Penguins fire Shero

The Penguins have called a press conference to announce the firing of Ray Shero. I’ll be there working on a special Saturday column, plus a whole lot of other stuff.

Latest on that front, by beat man Rob Rossi.

Here’s TribLIVE’s Penguins page and our Chipped Ice blog. And you should know that TribLIVE Radio is going all-out on this topic. Click and hear for yourself. Good stuff.

Comments

1. Steve in VA says:

At what time is the press conference?

11:30….a half hour

OK, it’s really true. ESPN broke into basketball coverage to report it.

;-)

4. John says:

Why are Pittsburgh sports writers/columnists always beaten on local stories by national writers? Hoping all the way back to Mario s un retirement.
    And how does Neal Huntingon still not only have his job but keeps getting endless un deserved extensions? best 3 players on the ML team are David Littlefield s, including a MVP.

One owner wants to win, one wants to just run a business. Shameful

They didn’t mess around, did they…..

6. hockeymonster says:

:putting on shirt n tie:

lol

You would have fired Huntington after last season?

I prefer the British “sacked” over “fired”. Don’t know why.

10. Lad 9 says:

LMAO. Amazing it got covered on the NBA channel…

11. Wild Bill says:

EdSo, Bylsma not fired – yet?

12. Wild Bill says:

Or, so Bylsma not fired – yet?

13. hockeymonster says:

OOOOhhhh….they want to get Disco and his assistants to resign. DAAAYYYUUUMM…this is gonna get ugly.

Not worth even engaging, 21.

15. SeanAY says:

This is BIZARRE.

For all the obvious reasons.

16. Florida Steeler says:

Radio is calling the Pens–Piratesque. Something the Pirates would do in the dark of the night.

17. likeabugonarug says:

Just curious, but if the stories of “sabotage” from the inside are true (Crosby and Malkin), who do they think they will get to coach? Assuming Bylsma is fired, too, if the inmates are running the asylum, that doesn’t bode well for the future of this team. You would think as he’s had time to reflect on this, Mario would realize that doesn’t get you very far.

Kevin

Anyone else think it is not only bizarre, but in a way, kind of cruel to make Bylsma twist in the wind like this? I mean, what are the chances of him keeping his job? What GM would come in and say “Yeah, I think a good first move would be to retain the coach?”

19. Steve in VA says:

John Tortorella will show them who is boss, because we need crosby and malkins number one job to be blocking shots

Haha, thank you.

21. Daquido_Bazzini says:

This tells me that someone with power in the Penguins building wants to retain Bylsma.
    99% chance the new GM releases him of his duties, but that’s the silent word from this move today.

22. Barb S says:

Crosby should remove the “C” from his uniform-there was no leadership from him this season-just a bunch
    Of whining. It was his responsibility to gather the players together for the same purpose. I feel as if he was
    Also instrumental in Therrien firing as well. The inmates are definitely running the show. Beware future GM/coach!

I also think this is totally bizarre.

What possible reason could they have for keeping Bylsma. Some have floated theories that they are trying to block him getting a new job, by not firing him until all other jobs are filled. If that is the case that is, in the famous words of Bob Smizik, DESPICABLE.

I can now see why the Penguins’ theme song was never “We Are Family”.

Seems like many of the platitudes given to the organization over the last few years are turning out to be based on winning covering up some serious warts.

It’s always easier to lead when things are going well.

25. Steve B. says:

Nothing bizarre about it. They are simply letting the new GM decide on a new coach(s)…as it should be. Shero hired/extended Bylsma and the new GM will hire his successor. Bylsma will be fired, just no sense in the ownership carrying out a GM’s responsibilities.

So do you think a new GM comes in and thinks that they kept Bylsma around because someone with power within the building wants to retain him…so then the new GM will go against that person with power?

THis is just too weird.

27. Daquido_Bazzini says:

Sounds like a power play (no pun intended).
    Someone with power wants him to stay, others don’t….The compromise was to let a new GM come in and decide.

28. RELENTLESS_FORECHECK says:

My gut reaction? Ownership is trying to half-ass it: they couldn’t just stand by while the status-quo wasn’t producing the desired results, but they lacked the intestinal fortitude to commit to the inevitable drop in standings while an entirely new regime established the groundwork for the next chapter of Penguins Hockey.

29. Barb S says:

I also agree with Jim S that it’s totally classless to leave Bylsma hanging-almost seems like they are checking to see what
    the feedback is with Shero’s firing before they pull the plug on Bylsma. Above all this is a game and these players make a ton of money-they don’t solve world hunger or world peace-so those wearing the “C” n “A” should take heat as well.

30. Robert says:

Penguins fans don’t want to hear it but Bylsma leading the Penguins to the 2nd seed & the 2nd round of the playoffs with half an NHL roster isn’t underachieving. The TEAM, and it is a team sport, wasn’t good enough or physical enough to win in the playoffs.

So a guy that has absolutely no idea what’s gone on here behind the scenes between the players & the coach for the last year or so is going to decide what’s gone on here behind the scenes between the players & the coach for the last year or so.

Makes plenty of sense to me. My head is going to explode.

32. Ellie says:

Absolutely, JS. Don’t like this one bit. More drip-drip-drip, leaving a good man to twist in the wind. It’s classless. I don’t like what this Organ-I-zation is showing us of itself. It looks like the problems run a lot deeper — or, should I say, *higher* — than most people suspected.

33. TK says:

Ray Shero when he retained Therrien.

34. TK says:

They want the new GM to make the decision, can he get along with Bylsma or does he have his own guy?

35. likeabugonarug says:

Funny, some of these comments. Weren’t some of you same people also calling for this ownership group to buy the Bucs a few years ago? And ticked at Nutting for not selling? :-)

I think they aren’t firing Dan because they know they need to let Shero go and eat his contract. They aren’t looking so quickly to eat Dan’s, too.

Kevin

I think, and mind you, this is just my opinion, that ownership is sending a message to the new GM-to-be who is in charge.

Who’da thought that this mess would show up with the Pens?

38. Can someone explain to me why the Pens didn’t fire both the Coach and the GM at the same time? And can someone please explain to me what the Pens mean when they say they’re doing things ‘systematically’, especially since they’re leaving Coach Bylsma’s fate to the new GM? It’s as if nothing else really matters to the Pens owners except winning hockey games and selling out Consol Center since they obviously don’t know how to run a sports franchise.

The new GM can make a decision to do what Management wants and stay or…

So who is in charge?

As long as your hair doesn’t catch on fire, you’re OK, Milo!

indeed

smh

44. Daquido_Bazzini says:

Any and all franchises have up and downs and turmoil.
    The Nutting Regime?….That’s a whole different ball game.
    I long for the day when Bob Nutting is out as Pirate owner.

45. Andrew says:

While not the same, the Maple Leafs fired GM Brain Bruke before last season but kept Caryle then installed a new team president this year and extended Randy Carlyle, even though Carlyle oversaw a fairly epic collapse and missed the playoffs, and runs one of the dumbest systems in all of hockey.

Why would they want him to get along with Bylsma? Don’t enough people think that Bylsma is not a good enough coach and has lost the respect of a lot of the players? Why would they want to keep Bylsma?

Kevin, I wasn’t calling for it, but I wouldn’t have minded this ownership group buying the Bucs. They’re making needed changes. They just had too much patience and waited a year too long.

I think my hair is on fire and I don’t even care for hockey all that much.

Not me!

Seriously, Mario and Ron

51. Robert says:

Bylsma didn’t have a good enough or physical enough team to win in the playoffs. He earned the 2nd Seed in the East with half an NHL team and having most that half being injured for extended periods of time during the season. Never does everyone agree with a coach’s system, but he didn’t earn a pink slip if the team’s performance is looked at objectively. The assembly of players wasn’t good enough. Giving the decision to the new GM is fair.

Like I said to Jim, I think winning covers up a lot of warts. IMO, chances of all this disfunction being brand new are slim to none.

53. Andrew says:

Sic semper evello mortem Nutting!

well now, you can’t compare Canadians to the rest of the NHL coaches and managers ;)

55. Robert says:

I should have proofread that last post. Grammar bad in that one…

56. Patrick the suspiciously passionate says:

If they don’t want to let him go just to save what’s left on his deal OR to keep him from coaching against them this year…well…the only time it’s acceptable to do this kind of thing to an employee is during the filming of adult movies..

And what does this say to potential coaching replacements? The Penguins have never had a great reputation for how they treat their coaches. Think a high profile coach like Babcock would consider it after watching what happened to his predecessor? Again, if the Penguins are doing this solely for financial reasons then this is Bush League. It’s the kind of BS i would expect from Al Davis.

I think they’ll have the new GM do their dirty work.

58. Mario just told the Post Gazette’s Gene Collier that there’s a chance the Pens might keep Coach Bylsma which is why he wasn’t fired today. In the meantime, you all figure this out.

59. Ellie says:

Well, they’re doing a crappy-ass job.

Yeah, there, I said it.

LOL, sorry Cracker. I must confess, while I’m SAYING I think the new GM will do the dirty work, I’m still a bit scared inside.

+++

62. Nate83 says:

I just got back from lunch and listened to the press conference which I had paused on the radio. All I can say is surprise ending. I don’t buy that they are trying to get Bylsma to leave on his own. These coaches have huge egoes and he will need to be fired and more then likely the new GM will do so shortly after being hired.

63. Ellie says:

Well, that effectively neuters the new GM, whoever he might be, doesn’t it? Sigh. It’s going to be a long off-season.

64. Dan Novak says:

What would it say if Sir SIDS agent Pat Brisson got the job ?

65. George Labecki says:

Okay boys and girls, let me get this straight. That other team in the state, the one I made fun of for hiring Craig Berube, that’s the stable hockey team in the state of Pennsylvania. What an unbelievably sinuous twist.

I can hardly wait for the seventeen-year-old to get home to get his reaction.

Bizarre.

66. TK says:

Maybe they think Bylsma is a good coach? He holds the win record for the Pens. He got to 200 wins faster than any other NHL coach. He also coached the Olympic team.

Or maybe because they have one more year on his contract and, if the rumors of player discontent are true, maybe the management wants to send a message to the players that they will not give in to player demands.

Or maybe I’m just speculating and talking out my butt.

wisdom

This is starting to smell like an organization that is speaking with more than one voice.

69. Matt says:

It’s times like this when we need to ask ourselves, “what would Gary Roberts do?”.

good one!

Last night I went back to look at the archives because, well, that’s the kind of stuff you do with insomnia and no ambien. I looked at the archives around the hockey trade deadline for the 12-13 season and the stuff around the Scuds and Letang signings last July.

A few dissenters but pretty much glowing reviews and somewhat effusive praise for the organization and GM, especially about the trades.

Now, today. In the course of one week the Pens have become the comical soap opera of Pittsburgh. Like sands through the hour glass…

72. Ellie says:

It would say that the inmates continue to run the asylum, as they have since Lemieux’s playing days.

73. Nate83 says:

He wouldn’t let Crosby get cross checked across the back of the head. He would win battles along the boards and bull his way towards the net to get a rebound or cause some interference.

74. Ellie says:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Oh, Gary Roberts … be still my li’l hockey-fan heart.

Yep. Had to call the presser because Shero was out and couldn’t let this fester over the weekend. Moving ahead while still figuring out what to do is always inelegant.

76. RELENTLESS_FORECHECK says:

If I recall correctly, Carlyle was a first-year coach at the time. Same with Vancouver and John Tortorella. In both of those situations, ownership left the new GM to further evaluate whether or not the coach’s body of work was compelling enough to retain his services.

It’s a much different situation in Pittsburgh. If ownership can’t determine if Dan Bylsma is taking this team in the right direction by now, they’ve made the wrong decision at the wrong time.

But, in this situation? Things have gotten pretty bad with this team.

Doesn’t sound like a recipe for hiring the best GM available.

79. Andrew says:

Bylsma coached one of the dominate puck possession teams in hockey, when he had adequate bottom six. The last two Penguins teams were two line teams that bleed possession without Crosby and Malkin on the ice, and lacked an third line, so Crosby’s line had to shoulder defensive responsibilities. Many have addressed the Penguins lack of any forward talent, player personal is on the GM.

I think they are just doing due diligence, my one observation is in assessing blame Pittsburgh media, Bylsma > Shero, outside hockey media Bylsma < Shero.

So if Dan Bylsma is still the coach, when are the Penguins making him available to the media ?

81. Andrew says:

Sports media and we fans are a fickle results based breed with strong instincts towards a herd mentality.

82. And the Pirates/Yankees game has just been post phoned because of rain, and will be part of a Sunday doubleheader. And so, there’ll nothing else to discuss today but this Penguins’ nonsense.

83. hockeymonster says:

Hard to find those who are consistently right. If the pens have a chance to bring someone like that in as a consultant or assistant, they should give them an opportunity.

84. TK says:

Maybe the wanted Shero to fire Bylsma. Shero wouldn’t do it. So they fired Shero.

Management’s job is to hire and fire the GM. It is the GM’s job to hire and fire the coaches.

If the Pens fired Shero first , officially there was no one in a position to fire the coach.

So either the interim GM does it (unlikely) or the new GM does it (since he will want his own person).

Just thought I’d mention here quickly that the Pirates game has been postponed. Doubleheader Sunday.

I admit I LOVED the Scuds signing. Little did I know the Scuds we remembered was replaced with this older, tired version of Scuds. I’d like to blame it on DB’s “system” but I can’t say another system would be better for him.
    And everyone knows I’m a Tanger fan. Like HM, I think he rounded back into form nicely the end of the season and into the playoffs. Tanger I DO believe would benefit from a firm hand and more instructions from a defensive minded coach.

It’s definitely weird, but they apparently want to let the new GM make the decision. Weird and surprising in this situation, but not totally irrational.

Chain of command. I highly doubt it’s to save a few bucks.

I also highly doubt how they’re treating Dan is going to keep other coaches from not wanting the job. This is the NHL, not the Steelers.

On the other hand, if the marketing department made the decision, they sure have gotten everybody talking. ;-)

the $64,000 question.

Because of the Pens announcement?

:-D

90. hockeymonster says:

Supposedly we where drafting players based on disco’s system. Obviously don’t know for sure but that was the sense i got from quotes in that PGH magazine link Milo posted.

+++

92. hockeymonster says:

Jandstar, Scuds wasn’t as bad as people are making him out to be. Don’t follow the herd on this one.

Agreed

SO, SeanAY, what’s your take, I’ve been waiting to hear what you think. I’m very curious.

No, I’m not saying he was terrible. Just not who he was…and why should he be? He’s older.

96. cobra39 says:

Pens need not engage in a protracted search for a GM. I’ve done the work for them. A guy with ties to the Penguins and to Mario. A guy with a winning career record as NHL coach.

Ladies and gentlemen, your new Penguins General Manager:

97. SeanAY says:

#ALLIN

98. Andrew says:

Yes they retained Carlyle prior to last season, but just extended him despite Leafs having the exact same issues that plagued his Ducks teams.

My point was that there are instances were the GM is fired and not the coach, several in the NFL. It is not over yet.

What about the possibility that they’ll tell the new GM they’re firing Bylsma but they want it to come from him to present the appearance that the new guy is in control from the outset?

I think it means the new guy is the interim guy, and he likes Bylsma.

Another possibility, NMR

102. hockeymonster says:

Jandy, he also came back to a team that was vastly different than the one he left. Trust me when i say that he was waaaay down the list of issues.

Dang, sorry 21. Don’t hit me ;)

104. cobra39 says:

Here are my thoughts on the Scuderi matter: Breaking an ankle is not a minor injury, especially when you’re over 30. Your calf muscles become very atrophied as you heal and your entire leg just doesn’t feel “right.”

I have to imagine that: 1) his subpar play was attributable in part to the busted ankle, and 2) a full offseason’s rest might do wonders to get his play back to preveious levels.

105. Like I said on the earlier blog, 3-year extension for DB. You heard it here first.

;)

I like Scuds, and would love to see him succeed.

107. Andrew says:

That may be true, the Penguins haven’t had that many picks because they kept trading them away.

I also saw that there is a contract issue with Bylsma, this may all be moot in a day or two.

I saw that PGH Magazine piece linked to by a hockey analysts and his quote was, “How to write about hockey when you don’t understand hockey.”

108. Skip says:

Maybe the way ownership is handling this today demonstrates that they’re part of the problem, too — not just the coach and GM. Potentially a dysfunctional operation from the very top on down.

Very depressing to watch all of this unfold before us…

Amrageddon!

“You’re not in control, and we are proving that by firing the coach before you show up. But, it needs to appear as though you are in control and made this decision. But, let me repeat, you are not now, and will never be, in control. Still want the job?”

You may have this right, 21. Nothing surprises me at this point.

Heck, Lucky. They may have taken a page out of the Nutting book and already secretly extended him several months ago.

112. cobra39 says:

Well, that would certainly break the logjam as far as the season ticket waiting list is concerned.

That analyst wasn’t Jeremy Roenick, was it????

I like ” The Loo” over the bathroom, too.

115. RELENTLESS_FORECHECK says:

Hmm… interesting thought raised elsewhere: Dan Bylsma is being retained for one more season until Mike Babcock is free of his contractual obligations with Detroit and can sign as coach for the Penguins.

I can almost hear the conversations in the Penguins boardroom… Ok, we really want Mike Babcock, but we can’t have him until the end of next season. What do we do in the interim? Firing Bylsma and naming an interim coach now would most certainly mean a drop in the standings as the team adjusted. Even if we missed the playoffs with the interim coach, it would look bad if we released him after one season. People would catch on that we intended to bring in Babcock all along. Worse yet, what if the interim coach actually improves the team? How do we release him then? You know, it’s much less complicated to just stick with Bylsma, let his contract run out, and then hire Babcock outright. After all, firing Shero should be enough to shake up the status quo… for now.

116. Dante says:

I just don’t understand why firing shero but not bylsma makes sense. Keeping dan means more of the same. If Sid and malkin have a disconnect with the coach why not fire him now

117. Susan says:

Gene Collier is reporting that he talked to Lemieux and Burkle and they said that absolutely Bylsma could stay. That is the total opposite of what you are reporting?

118. hockeymonster says:

I’m not one to tell the pens what to do but here are the lines combos i would shoot for going into next season:

Rough outline:
    kuni-sid-evil stewie
    super duper-geno-Vrbata(2.5-3M)
    raymond/pouliot(1.5-2M)-Sutter-BB
    winnik-goc-payerl/adams

Doing some quick math you can get this top 13 for roughly 43M. Add flower and tanger and you’re up to 55M for 15 spots. That leaves 13M or so for 6-8 spots. 4.5M for nisky would be my max. And if we trade real deal or any other vets we’ll have cheaper players coming back. Despres and bortuzzo wont break the bank, Maatta, harrington, dumoulin add up to less than 3M.

Too soon? :)

119. True, Jim. And they might even re-hire Shero.

120. Ellie says:

You don’t suppose *he* would be interested in coaching …?

Heck yeah, too soon, we’re still trying to get Bylsma fired!

I would never hit a lady Jandy. Or you.

123. Skip says:

And let me get this straight: by only firing Ray Shero, I guess I’m supposed to conclude that he, and he alone is responsible for ALL the failures of the last five years?

Furthermore, the fact he was selected as the Asst GM of the US Olympic hockey team was also a colossal mistake on the part of David Poile and USA Hockey?

Ray Shero seems to be a fine man and in my opinion, a good GM. In fact, most people who are now calling for his firing, up until just days or weeks ago, considered him if not the best, then certainly among the very best GM’s in the NHL. I believe firing him in this manner is a mistake.

My goodness. Poor, poor, 21… ;)

I wonder if they told Bylsma he had to make practices more fun next year. ;-)

A little too Machiavellian for my tastes, if you mean that it will appear that he is, but he won’t be really.

never thought of it, Ellie ;)

128. hockeymonster says:

I think it’s clear what’s going on…

Well, now I’m heartbroken…not :P

130. Guest says:

Yeah, that doesn’t sound like an extreme overreaction grounded in baseless speculation at all…

131. SeanAY says:

Honestly? I don’t even know. This was NOT the way I saw this going.

This should have been the day the Pirates called up Polanco….then maybe they wouldn’t have to answer so many ‘what took you so long’ questions

133. Nate83 says:

There is no way they waste another year of Crosby and Malkin in their prime to wait for another coach if they don’t perceive Bylsma as a guy who can lead this team to the Cup. If he’s not the man he is gone. There should not be any keeping the seat warm type of stuff going on in my opinion.

I hate when they get postponed. I don’t have time on Sunday to watch 2 d*mn. Do they ever even think of these things when they cancel games? I bet not. :-(

Well, then I don’t feel so bad for guessing and not even trusting what I’m guessing lol.
    Thanks, SeanAY, appreciate your honest response.

Riverhounds.

Rookie mini-camps, which apparently exist.

137. Andrew says:

No, no, no, I don’t consider those guys analysts, more like TV presenters, I would have to go back and look to see who linked to it. The article is written well and the author constructs a good narrative but the stuff about blocked shots is utter nonsense, when I first read it there was no editor’s note, which is still nonsense.

Maybe Bob Nutting could buy them out.

I’ll be watching the Altoona Curve Sunday evening :)

140. lupesanchez says:

That could be. Mario wanted him to stay, in that scenario, I’d imagine.

Still a ham-handed way to handle it, no matter how Lemieux or anyone else would like to spin it. No rule says ownership can’t fire a head coach.

no worries, Andrew.

I prefer truck to lorry and flashlight to torch. I’m split on elevator vs. lift.

143. Well, Jason Montero is the Pens Interim GM and he’s a candidate for the GM job, although that likely depends on whether the ownership can agree on whether someone should be promoted from within or hired from the outside, and since they likely can’t agree on that right now, Coach Bylsma stays for now. At least that’s the only sense I can make of all this right now.

144. Justin says:

I think this decision is very wise by Mario and Burkle. You can use the GM interview process as a great learning tool. While interviewing potential candidates you will get an outsiders opinion on how they would run the team and what they think is and is not wrong with the team. Bylsma is probably gone, but if through the interview process all your candidates are pushing to keep him and/or don’t have good ideas for a replacement, then you go with what you have. What if the GM candidates all came in and said ” I had a plan to change this team while including Bylsma”, then you jumped to decisions too soon. Even if a coaching change is made, its great to get ideas from outsiders.

145. Nate83 says:

Is there a disconnect? Maybe Sid, Geno and Bylsma have all asked for certain types of players to be brought in by trade or free agency and none of it has happened.

In 2013 they added a lot of bells and whistles but maybe that isn’t what anyone except Shero wanted. They added more frosting to a cake that already had plenty when what it really needed was more cake underneith the frosting to support it. And not just plan vanilla cake. Maybe some devils chocalate. Something that will get in their and mess it all up.

No, he isn’t

147. NPerino says:

Quire frankly, this is the most ridiculous thing I’ve read as it relates to hockey, at any level of competition.

Great, now I want some cake!

149. Nate83 says:

Hmmmmm…..this has never happened before. Conflicting stories in sports is so rare. My head may explode.

150. Nate83 says:

TC, they would look like hero’s. On a day that the penguins are perceived to have missed a lay up for the Pirates to do what most think is the right move and bring Polanco up would be a home run.

151. Nate83 says:

Well you can’t have your cake and eat it too. You have a choice to make. Fire Bylsma or eat some cake.

*searches Groupon calendar for “PNC Park”*

But, if they had already fired Bylsma, what GM candidate would say that he would have kept him?

Are you guys hijacking this thread and taking it in a distinctly “Pirates” direction?

155. Guest says:

Could not agree more!

First Milo’s head. Now yours?

Everyone is either leaving of their own accord or by having their head explode.

Are they on the ESPN Sunday Night game this week? :-)

158. Nate83 says:

In my opinion the only problem the Penguins have is they are 100 grit sandpaper and they need to be closer to 400 grit. I only care that ownership has recognized that as being the problem and then figured out why that is the problem. If it was decided that was on Shero more the Bylsma then I’m good with the move. I have to trust their judgement. Although in the end I think they are both gone.

As much as we do not like players like Lucic, Marchand, Giroux and Ovechkin the penguins need players like that on their team. Good players that play with an edge but not in a stupid way like Neal has. Players that get under your skin and disrupt you. There is nothing disruptive about Neal hacking away at somebody and taking a penalty. Kunitz has a little bit of that but not enough. Dupius seems to be good at this and maybe things would have been different with him being in the playoffs. I think they need pest more then they need goons.

So, he (Shero) gave up a 7-figure job because he wouldn’t fire a guy they were going to fire one way or the other?

Or, are you saying all the GM candidates might now say they want to keep Bylsma w/o knowing the ultimate plan for him, and that might change their opinion of him?

161. Nate83 says:

Milo’s head exploded as well? I had no idea. It sounds like an epedemic. We better get this under control. Heads are essential.

162. TK says:

Could be he did it because he believed in Bylsma (loyalty).

Could be he did not have the stomach to fire Bylsma (cowardice).

Could be he did not because he saw the writing on the wall (his own firing) and figured if they want Bylsma gone let them do it (the screw you principle)

Could be he did not because he felt his track record with the Penguins could lead to another 7 figure position (confidence mixed with possible delusion).

163. hockeymonster says:

Hard to block shots when you’re not backchecking hard enough to be in postion to block shots.

164. hockeymonster says:

Lets hold our horses…these guys, especially Mr. Burkle play the long game. Too early to judge. They know what they’re doing.

Yep. I must admit, I’m feeling a little cranial pressure myself with all of this “grit and character” hockey talk.

166. Patrick the suspiciosly passionate says:

I would LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Milan Lucic. Anyone who thinks Lucic is little more than a goonish thug is watching the Bruins objectively.

167. Patrick the suspiciosly passionate says:

*isn’t watching

You don’t do much woodworking, eh? ;)

As a baseball fan, primarily of the Pirates, I feel like I can finally offer a bit of value to the hockey conversation now that it has turned to mismanagement.

170. Nate83 says:

I don’t. I inherited some table saws and other woodworking tools. They are collecting dust but not saw dust. Did I get those mixed up or did I use numbers that are way off?

171. RELENTLESS_FORECHECK says:

On sandpaper, the higher the number, the finer the grit. ;)

172. RELENTLESS_FORECHECK says:

Very good point, Nate83, but I can’t fathom how ownership believes Bylsma can lead this team back to a Stanley Cup.

173. RELENTLESS_FORECHECK says:

I guess Bylsma playing “The Rains of Castamere” over the stereo didn’t go over so well… ;)

Kevin Towers, Penguins General Manager

175. Siri says:

Barry Trotz is available.

176. Nate83 says:

So I said they where too gritty as currently constructed. That wasn’t my intention.

After reading the interview I will now say that they need to add speed, grit and character. I won’t even try to use woodworking tools to convey that thought since I failed miserably on the first post.

177. Nate83 says:

Is that your attempt to get Jim’s head to explode?

What is the temperature right now?

179. Andrew says:

Pouliot would be awesome regardless of what direction the Penguins go in. I don’t know much about Chris Stewart. Niskanen is going to get more than $4.5 when the Flyer are giving MacDonald $5 million/year. I think Despres has become a bit overrated by some Penguins fans but he needs to play, he still young and an RFA, have to figure out if what you have there.

This is all way too soon.

Am I doing something wrong if everytime I use sandpaper, I don’t do anything to the wood surface, but my hands end up all bloody?

My dad told me once that if I ever lay sod, a good rule of thumb is “green side up.”

Hilarious! Now, the hockey fans can walk in our fan shoes for a day or two.

One of your better days. You are in the zone today!!

183. Nate83 says:

The interview disappeared into thin air. What happened?

184. hockeymonster says:

I provided an update on DP recently and you’ll be pleased to know i saw some improvement along the boards and by the net. But he got beat to the outside in open ice in a unacceptable manner. I don’t want to say you’ll be disappointed when you see him but it will be a while before you call him ‘awesome’.

The Pens made them take it down. :-)

186. Patrick the suspiciosly passionate says:

Just read DK’s transcript of his meeting with management. Very candid….I don’t know why I’m surprised. I shouldn’t be. I feel somewhat relieved to hear the thought process behind the retention of Bylsma. It makes sense when you hear someone like Burkle explain it from a pure capitalist perspective. It does make me feel bad for Bylsma. The next week(s) are going to be a long green mile.

Also: excellent work, DK. Not even MM can brag about getting face time with the Holy Trinity of Pittsburgh hockey.

Coonelly called and explained how to make it go away if they didn’t like how it turned out.

Haha!! :-) :-)

Hey Bob Nutting seemed to always go one-on-one with DK. He didn’t need Coonelly by his side, like Mario and Burkle needed Morehouse. :-)

190. bob apjok says:

“…announce the firings of Ray Shero.”

Wow. Bad day for Shero getting multiple firings :)

191. Andrew says:

Sorry, Benoit Pouliot of the Rangers, I thought that was who you had in the 3rd line. He is UFA this year, being paid $200,000 more than Tanner Glass.

192. hockeymonster says:

Oh yes…B. Pouliot and Mason Raymond were my 2 options for 3LW. I believe i’ve seen him take some borderline dumb penalties so would need to do some due diligence on him but he would be a great option for bottom 6.

You might want to go back to cake analogies.

194. Pucknutz says:

“Apologies, but the page you requested could not be found. Perhaps searching will help”

Too many hits, servers not gritty enough

195. Pucknutz says:

reply to nate 4:06

196. hockeymonster says:

DK took down the interview cuz pens are announcing that Mr. Shero is coming back to be President and Disco is getting bumped up to GM and VP of hockey operations. True story.

After reading the interview it’s pretty clear where “controlling the message” is coming from. Mario and Burkle were doing fine. Maybe they didn’t go high enough with stopping at Shero.

:-)

And then they’re going to fire him again to make the “firings” post true.

I like the last explanation the best.

201. Dan Novak says:

All right GM speculation….Burkle West Coast guy ….has more say so than we all think ! Rob Blake assistant GM L A Kings good buddy of Mario tough son of a gun too play against learning from Dean Lombardi one of the best under a style the Pens are looking to get to and…oh yea one more thing a Bowling Green graduate ! In fact he’s also 43 years old ! I wonder……nah !

Ha, I noticed that as well. Looks like someone was expecting firings, plural, and missed the edit.

Seriously, I would like to know why that interview thread disappeared. Maybe they can only have so many up at once, and it got bumped when the Bucs-Yanks game that’s not happening thread came up?

I’m stopping while I’m ahead. Have a good weekend, guys!

For awhile, the title of the Post referred to both Shero and Bylsma being fired.

206. Nate83 says:

I doubt that. I would just go to archives and it would have been the older blogs going first. I imagine politics where involved but that is obviously just speculation. Since they granted the interview I can’s see how it isn’t fair game to post it but maybe an editor has to look at the content first since it’s essentially a transcript instead of just DK’s thoughts.

207. This seems like the same thing that happened when Huntington took over the Pirates. They interviewed Jim Tracy, thanked him, canned him and moved on to sleepwalk through 2 years of John Russell in the formative years.

Hope that doesn’t play out the same with the Pens.

208. Dom says:

Do the pens want the new GM to replace DB for them?

209. Couldn’t tell from the transcript.

Guys like Ron Burkle don’t become billionaires by accepting no for an answer. If Mike Babcock wants to coach the Penguins & they want him, it’ll get done.

I saw a tweet from Collier where he said he was posting his interview as well. I wonder if he did.

212. Rock Ain't Dead says:

Hilarious.

They say they will give him the option. Sounds so odd. Either you want the guy to be the coach or you don’t. Why leave it up to some new guy?

I think he’ll be gone.

So, maybe the Bylsma “twisting in the wind” scenario is just about having a replacement before they fire him?

215. Rock Ain't Dead says:

I couldn’t help but think of the movie Office Space after today’s happenings…

66 & Burkle to Morehouse:

Yea, sooooo, we’re going to need you to handle this press conference…
    So if you could just take care of it, that would be great.

Aren’t the Red Wings owned by another billionaire ?

#tigersbullpen

217. Eric from Gburg says:

Very odd that it’s just gone now. DK had the blog entry posted on FB too.

Grocery magnate. Pizza magnate. Magnet magnate. The evil magnates own all the teams.

219. BillyBaduka says:

I’m thinking it may have been politics with Pens, not editors.

Something like:

Rep from Pens calls Trib:

“We granted you an exclusive interview. While the entire interview was considered on the record, it was never our intent that the entire transcript would be published. Whether it was an article or a blog entry, we don’t appreciate the entire interview being published. Please remove the entry, post haste.”

We have heard that the Pens like to control the message.

Of course this is nothing but a wild @ss guess.

220. BillyBaduka says:

+1 Skip

221. BillyBaduka says:

No way…

Gotta control/spin the message…

222. BillyBaduka says:

Ahem, never mind…

223. BillyBaduka says:

And the interview is back up.

224. Eric Bowser says:

A few observations

1) When you have three people speaking on behalf of the organization, you have NO ONE speaking for the franchise. I don’t care one iota that Mario Lemieux and Ron Burkle are not comfortable in the press conference setting, this situation demanded their presence in front of the masses and they crapped the bed. Great for Trib and PG to each get their own exclusives but there’s more to the media than that.

2) David Morehouse is a problem. Who goes that long into the press conference and fails to specifically mention that Dan Bylsma is still the head coach? He bungled it on a national hockey stage. This team misses Ken Sawyer much more than anyone realizes.

3) A year ago, there was talk about Lemieux selling his share of the team and moving back to Montreal. DO NOT be surprised when word comes out that Lemieux is leaving.

4) It is absolutely pathetic, cowardly of Lemieux knowing the history of this game to fire the GM and be that unhappy with the coach but put the coach’s job status in doubt but not fire him. Fire him now and let him go find another job. I cannot tell you how disgusted by this decision I am to keep Bylsma’s status dangling by a string. Who does that?

5) Pat Brisson as the next Penguins GM? As if the team hasn’t had enough problems scouting young talent, drafting, and developing it… you’d want to replace a proven hockey guy with an agent that has no experience in hockey operations than representing a player during contract negotiations? Yeah sure, that makes NO sense.

6) This discussion about Mike Babcock is stupid. Enough said.