of tentative and/or soft swings. I am no expert on Ike Davis, but I figured with all of his whiffs (and his dripping power) he would be a guy like Pedro that doesn’t get cheated.

We’re 7th in the NL in RISP this year. Cardinals are 10th.

247. Nate83 says:

Back to back quality starts for the starting pitchers. The game really is easier when that happens. Hopefully they can hold on and get Cole a win.

I assume Cole is done at 7/100 today. Or, do we think Clint sends him back out?

Would it be Wilson/Melancon? Or, Morris/Melancon?

249. Nate83 says:

I thought I saw that somewhere. It sure doesn’t feel like it.

They are also 6th in the NL in OBP despite being 11 in batting average.

Good point, 21.

I guess I’m just seeing a lot of baserunners being stranded today, while recalling the 2nd game of that double header in Baltimore. Sometimes things get stuck in the brain, whether they are true or not.

We are 3/9 w/ RISP today according to my phone.

We have been scoring a lot better on this homestand, I think.

lol

252. The Gunner says:

Cole is out there to start the 8th.

253. Nate83 says:

The offense has been dramatically better in the last 8 games. I can’t complain about their production.

With all the talk about the starting rotation, the real culprit has been the bullpen. Last year the Pirates lead the league in save percentage at 79%. This year they are last at only 36%. If they were only clicking at last year’s rate – their record would be 19-14.

All of the above thanks to Travis Sawchuk.

255. Nate83 says:

I could eventually see Cole being like Verlander. He seems to sometimes get stronger as the game goes along. He could routinely get 110-120 pitches in games he is going well.

256. Karen22 says:

Impressive, Mr. Cole! I’d let him finish it!

257. Nate83 says:

Yes but does Travis do daily blog entries? :)

258. Nate83 says:

It would be nice to see the Pirates tack on a run or two here. Also would be nice for Davis to continue his good hitting to start the inning.

Temptress!

260. The Gunner says:

Clint should send Cole out to start the 9th

And Ike comes thru!

* 8th in HR. We have not hit many in the past 2 weeks, after leading the league for the first 20 games or so.

* Tied for league lead in walks drawn, which is helping the OBP.

* 11th in slugging; 10th in OPS

* A big culprit appears to be doubles, and XBH in general. We are dead last in the league in doubles, and only 3 teams are behind us in XBH per game. Last season, the Bucs did much better in those categories.

FWIW, our 2013 NL ranks offensively:

* 2b – 8th
    * 3b – 3rd
    * HR – 3rd
    * BB – 7th
    * Avg. – 11th
    * OBP – 8th
    * Slg % – 7th
    * OPS – 8th

Melancon warming up.

Pretty awesome inning, too.

107 pitches through 8.

I’m still hung up on the Sunday game vs. Milwaukee (aka Brawl-Gate), where he was at 92 through 8 and Clint pulled him. Oh well, water under the bridge.

265. Naterosboro says:

Jody’s been practicing his sac bunting during BP these past few days. I have an inside source says he reads the blog ;-)

266. Naterosboro says:

well there goes that…

I think the right call to go with a pinch hitter to try and steal a run here. Plus, give Melancon another shot at these guys. I’m sure he’ll want to put em away this time.

267. Karen22 says:

You rang? ;)

OK gotta hold ‘em. Melancon, please work magic :)

269. Patrick(ri) says:

A bit of a masochist?

LOL! you sound like Planimal ;)

Yep, he’s a horse, Nate.

I always read about these Pirates prospects gaining MPH as they mature in the system. I heard once where Cole was asked how long he has been throwing this hard. I think he said he was throwing close to 100 in HS. He has been a full grown man for a long time already.

Jim, he sure is a horse, and I gotta add….

He’s easy on the eyes, too ;)

273. Patrick(ri) says:

Brown all worked up over no back-to-back 8 inning performances since 2007. Did’t know Hurdle has been here that long?

274. The Gunner says:

Mark the shark got the job done just for you, Jandy!!

275. Karen22 says:

RAISE IT!! :)

276. Nate83 says:

Raise it!!!!!

4-2 on the homestand so far. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come. It would be nice to take the series against the Cards and inch closer to them. They currently are only 3 games ahead of the Pirates and occupying 2nd place in the division.

Woo-hoo! Raise it! Melancon holds it down :)

278. Patrick(ri) says:

He said, dropping with sarcasm. Kudos to Snider, today.

Two good starts in a row. Gotta start somewhere.

280. Patrick(ri) says:

Argh, typo disease strikes again.

+++

LOL! You got it bad, Patrick

I think he was listening.

284. TJA says:

Very impressive pitching the past two days. Maybe a sign of things to come. THIS is more of the Pirates that we know. Huge Series coming up with the Cards. It’s nice to be going in on a high note.

285. Nate83 says:

Brewers losing 3-1 in the 8th. They have started to struggle a bit. It’s a big hole the Pirates dug themselves into but luckily the Reds and Cards are not of to good starts either.

It is hard digging out from 10-18 to get back to .500. It would be nice to just reel off 12 of 14, or something like that. But, nothing comes easy for this team so far. I think we are now 10-8 in one run games of our 14 victories.

We have a couple of blowout wins, but we need to start stacking the 4-1 & 5-2 wins more often. Needing to win by 1-run for 70% of your wins is no way to climb back to .500.

But, as Milo said, that is 2 great starts in a row. Need to take 2 from the Cardinals as well, although 3 would be quite nice. Hopefully, we can keep scoring.

287. Glad the Cards are down the ladder on hitting with RISP. That’s all we heard last season was how good they were at it.

I suppose Lunchie bought himself some more time, today. Or some more grilling items.

If the Brewers lose, I think they would be 9 games over .500 – a mere 7.5 ahead of the Bucs. That’s still a big deficit, but we need to keep getting better a little at a time.

St. Louis is not scoring a lot, and neither is Cincy. They are each only 2 – 3 game ahead of us.

289. Baywatch says:

Sometimes I forget that POTASH is a bigger circus clown than Robby!

He was ;)

+++

What’s the term…baby steps?

293. TJA says:

The next 6 games…again…are vs the Cards and Brewers. Let’s hope this will be different that April. I agree with you guys that the Cards and Brewers are struggling a bit, too. A good chance to make this up. I like what we have seen the past couple days.

294. The Bucs have taken their second straight series after that rough start on Monday night, and Gerrit Cole showed why he’s the Bucs’ best pitcher to date. Now frankly, I’ll never quite get over how the Bucs won last night’s contest, I mean, with Marte scoring on that reversed call in the 9th, though we’ll certainly take it. And now, it’s on to tonight’s Pens/Rangers hockey game. And I hope , naturally, that the Pens come out on top.

Now that wasn’t so hard was it?

296. TJA says:

Indeed….GO PENS!

298. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Forgive me for not reading all 300 comments, I’m sure they are all extremely insightful and spot on.

I missed today’s game, but nice to see another strong start from a starting pitcher.

That is the key element to the game. I don’t care about offensive categories, those chips will fall, but you win baseball games with good pitching.

I’ll take another series win.

I’ll take another series win

My take, James, is the Bucs won last night because the replay fixed the initial bad call by the ump. If he had made the call correctly in the first place, they would have won w/o the replay being needed. We can either like replay or hate it, but it did exactly what it was designed to do.

300. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Opps

Changing my name to “Jimmy two time”

Get the papers, get the papers

Yeah, remember when all their “professional” hitters had cracked the code? Some years you hit well with RISP, and some years you don’t. It all tends to wash out over time, so that the good hitting teams do it best and the bad ones do it worst.

Yes, that one works.

Elephant. One bite at a time.

Fortunately, only the Brewers have put any real distance between us and the division lead. Maybe they are slowing down a bit here.

DBacks hung on, 3-2.

We need to start talking about women’s sports more here. ;-)

305. Tom P. says:

Brewers just lost, 3-2. They have now lost 6 of 8. They host the Yankees for 3 this weekend.

308. The Gunner says:

Patrick

Sounds like you got the shakes today. Too much coffee??

309. Karen22 says:

Brewers’ slide corresponds with Fraud out of the lineup on the DL. Just sayin’.

310. Karen22 says:

YES YES! Your turn, Pens!!

311. The Gunner says:

Lucky

Lunchie will not go down easy for guys like you and me. I think he is reading this blog and maybe he is even a blogger!!

312. How about volleyball to start?

Yes. Good point, Karen. He is huge for them.

I wonder if the DL stint corresponds with him taking PEDs for years. Maybe it will catch up with him, maybe not.

On a related note, no one on the Brew Crew has been smacked in the face with a bat by a teammate while walking in the dugout.

Hey, Ryan. You are now in OUR time zone. No 3 hour delay excuse for not reading all 300 posts before posting.

:-D

315. The Gunner says:

tsk tsk, Jandy

316. I hope so, Gunner. We’ll keep him straight. Or Jandy can exercise the 9 wides on his little rump.

I’d be as happy as anyone for him to succeed. He led off today as good as could be expected. Consistency would help and quit eating in the dugout in front of everyone.

I’m sure he’s a fine person, but we can’t have him making outs and running pass patterns in RF and causing 4-run innings.

;)

317. Andrew says:

I actually take little joy in the Cardinals RISP struggles because it reminds me that last year the Pirates’ pitchers were the 2nd best in the league in high leverage situations, this season 2nd worst in the league.

318. Andrew says:

Why is he on the DL, is it an oblique or the hand issue he chose not to have surgery on last year?

319. Karen22 says:

One can only hope, Jim…can’t stand to even look at the guy.

Phil Irwin has been sent back to Indy. No need to announce a move until Friday. Won’t need another starter until Sunday the 18th.

When Marte’s negotiations leaked in spring training, the deal was done shortly thereafter. There’s talk of adding a position player. They have a guy hitting .395 at AAA.

321. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Except my sleep schedule is jacked up. I’m a night walker this week.

322. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

He got hit in the face by. Teammate.

Foul ball or something stupid, don’t remember which.

Just imagine this team without #22 in the lineup. My how ugly.

323. Add him. Let him sign that contract, too. Nice insurance for his family now and when he thrives, he can re-negotiate it.

Market value. No more, no less.

(That’s my prediction about what DK will say).

;-)

Gunner, I value your opinion. But I didn’t ask for it regarding Snider.
    :-)

326. JosePagan says:

A sad note. I know a lot of you did not always like him, but a former contributor on the old PBC blog passed away. Kirk Doel (NuttingHostage) passed away this week at the age of 49. Love him or hate him, he was a knowledgeable baseball guy and 49 is just way too young.

Jose

327. Daquido_Bazzini says:

Jose….What happened?!
    I just heard from him recently on Twitter.
    SO sorry to hear this….

So sorry to hear that. Such a shame.

Thank you for letting us know Jose.

329. JosePagan says:

No idea, Daq. Lost touch with him when I started grad school and he moved away from W PA. Happened on the obit while checking something else and did a double-take. Love him or hate him we sure had some fun on the blogs together and from my perspective as both an opponent and an ally. He knew his baseball, that was for sure.

Jose

This is simply awful news.

The man was knowledgeable, and passionate. What more could you ask for?

That’s really sad, Jose. I didn’t realize he had moved. Thanks for pointing it out. He could be difficult, but I always enjoyed the interaction and his contributions. A lot of us, including you, wanted him to come to a “gathering,” whether ” pro” or ” anti.” Man . . .

Reading between the lines, sounds like a heart attack.

I remember he loved hunting and his dogs. He was definitely unique and his own person.

333. JosePagan says:

Agreed. For sure he loved his pets and I remember he always took a sabbatical from the blog for deer season. I always wished he would come to one of the gatherings just to get to chat with him about baseball in general and some non-baseball things.

Jose