Final: Pirates 3, Nationals 2

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (21-26) vs. Washington Nationals (24-24)

Time: 7:15 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, Radio: Fox (national), 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page and our Bucco Blog. Rob Biertempfel and Travis Sawchik are on the scene for the Trib. I’ll be back at the yard tomorrow.

Comments

1. Lad 9 says:

Get your scorecard lineups here! Let’s go Bucs!

Nationals

6. Pedro Alvarez (L) 3B
    7. Starling Marte (R) LF
    8. Clint Barmes (R) SS
    9. Gerrit Cole (R) P

Gametime Forecast: 70°F • Clear • 6% PoP

2. Lad 9 says:

Oops. Jandy disease “Get” your lineups. Scratch the biblical reference, although if anyone has ever heard the skit Biblical Baseball, that may be the funniest thing I have ever heard.

3. Carlos Danger says:

Looking for to this pitching matchup. And looking forward to not hearing Greg brown or Tim navarette or bob walk for a game.

4. Special to AW: Hey, please check my rather lengthy response to you in the previous thread. With the game thread up now, just hoped to make sure you wouldn’t miss it.

5. Also, hey, one thing I was thinking I’d like to do is copy all game-related tweets here into game threads. Unfortunately, there isn’t an automatic mechanism for doing so, but I could just copy and paste.

We used to have that nice little Twitter box over to the right, but that had to go because of the mobile-friendly format. This way, I hope, it’ll feel like I’m here — per a comment TC made in the last thread — because in reality I am, anyway.

6. Fixed it for you. Bold-faced team names, too, which I think you can do, as well.

Thanks so much for doing this, especially L-R!

7. Dave G says:

(Dejan is omnipresent.)

Thanks for the thoughtful response, DK. I appreciate that. Not ready to respond to the whole thing, but Drew leaving wasn’t based on that one day in Sochi. To you, maybe, it was. But there was more behind it.

That’s a fact. You may not be aware of it, but that’s a fact.

What you said about the timing was true. Stating that you know why someone left based on that timing is not.

9. Lad 9 says:

Thanks DK. My pleasure! And I have forgotten the sequence to bold and italicize or I would. And thanks for a great column yesterday, and for sucking up more abuse than my son’s 180,000 mile Accord. :)

10. Carlos Danger says:

I know nothing of the prior story regarding Drew, but I always found this blog to be the most friendly and interactive around. Almost everyone is friendly and, as much as can be done on a blog, honestly interested and caring that I have ever found. DK is passionate in his opinions as are the bloggers, but I would expect nothing less. Always been a DK fan and appreciate his opinion along with the passion of the other bloggers. I hope nothing changes. If people can’t handle criticism, especially on a blog, then there may be a larger issue.

11. All I can go by is what Drew wrote that day. I invited him, politely, to try our Pirates-only blog. Last I saw of him.

12. Much appreciated, Carlos. What’s always meant most to me is that we’ve maintained a civil atmosphere here without stifling anyone. I get ripped on my own blog more than anyone. That’s fine, so long as it doesn’t get personal. But I’m not tolerant of people ripping each other, because then the discourse goes right down the commode. I think it’s been a pretty good balance.

Saying nothing would have been better.

I know better.

+++++++++

15. Lad 9 says:

I would enjoy seeing your game related tweets on the blog DK. I find that between following three fantasy teams, the blog (sometimes even two threads in the spring and fall) and at least one game, Twitter loses. And since I hardly follow anyone there besides you, that would be really cool! Thank you.

Its been IMO much more civil the past couple of months.

And that is good to see.

Welcome, Lunatics! If you don’t see your current location below, please add a reply to this post:

Dejan’s Lunatic Nation

Pittsburgh – Sochi – Moscow – New York – Fort Myers – Port Charlotte – Bradenton – Sarasota – Clearwater – Tampa – Orlando – Charlotte – Pittsburgh

Afghanistan – skeetermc*
    Arizona – Tucson, Chandler, Phoenix, Sunnyslope, Davis-Monthan AFB*, Lake Havasu City
    Argentina — Buenos Aires
    Arkansas – Rogers
    Alaska – Anchorage
    Australia – Mackay, Gold Coast, Geelong, Sydney, Balmoral (Queensland)
    Brazil – Vitoria, São Paulo
    California – Bakersfield, San Francisco, UNION CITY, Los Angeles, Newport Beach, Hollywood, Huntington Beach, Yuba City, Solana Beach, Yorba Linda, Yuba City*, Edwards*, Long Beach, Modesto, Davis, Santa Monica, Solana Beach, Canyon Country, Burbank, West Hills, Encino, Clovis
    Canada – Toronto, Winnipeg, Moncton – New Brunswick, Ontario – Muskoka, Perth – home of the Ottowa RedBlacks, Perth – Ontario
    China – Beijing
    Crete – Vlites
    Colorado – Ft Collins, Estes Park*, Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs
    Connecticut – Cos Cob, Bridgeport, Wallingford, Norwalk, NEWTOWN
    Costa Rica
    Czech Republic
    Delaware – Newark
    Denmark – Greenland – Thule*
    District of Columbia
    England – London
    Florida – Palm Harbor, Orlando, Valrico, Gainesville, Daytona Beach, Oviedo, Tampa, Jacksonville, Sarasota, Palm Beach Gardens, Cape Coral, Coco Beach (Major Nelson and Mary Ann), Niceville (Red Neck Rivera) and a*, St Petersburg, Pembroke Pines, Ft Lauderdale, Hallandale Beach, W Melbourne, Melbourne, St Johns, Wesley Chapel, Fort Pierce, Lakeland, Neptune Beach
    France – Strasbourg,
    Georgia – Marietta, Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Acworth, Savanna, Hoschton, Grayson, Newnan, Macon
    Germany – Leverkusen/Cologne, Ramstein*
    Hawaii – Honolulu
    Idaho – Mountain Home, Coer d’Aline, Mountain Home AFB*
    Illinois – La Salle, Peru, Payson, Chicago, Palatine (3 inmates there), Lincoln Park, Grayslake, Algonquin, Chicago, Naperville
    Indiana – Indianapolis, Burns Harbor, South Bend, Bicknell, Ft Wayne, Westfield, Munster, Jasper
    Iowa – Bettendorf, Humboldt, Maquoketa, Urbandale
    Ireland – Dublin
    • Israel – Ginot Shomron
    Japan – Tokyo
    Kentucky – Louisville, Bowling Green, Lexington, Georgetown, Russellville
    Kuwait – Relyks76*
    Louisiana – Slidell, Shreveport*
    Maine – Bangor
    Maryland – Arnold, Odenton, Severn, Baltimore, Waldorf, Hagerstown, Chevy Chase, Hampstead, Elkridge, Frederick, Bowie, Sykesville, Columbia, Towson
    Massachusetts – Boston, Tyngsboro, East Gloucester*, 617 Strong*, Medford, Hamilton
    Mecca – Slienmann*
    Michigan – Kalamazoo, Eaton Rapids, Lansing, Ann Arbor, Mason, Battle Creek
    Minnesota – Yinzer, St Paul
    Mississippi – Biloxi, Ocean Springs
    Missouri – St Peters***
    Montana
    Nebraska – Omaha, Lincoln
    New Hampshire – Barrington
    New Jersey – Chesterfield, Princeton, Roxbury, Lebanon, Lincoln Park, Berkeley Heights, Somerville, Hammock, Barrington, Delran, Pennsville, Hammonton, Mullica Hills, JERSEY SHORE, Montclair, Monmouth Beach, Flemington, Oceanville, Mays Landing, Collingswood
    New Mexico – Mike, Albequeque, Blazer, Berkeley Heights
    New York – New York, Smithtown, Manhattan, Long Island, Nyack, Brooklyn, Buffalo, Rochester, Albany, Lewistown, Stony Point
    Nevada, Las Vegas, Henderson, Reno
    North Carolina – Asheville, Hickory, Charlotte, Raleigh, Wilmington, Chapel Hill, High Point, Winston Salem, Fayetteville
    Ohio – Cincinnati, Columbiana, Westerville, Green, Hilliard, Toledo, Louisville, Columbus, Perrysburg, Pickerington, Youngstown, Cleveland, Olmsted Township, Liberty Township, Warren, Oregon, Wintersville, Austintown, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base*, New Philadelphia, Powell, Canton, Salem, New Albany, Bloomingdale, Powell, Howland, Grafton, Northwood, Middletown, Dayton, Cambridge, Martins Ferry, Akron
    Oklahoma – Tulsa – OKLAHOMA CITY/MOORE ,,
    Oregon – Roseburg, Eugene
    Pennsylvania – Downtown, Hopewell, Indiana, North Wales, Franklin Park, Forest Hills, Lansdale, Philadelphia, Du Bois, Reading, Crafton, Arnold, Wexford, Mt Lebanon, Canonsburg, Lancaster, Huntington, York, Boiling Springs, Philly suburbs, Morningside, Harrisburg, Lawrenceville, Bradford Woods, Norristown, Hanover, Clearfield, Sewickley, Plum Boro, Slippery Rock, Wilkes-Barre, Sharpsville, Bessemer, Greensburg, Washington, Imperial, South Side, Duncansville, Newville, Sheppton, Grove City, Butler, Allentown, Ross Township, Blairsville, Flood City (Johnstown), Overbrook, Danny’s Hoagies, Baldwin, Economy, Sharpsville, North Huntington, Bellfonte, West Mifflin, Kennywood, Pleasant Hills, Beechview (Mad Turk, No 200), Macgunie, Mechanicsburg, Uptown, Cambria County, Mon Valley, Salisbury, Coraopolis, Emsworth, Cranberry Twp, Garrett, O’Hara Township, McCandless Township, 115 Federal Street, Bethel Park, Harrison City, Penn Hills, Kittanning, Dover, Upper St Clair, Rennerdale, Oakland, Scranton, Moon (RMU), State College, Erie, Penn Twp, Stowe, Elizabeth, Hermitage, Easton, Carlisle, Finleyville, Belle Vernon, Madison, Sellersville, Waynesburg, Warren, Beaver Falls, Chambersburg, Greencastle, East Freedom, Leechburg, Banksville City, Ellwood City, Hollidaysburg, Bethlehem, Mars, Verona, Philipsburg, Phoenixville, Hippos Pond, Oil City, Verona, Hookstown, Squirrel Hill, Natrona, Charleroi, FREEDOM, Denver, Midland (the home of good food and many bars), Selinsgrove, Dormont, Scott Township, Blawnox, Arnold, Ligonier, Wells Tannery, Swoyersville, St Mary’s, Titusville, Shippingsburg, Sharpsville, Brookville, Mountain Top, Mt Joy, Bloomsburg, Portage, Carnegie, Homer City, Allepo Township, Irwin, Claridge, Downington, Cheswick, Antis Township, Union City, Export
    The Philippines
    Rhode Island
    Russia
    Serbia – Subotica
    Singapore
    South Carolina – Duncan, Longs, Columbia, Bluffton, Greensville, Charleston, North Charleston, Sumter*
    South Korea – Seoul, Mike
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Tennessee – Smithville, Nashville
    Texas – Tyler, San Antonio, Belton, Houston, Katy, Plano, El Paso, Cedar Park, Pleasanton
    United Kingdom – Haslemere
    Utah – Salt Lake City, Provo
    Uzbekistan
    Vermont – North Bennington
    Virginia – JAL, Hampton, Rescue, Richmond, Front Royal, Woodbridge, Suffolk, Warrenton, Springfield*, Virginia Beach, Fairfax, Arlington, Yorktown, Henrico, Aldie, Manassas, Newport News, Clifton, Glen Allen, Roanoke, Vienna, Alexandria, Lynchburg
    Washington – Seattle, Nine Mile Falls, Spokane, Sammamish
    West Virginia – Martinsburg, Morgantown, Wheeling, Mt Olivet, Huntington, Parkersburg, Clarksburg*, Grafton
    Wisconsin – Madison, Oshkosh, Hortonville
    Wyoming – Caspar, Lander
    Unknown – killa_cam7*
    472 confirmed locations represented in the blog, and a couple of strange places
    Lunatic Nation Hall of Fame, people that have, in our opinion, made a difference, either thru talent or character or deeds.
    Nominations are always welcome
    Any Allegheny, Pirate, Crawford, Gray, Steeler or Penguin player in the League’s Hall of Fame, although if Jagr makes it some day, we gotta talk
    Stan “The Man”, from Donora
    Fred Rogers
    Mario Lemieux, ditto to the Great One, he stays as an owner
    Chuck Noll
    Eddie Johnston, aka EJ
    Badger Bob
    Chuck Tanner
    Dick Groat, the best darn multi-athelete and announcer from Wilkinsburg/Swissvale
    Steve Blass
    Danny Murtaugh*
    Rocky Bleier*
    John Challis – Courage + Belief = Life
    All Servicemen and women that have been in battle, ever
    Sgt Doug Vitale
    Gary Sinise and the Lt Dan Band
    Barney Dreyfuss
    George Benson
    Phil Coyne
    Tony Dorsett
    Vince Lascheid
    John Barbero
    Art McKennan
    Steve ‘Dirt’ DiNardo*
    K9***, Rocco
    Rick Sebak
    First Responders***
    28 countries
    46 states, plus the District of Columbia, missing 4 states, North Dakota, South Dakota, Alabama, and Kansas
    Three planets, at least confirmed, and the Space Station
    Then there was that Cold day in Hell place
    Honorable mention, England – London – Lisa
    “Terrorists will always lose in America, the sooner they figure that out, the better”- truer words have never been spoken
    Asterisks denote confirmed hero’s of any species, military, police officers or firemen/ladies
    5/24/2014 5:57 PM
    Let us remember the last sentence on this Memorial Day weekend.

18. And hey, Carlos, try gravatar.com and get rid of the gray!

19. Carlos Danger says:

Will do, thanks!

20. Stuart says:

From time to time an mental health issue or Two emerges here. Dejan treats everyone as if they were normal (whatever that means in modern concept) . It is amazing how tolerant bloggers are here for the most part. DK you can take credit for that.

One of the things that most of us like best about this blog is that it is nearly always available to us to interact.

To state it politely the “bucco blog” is only an occasional thing. Maybe that is why Drew may have been insulted, as the “alternative” to this blog is generally perceived as a much lesser thing. The other “reporters” also seem to have a good deal less energy than the boss.

Just sayin.

Stuart

21. Hey, Biz, this is appreciated, as always. Hope you don’t mind, but I went through and corrected a few name spellings.

22. Maz in Iowa says:

Add Muscatine Iowa…..yeah it is a real place.No one makes up a name like that

23. Carlos Danger says:

Agreed, it’s a delicate balance, but again I always found that this blog does a nice job of finding that happy medium. Only been following/ commenting for the past 6 months or so, so I can’t say anything about the prior terms. But been reading DK since the PG and always appreciated his opinions and columns. Don’t accuse me of drinking the DK kool aid. That is like a double whammy.

24. Baywatch says:

Up here, Lad! So great to meet you the other week!

25. Reading says:

Going to be relegated to Cardinals-Reds on TV (Thanks Fox!). Thus, I’ll have an old school radio broadcast only night.

Not at all, Dejan, I just copied and pasted it into where I keep the list

Thanks, as always

27. Baywatch says:

I like you because you use words like “commode” in public. But, please … don’t squeeze the Charmin! Hey, if we win tonight, would it be the first time this year we’ve won three in a row? Anybody? If I don’t get back, I’ll go to the Pirates site and simply read the schedule results!

Welcome Maz, that makes 473

29. Lad 9 says:

Welcome Maz! My all time favorite athlete and boyhood hero.

30. Brandie says:

Birmingham Braves vs The Jerusalem Giants…..Hilarious.

31. Baywatch says:

I remember Maz and Gene Alley that day I was telling you I saw my first Bucs game in Atlanta, LAD, in 1965. And Jose Pagan on third!

32. Maz in Iowa says:

Bizrow I was around when Dejan started the blog on “the paper that shall remain nameless”.I recall you and Baywatch/Thundercrack and another poster…..something about “Nutting”and a few others

33. Maz in Iowa says:

Baywatch,you still in the pizza business?

34. Maz in Iowa says:

Is there a Polanco day-to -day countdown?

35. Baywatch says:

Hey, Maz! That was a lot of fun that summer, the summer we watched and waited on the Bay trade. HENCE, Baywatch! True story! The something about “Nutting,” I figure you’re referring to Nutting Hostage, who posted there. DK informed us recently that the guy who was Nutting Hostage passed away, just a few weeks ago actually. Good to see you. Now GET UNGREY! :-)

36. Baywatch says:

Hey, Maz! I sure am! Mrs. Bay always texts me update as I deliver, and when applicable the “Raise The Jolly Roger,” complete with fireworks icons! Home tonight to watch the game, though.

I thought the moniker sounded familiar ;-)

One thing that always bothers me when you don’t see the old familiar names, is I’m worried as to why they no longer post.

For example, Mountain Ogre was always a favorite of mine.

38. Maz in Iowa says:

All aboard the Cole train!!

Mr Groat2Maz2Strangeglove posts it most days

+++++

41. Carlos Danger says:

So can someone tell me if I have an avatar? Or am I too old for modern technology?

42. Carlos Danger says:

My phone doesn’t show avatars. So I don’t sound insane. Hopefully.

43. Lad 9 says:

They were one helluva DP combo Bay.

44. Lad 9 says:

Still no avatar Carlos. It can take a little while the first time…..at least for the avatar that is. :)

45. Brandie says:

Thanks to each and every person for making this blog a welcoming place.

LET’S GO BUCCOS!!!!!!!

46. Brandie says:

The Cole Mass Transit System!!!!

47. Baywatch says:

Heh-Heh!

48. Carlos Danger says:

It’s sad. I’m only 36 but I feel about 80 when people tell me new things regarding technology. Thanks for the update though!

49. Stuart says:

You are (always) welcome!

Stuart

You spelled “two weeks” wrong Biz. :-)

51. Baywatch says:

I think we were all blown away when we’d get together, especially early on, and DK would come meet us! DK, do you remember that first Sunday morning gathering? Was that at Primanti’s, Market Square? I wasn’t there but someone posted a photo, and when I was there the other week I thought I recognized the setting.

52. Maz in Iowa says:

Is it “grey” or is it “gray”? :)

53. Lad 9 says:

BRANDDDDDIEEEEEEEE! You are the most welcoming of all on here. Thank you.

54. Bay, I thought you went to work for the airlines. I wouldn’t have teased you about tickets if I’d known you still owned Pizza Hut.

55. Vette60 says:

Evening all.

Looking forward the the matchup tonight. Game is on Fox here in Richmond. Cool.

Enjoy the long weekend and Let’s go Bucs!

Randy in RVA.

56. Baywatch says:

I did, Luck, but it wasn’t a good fit. Left after 2 months.

57. Stuart says:

Maz depends if the man is British or American. Nice to “see” you from another vet of the first blog. Graviton should tell you the pic has to be associated with the email addressvwithbwhich you registered on this blog.

“Stoefingers” Stuart

58. Gotcha. Last time I’ll mention free flying then. Now about that pizza………….

;)

59. Stuart says:

Jandy did not type this gravatarbetc.
    Stu

60. Stuart says:

No “b”
    Stu

61. Well played, Congressman.

62. I just try to make this place the best it can be. Only thing I can do. We gain people, we lose people, that’s part of the process. Fortunately, our gains are significantly higher, so the place just keeps getting more and more read, which is kind of the goal. :)

Glad you like it and are part of it, Stu.

63. scapper says:

If you have the power to edit posts, go ahead and remove that silly comment about “if Jagr make the HOF some day.” Renders the whole list silly.

64. Either way, you’re still that! Get with it!

65. Speaking of Twitter:

Ben Badler ‏@BenBadler · 4h
    Watch Gregory Polanco golf this home run yesterday. A real big leaguer would have hit it even farther, I guess:

66. Carlos Danger says:

Any word on tabata? Not that he is a godsend, just curious?

67. The Gunner says:

Ah yes, Jose Pagan! What a clutch player he was!!!

68. Maz in Iowa says:

Is Barmes getting more playing time a…wake up call for Jordy Joe?

69. radio wave says:

Conflicted here. Sucfering through my sox losers of 8 straight blowing a 5-0 lead, now tied at 5 with rays in ninth and Bucs are starting. Cold last night at PNC.

70. cherokee23 says:

Just read thru the posts and wanted to add a “kumbaya”! LOL! So much appreciation going round!

71. War_Horse says:

After watching Morton struggle to hit the corners last night and, at the same time, get some dreadful calls from the ump, it is a pleasure to see Cole throw to put the ball in play tonight. He looks sharp from here across the pond.

72. radio wave says:

Wonderful you are staying uplate to join in.

73. War_Horse says:

I don’t have a choice. Honestly. My trip to Pittsburgh to see the weekend series with the Cardinals a couple of weeks ago renewed my loyalty (which dates back to the 1940s). And who could miss the pitching match-up tonight? Wish I was there at PNC with the rest of you.

74. Maz in Iowa says:

Extrapolating the location of pitches from Chuck last night to Cole is like night and day…so far

75. Brandie says:

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDD NIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEE!!!!

76. cmat0829 says:

Looks like a gorgeous night for baseball at PNC… packed crowd, just beautiful aerial shots of the skyline and the best ballyard in the world…. Runs will be a premium tonight, so hope the Bucs play good D and get an opportunity to get 1 or 2 on Strasburg.

77. Brandie says:

Disco Stu! Here’s hoping El Toto is starting to find his stroke. :)

78. Reading says:

Yes. The $25M ball will drop and a giant 0 will light up when Super 2 Free Day is upon us. (just kidding people)!

79. cmat0829 says:

Strasburg bunts like a Pirate.

80. Maz in Iowa says:

Aarrgghhh

81. Patrick(ri) says:

Just joined the blog, tonight. Adds a little spice to see the boss urge a guy named Carlos Danger to get an avatar!

82. The Gunner says:

Will Pedro go deep vs. Strasburg tonight?

83. Brandie says:

Meant El Toro!

84. cmat0829 says:

Just sayin’… Milwaukee is 9-14 since April 29, when they were a season-high 13 games over .500. If the Bucs can pull this one out tonight, they will sit 6 games back.

85. The Gunner says:

Let’s hope the Bucs strap it on the Expos tonight!

86. cmat0829 says:

Someone needs too…. my longball odds:

McCutchen 3-1
    Martin 6-1
    Pedro 10-1
    Walker 15-1
    JayHey 16-1
    Cole 50-1
    Barmes 100-1

87. Maz in Iowa says:

Bucs not looking very patient

88. Andrew says:

I noticed that too, at this rate Strasburg will go the distance, hopefully they improve the second turn through the order.

89. Brandie says:

Tell ‘em Maz….Buccos need to practice patience.

90. scapper says:

Anyone just see that awful commercial with the soldier coming home? “It’s all for you.” Um…no…it’s all for Budweiser. Just disgusting.

91. scapper says:

E-8. Never be scored that way, but should be.

92. The Gunner says:

So, will the Bucs score this inning?

93. War_Horse says:

Looking at the video replays, Cutch would usually have held on to that. There are other times when he appears to be overconfident with his one-handed catches. Marte seems to be copying him.

94. The Gunner says:

Looks like Cole twisted his ankle. I hope I’m wrong.

95. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Hi DK, love you.

Though I’m a bit of a mouth at times……can’t run me off

96. Andrew says:

How about get a hit?

97. cmat0829 says:

Uh-oh…Cole appears to have injured his ankle in the last pitch of the inning..seemed to land awkwardly after the follow-through….. hopefully it isn’t serious but I’m thinking they may have to take him out of the game…. bummer.

98. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

This match up is awesome. #1 vs #1.

This 1-0 might be it though.

99. Andrew says:

Or do both at the same time.

100. cherokee23 says:

Agree. That’s become a pretty routine play these days. He dropped the ball other nite, also

101. cmat0829 says:

Neil pays 15-1…. if you have the ticket, bring it to the window.

Broken down PRNW ties it.

103. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Whoa whoa whoa

Let’s hope not, course I can’t watch right now

104. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I mean 1-1

105. Just for fun, of course: Name the last Pittsburgh-born player to appear in baseball’s All-Star Game.

106. cmat0829 says:

Ike sure knows the strike zone…maybe he can be player/hitting coach for Marte and Pedro?

107. Patrick(ri) says:

Walker’s LH swing is a thing of beauty. I hope he can avoid back trouble and finish a season to remember.

108. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Part of Budweisers profits go to different veteran organizations.

They’ve always supported the troops, much better than their own country does.

But I won’t get political

109. cmat0829 says:

now HERES a spot for Pedro to go yard…swing hard, my friend, swing hard.

110. The Gunner says:

Looks like they are sending Cole back out in the 5th

111. Maz in Iowa says:

Nice.Beermakers lose

112. radio wave says:

How many dingers for NW this year? Last year?

113. Andrew says:

16 last year, 9 this year. That 2 spot is working for him.

Some folks don’t like JJ, when he makes it, we can talk

115. The Gunner says:

Pedro strikes out

+++++++++

117. cherokee23 says:

I’d settle for a hit in these situations a little more often. I think in long run would have more rbi’s

118. cmat0829 says:

Buddy Bell?

119. cmat0829 says:

cole looks fine. was his right ankle (not landing ankle)

120. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Junior

Wow, good question

Casey, the Mayor?

122. cmat0829 says:

Time for my daily (move Neil to clean up spot PLEASE) post.

123. cmat0829 says:

9-14 since April 29. Lovin’ it. Brewers theme song…. “Free Fallin’” by Tom Petty.

Message to Federal Street. Reup PRNW and this spending stuff might settle down a bit

125. Patrick(ri) says:

Bob purkey?

126. cmat0829 says:

yes, and there is no doubt Barmes is the better defensive SS…with the D a mess the past few weeks, and Mercer not hitting, not that much reason to play Jordy and not give Barmes a few games.

127. The Gunner says:

I like the idea of Walker batting cleanup.

Cole appears to be laboring.

128. Maz in Iowa says:

About 1 more inning for Cole.Already at 90 pitches

Dejan, have you had much success raising the understanding of what recently happened in South East Europe? Three months of rain in three days. A friend of mine, on the internet, said they do not have the organizations in government and corporations to deal with things in the aftermath. Roads, bridges, power lines, sewer lines, water lines all kaput.

Crap 2-1 Nats

130. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

GREAT question….I usually know this stuff, but have to admit, I have no idea.

Is Donora close to Pittsburgh?

131. cmat0829 says:

Isn’t there a LIGHT YEAR’s difference watching Russell Martin catch a game and either Tony or Stewart? So very nice to have our catcher back behind the dish and in the 5 spot in the lineup.

132. cherokee23 says:

Why aren’t they using the pitch location grid thingy tonite

133. The Gunner says:

This might be his last inning. I bet his ankle is bothering him.

134. cmat0829 says:

Gutsy finish to the 5th by Cole… BIG to get Dobbs to ground out and leave ‘em loaded for the Nats… Bucs down by just 1, time to put some atbats together vs. Strasburgh…. I call a bunt for Marte to lead off.

135. The Gunner says:

Trading Bob Purkey was one of the worst trades Joe L. Brown ever made

136. tdb1977 says:

And the that beat paid off tonight!

137. cmat0829 says:

this situation screams hit and run.

138. The Gunner says:

Now Barmes needs to go deep, Cmat. If not St. Barmes, maybe Cole could go deep.

139. cmat0829 says:

In other news, how lopsided does the Prince Fielder – Ian Kinsler trade look now in favor of Detroit? Dombrowski really got one over on Jon Daniels there…. dumped a huge salary and an unsustainable body for a gritty 2bman and all kinds of future salary flexibility…..

Rangers look like they may be sellers…does anyone want the Bucs to try to get Elvis Andrus? He’s expensive but might be a good SS/leadoff combo we seem to need.

140. cmat0829 says:

either ticket would pay off big… :)

Get him outta there

Cole is batting

143. cmat0829 says:

YUCK , Marte forgets the count in yet another in a long string of bone-headed plays for our young star(ling). He’s out anyway, but no matter what the situation he needs to run hard to the base, slide in and let the call go where it may. EVEN if it were 3-2, that’s what he should have done. No excuses for this… I’m running out of patience with this crap…. he may need a game or two on the bench to think it over… if only that didn’t mean Snider or Tabata has to play ….

144. Stuart says:

It’s on Fox network. They aren’t known for technological innovation!

Stuart

145. Reading says:

Matt Holliday.

146. Maz in Iowa says:

Hate to say it,but Polanco might be the lead off hitter.JMO

147. cmat0829 says:

no doubt he will be… .but I’d really prefer our lineup if we had someone else bat leadoff… at this point, SS is the only spot where we could source our leadoff hitter if it isnt Marte or Polanco….

148. The Gunner says:

Maybe Marte needs sent to Indy for a couple weeks. He runs the bases like Sanguillen used to.

149. Patrick(ri) says:

Was Gene Freese &/or Jerry (?) the return on that one?

I saw the pictures, wish I still had them

151. Patrick(ri) says:

Or Stargell in this latest effort.

Willie tried to call time out ;-)

153. The Gunner says:

The Bucs received a left handed pitcher named Don Gross, who never amounted to anything.

The FOX announcers, I think said it was 3-2 when Marte had his guffa.

Not that that is an excuse for anyone playing

Great job by Cole, now get him outta there

156. Andrew says:

Marte has been the Pirates 2nd most valuable player.

157. Andrew says:

Not the best from Cole, but he limited the damage, offense has to do something.

158. War_Horse says:

I suspect FOX and MLB have a deal NOT to show the pitch tracker box. It’s too embarrssing to the umps. I look forward to the day when b alls and strikes are confirmed or overturned by computer images. Some of these umps stink.

Marte is a big part of the future of the PBC.

Do not give up on that kid

160. Reading says:

Everytime I hear “That ball is hammered” the inevitable “He makes the catch at the wall” follows. Dept. of Redundancy Dept.

Cutch is amazing. If GP is 80% of Cutch, we’re going to be pretty happy.

162. Chuck H says:

The Pirates as a team on occasion cannot hit a certain pitcher, and the deeper into the game, the worse they get. Looks like the end of their winning streak. Pedro is worse than useless.

I’m sure Tom Glavine and Maddux are pleased there is no pitcher trax. And look at the base appeals that have been overturned.

Lets hope, War_Horse, it kicks the Umps up a bit. That being said, they have done pretty good jobs, just got too big heads, well some of them

164. Andrew says:

Strasburg is a fairly good pitcher, and all starters get worse each turn through the order, the better ones just don’t get much worse.

This game is here for the W.

Go get it Bucs

166. The Gunner says:

Outside of the time when Willie tried to call a timeout, he was a pretty good baserunner back in the day.

This Marte must have rocks in his head.

167. The Gunner says:

I agree 100% with you on this, Chuckles

It IS 2-1. What a disaster!

169. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Jordy doesn’t make that play.

Great pick on the other end too

Nice play by Barmes and Davis to end the 7th.

171. The Gunner says:

Maybe Pedro will jack one out this time

172. War_Horse says:

I agree, Biz. It’s a tough profession. I suspect that last year’s Pirates got a lot more close calls for the simple reason that they were a record-setting team of losers. This year, they’re fair game.

Hey. maz! Saw you had posted yesterday. How’s tricks? Haven’t seen you for a long time.

174. radio wave says:

Now I can put my full attention on the Bucs after 5 hours of R Sox misery.

175. Cobra39 says:

Or maybe Pedro will strike out. The guy strands a lot of runners.

176. DJ says:

Only 5 hours?

Did they call it because of rain?

177. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Pedro sucks…..really bad.

No pitch recognition and won’t touch the ball if it’s not in his swing path.

178. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

15 innings, in TB under the dome

179. The Gunner says:

Ha ha Cobra, you are right on this one. Now it is up to Tabata.

Everybody’s a critic, Biz. Let them maintain the list. And they can get the same pay you are. ;-)

181. The Gunner says:

Yep, he must be a real head case. Tabata needs to come thru now.

182. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Travis Snider: just as bad as Pedro, without the power

183. Dejan Kovacevic says:

That’s one terrific at-bat for Jose Tabata.

184. The Gunner says:

Now the legend of Jay Hey continues to produce.

185. radio wave says:

And he did, unreal.

Drew didn’t leave because he was “insulted. “. That’s a myth.

You don’t have to agree with him, but how about a little respect? Did he strike you as being overly sensitive?

187. Patrick(ri) says:

Tabata & Harrison, two of the most maligned players.

188. Andrew says:

Great sequence of baseball there by the Pirates, don’t understand the IBB, Williams does some weird stuff, but final out at 3rd, uggh.

189. Lad 9 says:

Jay Hay! But what a dumb move to bring Snider to third there. Could have cost us a run if Marte jogged home.

190. Patrick(ri) says:

Love it!

191. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Agree. Of course I thought there were 2 outs

192. cherokee23 says:

Between snider going to 3rd & marte slowing up before speeding up to cross plate, they almost messed up another JHay moment

193. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Just setting up the force out, playing the odds

194. Reading says:

All he does is catch Touchdown passes.

195. radio wave says:

You’re hot when those two come through.

196. The Gunner says:

As one of Tabata’s biggest critics in the past, he certainly has improved

197. Dejan Kovacevic says:

Ditto J-Hay. Ball well down in zone, felt he could barrel up, went after it. It’s about YOUR pitch. Good show.

198. War_Horse says:

Maybe this works well, but why not pitch Mark the Shark here?

199. Dejan Kovacevic says:

Hey, I’m actually free to watch the eighth inning tonight. Cool.

200. cherokee23 says:

Nice nod to DK with that phrase!

On the year or tonight?

202. tdb1977 says:

Nice play by Davis at first! This team is starting to play some good ball as of lately. Let’s hope there are no games against the Brewers in the near future.

203. Maz in Iowa says:

Nice to see yinz.See a lotta vets are still around

204. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Remember the other night when folks were talking about how bad Ike Davis was with the glove?

Great game defensively by him tonight

Why was Snider going to third. He needs to make sure the throw is going home first. And it was right in front of him

He stinks

I smell a sweep, but gotta get this one

It is still May, is it not?

207. cherokee23 says:

LOL. Noticed you’ve been distracted several times in 8th lately

208. War_Horse says:

Neve rmind. Second-guessing the brain trust in late innings is not smart.

I agree. Davis has a lot better glove than I realized when they got him

+++++

211. Patrick(ri) says:

+++

212. Maz in Iowa says:

Barrel up……Hurdle original

Leyva looked pretty ticked off I thought.

214. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Actually, it wasn’t in front of him, it was up the middle, usually assume the throw is going home.

Trying to advance, had the throw gone home, would’ve been 3rd and 2nd

215. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

He’s above average. Not gold glove, but better than most.

I really like this platoon at 1b right now

216. Patrick(ri) says:

Be nice to get some insurance. No J Hay out there to save us.

Jim Tracy had a goodie regarding Freddy Sanchez once.

“He has an uncanny ability to get the barrel of his bat on the same plane as the ball.”

218. Brandie says:

Agreed. J-Hay is proving how much he wants it!

219. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

++++

But I’m guessing he’s closing tonight

220. Dejan Kovacevic says:

Big ups to Fox for showing our city in 2014 rather than 1976. NFL broadcasters take note: Not one steel mill left in Pittsburgh.

Its a fun list, you know? That JJ statement came from when he stiffed us, or supposedly did so.

Anyone else on the list can be quoted as “I’m dying here”?

We’re ok
    , thanks though :-)

What happened to the anti- negative posts, Ryan?

;-)

223. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Weird to hear the footballusic though…

The other night he was bad with the glove. Funny how that works,

225. Lad 9 says:

I thought the same thing. I was looking for the cartoon robots….

MAZ! ! !

227. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

And now for your viewing pleasure: Pedro vs a LHP

228. The Gunner says:

It’s up to Pedro!!

Our town has come a long way.

The best is yet to come.

I like Pedro, we will miss him when he’s gone

Shift worked that time,

232. The Gunner says:

DK…….there are steel mills in Braddock, West Mifflin & Clairton

And Biz, won’t it be fine?

234. War_Horse says:

To all of you who live in and around Pittsburgh, it was a delight to visit and interact with you for a few days earlier this month. Nice folks yinz, a pleasure to meet.

235. Chuck H says:

What a wonderful day for Pedro-0 for 4, hit into dp and two whiffouts!!!

236. Patrick(ri) says:

Wow! That 2nd pitch from Melancon was quite a bender.

237. cherokee23 says:

Not making an excuse for snider, I think he made a dumb play, but CF made a pretty smart play throwing so quick to 3rd

Yeah, I umped many little league games, you could not help but get caught into the game

I fubarred many times,

Bucket list? I would like a do over list ;-)

What about a W?

240. The Gunner says:

We had ‘em all the way!!!

241. tdb1977 says:

Geez. Debbie Downer alert!

242. tdb1977 says:

Raise the Jolly Roger! Going for the 4 game sweep tomorrow against the Nats! Nice victory tonight gentlemen, nice victory.

Really sick play by Walker. This one has a last year feel.

244. Lad 9 says:

Raise it! Nice performance by your PBC. Let’s bring out the brooms tomorrow.

245. Wild Bill says:

Nice to get home for the lovely ninth inning!

246. radio wave says:

Fun ending, fun blog. Off to the ballyard Sunday. Good morning over the pond.

Shark tank.

248. Baywatch says:

Woo-Hoo!! Up here, EVERYBODY!!

249. Andrew says:

Fun game, great win.

250. Baywatch says:

I agree, 21! Last year is NICE! At LEAST until we get all the LUMBER assembled!

251. Lad 9 says:

Hey there Bay. In response to your earlier post, I enjoyed meeting you too! You are a class act.

+++++

Good to see you, man.

254. War_Horse says:

I may sleep late after the pleasure of watching all 9 innings tonight. Tnx.

Please keep in touch, thank you for visiting, please continue to post and be part of out burgh and our lives

It is still May

257. chethejet1 says:

Nats missing to many big guns. Nice win. Pedro just can’t have two at bats that are productive. Dropping him to sixth has to be the place he can hit with that shift. This is the year he either matures into a big timer or not.

258. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

++++

259. War_Horse says:

May I humbly suggest that the possible reasons for the recent resurgence of the team’s good play might be:
    –the new batting order that highlights Ike Davis’s good hitting and puts Pedro back where he belongs
    –the return of Martin behind the plate and his contributions off the field
    –Grilli’s return and inspiration in the bullpen
    –Harrison’s exceptionally good play in the outfield
    It’s a team effort, as we all know, but this team is playing now like the one we admired last year.

260. TJA says:

My thoughts exactly…great win!

261. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Snow???

262. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

All of the above possibly, but to be honest, outside of Wandy the other night, look at what the SP has done.

That could be attributed to RMs return.

Yeah, we got the Nats while they are hurting

Need the sweep

264. Gerrit Cole’s stubborness almost cost the Bucs in the 5th and Martel’s stupid base running almost did the same in the 6th, but then, JHey came through in the 8th and they beat the banged up Nationals once again by the skin of their teeth, and so, the Pirates win 4 of their last 5 and also for once, Melancon got them 3 up, 3 down for the save. And that, thankfully, is it for tonight!

265. War_Horse says:

Thanks, Biz. The feeling is mutual. Someday I’ll post the story of why I’ve been a Pirate’s fan since 1947 without ever living in Pittsburgh.

266. Stuart says:

+ many! Pedro should never bat cleanup again. Ike is looking better all the time.

Still feel uneasy about starting pitching. Good streak going.

Stuart

267. War_Horse says:

+++++++++ Smart

268. cmat0829 says:

not giving up on him just saying he needs to amp up his baseball IQ about 200 points. and quick.

Also, I think, for the most part, some good players, underachieving.

Bit I also must admit, I agree with the thoughts that an offseason where NH twiddled this thumbs

Unacceptable

Good night, good tidings

Bucs win, I will sleep well tonight.

More than that, I look forward for the chatter here tomorrow

270. cmat0829 says:

RAISE IT… JAYHEY making the most out of playing everyday, have to LOVE that kid and his approach and energy and joy playing the game…

And what a difference having Martin and Barmes in the game, elevates the defense by about 40% or more.

Big crowd, yet another magical 7th inning for this team…used to be a time if we trailed after 6 it was ballgame over…now I just wait til the 7th and just feel like we can take the lead …not sure what the stats say but we must have a bushel of runs in the 7th.

Another one-run victory…another home victory… this is the roll we’ve been waiting for I hope…. lets finish off the sweep because a 10-game coast-to-coast road trip is next on the agenda…. to truly get back in it, they MUST figure out away to be more competitive on the road…..

271. jay says:

Did not see all the game…what stubborness

272. Gerrit Cole twisted his ankle during the 4th inning and insisted on continuing to pitch despite that through the 6th inning and the Nationals got to him for their second run in the 5th inning although Paul Martin and pitching coach Ray Seerage kept trying to settle him down.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle