Final: Mets 5, Pirates 0

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (23-28) vs. New York Mets (23-28)

Time: 1:10 p.m.

Site: Citi Field, New York

TV, Radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page and our Bucco Blog. Travis Sawchik is on the scene for the Trib.

Comments

1. Maz in Iowa says:

Time for Pedro to step up.

2. Maz in Iowa says:

Pirates lineup vs NYM Harrison RF Walker 2B McCutchen CF Davis 1B Marte LF Alvarez 3B Mercer SS Stewart C Morton P

Amen, Maz!

With all the emphasis on trying to go the other way, be more selective, put the ball in play more, etc. it looks like he stopped pounding the ball. That strategy doesn’t work for everyone, I guess. Maybe Pedro is just one of those guys who you have to let be himself. I wonder if his head is getting screwed up now.

One good thing today is the Bucs can wipe away the stench of that crappy loss last night pretty quickly.

I would have given Tabby another start in RF today.

5. Maz in Iowa says:

Information overload

6. Maz in Iowa says:

When Polanco arrives they’ll have to make a decision.Tabata isn’t as versatile as Harrison and Jose is signed long term.Tabata seems to be a trade candidate

That’s kind of what I’m thinking. But, I’m just speculating.

Why not cut Snider?

Jim,
    Pedro’s head may be screwed up.

But from listening to Clint, it maybe screwed up because Pedro thinks a lot. Over-thinks hitting

10. Maz in Iowa says:

I guess I’m sorta hoping they get something good in return for Tabata.I do agree Snider isn’t producing.it’s just that Tabata would seem to be a 5th OF.JMO

11. Nate83 says:

I can’t see them keeping Harrison as the 4th outfielder. He should move back to infield utility and 5th outfielder just in case of an injury. Tabata should stay on the team as the 4th outfielder and Snider gets traded or cut. Most likely cut based on what he has shown I’m not sure what he is worth in a trade.

If they traded Tabata they would open themselves up to a long stint of Harrison who is not an outfielder by trade if an injury happened. Either that or Jaff Decker who I think they like but would like to get more experience and consistant at bats in AAA.

I can see them sending Mercer down. It’s a reversible move. The other two guys aren’t.

I’m sure we could debate that Tabata is a better outfielder than Harrison.
    I think he is. Plus he could play center field if need be.

14. Nate83 says:

I would have as well but I’m admittingly a Tabata supporter. I fear Harrison’s fall will be quick when it happens and it may have already started.

15. Maz in Iowa says:

Mercer is a mess.No argument there

16. Nate83 says:

Interesting point Milo. I guess I hadn’t even thought of that as an option because Snider has been so bad I assumed he was gone but that means having 5 outfielders on the team that only play outfield and only JHay to back up 2B, SS and 3B. Would Barmes start with JHay as his backup?

I don’t think they send down Mercer and go with Harrison & Barmes at short. I don’t think they like J-Hay at short. And I think they will give Mercer time to snap out of it.

As bad as Snider is, if they get rid of him they’d have no left handed bat on the bench. He has shown the ability to hit with power off the bench.

Harrison has been the backup shortstop before. He can play there once or twice a week if need be or if his bat dictates. And besides, how often does the shortstop actually play shortstop anymore ? Pedro is the shortstop half the time.

19. Maz in Iowa says:

It will really start getting complicated when Polanco comes up.Polanco bats leadoff??

ahhhhhh, we back on the shifts.

:-)

You said it, I didn’t. :)

22. Nate83 says:

“how often does the shorthstop actually play shortstop anymore?”

Classic. Made me laugh out loud.

23. Nate83 says:

Well then they need to start letting him bat in big situations instead of pinch hitting for him. He had some big hits last year and almost always made the pitcher work in such situations sometimes drawing the walk.

24. I’m with Milo on requiring 2 people on each side of 2nd. What would the penalty be if someone did it or would the ump stop play and make them move over?

25. toochca says:

Sean Burnett left the game last night with an elbow injury. While driving to work the report on the ANGELS Radio network was that AJ Burnett left the game due to an elbow injury. Great reporting!!

26. Maz in Iowa says:

That would be MLB micro managing.Slippery slope

27. toochca says:

The only current rule on player placement on the field requires 8 players to be positioned in fair territory. In order to alter the rule to fit in Milo’s suggestion would require years of study because we know how fast baseball moves with rule changes.

28. The Gunner says:

The Good Charlie needs to show up today or some people on this blog will start saying, “he stinks”

They outlawed the fake to third, throw to first. The positions have names. The 3rd baseman should play 3rd base, not short right field.

Help me Lucky!!!!!

31. bpn8pitt says:

Like to see Ground Chuck give them a solid start today.

…man I hope the AL East standings are the exact same come Oct 1st. :)

C’mon, Gunner, low hanging fruit. Somebody’s going to say he stinks no matter what. ;-)

33. He stinks.

;)

Really, I’m for him. I hope he succeeds as I hope the Bucs do. But sometimes, he stinks.

34. Another number 1 pick of the Bucs with an elbow injury. Wish we could blame that on Kyle Stark. What was Sean’s previous major injury? Wasn’t it TJ surgery? It was early in the 2000′s, as he was number 1 in 2000, correct?

I don’t see the fake to third throw to first as the same thing at all. They also outlaw balks.

He needs to demonstrate that he can hit before he earns Hurdle’s confidence that he can hit in big situations. Last year is over.

37. I’m with 21. I wouldn’t cry if Tabata was traded before today’s game.

Joe Morgan argued for years that the fake to third throw to first was a balk anyways. Not allowed to deceive the base runner.

GIT OFF MY LAWN!

Let the game evolve on its own. I like the shifts and it’s fairly innovative. Why would we want to stop that?

On the other hand, it might be fun to see an umpire throw a yellow flag and yell, “Offsides. Shortstop!”

I see them as equally gimmicky.

God bless whoever posted about baseball’s pace of play this morning.

I’ve watched baseball since 1975 and they are starting to lose me as a viewer. Nine inning games just go on and on. My kids could care less about it so if baseball loses my television interest, then my household is lost for all time. Replays just exacerbate it.

Prefer now to watch the fine scripted shows the various entertainment outlets are providing and follow the ballgames online and through social media.

At least television has Jan at Toyota, though

First of all, I can spell. :)

Well that’s a shocker…

Addition by subtraction.

46. Maz in Iowa says:

Mike Hargrove “the human rain delay”

Hey, the Pirates have their center fielder play in left. (Gonna milk that one for awhile). ;-)

48. dennis g says:

Anyone know when a manager can ask for an umpire review of a play? It seems as if the Mets got two bites at the apple the other day. If Martin was blocking the plate shouldn’t that be a judgment call by the home plate umpire? How can it be reviewed?

After Ben Revere got off the schnide last night with his first Major League home run in 1567 plate appearances, the new title holder for most PA without a home run is none other than BROCK HOLT.

Could be, TC. I think Pedro, like most guys who are feast or famine type of hitters, probably beats himself up pretty good when he isn’t producing as he would like. As a fan, I often get frustrated with that type of hitter. I think that type of hitter also gets frustrated with himself. I assume Pedro would like to have a higher batting average and not strike out as much, without losing his power. I think he has been working to do that this year. He has cut his K’s, and increased his walks. In the process, his average on balls in play has dropped precipitously. So, the question to me becomes, is this just bad luck for him? Or, is he not squaring the ball up like usual since he is concentrating a bit more on hitting the other way? Or, maybe a combination of the two things? Whatever the case, he is not producing very well right now. I hope he gets back on track soon. This team goes nowhere if he isn’t producing better.

They can’t trade him. Everyone in MLB thinks he stinks because he gets ripped on this here blog. That’s how important we are. ;-)

Now tied with Duane Kuiper (one in 3,754).

53. toochca says:

He just came off the DL from elbow surgery 9 months ago. It was his third appearance since returning.

The more I watch the more I’m convinced replay rules are officially written on the back of a napkin Bud Selig used one morning at Starbucks.

Only Major League Baseball could make this difficult.

That is exactly what will happen, I think.

Why bring up a lefty hitting RF, knowing you have to demote, trade or release someone, and not have that person who gets demoted, traded or released be a currently struggling lefty hitting RF?

I suppose they could trade Tabby. But, I think he has more value to this team right now than they could get in return on the trade market.

Tabata has to be a better OF than a guy who just picked up the position.

Good point, Milo. I hadn’t considered that Snider is their only lefty off the bench. I had been assuming all along that is the logical one to go. I would say, though, that doesn’t Tabby historically have pretty equal splits vs RHP and LHP?

Mercer is definitely scuffling. I guess it could be him.

58. The Gunner says:

The offense needs to give Cholly a lot of support today. The bullpen needs a rest, don’t you think?

“The British are coming! The British are coming!”

60. Maz in Iowa says:

“Good time Charlie’s got the blues”…….some gotta win,some gotta lose.Story of his life. :)

Isn’t that the truth. I remember when Cutch stunk last year in some people’s minds.

62. Cmat0829 says:

That’s why we pay milo the big BlogBucks. Hadn’t thought about mercer and this options. He needs to go to Indy and learn to drive thd ball again. He hasn’t been hitting with any sort of authority all year.

What’s next? 2 minutes in the Sin Bin? ;)

I thought a certain blogger had dibs on that “s” word ….

1st or 2nd, I would say – at least, to start with.

indeed

Yeah, it seems like these “umpire reviews” only happen after one manager questions a call. I haven’t understood the distinction between that and ordinary challenges, other than for some reason those ones don’t cost a team it’s official challenge.

Who is Steve Stone, Alex.

Yeah, really good idea by Milo.

Mercer needs to hit the restart button. Clint Barmes literally can do better right now.

70. likeabugonarug says:

So what do you do if it’s the bottom of the 9th and a team wants to move an OF to the IF? Since we are going by “the players have a position”, how do you rule on that?

Shifts have been there for many years. They are evolving, though with a lot of help from technology. Hitters will just need to learn to use the whole field.

Kevin

And for the love of god, stop just standing there staring at the Manager as he kills time waiting on word from the dugout.

72. likeabugonarug says:

How do all of you get into the locker room to know a player doesn’t shower? :-)

Kevin

73. I can smell some of them from 500 miles away, rugster.

;)

LMAO!

Kuiper is part of one of my favorite TV announcing teams in MLB, along with, I think, Krukow. I think they are great on SF broadcasts.

But, he had no power as a hitter.

I know. Manager slowly saunters out.

Umpire to Manager: “Are you just waiting on the uh … the replay go or no go thing?”

Manager to Umpire: “Yeah. Just checking if you F’d up the call. Should know any minute here …. So, seen any good movies lately?”

Umpire to Manager: “No, but I’m totally hooked on Mad Men. Anything yet?”

Manager to Umpire: “Umm … Ok, defensive shift coach says nerd in the skybox says you were right the first time. Sorry to waste your time.”

Umpire to Manager: “Ok, get the F— back in the dugout.”

I’m just kidding around, Gunner. It would be nice to get a solid outing.

Don’t forget about Amy G..

79. Botherhood of the Redus says:

Tabata gets on base….he stays

Hahah, I laughed, Jim. Too close to being true.

81. Botherhood of the Redus says:

I like how we never know who the hell initiated the review…keeps some of the prestige in blue haha. Perhaps MLB is hoping to create manager tirades over not being permitted to request reviews late in the season

82. Andrew says:

I originally believed that the replay implementation would go okay, man was I wrong. The blocking rule is just asinine, I could write a three paragraph rant on it. And the entire process of challenges versus just asking for umpires to review, not sure why I expected a league that is Constitutionally protected from competition to be good at adapting.

83. JD says:

Granderson, RF
    Young, C, LF
    Duda, 1B
    Tejada, R, SS
    Centeno, C
    Colon, P

Game is on MLBN for those of us scattered from the coasts to the flyover states.

Ron Darling saying the Pittsburgh road grey uniforms are some of the best in baseball. I agree. Love the full “PITTSBURGH” across the chest.

Both teams honor Ralph Kiner with a uniform patch. Not many late players can lay claim to that, I wager.

my Dad loved Kiner…

For many reasons this is the most important game of the season. Your starting pitcher needs to come up large. No more excuses. Let’s see.

I know it’s early, but I’m already skeered! But 2nd out was huge….

90. The Gunner says:

Daydro just got a 2 bagger!!!!

91. Patrick(ri) says:

Just peeked into/onto DK’s Tweet site. It is good to see his eighth inning yard work is not wasted. Nice photo.

I see our starting pitcher is on track to keep our streak of throwing 90+ pitches in 5 innings intact. This is getting ridiculous.

93. Maz in Iowa says:

Pirates have a really bad habit of making bad pitchers look like Cy Young candidates.*sigh*

Pretty much.

95. The Gunner says:

no problem, AW. Chuck threw 28 pitches in the 1st inning; hopefully, he worked the kinks out and will start to dominate from this point on.

:sigh: another walk.

97. Patrick(ri) says:

Colon is old, but not sure he is “bad.” Didn’t he win a Cy Young?

Back in the 60′s sometime I think.

99. Patrick(ri) says:

Lol

100. cosmo says:

was he having coffee with DK?

No, but I think he won the 4th of July competitive hot dog eating contest at Nathan’s Famous a few years in a row.

Beat Joey Chestnut and Kobayashi, I think.

102. Maz in Iowa says:

His ERA was almost 5.50 coming in.

John Wehner: “You have a guy up at the plate who just cannot hit at all, and you bounce a ball in the dirt for a wild pitch.”

Neveritt: “You’re right. Bartolo Colon is about as close to an automatic out as you can get.”

104. Patrick(ri) says:

That second wild pitch looked like it might have been corralled?

Campdown racetrack 5 miles long…

Never.

107. The Gunner says:

45 pitches in 2 innings, not to mention two (2) wild pitches. Charles need to right the ship in the 3rd inning.

108. cosmo says:

Does it seem like the wild pitches go up when Martin is not behind the plate. I thought they got Stewart for
    his defense. Or was it his pitch framing?

109. Patrick(ri) says:

+++. I don’t think has been very impressive, so far.

That’s 6 wild pitches in the last 7 innings.

Neveritt just said the only guy in the Mets lineup who did his job as a situational hitter that inning was the guy who hit a groundball to SS for the 2nd out that moved the runner from 2nd to 3rd. One of the dumbest things I’ve heard in a long time.

Since when is moving a runner from 2nd to 3rd for the 2nd out good situational hitting – especially with the pitcher coming to bat? Then, I remembered that this is the Pirates pitching staff, so as long as you get a runner to 3b at any point in an inning there is a good chance they will throw a wild pitch to score him.

Lucas Duda sent me searching the interwebs…

Young Johnny Cash singing Camptown Races:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noYptXPHiAE Cash

It was better than popping up or striking out.

I think it is the law of averages catching up with them the last 2 nights. If you throw enough balls in the dirt, some will get by.

Little League triple. Keystone Cops stuff going on now.

116. Maz in Iowa says:

Maybe the Bucs are just playing possum.Maybe?Giving the Mets false hope.Maybe?….nah!!

That looked like one of my old little league teams

118. Lad 9 says:

Was the play on Murphy as bad as it sounded on the radio?

119. Lad 9 says:

I see it was. :) Thanks Biz and Jim….

120. Maz in Iowa says:

Whatever happened to POH?Is she still around?

Just handing them run after run. It’s the only way they can score. This is pathetic.

122. The Gunner says:

thanks, Pedro – what a clod!

123. twentytwo22 says:

I’ve had enough of this Mickey Mouse defense. They’ve given away runs all year.

All set up for another wild pitch. Or maybe he’ll just hit a guy in the leg.

125. TJA says:

Where oh where has the defense gone? This is ridiculous!

Murphy and Wright are all they have.

UGH!

128. Andrew says:

Making an out is rarely a good idea.

129. Patrick(ri) says:

Putting Pedro, Stewart & Mercer on the field at the same produces expected results.

130. Maz in Iowa says:

Is there a more disappointing left side duo than Mercer/Pedro?

Pirates now 1st in NL in wild pitches (30), 2nd in errors (42) & 3rd in passed balls (5).

132. chethejet1 says:

mercer is really a problem now. I was hoping he would be the guy who could develop into a decent SS. Pedro “Air Mail” Alvarez will love the money when he leaves, but the pressure to produce will be something he just is not in his make up. I can see another Bobby Bonilla situation if he goes to the Big Apple.

133. The Gunner says:

maybe Daydro will tie it up with one swing, Patrick

I was thinking Bobby Bo, too. But he’s still getting paid, as far I know.

135. Andrew says:

Not able to watch but I going to infer that this hasn’t been a well played game.

And 1st by a country mile in HBP (33). The 2nd place Cards have only hit 22. Teams don’t even need to hit the ball to score against the Pirates.

And 1st in stolen bases against (45). Anyone sensing a trend ?

138. Maz in Iowa says:

Colon twirling a 2 hit shutout thru 4 innings

Masterful.

Wow! All unforced errors.

155 free bases.

142. Patrick(ri) says:

Stewart is a good observer at bat.

143. Maz in Iowa says:

Polanco breaks his “slump”

They stink? ;-)

Indubitably

Colon had allowed 9 homers in 57 innings coming into today.

147. Patrick(ri) says:

Amazing. We are deservedly losing to this team!

148. Reading says:

At least the Pirates aren’t being no hit … That will be the next series.

149. bpn8pitt says:

Like a million for 25 years.

150. Reading says:

The 5-6 game under malaise. They win a few, then lose a few, then win a few, then lose a few more. The hole never fills up. Perpetual catchup mode.

151. bpn8pitt says:

Springer homered again?!?

152. Maz in Iowa says:

These 2 teams looking like MLB version of the Washington Generals

Bartolo Colon is bidding to become the oldest / fattest (combination age / BMI) pitcher in major league history to throw a shutout.

We’re sitting in on history here people !

154. The Gunner says:

I am starting to think the Pirates might seriously consider unloading Pedro at this year’s fire sale if they can get something reasonable in return.

155. Andrew says:

It seems like good pitching can paper over defensive mistakes.

156. Florida Steeler says:

5 inning Chuck at it again. Cannot believe this offense cannot hit Colon!!!!!

157. bpn8pitt says:

Good post, Milo. Knew it was bad, but not that bad.

158. Karen22 says:

LOL! Embarrassed by a fat, old CHEATER! Hope this is the low point of the season. But there have already been a few of those in contention. Doesn’t last year feel like 100 years ago?

159. Maz in Iowa says:

Any positive comments?I got nothing

160. TJA says:

Interesting point, Gunner. Very interesting

161. 9 DAYS UNTIL GREGORY POLANCO IS MAGICALLY “READY” TO PUT ON A PIRATE UNI

{because NOW is not nearly important as 6-7 seasons from NOW)

162. Dom says:

We Losin’!!!

163. TJA says:

Thanks for all the “discouraging” stats, Milo. Gotta face what it is though.

164. Baywatch says:

I don’t like pitchers who are still works in progress. That’s my impression of Charlie. I know they all can’t be as competitive to the degree that Cole is … but I like to see some fire in a pitcher!

165. The Gunner says:

The BMTIB certainly will not sign him when he is eligible for free agency. So, why not move him now? They may be able to get a real shortstop & plug up some of the holes in this tired pitching staff.

Just a thought, that’s all.

166. Maz in Iowa says:

At least Colon’s pitch count is high.One more inning.Their pen is pretty bad.Might give the Bucs a chance

167. The Gunner says:

Tsk, tsk! Another shaky performance by Charles Morton (no thanks to the hapless Bucco defense and offense).

168. TJA says:

Maz in Iowa – They soon get 4 with the Dodgers in LA – who lead in MLB History with 21 No-Hitters, thanks to Beckett’s gem a few days ago. Oh, wait…you wanted positive comments.

Well, they get 4 at home vs. the Cubbies in June.

It is definitely worth looking into, Gunner. He’s going to be gone eventually. Some of us have speculated that Walker becomes the 3b.

Shades of Rick Reuschel.

Our catchers deserve hazard pay.

172. Baywatch says:

Grrrrr!!!

173. Maz in Iowa says:

Polanco 3 more hits…..geez that’s as many the Pirates today

174. 3-3 with a double so far. BA back up to .355.

Adversity training ends again, at least for this day.

He pitched a shutout at 41, but the BMI isn’t close.

Love that guy. He lives in Saxonburg, married former Cub teammate Scot Thompson’s sister.

This game is ugly

177. Stuart says:

1000 percent agreement about the overthinking! Make him stay in the box, with no in-between practice swings, and he will have less time to think.

Your use of “may” qualifies as understatement of the year!

Stuart

178. No sense drooling. It ain’t late June yet.

179. Maz in Iowa says:

180. bpn8pitt says:

About 16 days or so when we realize how much better ML pitching is than AAA pitching. IMO anyway.

someone need a bib?

you can say that again

183. Maz in Iowa says:

This game is ugly

I think I saw a highlight that George Springer hit his 9th homer today.

Just sayin…..

185. Maybe Lunchie and his .210 average can do something. Colon turned 41 last week. He’s probably 10 years older than that.

186. No, there’s no beach volleyball going on anywhere.

187. Stuart says:

Wow, a second 1000% agreement. Baseball is getting hard to watch for a whole game IMHO, and I’m certainly not some teenager with a limited attention span.

No stepping out except for the type of emergency like a fly in your eye.

Stuart

188. Might be an improvement this season for sure. In the field and at the plate.

This season is ugly.

190. Karen22 says:

I like the idea…Petey drives me nuts more than he drives the ball.

191. Patrick(ri) says:

Does it seem like “getaway” games have been especially awful this season?

192. Karen22 says:

You can say that again.

193. The Gunner says:

Sufferin Catfish, Jim!!

Pedro has been so damn unproductive this year, it just can’t go on. I am fine with Walker @ 3B – the BMTIB needs to wrap PRNW up long tern. Give Jay Hey the opportunity to play 2nd base, he has certainly earned it. Hopefully, Polanco can supply the power that K-dro was supposed to provide.

194. The Gunner says:

Milo…………..you are way too kind!

195. TJA says:

As I said….it IS an interesting point. You got me thinking on this one.

196. The Gunner says:

Lucky

The Bucs need to unload Pedro now, don’t you think?

This season? Try all of Hurdle’s career with the Bucs. His teams never show up for day games.

198. TJA says:

Personally I’d rather keep Walker. And, it has nothing to do with him being a kid form Pittsburgh (just needed to throw that in).

And do what, Gunner?

200. Baywatch says:

I’m saying this is the most NAP-INDUCING effort I’ve seen the Bucs put forth, yea, all the way back … 9 Jimmy Andersons would be better!

201. The Gunner says:

I’m really POed, NMR. By now I mean, either in the July fire sale or in the off season. The biggest risk is that he turns into another Aramis Ramirez or Jose Bautista.

202. Patrick(ri) says:

He is pitching for the Mets, today.

203. TJA says:

I have to get back to some work. Have a good evening everyone! See ya in L.A. against the mighty Dodgers. (Oh, Lord help this team….got a prayer for them Reverend?!)

No, the biggest risk is that the Pirates don’t have a damn thing to put at 3B.

Just relax. Every year people get fed up and go into a tizzy and he always produces.

But by all means, this is a PO’d kinda game. Six k’s looking is embarassing.

No hard feelings.

No history today for Bartolo. At 41 years old & 39.5 BMI (30 is obese) it was still quite a performance.

207. The Gunner says:

Walker is solid, TJA. He’s an athlete, he’ll be able to make the transition to 3B. Hell, outside of a couple weeks at Indy before he came up, he never played 2B in his life. The BMTIB needs to invest in Walker……………now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

208. Patrick(ri) says:

The Pirates, this season: as an analyst said today, about one of my favorite stocks “It isn’t dead yet, but it sure smells funny.”

Andrew Mccutchen has two extra base hits in his last 20 games.

210. Patrick(ri) says:

Actually, he was stealing a quote from Frank Zappa about Jazz. Of course FZ literally did eat shit.

Speculated?

Speculated?

Chortled is the word!

212. The Gunner says:

Absolutely no hard feelings, pal!

But the Bucs could move Walker to 3B and let Jay Hey play 2B. Now if all they can get for Pedro is Bobby Hill II or Robinson Diaz, Jr., definitely don’t make that deal.

Talk to John Russell, Bay.

They’re getting nothing from McCutchen, Marte & Alvarez. The way this team is built, they can’t win without them.

215. twentytwo22 says:

Yep. This game separates winners and losers. Losers quit. Winners bear down.

Last game of series
    2014: 5-12 (2-1 in first 3 series)
    2013: 27-25 (0-3 in first 3 series)
    From April-June they were 19-8 in these games

Which stock was that, Patrick?

Oh, 2nd in balks.

He’s engaged.

219. Patrick(ri) says:

Apple. A scary headline followed by lots of equivocation.

220. twentytwo22 says:

McCutchen should bat leadoff.

I loved him, too. He still lives in the area? I didn’t know that. I know he was really good for a couple years at the end of his career for the Bucs. He also had a nice earlier career with the Cubs.

222. Florida Steeler says:

Bob Smizik said it this AM–” The Pirates will not be contending come September.”

I think 2nd.

224. Maz in Iowa says:

What a beatdown!

225. Patrick(ri) says:

Mets just dumped duda on us. No, it was Stewart. I will stop with the scatological humor now, and apologize to all.

That was my guess. Thanks.

227. Reading says:

When the Pirates play the Brewers and are up 1 in the 9th, you just know that Braun will go yard to give the Brewers the win or the lead. Same with Molina and the Cards. I never have that feeling with Cutch or Pedro.

Are we still talking baseball?

229. Lad 9 says:

Wow Milo, those numbers you quoted today are stunning….

Somewhere Vin Mazzaro is asking, “I’m out of a job?”

231. Yeah, I pray their plane arrives safely. Psalm 91.

232. Andrew says:

Sorry if this spiteful, it is mostly misdirected anger, Alvarez yes he has traded strikeouts for weak contact, rolling over hitting groundballs and lazy flies to left, but McCutchen and Marte, come on. McCutchen is the 11th best hitter in the NL in May, Marte 20th out 87 players.

The problem is the pitching, which is THE WORST in the major leagues.

233. Patrick(ri) says:

This hitter looks like Colon’s grand kid.

234. Andrew says:

Pirates have not won a road series since opening one a Wrigley.

That’s why he gets paid the big bucks.

Speaking of that, Dom asked what time Polanco II with DK and MM would be on. I think I heard 5:30.

I can’t wait to hear Hurdle try to shine up this piece of crap. Actually I can wait. Someone let me know if he lights them up like a Christmas tree because they deserve it.

237. Steelag70 says:

And the disappointment continues. If not for the heroics of Gabby and Tabby on Monday, this series would have been even more of a disaster if that is possible.

238. Florida Steeler says:

Hurdle needs to get his head out of the bubble gum bucket and sit this clown down–all the way down and outa here. What do they have against Mazaro??

239. Yup, when it should be Morris and Gomez. The master of bullpen construction has some work to do if we’re to salvage this season. He can lean over to the starters while he’s at it.

240. Maz in Iowa says:

Jeurys Familia just collected his first MLB hit.

241. Steelag70 says:

+++++

242. Florida Steeler says:

Never, the guy is a joke–he has had two really good years managing and the rest–pfft!!!!!

@Jim. +++

244. Steelag70 says:

Vin must have REALLY pissed someone off…

245. chethejet1 says:

I said mercer was the most disappointing player this year, I may have spoken to soon. Morris the Cat is right up there. What happended to his almost unhittable stuff in April? Hurdle has to be called on the carpet for this lackluster effort. Nutting has to let the BMTIB to fix this now.

246. Steelag70 says:

More likely he will canonize Colon in his post game…

247. Bryan and Jeanmar need some re-tooling.

Actually, I think he’s been pretty straightforward lately. See—Juan D.

249. Steelag70 says:

Hate to say a season is on the brink 2 months in, but unless they start turning it around….well…

250. Florida Steeler says:

Hey, we always have USA soccer minus Donovan but what the hell???

251. Maz in Iowa says:

If this season is already history……I hope Huntington doesn’t decide to keep Polanco down another year…..just kidding….just kidding

You’re kinda new to this, huh Chet? ;)

This team seems to lack a fire, a spark. That and the awful pitching…..

But hey, always the draft to look forward to on June 5th, and the Polanco watch around June 15th-20th. Good times, fellas.

This game reminds me of when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor …..

Gotta have more than walks & singles from the middle of your order. 11th best hitter ? That’s not good enough from last year’s 1st best player.

254. Only if they get something for him, Gunner. Of equal value, like shiny new draft picks or some decent pitching.

255. Florida Steeler says:

Welcome back–where have you been???

256. Maz in Iowa says:

Or when we dropped the A bomb on Germany

257. Patrick(ri) says:

Understand the Mets are considering a Duda Bobble-hands night.

258. The Gunner says:

Absolutely, Lucky. We need to get some value back for #24 definitely if the BMTIB decides to move him.

Wazzup Plan !

260. Steelag70 says:

Unbelievable….

Pirates 23

Hurdle 29

262. Maz in Iowa says:

Mets vs Walking Dead

263. Patrick(ri) says:

We should have gone over to DKs and helped with the yard work. Most of us spread stuff pretty well.

Bucs: 0 runs on 6 hits, with 2 errors.

Mets: 5 runs on 6 hits, with 2 errors.

We also walked 8 of them. The Mets walked one Buc, and it was intentional.

265. Maz in Iowa says:

Bucs in need of a heart transplant……sure didn’t show any the last 2 games

266. Shame. I was so looking forward to him having a growth season this year after making the AS Team last season. Seems he’s regressed like many so far.

Hi fellas. Occasionally popping in.

Trying not to be too critical of the team so far this year, but it is obvious that the roster construction is missing fire, leadership, whatever you want to call it. Situational hitting bad, pitching worse.

Maybe Polanco will provide a Puig-type spark?

Draft next week needs to address many holes system-wide……. kinda tough to do in one draft.

But, at least we aren’t the Browns. Waitaminute……

Hey, plan! Welcome back. Don’t be a stranger.

269. Or when Noah parted the Red Sea.

So you are saying the Bucs needed more runs?

271. Andrew says:

He was the 4th best hitter last year, I just think you barking up the wrong tree, if a guy is getting on base 43% of the time the issues lie elsewhere.

The Pirates problems begin with the inability of the pitchers to miss bats and keep the ball in the park, the list grows long after that but I’m starting there.

But at this pace we’ll have penalty of issues to highlight and argue about and a lot of time to do it.

I’m trying to figure out what they’ll say on this topic at 5:30 that they didn’t say Sunday night. I might even tune in.

273. chethejet1 says:

time for a Skeet shooting outing.

Yeah, I have noticed Clint pulling less and less punches lately.

Aside from Wandy, he unloaded on Marte when he forgot the # of outs the other day.

275. Brandie says:

Big Flatline. :(

Big Flattop……….. like Kid N Play !!

277. Andrew says:

The Pirates were shutout 12 times last year on pace for that same amount this season.

The Pirates had 16 shutouts last year, on pace for 3 this year.

He’s definitely not getting XBH. But, his RBI opportunities have been down quite a bit, I think. I read about 2 weeks ago that he was leading MLB in % of times batting in the 1st inning with 2 out and 0 on.

279. Maz in Iowa says:

Hey the bat boys looked good though :)

I’m just going by my perception, but doesn’t it seem like the Bucs almost never score in the first couple of innings? They seem to be losing in the middle of the game a high % of the time.

1st inning should, theoretically, yield the most runs because it is the one inning where you get to dictate who will bat 1st, 2nd, 3rd. I can’t remember the last time we scored in the 1st inning.

In a nutshell … yes.

282. I was thinking more of an enema if you want medical procedures. At least for the pitchers and a few of the position players.

283. Maz in Iowa says:

Too bad it isn’t like golf.Lowest score……………………

Unfortunately, way too much time.

Believe me Andrew, I’m not crushing him but he needs to do more. Just like the other 24 guys need to do more. What I don’t want him to do is go out of the strike zone.

And he got criticized earlier this year because he actually publicly criticized a player. Part of the job to accept the criticism from fans, but it is humorous at times.

286. I don’t know what the Pirates will do if they don’t start winning road games soon. They made the Mets look better than they really are these last two games and it wasn’t really that hard for Bartolo Colon to go through the Bucs’ lineup at all this afternoon. And their road record is now 7-16, the second worst in the league. And they’ll be facing the Dodgers in LA this weekend, and they’ll need all the luck they can possibly get.

287. Maz in Iowa says:

Rangers Claim Phil Irwin

+++. AW.

I was thinking sigmoidoscopy because you’re awake for that, and there’s a camera.

290. Brandie says:

Time for Polanco Bismol.

Is he going to play in Game 6 vs. Montreal? :-)

Some team has a worse road record? Hardly seems possible.

293. There’s no smarter investment I could ever imagine than a spark that costs $15 million for two months. Maybe Zambelli could step in and turn the spark into wholesale fireworks.

Don’t be silly. Everybody knows Charlton Heston parted the Red Sea.

I have to believe Hurdle has had about all of this he can take. There’s only so many times you can say, “Serenity now” before you just explode.

If I was a Pirates’ player, and I was hungry after today’s game, I would be getting to that post-game spread quickly.

Hey, Brandie! How goes it these days?

297. Maz in Iowa says:

Maybe they could promote Indy…….the whole team

298. Sounds about right, Bro.

sigmoidoscope

— n
    an instrument incorporating a light for the direct observation of the colon, rectum, and sigmoid flexure

299. Problem is, some of them stink.

;)

300. bpn8pitt says:

Andrew must of blown a gasket with another Morris meltdown.

I can’t remember who said it in early spring, maybe even Dejan, but with a lot of the guys in the bullpen out of options, kinda painted them into a corner.

I’ve never got the impression that Hurdle was that type of personality.

You’re incorrigible. ;-)

Don’t mind him. He’s just warming up for Madden. And Mark will be right. Again. ;)

Is that the Bartolo Colon?

305. Worley today, 8 innings, 4 hits, 2 ER, 1 walk, 10 K’s on only 97 pitches. ERA down to 3.82

Polanco 3-3 with a walk.

My guess is they’ll talk hockey. ;-)

POTD

I think he’s positive and upbeat to a point. But, I always think he has a temper, and if he feels like he needs to stick his size 12 up somebody’s butt to get their attention he’ll do it. As far as I am concerned, it will be too late very soon if somebody doesn’t shake this team out of their careless mistakes.

And, I’m not really even saying I think that sort of thing works with professional ball players all the time. But, at this point, what do you have to lose?

310. Maz in Iowa says:

is it illegal to impersonate a MLB team?

Who was the person that predicted back in Spring Training that Morris would be the next Pirates closer?!?!?

Oh, wait a minute……..

That’s AFTER the road trip. ;-)

If they would improve their hitting with RISP and pitch better, there would be no need for increased fire and leadership.

I was thinking warmup, too, Milo.

And he claims he doesn’t prepare. ;-)

Good to see Polanco seems to have come out on the other side of that horrendous slump. He’s proven he can overcome adversity. I feel good about him again. ;-)

316. Andrew says:

You guys are right he is certainly not hitting for power, as other hitters. However I’m going to focus my anger on Alvarez, guys has come to the plate with the most base runners on in the NL, 175, and scoring them at an abysmal rate. Never thought I ask for the 30% K rate Alvarez to come back, but at least that version brought some power.

317. Who was it? DK?

I might have known. Predictocevic at it again.

318. Maz in Iowa says:

Yeah it seemed to go on and on and on and on.Yeah about as long as it took to type this. :)

319. I second that emotion.

Just a thought. If they don’t plan on keeping Pedro they could put that money towards the $15 mil to Polanco.

Just a thought.

321. Talk about incorrigible.

322. Chuck H says:

But did you notice some of those calls by the home plate ump against the Buc batters, I almost said hitters. He was calling strikes that were 6 inches inside or outside the strike zone. Must have been a relative of Colon’s. I must admit though, the Pirates as a team do not swing at the first pitch, notably Marte and Walker, that are right down the middle of the plate. This is a very hard game to watch, a comedy of errors something like Barnum & Bailey.

If they don’t keep Pedro, and they also wait to bring up Polanco to save money, imagine all that freed up cash for new ski lifts?

324. Andrew says:

Not this time, Morris was merciful, in that he took that lame horse that was this game and put it out of its misery.

That might be a little morbid but it fits the mood.

325. Andrew says:

I think Pedro is working on keeping his arbitration value down.

:-D

That’s true. Everyone now pitches around Cutch to get to Pedro on an almost daily basis. That is why Cutch is on pace to draw 130 walks. And, Pedro has not made them pay often.

328. Maz in Iowa says:

At this rate Pedro will have to pay the Pirates

DK–?????????????????

You must have missed my Polanco watch from June 15th-20th.
    Or you are confused ……….

Or you were a casualty from the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor.

And, there is nothing wrong with Zambelli fireworks. :)

330. bpn8pitt says:

Not sure Walker has the arm for 3b. Pretty sure that’s why he was removed from catcher.

It was me. I can’t pin that on DK

You might be right, bpn.

333. Brandie says:

It is going along Jim-Jam! Hope things are well in the Windy City! :)

334. Chuck H says:

Why would they want to keep Airmail Alvarez? Although if he were on another team and could learn some patience and discipline at the plate , and they played him at 1st base, he might do a turnaround. Or not! Better give up on Morton, Gomez,and
    Morris to name a few bad pitchers. Do like the Mets did with Valverde after Mondat’s game.

So far DK is exposing MM for what he is: a person who doesn’t know much about baseball and loves to yell …especially when he is proven wrong.

I thought Madden absolutely crushed him.

337. bpn8pitt says:

Really thought Mercer would give them .250-.260 and a better OBP.

Biggest problem position player wise IMO. The D is not even there.

Don’t want to imagine that team without Russ Martin either.

Well, if he sat on him he might.

All Madden could keep saying was ” I saw it published” but yet couldn’t name these publications.

Let me guess, Madden

WOULDN’T GIVE ME A STRAIGHT ANSWER !!!!!! ……….. like you incredulously cried the one day?

Right?

Maybe he needs leadership too?

340. An honest man. Hard to find sometimes.

I thought it was great radio. On this rarest of rare occasions, I just happen to agree with Mark. Very strongly.

342. Brandie says:

Rest in Peace Lou Ferrigno.

343. Brandie says:

Sorry about that…Internet hoax.

I’m reading it’s a hoax.

I thought it was good radio. But it would be better if one guy wasn’t yelling over the other guy.

346. I’ll used “chirped” from now on. Fits in with the Twitter theme of the blogmaster and his allies.

347. Karen22 says:

Mercer is absolutely KILLING the Pirates. Really didn’t see this coming after last year. Worse than the pitcher’s spot…AND spotty defense at the most important position. How long can this go on?

Good seeing Milo, Brandie, Jim, Reverend, FLSteeler today.

Catch you guys, girls, creatures at the MLB draft. Can’t wait. Love me some prospects ! :)

349. Brandie says:

Good night her majesty’s hippo.

350. wvstarship says:

Actually it’s all 9, as the catcher’s box is considered fair territory.

351. Brandie says:

Rest in Peace Malcolm Glaser!

I thought it was good radio, too. I really didn’t notice any yelling. That’s just the way MM talks. And, surprising to me, I thought MM won this round, too. And, I was half right–they didn’t really talk Polanco. Half right means half wrong, too. They didn’t talk hockey.

I thought it was an interesting discussion.

:-D

I’m thinking this trip the club is on will pretty much tell us which way this season is going to go

Actually, this might be a good thing, either way, you (us fans) go all in with the club for this season, or you sigh and note its not gonna happen.

Being a dangling participle is not much fun.

That being said

Lets see where we are at midseason

356. It’ll be interesting to see which way we go at the deadline. Hopefully, we’ll be in a position to be buyers again.

Its not looking that way right now, Lucky

Its just a game. I tell myself that over and over, but it just does not take.

358. Hear that. Sometimes I think we fans put more stock in it than the guys that play the game. I know that’s ridiculous, but it sure seems that way at times.

Believe it or not, I put the stock in people I have met here like you.

That is why I keep the list.

That is why I keep coming back, folks like you and of course Dejan.

That is no BS.

And I for one am not ready to say 2014 is a wasted season yet

The fat lady doesn’t even know where to sit yet ;-)

360. Amen.

And thanks for all you do.

:D

361. Pirates should have been buyers in the offseason!!!!!!!

Their holes were predictable in Spring Training! (all except shortstop———I worried about it but I never saw it both NO hit and NO field!)

I have been saying since November that the Pirates need a Cleanup hitter. And a #1 Starter.

No, knucklehead ;-), I just post a list and get grumpy when I see posts that are nonsense, and break this place down, as I have seen before, well I speak.

You save lives and souls. I hope I will not go too far here

Now that has to be thankless, in a way, one does not know if they connected, or if they made a difference, but you know what?

Thank you for all you do, and continue to do, and continue to talk about in the best of ways

363. Can’t argue much with you on any of that post. Looks like Jordy may be paying a visit to the Hoosier state soon. Might be the best thing for him.

But they were not

Did you expect them to be so?

Just sayin

365. Appreciate that, Biz.

:D

Well, thank God Vernon Law is still alive

But he is no longer available.

I humbly pass

No, and not to be grumpy

Any appreciation is all towards you and your cadre of heros

I think one thing that is cool and I do not want to change is that folks like you do not/cannot/will not recognize the true things you add to our world.

Thanks again, I am going to bed

368. I expected them to get a 1st Baseman/Cleanup hitter.

Once they screwed up the AJ Burnett thing, I expected them to get a highly ranked Starter.

Remember, they got that extra $24 million from the national TV contract. Still saving it for a rainy day, while the crowds keep coming and spending because of presales. Pirates should be awash in cash, especially since they took Dejan’s advice not to spread $10-15 million over 4 season 3 YEARS FROM NOW to advance our Mike Trout or Puig.

Why spend the money on Polanco? He may not be as good as those two. Let’s wait to bring him up when Bucs are 10 games under and depressed and heartless!

Your moniker always brings back good memories, my Grandmother and Grandfather, riding on a trolley from Lincoln Place, Forbes Field and braunswager sandwiches

But these are not the good old days where we could constintaly sign The Great One fr less than 100k because he paid no taxes

Its just not gonna happen