Final: Mets 4, Pirates 2

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (23-27) vs. New York Mets (22-28)

Time: 7:10 p.m.

Site: Citi Field, New York

TV, Radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page and our Bucco Blog. Travis Sawchik is on the scene for the Trib.

Comments

1. Lad 9 says:

Today’s lineups. Lets go Bucs!

Pirates

5. Bobby Abreu (L) RF
    6. Lucas Duda (L) 1B
    7. Anthony Recker (R) C
    8. Ruben Tejada (R) SS
    9. Jon Niese (L) P

Gametime Forecast: 76°F • Light Rain • 53% PoP

Thanks Lad, you are like clockwork ;-)

Maybe 8/9 righty hitters will do the trick tonight. I feel like if they can win this game, get back to just 3 under .500, and have a chance at a sweep tomorrow, they will be poised for a good roadtrip. I’d be thrilled with 2/3 vs. NYM, 2/3 vs. SD, and 2/4 vs. LAD.

That would make them 28-31 heading back to Pittsburgh.

4. Brandie says:

Thank you for the line ups. Makes me smile to see Russell Martin playing.

5. Brandie says:

I was thinking the same thing this morning. Let’s deftness tone for the rest of the season as well as have a good springboard for Polanco’s arrival.

6. Nate83 says:

I know it’s way to early to be looking at standings but I found it surprising that the Pirates only find themselves 3.5 games out of the second WC spot. A couple of teams like the Nationals, Cards and Dodgers are struggling out of the gate. Others like the Brewers and Giants are off to surprising starts but may come back to the pack. The season is definatley not lost. A good road trip of 5-5 or 6-4 will definately help keep pace going into a relatively easy June schedule.

7. The Gunner says:

Nate

If the Bucs had gotten some production out of Alvarez, they might have won a few more games and been at .500 (or slightly better).

8. Nate83 says:

Edinson has pitched well with Martin catching for him. It’s nice to have him back. Hopefully it helps Edinson continue where he left off on the last start.

9. Chuck H says:

Now that the Pirate’s offense has somewhat improved, not that it couldn’t still be a bit better-reference to the number
    of runners left on base in the early innings of yesterday’s game with the Mets, they should go with the best possible lineups every day,ie Gaby Sanchez should be at first against lefties and Josh Harrison should play 3rd base against lefties. Also, Walker should bat lefty all the time, since that is his best shot at power. Sometimes Alverez can’t hit no
    matter who is pitching. He strikes out way too often and when he’s not striking out, he’s hitting into DPs with an average bordering on Mendosa. GO, BUCS!!!

10. Lad 9 says:

You are very welcome. No problem.

Even against a lefty, it has to be a message to Pedro to sit him in his hometown.

11. Nate83 says:

I personally think that is down the list a bit on reasons they are below .500. Just getting league average in save percentage would easily get them above .500. Bullpen converting saves like it did last year would have their record flipped if not even better. I also think defense has cost them a few games as well but some of those could overlap with the blown saves.

Hey, Brandie! :-)

Nate:

Don’t you think blown saves are only in the 9th inning? How many have they really blown when you throw out early innings? But, I guess those are still blown leads.

Still, though, I think the bullpen issues are pretty far down the list compared to the fact that they got maybe one decent start from Rodriguez, a couple from Wandy, and about 4 from Volquez.

I have to agree with Gunner that Pedro leaving so many runners on has definitely hurt them. And, his defense has been horrible as well. I expect him to get it going soon, but up until now I think he’s been a big disappointment. We need him mashing real soon.

14. Andrew says:

2nd best offense in the NL in the month of May.

I’m out on that perverbial limb. Tabby might be getting in one of his hot streaks. He’s my pick to click tonight.

Bucs win 4-2.

16. Nate83 says:

They have blown five 9th innning saves. I think 10 leads. To compare they had only 15 such blown save last year. They are on pace to more then double that. I think at this point last year they may have just had one 9th inning save. That’s 4 extra losses. That alone would change the record to 27-23. I agree starting pitching has been an issue as well.

17. Nate83 says:

Isn’t that batting average and not runs? I thought they had still been down in the middle for runs. Maybe 6th or 7th but I could be wrong.

Well, to be fair, last year was not typical from a bullpen. That 1st half was historic. You didn’t really expect them to hold just about every lead again, going 3 innings per night, did you?

I didn’t expect that again. This year, Melancon has blown a couple, but actually has pitched well. Watson has been very good. Wilson has just been ok, probably. Morris has been awful. Grilli has been spotty, but also injured. Hughes seems to be pitching well now. Vin was doing ok, but got jettisoned again. Gomez seems to be getting it together after a rough start. I think they are actually pitching closer to their true ability this year. This team has a habit of being in a close game every single night, and that leads to blown leads and comeback wins. They have a bunch of both.

I still say the starting pitching has been a bigger problem.

I agree. Lots of problems this year, but nothing a really good month of June can’t set aside to a large degree. I don’t know how many games they play from now until July 1, but I’m guessing about 30. How about 19-11? That would get us to 42-38. Might be a bit optimistic, but possible.

Sorry, I meant a couple from Liriano.

Good question. So, I looked it up. Bucs offensive ranks in the NL in May:

Runs – #4 (99 in 24 games)
    HR: 10th (18) Ouch!!
    Avg: #2 (.282)
    OBP: #1 (.354) Thanks, Cutch and Ike!
    Slugging: #4 (.417)
    OPS: #2 (.771)
    BB: #4 (77)

22. Andrew says:

I was going by wOBA or wRC+. By OPS they are 3rd, and by raw runs they are 5th by I prefer the context independent stats.

23. Brandie says:

Hey Jimster!

24. Brandie says:

Deftness = Set the

25. Andrew says:

I was also using the non-pitcher stats.

26. Baywatch says:

My Favorite Martin! Doodle-Woo-Doo-Doo, Doo-Doodle-Woo Doo-Da-Doo-Doo!

27. Baywatch says:

They keep that up another month, I’m gonna give them a Junior Lumber Company Rating!

28. Maz in Iowa says:

No Pedro.Maybe they should sit him a couple days/week.JMO but I always thought he and Ground Chuck were a couple of head cases.Like I say JMO.

29. Sweet Jimmie,

They counted “blown saves” the same way last season . . . . . and the Pirate bullpen did NOT “blow” them last year.

30. Chuck H says:

The outcome of the game is determined by runs, not hits.

31. Chuckie Baby!

As a left handed hitter Neil Walker is batting .264 with a .797 OPS.
    As a right handed hitter Neil Walker is batting .313 with a .827 OPS.

You are SO-O-O-O last year!!!

32. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Exactly Nate.

Offense can struggle with a few producing, but if your pitching stinks, don’t care who’s hot in the lineup

Hey, Groat. It’s a little more complicated than that, my friend. How many were they ahead in the 9th last year compared to this year during those blown saves? I don’t know, either, but it certainly would be a relevant factor, don’t you think?

34. Looks like we could possibly face Vic Black in this series.

36. Maz in Iowa says:

Pedro at 11 errors already.Possibly at a record pace as it just a skosche(?) over 1/4 of the way thru the season

37. Maz in Iowa says:

As a team the Bucs aren’t bad at OBP.It’s the W/RISP they are getting hurt.Anyone know who the better/worst with W/RISP are on the Bucs??

38. Chuck H says:

I’m talking about power!!!

39. Chuck H says:

My guess is Pedro-worst and Walker-best

40. Then you better quit talking about Josh Harrison replacing Pedro at 3rd base against lefties.

Pedro makes more mistakes and hits ‘em out, even against lefties, than JHay ever will.

JHay’s Expiration Date cometh sooneth!

41. tdb1977 says:

I guess its time for Marte to really take some pine and sit for a few days. Should have bailed out on that fly ball. Really hope it doesn’t result in a run here.

42. Wilver Dornel,

I consider rug cuttin’ time the 7th-8th-9th innings. Those innings belong to the bullpen. The Specialists. Infrequently to the starters.

If Bucs have the lead in rug cuttin’ time and they give it up, whether Morris or Watson or Hughes or Melanson or Grilli, I consider it a “Blown Win”——Bucs had the lead near the end of the game and gave it up!

Ergo, I’m fine with “Blown Save!” It measures that the Starters did their job and left with the lead. However, the Bullpen Specialists gave up the win/lead.

Brain cramps occurring at a Ronny Cedeno-like rate.

44. Nate83 says:

Jim I did not expect them to be as good as pre all-star break last year. My post was just asking them to be league average which I think is fair considering who returned from that bullpen. No matter how they count them they are on pace for historically bad numbers. I think a good portion of that is bad luck because their overall stats do not match the blown save stat. However they can and should be better.

45. Nate83 says:

When do they start counting blown saves? What inning?

47. Reading says:

That was a solid inning.

Best Center Fielder on the team.

:-D

49. The Gunner says:

Nate

Your response about the bullpen & defense makes sense. However, if Pedro had not stranded so many runners, that surely would have taken some heat off the bullpen and defense.

#24 needs to crank things up real quick for the Bucs to become serious contenders this year.

50. 7th inning . . . last 3rd of game . . . the innings that usually belong to the bullpen . . . the same inning where it is possible to garner a save if Stolmy or Jeanmar or another comes in and pitches the last 3 to hold the lead . . . the same inning where that oh so very important “hold” statistic begins.

51. Lad 9 says:

Cutch! That was a good one. He hasn’t been able to hold on to the last couple he dove for, so good to see.

Reading the discussion above, you can be charged with a blown save in the 6th inning. You can also be credited with a hold in the 6th inning.

53. The Gunner says:

Volquez needs to bear down and get these yokels out

A groundball right where the 2nd baseman has been standing for 150 years.

55. Brandie says:

Oh Bay! You slay me!

56. Andrew says:

I’m pretty sure that there is anecdotal evidence that a sudden spike in velocity is a precursor to injury, so that could be bad for Volquez, for the Pirates I’m not sure.

57. The Gunner says:

Now that’s a positive comment.

58. Pucknutz says:

LOL — don’t like the shift do ya Milo ?

Much like a sudden spike in blood pressure can be a sign of a stroke ? The game, the blog & I think life in general has passed me by.

60. Brandie says:

Hopefully Edinson is true to his word and pitches like his hair is on fire!

61. Brandie says:

Good to see the team getting some hits. Gotta convert those into runs.

62. Andrew says:

Sorry for the fatalism, but the discussion of his velocity while Volquez is currently walking as many as he is striking out was getting to me.

‘Long run for McCutchen, and Tabata over to make the catch’

Holy crap Nevrett

2 infielders on each side of 2nd base. Pass a rule if you have to. The positions have names for a reason. All this gimmickry is insane.

65. Maz in Iowa says:

Not sure if I do the Chicken Dance or yell like Howard Wolewitz’s mom IF Barmes ever hits a HR!

How about this, I’ve been to 3 games this year and he’s started all of them.

67. Patrick(ri) says:

Watching that last out, I was wondering if Mgrs will start appealing “runner out of base path” on plays at first? Nobody has enforced that rule in decades, unless a guy is way out.

If that ball gets by Abreau, Marte could be running for a while

And the electricity goes out.
    Saves me from Nevrett

Guess I gotta listen to the game on my phone. How about that Milo!?
    :-)

70. Andrew says:

Well it could have been Wandy.

Hooray for technology.

72. Maz in Iowa says:

This game is reminding me a lot of yesterdays game

73. Pucknutz says:

Ya Milo… I am with ya.
    Sadly it is gonna get worse or maybe even worser. (not a word but I like it)
    The article a couple days ago http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/6101881-74/system-data-ball#axzz32y0jaYFv just blew my sock off!! Ya just one. :)

All this data is gonna turn this into a viido game where the Mgr. controls it all with a joystick ! LOL

74. twentytwo22 says:

75. tdb1977 says:

Here is your chance to fix your screw up in the earlier innings Starling!! Send this ball a long way to clear the bases.

76. Patrick(ri) says:

Walk must be right. I fully expected one in the dirt for strike three.

77. Maz in Iowa says:

Or we’ll take a single

78. The Gunner says:

no problem Andrew. Just trying to have a little fun with you. How about that clutch hitting by Marte!!!

79. Patrick(ri) says:

This will be good stuff — I have thiught Ike has a slow bat.

Poor Terry Collins.

Clint made the right choice coming to the Bucs

81. Well, at least Edinson Bedard cleaned up his penchant for giving up homeruns . . . .

. . . . he only gave up 3 doubles and 5 walks instead, and allowed the only outfielder in the National League on Social Security to drive in a run, before beating the same outfielder and his wheel chair barely to 1st base on a grounder to Gaby.

And he accomplished this all in only 110 pitches over 5 innings!

Congratulations Erik! May the Buccos still get you the win you so richly deserve!

82. Andrew says:

Vic Black was walking a batter/inning in AAA this year.

83. Patrick(ri) says:

I bet he can spell “thought,” though.

84. Andrew says:

Also striking out a batter/inning.

85. Brandie says:

Game is like deja vu all over again. :)

86. AAA doesn’t matter!!!

re: Gregory Polanco!

87. Andrew says:

No worries, it was a bit harsh on Volquez.

I’m big Marte fan, he can be frustrating but when he makes contact it is solid contact, you don’t see a lot of pop ups, weak grounders from him. The caveat being when he makes contact.

88. Fine Girl,

How’s the job working out?

89. Andrew says:

Does he pitch?

90. The Gunner says:

Here is what Volquez’s line looks like for tonight:

IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
    5.0 4 2 2 5 6 0 4.30

Not real pretty but at least he kept us in the game.

91. About as well as Edinson Bedard.

92. Patrick(ri) says:

Too late to recall Mazzaro?

93. Gnat’s Eyelash,

With 9 baserunners and 2 runs and 3 doubles and 110 pitches over 5 innings, Volquez did NOT keep Buccos in the game. He was LUCKY to get out of there with just that.

He proved true the saying: it is better to be lucky than good!

What awful baseball this is.

95. Steelag70 says:

Wow….talk about giving them a run…

96. I would have kept Vin Mazzaro and cut Jeanmar Gomez.

97. Steelag70 says:

And just WHY did we DFA Mazzaro??

98. casper in a-town says:

Good grief.

99. Lad 9 says:

No question Groat. And I said before that inning.

100. Patrick(ri) says:

Wilson looked scary good. Hope he is not wasted.

101. The Gunner says:

Oh, he definitely stinks but, despite the foul odor, he kept us in the game.

Then Jeanmar came in & screwed everything up.

Is that more accurate, Sir Groat???

102. Andrew says:

Gomez and Mazzaro are the same pitcher, both looked serviceable when they run low BABIPs.

103. Chuck H says:

What the h— did Hurdle put that ratfink in for. He belongs in Altoona or lower. Vin Mazzaro is much better, but, of course, he’s not here anymore. You would think Hurdle would have used one of the more dependable set up men.

As bad as the Mets are if they win tonight they’ll be tied with the Pirates in the standings. Doesn’t say much for the home team.

105. I’m pretty sure that Stolmy Pimentel must have bubonic plague.

And Vic Black’s going to get the win.

107. Cmat0829 says:

Pretty big difference in the talent pipeline and capabilities. Yes the Bucs have underperformed in all the areas we’ve chewed the grizzle on, but the Mess are in a class by themselves.

108. Da Mets are Da Worst.

Thanks for reminding us that the Pirates are their equal!

At least Vic Black looks good for us . . . . um . . . I mean, them.

109. Gnat’s Eyelash,

I like your way with words!

110. casper in a-town says:

Can we call up Vin Mazzaro and Vic Black tomorrow?

111. Cmat0829 says:

Inexcusable for Black to walk Tabby with two outs and Cutch on deck. Make him pay!

We are 50 games into the season.

I’ll give them to half a season before I get the matches to light my hair on fire

This game is still winnable

113. Polanco 0-5 tonight. BA down to .345

114. Cmat0829 says:

yo Gaby Gaby. How bout a HR.

115. The Gunner says:

Thank you, my good man!!

Now it’s time for Gaby to kiss it goodbye!

116. casper in a-town says:

Well, if he can’t hit triple A pitching…..

They’ve succeeded. They’ve broken him.

118. Lad 9 says:

Agree that they are very similar, especially when you look at the metrics for the past two years. (Really eerie when you look at how they both got worse this year from last) But Vin has a few more mph on his heater, and for whatever reason, I trust him a lot more in a semi-tight situation than I do Gomez.

119. BMTIB wanted to make sure his hot streak was over before bringing him up . . . . like Pedro Alvarez before him.

120. casper in a-town says:

He’s not the only one broke.

121. Or, a called 3rd strike, ‘cuz he does so well against righthanders.

122. Yeah, Pedro was on a 1-20 run when he was “promoted”.

123. The Gunner says:

That’s just great, he’ll finally make it to Pgh after he has come back down to earth.

Jeff Locke got the win tonight but he continues to walk everyone in sight, 5 more in 6 innings. Took him 113 pitches to get through 6.

125. I’ve just come to the realization that Justin Wilson is the first Major League pitcher to throw for either team tonight!

126. Edison Bedard could have accomplished that tonight———if he had gone out to pitch the 6th and gotten 3 outs in 3 pitches!

127. Andrew says:

That’s fair, I remember when Gomez would come in after a Jonathan Sanchez blow up and pitch five scoreless. Not sure who I would have preferred there, I think the big issue is the Pirates have an abundance of low strike out righties with occasional control issues, who in the end aren’t very good.

128. The Gunner says:

Sounds like a sloppy type of outing for Locke tonight. I think Sadler could be in Pgh before Locke.

129. Sadler makes me nervous.

Of course, Jeff Locke makes me suicidal!

Vance Worley.

131. Reading says:

Can anyone hit a hanging curve ball?

132. Andrew says:

I like it Biz, the best teams still lose 60 games. Even if they lose rubber game tomorrow with Morton pitching better of late.

133. The Gunner says:

How does Pedro Alvarez make you feel, Groat?

134. Lad 9 says:

Agree. There are no right handed Wilsons or Watsons hiding out there in the pen. Morris should be, but the sum of the whole is less than the parts there.

135. Man, I liked him when he was with the Phils.

I hope his arm miseries are over. BMTIB did good in picking him up, in my opinion.

136. Dr. Jekyl and Mr Hyde. Or Son of Sam.

137. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Pedro sucks so bad

138. Right now, definitely Son of Sam.

139. The Gunner says:

Tsk tsk, Pedro choked again.

140. Reading says:

The “Bucco Twinkill” takes care of the alleged rally.

141. Hey, look at the bright side———at least he didn’t strike out!!

142. Andrew says:

Alvarez has traded strike outs for weak contact and is now a worse hitter.

143. Steelag70 says:

Not that it would really make any difference, but they should just let Pedro go back to his old approach….

144. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I think Sadlers interesting.

I’m not sure if he’d start up here yet, but is give him a shot

145. The Gunner says:

Amen

146. Breakthestreak says:

El Stinko does what he does. He really sucks

147. Morris may still improve. The pieces are there.

Gomez is at his apex.

148. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

A strikeout would’ve been more helpful

149. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I think he’s a good project/fill-in spot start type of guy.

Right now, we are 4 under

Lets see where we are in another 30 games

151. Van Slick,

Sadly, there is so much truth in your comment.

Folks, IMHO, this season is going to go the way Pedro and Marte go

Pitching isn’t there so far

153. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Grilli looked pretty good there. Slider very sharp.

154. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Nah, others can pick up the slack for their lack of production, but nobody can pick up a poor pitching outing.

155. This game is the Buccos’.

I am very confident. Travis Snider is leading off!

156. Andrew says:

Just need better starting pitching, Morton has looked better and the results will come for Liriano, need Cumpton and Volquez to give the Pirates some quality starts.

157. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

JayHey coming back down to reality…..

It was fun while it lasted.

158. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

And he got on!!

159. Turn Harrison over and check his “Due By” date.

160. Great catch on Tabata. Reached out and caught on 4th finger of glove!

161. The Gunner says:

Did Neverett say Roman Mejias is pitching for the Mets?

162. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

He’s done. He hit the ball well there, but right at the LFer.

The “spark” has fizzled.

163. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I honestly don’t listen. I completely tune him out like he’s my wife.

Don’t hear a thing

If we pull this one out, who do the Mets fire tonight?

165. Patrick(ri) says:

Humbug. Hit two on the button, scored one of two runs and played decent Third.

166. As I have been saying for 51 games, Pirates desperately need a Clean-up hitter.

No team should ever walk the tying run in McCutch rather than face him.

167. Patrick(ri) says:

Steve P. got a 7th inning 3 run ph homer to put the Orioles up one over Brewers!

Like I said 80 games

Then we can meet under Kaufman’s clock on Smithfield St, and I will set my hair on fire.

Until then ;-)

That helps, thanks for the update

170. Andrew says:

Groat how much baseball do you watch? Managers pitch around or even intentionally walk guys all the time late in the game for some match up advantage, real or not.

The Orioles just IBB’d Scooter Gennett (the go ahead run) so their right handed reliever could face a RHH, in the 8th inning.

171. No, the Bucs can’t pull them all out, and they didn’t tonight, and now, they’re 7-15 on the road. And that’s it for tonight, unfortunately.

Jim called that one.

Uh, (shakes head vigorously), yeah, he did. Clint helped by pulling him ( which is his job), but . . .

If AJ did the EXACT same thing last year, he would have been praised. Not Cy Younged, but praised for hanging tough.

174. Andrew says:

And the Orioles now just IBB’d the go ahead run on in a tie game, in the 10th and he scored when Gallardo hit a pinch hit double.

I watched the end of the Brewers game last night. Anyone who has watched the Pirates-Brewers over the last handful of years knows how dangerous Gallardo is with a bat in his hands. As I watched him come up to pinch hit, I just knew he was going to crush one. Sure enough, he smacked it off the wall in LC to drive in the winning run from 1b. That is the kind of season it has been in Milwaukee this year. Pitchers pinch hit and get game winning doubles!

They had blown a 5-0 to fall behind 6-5 going to the bottom of the 9th, when Jonathan Lucroy got a 2 out, swinging bunt to tie it.

Strangely, I heard last night that Braun has not hit a HR at home yet. That won’t last.