Final: Kings 3, Rangers 2, OT, Stanley Cup final, Game 1

Looking ahead to faceoff …

Game 1: Los Angeles Kings vs. New York Rangers, Stanley Cup final

Time: 8:10 p.m.

Site: Staples Center, Los Angeles

TV, radio: NBC (national), 105.9 the X

Here’s the official live summary.

Here are TribLIVE’s Penguins page and our Chipped Ice blog.

Comments

1. NormL says:

Rangers in 7

2. I am so-o tired of hearing about how much better the West is. “Kings and Blackhawks was the real Stanley Cup Final.”

Flyers on paper were better than Rangers.
    Penguins on paper were definitely better than Rangers.
    Montreal on paper was better than Rangers, at least until Price got hurt.

So what if Kings are better than Rangers on paper. The game of hockey is not played on paper.

Go get ‘em, Rangers. Brick wall, Hendrick!!

3. Sarah says:

I hope you’re right Groat!

I dunno, though….LAK got it goin on…..

4. Yeah! They do play like hockey should be played.

Yet I must root for the team that beat my team!! Makes me feel better. And I am tired of hearing about the West.

5. Sarah says:

Oh I’m with you,rooting for the Rangers.

Though truth be told, if Hawks had win I’d root for them….they’re my second faves…..in wishbone Pens were more like them!….

I wonder if NYR can nab a game or two early while the Kings are still recovering from the stress of that WCF….

6. Eric Bowser says:

I will NEVER root for the New York Rangers to win Lord Stanley’s Cup and I like more of the players on the roster for the Kings.

Kings in 5

Conn Smythe – Marian Gaborik

Los Angeles in 5 games, 4-1.

Blueshirts steal a game at venerable MSG.

Conn Smythe: Drew Doughty becomes first blueliner to win it since Scott Niedermayer in 2007.

I would award Kathryn Tappen the Conn Smythe, but I already voted for her as the Hart winner.

9. Eric Bowser says:

She’s got the Lady Byng for sure….

10. Andrew says:

I’m hoping for Jeff Carter just for Flyers fans’ sake.

But Gaborik has been great and he really improved the Kings pedestrian scoring rate.

Won’t watch the Finals. Once the Pens were eliminated, I lost interest, but there was some great hockey played, especially in the semis.

Just think if Bylsma was let go last year after the Boston Massacre. The Pens could have hired Alain Vingault. All he has done is win. He took sofffff Vancouver teams deep into the playoffs (except one year, for which he got fired), and he has taken the Rangers, yes the Rangers to the Cup Final. Man can coach.

Oh, what could have been.

And someone please tell me the McGuire candidacy is a complete joke, and is alive just for conversation purposes?

12. Eric Bowser says:

Biggest joke is how fall the Penguins have fallen in terms of being THE example of a well run sports organization. What business doesn’t have succession planning in the event of different scenarios?

Poor business planning by Morehouse.

Pierre McGuire is less qualified than me to run the Penguins…. dead serious about that too.

Doc Emrick not announcing tonight. Death in the family. Anybody know what happened ?

14. Pierre McGuire is one of 5 contenders for the job at present. And I’d like to know who the other 4 are and what their chances are as well.

Oh, I know Eric.

Since last June, the Pens have kept a coach that totally lost the locker room, a GM that couldn’t draft a forward to save his life, gave out 3 bad contracts. Now McGuire is a serious candidate for the GM job.

I will lose a lot of respect for Mario if he hires his friend as GM.
    It simply cannot happen.
    Can’t. The organization would be doomed.

16. Eric Bowser says:

1. Julien Brisebois – Tampa Bay Assistant GM (my top candidate)
    2. Jason Botterill – Penguins Interim GM
    3. Tom Fitzgerald – Penguins Assistant GM
    4. Paul Fenton – Nashville Assistant GM

Here’s my write up on the Penguins GM candidates that I wrote on May 17th

I believe the longer this goes, stronger case will be made for Botterill or Fitzgerald to get the job. There’s a ton to do between now and June draft, then few days later for free agency on July 1.

Gretzky seriously looks like he could still play.

18. Sarah says:

McIver? Would explain the wait.

19. Eric Bowser says:

It could explain the wait but they need to get moving…

His father in law died.

Oh. Thanks, Milo. I was worried it was a child. Kenny Albert didn’t talk about it.

Rangers go up on Kings 1-0. Benoit Pouliot with the goal.

Kings look a bit sluggish. Maybe the two 7 game series have taken it out of them a bit. Too pooped to whoop.

Now a shorty for the Rangers by Hagelin. 2-0 Blueshirts.

Switching between Bucs and SCF missed the goal darn

With you on Brisebois

26. Eric Bowser says:

Here come the Kings… 2-1 Rags , Clifford goal (good work again from Jeff Carter)

Not sure how I ultimately feel about McGuire, but I do love he just gave major props to the Badgers. Can’t be all bad. lol.

28. Eric Bowser says:

What a beast, Drew Doughty

Doughty ties it. Conn Smythe, I tell you. Then does a chest bump with the glass behind the goal! Love that guy!

30. Stuart says:

Pirates pitch a combined one-hitter and lose 3-2. The hit was a bunt single. J Hay had 2 doubles and a triple. Cutch homered.

Stuart

31. DJ says:

Testing.

Just checking to see why no one’s posted since 9:37 p.m. during a terrific game.

32. BillyBaduka says:

Tough loss for Rangers after bring up 2-0.

What a great game. Great chances traded at end of 3rd.

+++

34. Well, it was the first winning road trip of this season and the Bucs did unexpectedly well, and now, hopefully, they’ll have a good series vs. the Brewers at home and get back into contention, even if it’s only for a lousy playoff spot. And the Kings and Rangers will likely take it down to the 7th game.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle | Flow Back