Morning Java: Questions? Complaints? Criticism?

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media

Morning, Lunatics …

>> You might have noticed CineSport videos on our site in recent weeks, some containing highlights and interviews of our local teams, others with work done by Trib staffers. I’ll be adding my own regular CineSport feature, cleverly titled, um, ‘Morning Java with DK.’

Hey, no one said it had to be original. And you’ll at least know where to find it Monday through Friday. Right here on this very blog post, as well as all the usual video spots on our site.

CineSport has columnists across the country doing stuff like this, including my hero Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Bernie says his readers seem to have enjoyed his feature almost as much as he has, and his word’s good enough for me.

>> The TribLIVE Radio show today — 2-3 p.m. — will open with your calls, and the topics, as always, are up to you.

I know better than to try to talk about the Pirates playing really well of late, because the world’s unhappiest fan base would rather be miserable about something or other barely related to baseball, but I’m open to that, too. Same with the Penguins’ eternal GM search, the Steelers at OTAs, you name it.

So do it. Call me at 412-320-7925.

Feel free to email sportstalk@tribweb.com if you can’t call. But I’d rather hear from you.

At 2:30, I’ll be joined by Josh Yohe, the Trib’s NHL beat writer, to talk about the Stanley Cup Final that opens tonight.

And at 2:45, we’ll have more wit and wisdom from our @SuckMeter.

To listen, just click the link up top. If you’re mobile, try the iPhone version or the Android version of the TribLIVE Radio app. Both are free and insultingly easy to use.

>> All the Pirates do is win, win, win, by Rob Biertempfel in San Diego.

Nuttings!

Jordy Mercer says his slump made him stronger, by Biertempfel.

A lower draft slot is no big concern, by Karen Price. She’ll be covering the draft for us, the first round of which comes Thursday night.

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page, our Bucco Blog and our photo gallery.

Here’s Padres news from the San Diego Union-Tribune.

Here are official game highlights on MLB.com.

>> The Penguins still don’t have a GM. Rob Rossi reports.

Honestly, this is starting to get bad. That’s all I’ll say for now. Well, that and the stuff in yesterday’s weekly chat.

A richly detailed breakdown of the Penguins’ defensemen and goaltenders, by Yohe.

Here’s TribLIVE’s Penguins page and our Chipped Ice blog.

Here are official game highlights on NHL.com.

>> Maurkice Pouncey is back, but not the technique that felled him. Alan Robinson reports from Day 4 of the Steelers’ OTAs on the South Side.

A Brett Keisel encore? Robinson looks into it.

Ike Taylor makes it. Mark Kaboly is on that.

Our panel tackled the Steelers’ remaining needs at wide receiver — Plaxico Burress? Santonio Holmes? — on WPXI-TV’s Subway Final Word Sunday night:

>> Hope to hear from you on the show! And thank you, as always, for reading.

Comments

1. Mizery says:

This winning streak by the Pirates has been fun. I need to find something about the Pirates to complain about. Maybe they’ll draft Daniel Moskos on Thursday.

2. david s says:

Maybe they’ll have Moskos announce the pick …

3. JoeyBats says:

…or, how about Bryan Bullington?

… or, Johnny Van Benschoten ?

AHHHHHHH, those were the days ;-)

BEAT ‘EM BUCS !!

One of the writeups I was reading had the Pirates selecting Jacob Gatewood, the high school SS from California @ their slot (#24 in Rd 1). Gatewood is rated # 22….in the 100 prospects tab:

Here’s the Jonathan Mayo writeup on him & others in case you are interested….

4. JoeyBats says:

…whoops…MY BAD….typo in the directions above.

…if you want to use the link and look at the 2014 DRAFT PROSPECTS ==> click on “200 DRAFT” ….Gatewood is # 22

I believe Jack Wilson is announcing the pick.

“…because the world’s unhappiest fan base would rather be miserable about something or other barely related to baseball,…”

I find a lot of things wrong with that.
    Is it the entire fan base – - or just that like to torment DK on twitter or follow misinformed media members? Why does every fan get lumped in to that group? And how is the topic of Polanco barely related to baseball?

I agree TC. I consider myself part of that fan base and I’m not miserable. Dejan needs to quit that chit. >:<

8. It’s no use being miserable about Pittsburgh sports teams since that changes and solves nothing, and the team owners and players don’t pay attention to that anyhow. And so, all us fans can really do is express our complaints, criticisms, and praise in these blogs and in tweets and hope for the best.

JAL’s Black Eyed Dog Morning Links

Pirates-Padres Game Preview

13 Chicago Sun Times

Cubs may announce parting with WGN Radio on Thursday

14 City of Champions

Surging Pittsburgh Pirates Are Due For More Offensive Outbursts

15 Pirates Site

Cole dominates as one-year anniversary approaches

Snider not looking over his shoulder for Polanco

16 Cincinnati Enquirer

Reds streak hits four with win over Giants

17 Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Yovani Gallardo has struggled since hot start to season

18 St. Louis Post Dispatch

Frustration mounts as Cards unravel

Strauss: Sinking Cards ‘still fighting for an identity

19 Fangraphs

The Road to the Draft

20 Baseball Prospectus

10 Draft Day What-Ifs

11. DJ says:

“The 2013 season was difficult for Pouncey for another reason: his brother Mike’s involvement in the Richie Incognito/Jonathan Martin harassment scandal controversy in Miami. Unflattering email exchanges between Mike Pouncey and Incognito were part of the Ted Wells’ report to the NFL . . . ‘I’m really, really close with him, and for them to keep torturing him like that, man, it’s terrible for him,’ Maurkice Pouncey said. ‘But he’s strong and motivated about things.’”

If I were Mike Pouncey, I’d be less concerned about any affiliation with Incognito/Martin than the Aaron Hernandez events. And the best approach for both brothers right now would be to shut the eff up.

Indeed!

13. DJ says:

The photo of Indiana catcher and projected Bucs pick Kyle Schwarber at the Karen Price link ( http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/6223989-74/draft-pirates-players ) reminds me of a younger, “lighter” Spanky.

Agreed. I don’t look at Dejan’s twitter replies to his comments very often. In fact, maybe only a few times, so I’m not sure what he is getting on that platform.

But, I do read this blog. There are many Penguin fans just as angst ridden. Besides, I think the Pirates stuff here from the commentators is fairly balanced. Like has been said many times, there are plenty of places to go to for cheerleading (Pirates official site, anyone ?).

I don’t think anyone would be reading you, Dejan, if you weren’t critical and fair. That’s what builds trust between writer and reader. So, I don’t think it’s fair to lump all Pirate fans into some fictitious category.

15. DJ says:

Maurkice used to be one of my favorite Steelers but he’s yapped himself out of a slot.

He and others would do well taking a page from Heath Miller. Play tough football, let your football do the talking and be gracious to all you encounter. Wishful thinking, right?

16. DJ says:

I recall DK said they were very proud of our “little world” so it can’t possibly be this blog.

Right? RIGHT?! Hey, I’m not defensive . . . you defensive?

Agreed on all points. I dunno what it is with the younger athletes/stars these days…

LOL! Quit yelling at me! >:<

:P

19. Karen22 says:

Sure has been nice to wake up to Pirates’ Left Coast wins lately!

But no GM?? This is beyond absurd at this point…

20. chethejet1 says:

Draft fixations are pitching and more pitching for buccos. Steelers linebackers and Pens under Shero Defense men. So my guess is the Pirates draft a non pitcher, the Steelers a corner and the Pens a forward just to change it up this year.

21. DJ says:

Hey, Jands, I made a single comment yesterday about wanting Cutch to hit better with the bases full and was labeled a malcontent.

This “little world” is hilarious!

Since I seem to doze off & on during these West Coast games I went back and watched some of it online this morning.

That little shove by Melancon was interesting.

And Grilli looked great. Very sharp. That change-up he threw for strike 3 to the first batter was filthy.

OK…off to doze off at my desk at work!

Day before the MLB Draft and this is pretty much the first time anyone has bothered to discuss.

And we’re Pirate fans.

This is a brave new world we live in.

24. Joe D says:

I don’t think that Pirates fans are the world’s unhappiest fan base, I think that it is more cynical. After being beat down by losing for 20 consecutive years, fans automatically wait for the other shoe to drop when things are going good.

As for the people trolling DK, I think that those people aren’t fans. They want the Pirates to lose so that the Nutting’s will sell the team.

25. DJ says:

I thought Melancon was intent on making a firm tag, that’s all. Limp wrist and a “supple” glove don’t cut it there.

That said, maybe a Padres pitcher throws at someone’s head tonight. Anything to get them motivated.

I think it is fairly obvious that Dejan understands every single Pirate fan in the world isn’t in that category.

Does every line in a Blog really need qualified with an explanation of exemptions?

I agree 100% with what he said, in the context he said it. We’re all lying to ourselves if we think that no less than half the calls he gets will be Nutting-related. I’m sick of it, and he is too.

27. DJ says:

Normally I’d say Marte’s one at bat last night would justify another game viewed from the bench.

But then I watched Snider play.

28. twentytwo22 says:

Sweep! movement.

With a win today they will negate, to an extent, another disastrous series from their slow start and get closer to level ground.

0-3 v Milwaukee
    1-3 v Milwaukee
    1-3 v Cincinnati
    0-2 v Baltimore

3-1 v Washington
    3-1 v Los Angeles

It’s not the same because of who they lost to, but you want to be on the positive side of these.

Listen to the show today and report back to us with that percentage if it’s 50% or not

30. Baywatch says:

Marte is preparing the way for JHay’s next full-time position when Polanco comes up!

31. Botherhood of the Redus says:

In defense of DK…his twitter feed is generally full of morons

Rockies starting pitcher Franklin Morales hasn’t been a full time starter since 2008 and owns an ERA over 6 this year.

Completely coincidentally, top prospect Eddie Butler will be Major League ready this Friday.

Also don’t be surprised if the Super 2 date turns out to have already occured. Cards called up their top prospect Oscar Taveras last weekend, and they’re not dumb.

So freaking defensive.

He’s a writer, NMR. He chooses his words, phrases upon reflection. Or, at least he should. That was a lumping statement if I ever saw one.

You’re lying to yourself if you think Dejan is wrong.

It’s a Blog, John. Not a dissertation.

LOL yes I stuck up for you, too. But I think Naje was directing that more to Bowser and Ryan (Stlrfnt). He admitted as much :)

But yeah…we’re all miserable malcontents :P

I dunno. Seemed there was something extra there. Maybe it goes back a ways.

hey, it’s “our little world”

;)

I’m just glad someone is trying to get Marte’s attention.

It was very uncalled for. Sorry.

But ya know what? it really doesn’t bother me. I like to poke fun, and I also poke fun at myself, so I can poke Dejan as well. I actually understand that he’s sick of it. Hell, I get sick of it too.
    OK, nuff said, carry on :)

Professional writer, NMR. Paid for his choice of words-on any platform. These, yes even blog entries, are not e-mails to personal friends. They are ideas thrown out by a compensated opinion maker into market place of speech. Fair game for purchase or rejection.

Looking at it a couple of times it looked like the Padre was lifting his arm to possibly make contact. It also looked like Melancon was making sure the ball was going to be secure in his glove with the tag

45. Nate83 says:

In my opinion Marte will get many more chances to be the everyday left fielder before any other person starts taking that spot daily for an extended time. His defense alone makes him almost as valuable as JHay even when he is struggling like he is right now.

I’m thrilled to have JHay on the team and his play this year makes me feel much better about the Pirates bench but if he is playing left field in the majority of remaining games I will be disappointed and don’t have much hope for the Pirates chances this year.

46. JACK WILSON, FREDDIE PATEK, JIM MORRISON, GARY REDUS, MARLON BYRD, DON LEPPERT DAYS [2] UNTIL GREGORY POLANCO MAKES A SUBSTANTIAL LEAP IN PLAY AND IS “READY” TO BE A MAJOR LEAGUER FOR THE PIRATES

{because NOW is never as important as 6-7 seasons from NOW}

47. DJ says:

Agreed, TC. Mark was leaving nothing to chance.

48. I’m convinced that cutoff date has already occurred . . . . . but BMTIB likes a week buffer to be conservatively sure.

BMTIB’s conservativism makes Fox News look liberal!

Wrong about what? The fan base?

Because I agree with DK in regards to Polanco

I only saw it once or twice. Could be the something “extra” I saw was a reaction to something (I think it was Cabrera) did at the time. Seemed to surprise the announcers.

51. First time in a decade that a significant portion of Pirates’ best players were not still toiling on high school and college diamonds.

Defensive about what? I don’t like when DK makes those types of general statements.

Maybe I’ll try to call into his show today, apologize, and compliment the sweater that he has on

53. DJ says:

Very professional, workmanlike performance by Cole last night although only 5 and 2/3 innings.

Seemed like he knew 95 mph was more than enough so no need to showcase the top end. Free and easy striding while mixing pitches and another step in his maturation.

54. Dom says:

I wonder how our good buddy Bud Selig feels that we’re apparently about to promote Polonaco literally the day or so after the super 2 date.

You’d think the players union would have been more vocal in expressing their displeasure with the situation. I certainly feel that they have legitimate grief.

55. Nate83 says:

They are not dumb. The funny thing is they are getting praised national for disregarding Super 2 and bringing him up already. All they really did is probably be a little riskier then the Pirates and bring him up closer to the cutoff. They also had injuries involved with Adams going on the DL otherwise they may have waited another week. Tavaras was also on the very best prospect list longer then Polanco. Polanco has had a medioric rise through the rankings. You could argue Tavaras had less to prove going into this year and therefore what the Cards did with Tavaras is worse then what the Pirates did with Polanco if you think what they did is wrong (which I dont’).

Both teams handled the situation exactly the same with one of them because of injury taking a bigger risk on the exact cutoff date for Super 2. Nobody will remember this two years from now when neither player makes Super 2. The Cards will still care about winning and the Pirates will still be cheap.

Remember that week where everyone thought Emilio Bonifacio was a good baseball player?

I’ll buy you a beer if we’re having where-will-Josh-Harrison-play conversations this time next month.

You do not know the Super 2 date, Dom.

Agreed. I’ve said my piece and respect everyone’s opinion. Now can we actually talk baseball?

And it sure as hell better not be shortstop. Indefensible decision, no pun intended.

They bargained for the increased percentage (22%) of players subject to it last contract. They are well aware of what’s going on. And if they get the amo they think they can win on, they’ll grieve it. They haven’t yet. This isn’t new.

How ’bout that Tigers’ bullpen?

:D

62. What have they won, 1 game since his call-up?

63. “I know better than to try to talk about the Pirates playing really well of late, because the world’s unhappiest fan base would rather be miserable about something or other barely related to baseball”

Just a sideleaf opinion:

1/ Dejan used to spend more time reading and responding here, with knowledgeable/lunatic (his name for us) fans.

2/ He has chosen (or slipped) to surround himself with tweets/twits/idiots. We should invite him back to the Promised Land Asylum. Rescue him from those whose IQ’s are half of their 140 characters.

3/ Or . . . the above quote is more reflective of the writer rather than his readers.

4/ Now if he had made the above comment about Penguin fans who congregate here, I might tend to agree . . . .

I think the Pirates did the same thing with Cole last year. Probably brought him up a few days earlier than they liked to be perfectly safe, but moved it up a little because of injuries.

The Cardinal Way hype machine has reached laughable proportions. I caught a bit of the game on ESPN Sunday night, I believe, and learned that Randal Grichuk is a top outfield prospect.

The same Randal Grichuk you never heard about as a member of the Angels organization last year.

66. I am so so afraid that your very premise is coming!

67. Now, if he can go deeper than the 6th inning and take some pressure off the bullpen, he’ll really have matured.

Disclaimer: I am NOT unhappy or miserable in any way, shape or form.

DK is a pot stirrer and should be in our group.

68. Reading says:

Let’s see, the last time the Pirates won the World Series, I was in 11th grade. I’m now 51. In between, 20 losing seasons in a row. No, there is certainly no valid reason for Pirates fans to be miserable. Disgruntled maybe. But not miserable.

:thwap:

The guy’s the real deal. Thought that from the first game I saw him. Very mature. I liked this quote in RB’s story from Clint:

“There comes a point in some games when he says: ‘That’s enough.’ He’s the first guy I’ve had who’s had that emergency brake.”

What? Another group???

Say it ain’t so!

;)

Hahaha…

You don’t find it the least bit ironic that your very first post of the day was one you’ve copied and pasted every day for the last month and ends in “becuase NOW is never as important as 6-7 seasons from now”.

Here’s your sign.

Bravo, Groat. :-)

Isn’t it funny Lucky how the game is still about wins and losses.

Maybe we should be reminded of that every once in a while.

75. Nate83 says:

It’s no different then the love/hate fans have for Pedro. I prefer to stay in the middle on him and never get to excited or to upset about his performance because I know about where he will end up.

Speaking of overreaction to a 20 game hot streak. Remember when Chris Shelton was the next Albert Pujols and the Pirates where so stupid for giving that guy away.

+++

77. He was around quite a bit last week and even posted some of that Twitter stuff on here. Then he lit out again.

I am definitely unhappy about the Pens losing to a “wretched” team that is actually in the finals and I’m just a casual fan, along for the ride on that front.

LOL!

stinks. ;)

80. Poole says:

Interesting tweet from Rossi…. (paraphrasing)

Rangers GM would ‘not even consider’ letting anyone interview during Stanley Cup Playoffs. So the Pens would have to hold out for Jeff Gorton and might have only gotten to talk to Norm Maciver after the Hawks were eliminated. Seems like this could be a legit reason for the delay…still frustrating at this point…

eh…should have been decided just after Shero was fired. Not like one didn’t see it coming…but..what do I know?

“Now can we actually talk baseball?”

No, we’re too unhappy.

(Sorry, it was there, I just had to take it).

:-D

83. The Gunner says:

Mercer is starting to come alive bat-wise so maybe the J-Hey @ SS won’t happen. However, if Marte continues to struggle, could the plan be J-Hey in RF with Polanco (when he arrives) shifting to LF?

FWIW, I respect that opinion, John, and I’ve even made the same argument before.

But I value Dejan’s candor in all his secondary, non-column outlets. He treats us as equals. He’s comfortable with off-the-cuff comments. It’s part of his charm.

And no, we’re not all going to agree with every one of them.

This large grin was in response to “stinks ;)

86. SeanAY says:

Many people think The Beatles are the greatest rock band ever, for a variety of reasons.

Many people also think Ringo Starr is a poor drummer.

Do people have to say, “The Beatles, maybe the greatest band ever…with the exception of Ringo?”

87. The Gunner says:

Hey Groat

Don Leppert hit a HR in his 1st major league at bat, you know.

88. Nate83 says:

It’s comparable to the Patriot way which is also laughable. It was assumed the Patriots could take any player and reform them into their style of play and make them a productive player. They have missed on plently of free agents and have had many players have problems with the law. There is no formula that works their is Tom Brady and the Patriots where so smart they waited until the 6th round to pick him.

I know this will anger some but I’m also tired of the Steelers being referred to as a class organization throughout the league. I’m sure they do some things well and I respect the Rooneys and love the Steelers but they have just as many warts as other teams if not more.

89. SeanAY says:

I was going to contribute that fact as my gripe as part of the most miserable fan base in sports.

“These freaking Pirates. They just HAD to win 94 games and go to the playoffs last year. Now there’s NO WAY they’ll get an elite prospect in this draft!”

(For the record, I thought was DK said/tweeted last night on the subject of the fanbase was very astute.)

90. Don’t see a correlation at all, Bill Engvalt!

I have been consistent in my posting for 5 weeks, during which time the Pirates went through long stretches when they could not score and could not catch the ball. They were 8 games under .500 . . . . or was it 9?

Just because Pirates have hit a hot streak and have progressed to 2 games UNDER .500, am I wrong for suggesting that during the last 5 weeks the Pirates did not put their best 8 players under contract on the field.

91. Tom P. says:

Interesting article by David Schoenfeld of ESPN.com re: the parity in baseball so far this season. It points out that most teams have a few warts on them, including the Tigers bullpen as referenced above. Thus, it may take longer than usual to separate the wheat from the chaff this year.

Pirates waited for Clint. I’m glad they didn’t settle for Banny because of timing. JMO

93. Poole says:

You know the same that we all know, nothing :-)

If one of those guys is truly their target and becomes a star GM, then its worth the wait. Otherwise, we are wasting valuable time. So many decisions to be made, not the least of which is Letang’s NTC kicking in in 25 days.

But I agree, one would hope that there was a plan in place and candidates in mind before Ray was even fired.

94. Big time truth, JandyGirl!

“And if you’re scoring at home, they’re now 18-10 in the past full month, 10-4 in their past 14, two games under .500 and two out of a National League wild-card berth.”

96. Poole says:

Also, I’ve got to say my trust in Mario/Burkle/Morehouse is pretty low right now. From the strange “Shero is fired but Bylsma is not” press conference to interviewing guys like Pierre McGuire and Jim Rutherford…UG.

97. Nastynate82 says:

It may not be an attention thing. I wonder if his back is bothering him. Actually Marte’s May numbers aren’t too bad.

98. Don Leppert———good guy to stand behind during a bench clearing brawl

99. SeanAY says:

Lot of hate for Twitter here, huh?

I don’t get it, but I’m not shocked, if that makes sense.

100. Dejan Kovacevic says:

I love you.

101. Dejan Kovacevic says:

And you.

Really nice to see Mercer hit the last two nights, Gunner.

Now let’s see if he’s able to do it against Major League pitching.

103. Nastynate82 says:

Thank you for the Steelers comment. The self-righteousness from fanbases (cardinals, steelers, patriots etc.) is just kind of laughable. Organizations who are generally well run like those teams seem to equate that success with some sort of moral superiority.

awww..it’s a man-crush <3

Another man crush <3

106. Dejan Kovacevic says:

How much of that is him, and how much bus brother? Line seems to blur.

107. Dom says:

I heard on the news this morning that he could be up on Friday. If true, he would have been promoted on the sixth day of the month. You’re right, I don’t know the date but it is in June, correct? Plus, we’re relatively sure it wasn’t the first few days on the month. Making it as conspicuous as possible that we waited till the date passed until we moved him on up. But we all knew that anyways.

Well stated and counter-argued, my right honorable friend!

Sometimes it’s better not to know very much lol

I’m disappointed nothing is settled at this busy time…draft, free agency, etc.
    Stinks ;)

+++, Osh.

111. The Gunner says:

Yep – he was a Marine & he was a brawler. A good guy who coached for the Pirates for a few years after his playing days were over.

112. Kentuck Knob,

A better player never guarantees that the team will win.

A better player just guarantees that the team will have a better chance to win.

Otherwise, the Dodgers would be undefeated. Dat’s why de play de games!!!

You can make the check out to “Cash”. ;)

114. Maz in Iowa says:

Not sure I agree about the ” world’s unhappiest fan base”.Prolly writing too much into it …….I guess.Of course I check out comments from Phillie/Yankee fans in articles on espn and those peeps are NEVER happy.meh

115. “A hot streak that leaves the team still UNDER .500 does not belie $$$ over victories.”

Totally agree. No reason for Cabrera to lift his left arm there.

I think about that every once in a while too AW.

118. Wilver Dornel,

Excellent call!

119. The Gunner says:

Now now, NMR – we have to be positive about Mercer. Or else J-Hey will land @ SS. As long as J-Hey is productive, I think he can get more playing opportunities in RF, 3B, & 2B.

120. Karen22 says:

Awwwwwwwwwwww…that’s sweet, DK!

;)

121. Karen22 says:

LOL!

Reading Twitter comments is worse than reading online newspaper comments.

Quite literally makes me question bringing children into this world.

123. Botherhood of the Redus says:

I’ve had a rough day and I hateThe Eagles man

lol

125. Agree. Low percentage of sanity on there.

Woah!

You guys are making me glad I don’t tweet….

127. Double amen. (In other words, so be it x super 2)

128. Sarah says:

I’d be very happy w McIver

129. So be it X Super 2. Made me chuckle.

+++

131. I follow a few people on there, J-girl, and it takes me about 2 minutes to check up on their main tweets. My only comments back have been to DK about pix he’s posted. Some are over-the-top excellent.

Some good material from DK, Travis, 24/7 and some of our blog friends like John In Oshkosh, Ryan and Chris Walton. Other than that, you can phone the rest in for my part.

You that are on Facebook are better off, IMHO than messing around tweeting.

132. Summer Swimmer,

Let’s wait for the hire to be announced before we get our noses out of joint.

A rushed decision frequently is a poor decision.

It doesn’t matter who they interview: it matters who they hire.

I’m not even sure how good he is. I think the “Pouncy is the second coming of Mike Webster” stuff from his rookie year was overblown. I’m probably in the minority on that, but I think sometimes reputation tends override reality for some players.

Well, it’s certainly not out of line to hate The Eagles. On this, no reasonable minds can differ: dreadfully awful band. :)

135. Stuart says:

Talk about priceless!…”Dejan used to spend more time reading and responding here, with knowledgeable/lunatic (his name for us) fans.
    Now he spends more time reading/responding on twitter, where a Kardasian is considered a deep thinker and where fingers move before minds are engaged.” Groat is right on on this point.

I know It is necessary to his employment for Dejan to be literate in all kinds of social media. I also know that once in a while you have to step back a little to evaluate if your participation in anything is worth your spending time at it. We know Dejan is smarter than a Kardashian. BTW, I “follow” DK on Twitter, hoping to get important sports news there first, like what’s happening on the GM search. I’ve had a personal Twitter account for about four years. During that time, I have “tweeted” exactly twice. It would be nice if twitter could be used more for real “breaking news” rather than what Kim says about anything. Too much chaff, and too little wheat on tweetland.

Stuart

136. Lad 9 says:

It has been awhile since we have had a good Tiger’s bullpen discussion. Not a Fred Gladding/John Hiller/Willie Hernandez while, but still a while. So how about that Al Alburquerque and his balk off loss? :)

I use FB as it easier to keep in touch with my daughters and lot of my friends all over the world. I never had time to get into twitter. I am now thankful I didn’t lol.

I think he was just making sure he made the tag and held the ball. It had to be firm. I thought the Padres player wanted to make something of nothing. Fortunately, he came to his senses quickly as Melancon just went back to the mound to dominate the next hitter.

Makes two of us :)

140. Dom says:

I like it how Shoenfield points out that MLB still lacks revenue equality.

Although there are a lot of teams in the playoff hunt, it doesn’t take away from the fact the league is a joke.

Problem is, Groat, whoever is hired, is going to have to make rush decisions.
    That is the conundrum.

sometimes it works out.

143. Exceptionally well-stated, Stuart.

He absolutely cannot spend any sort of meaningful time at SS or LF in PNC. But, filling for Pedro or Walker against LHP – ok by me.

LMAO!

I only followed one person on Twitter for a period of time and that was Dejan when he was the beat writer. Good information all the time and it came quickly and constantly. I loved getting things like lineups when I was out of town and other news. Now I follow nobody because there’s nobody worth following for me.

147. Read Stuart’s post below. Says exactly how I feel and I believe you probably would, too, if you were on there.

ditto!

I thought it was because of Adams’ injury, the fact that Greichuk (sp) stinks so far, and that they are still planning to send Taveras back? I heard all those things about Tavares’ recall.

you’re right Spunkster!

Dom, do you think all franchises should cost the same when you buy them, regardless of which market they are in?

It’s all about who you follow. I got on twitter this year.
    I get lots of great news on there. I follow a lot of baseball beat writers, columnists, and ‘baseball experts’

153. There are some worth following like DK’s wife who never posts anything.

;)

Amen, NMR! The Cards are always right. And, when they aren’t right, they’re still right. That is the popular take from MLB pundits.

It is hard to argue with their track record of success. But, that track record doesn’t make all their current decisions flawless.

155. Maz in Iowa says:

Now if you really wanted to see the ” world’s unhappiest fan base”think of all those gun toting Texans wanting their pizzas and Baywatch being 20 minutes on the deliveries. :) :)

here’s an interesting take on who has what edge for the SC Finals:

I believe Chuck Tanner did also. Right, Gunner?

Love that Clemente/Prince avatar, btw.

LOL!!!!!!!!

Don’t get me wrong, Jandy. Twitter, as a platform for exchanging information, is incredible.

Instead of reading one local paper delivered each day, I can have half a dozen papers around the country bring their content TO ME in the form of links that I can quickly choose to read or not. Plus sports, business, music, and any other of my interests. I couldn’t imagine learning as much as I do on a daily basis without it.

But the comments to those articles from random people hiding behind anonymous handles? Truly, truly makes me question the people around me on a day to day basis.

160. Maz in Iowa says:

I get an image of Yosemite Sam

161. SeanAY says:

From a work standpoint, Twitter is COMPLETELY INVALUABLE to us in spreading our message to our fans.

In a nine-day stretch this past March, Western Michigan men’s basketball reached 3.11 million people on Twitter. That is more than quadruple the reach we had for the rest of the year combined. Now, this was mitigated by the NCAA Tournament appearance, but we actually reached more people in three days in the conference tournament than we did in the week leading up to the game.

From a personal standpoint, I love using Twitter as a news aggregator. I follow writers like DK, Bob McKenzie, Ken Rosenthal, Alan Robinson, Ed Bouchette, etc. for up to the minute updates on what is going on. There are so many news pieces that I wouldn’t typically see if not for the links these guys post on Twitter.

For example, I don’t listen to TribLIVE Radio all the time. When DK posts a link on Twitter to him on Junker and Laird, that’s usually the first time I’ve seen it, and then I turn it on.

She is absolutely stunning.

I like Cole also. I think he is close to taking it to another level.

But, in fairness, he’s also the only one who’s emergency break includes reaching back for 98 when he needs it.

164. Lad 9 says:

+ 3. Bravo Stuart.

I’ts possible…but if he’s hurt, then he should still sit out for a bit…either way…

166. Botherhood of the Redus says:

I would also like to point out that Marte may not be 100% right between the hand and back…getting him as much time off as is reasonable while not completely removing him from the lineup on back to back days is a decent plan of action…the best way to stay in baseball shape while getting right is to actually play baseball

You’re doing it right.

:snicker:

169. Stuart says:

Aw shucks

Stu

170. Botherhood of the Redus says:

Redus

Gotcha, NMR. Problem is, Twitter doesn’t make it to my work comp…and there is so little time in the evening with being domesticated and helping hubby with his business.

But from your comments and SeanAY’s I can see how it could be good…you just gotta choose what you see and what you block/ignore.

Just to clarify …

The Bucs are playing well, and I love it. But, they have not gone 18-10. Their low point in terms of games under .500 this year has been -8 on a couple of occasions. I recall 10-18. They have gone 18-12 since then.

They have also won 10 of 14 now, going back to the 2nd game of the Baltimore series at PNC, which means they were also -8 before that win with a 18-26 record.

Of course, maybe I have my facts messed up.

173. Botherhood of the Redus says:

Everyone is a comedian on twitter #fartjokes

Redus, Bro, you desperately need an avatar!

ha! Priceless!

176. Agree. Maximized efficiency in Sean’s position.

Much better use than reading Kim or Ocho Cincho’s RT’s, etc.

177. Botherhood of the Redus says:

Great point 21…an MLB franchise has the potential to generate revenue 81 time per season in a particular city through direct customer contact….LA and Milwaukee should never be confused in that regard

178. Maz in Iowa says:

HOW about some good draft picks tomorrow and a Polanco call up/start on Saturday to placate my unhappiness?That WOULD put a smile on my face.Even more so if the Bucs sweep those rat b——d Brewers

179. Maz in Iowa says:

Really?Moss on the front page of espn and it’s because he hit 2 more HRs!! :(

180. Dom says:

Nope. I was referring to payroll. It’s fine by me if the Yankees are worth more than the Buccos.

Maybe we don’t need a salary cap but the league should have adequate revenue sharing by now.

181. SeanAY says:

Well, that’s just like, your opinion, man.

I’ve got information, man! New $%*! has come to light!

182. Dom says:

We’re much better than anyone on twitter!

darn right, Domster!!!

As for unhappiness among the Pirates faithful, I think there’s truth to that. But, I would offer the following perspective. They lost for 20 straight years, then had a terrific season, then started out this year 10-18 when it was expected they would contend. That will sour some otherwise sunny people. I think Steelers, Penguins or any other city’s fan base would be a bit unhappy at the prospect of getting kicked back to the curb of losers when you thought your team had finally shed that distinction. On balance, I think most of the Bucco fans here have things in perspective.

I do, think, however that a large contingent of otherwise sane Pirates fans can’t seem to get past certain issues with the owner and president of the team. I’m not saying there are not real issues to be frustrated with. We all know that. But, I think it does keep those folks from enjoying good baseball at times if they connect every bad game to evil ownership intent.

And, believe me, I’m not talking about folks here. I’m talking about some of the responses DK receives when he tweets some of the most harmless comments about a Pirates game.

185. SeanAY says:

Twitter doesn’t have to be about what a celebrity says if, you know, you don’t follow celebrities on Twitter.

With you about the payback for the Brewers. They have owned us this year.

187. Nate83 says:

I thought that number of 18-10 was incorrect as well. That would mean they had been 10 below at some point and I don’t think they ever dipped below 8 below.

You are correct they are playing great right now. I was thinking when they lost the double header to Baltimore that if they could somehow struggle back to .500 by the all star break I would be thrilled. They have already taken a big chunk out of that deficit. A win today would put them in the same discussion as the Nationals, Dodgers, Cards and Reds as teams that where expected to be better but have struggled a little bit. I wouldn’t be surprised if 87 or 88 wins is enough to win the Central this year. The Cards have issues which me and others pointed out before the year began and if they have any injuries to their pitching I don’t think they run away with the division.

very balanced perspective, Jimster

Thanks, Jandy.

190. I like the way you use it as you described above. I don’t have need of it that way. We put all our Sunday AM messages on a blog and on Facebook. Twitter doesn’t work for that.

I respect the way you use it. All the bubble gum stuff on there is tiring to me.

191. SeanAY says:

Although you COULD pioneer the art of the 140-character sermon. Think of the challenge!

I would do that TC but don’t you get a lot of nonsense too? That’s where I’m impatient. I just want news and that’s where I think I would enjoy Twitter if I took the time to figure out who to follow.

193. Maz in Iowa says:

I like the evil ownership thingy. :)

I think Twitter is a great tool for journalists and anyone marketing a product.

195. :D

I couldn’t even say “Good to have you with us this morning” before I’d have to “begin” to close.

No room for 3 points and a poem.

I agree that our division and the WC are wide open, Nate. This is not last year, where a handful of teams dominated the NL. There are a ton of teams still alive. Thankfully, the Bucs have not played well, overall, but are still among those teams.

197. Patrick(RI) says:

Late to the action. For some reason, I find myself sleeping late these past few days. A couple of points which I hope are not regarded as unreasonable criticism:

I have been dumb enough to sit through a couple of really awful games, recently. And I complained about them.

A spin on Groats point “$ over wins” — it sure seems more like common sense over a few potential wins, but I agree with him re Twitter.

Finally, if you want an example of a more unhappy fan base, inflamed by the media, I give you the following local headline: RED SOX BLOW A CHANCE. This coming after a 7 game winning streak, during which youngsters, Boegart and Holt went nuts.

Don’t know how to define adequate revenue sharing Dom. I think it’s a real difficult issue.

I don’t like that the teams aren’t on equal footing financially but at the same time, why penalize those that are smart with their money and why penalize those that pay more for their teams?

I bet the fans in New York don’t want a salary cap as much as fans in small markets want one. That’s why I don’t have a problem with the current system. I don’t want to be a hypocrite in this area. A plus for me is how satisfying last year was on that payroll. The downside of course is 20 years of losing but that didn’t have to be either. And I realize which teams are winning the World Series these days.

Just a lot of tough issues, IMO.

199. Chuck Tanner——1st pitch he saw in Majors.

I think the Rangers might win 1, Jandy.

All the air has been taken out of Chicago as far as hockey goes. I can no longer find anyone who has anything to say about the NHL playoffs. It was all anyone talked about all of last year and up until last weekend this year. Seems like some folks in Pittsburgh remain fans of the sport after we get ousted. Here? Crickets. I think that makes the large majority of Hawks fans just fans of their team because it’s cool, and not really fans of the sport.

The Cubs are set to announce tomorrow that their radio game broadcasts will be switched from WGN radio to WBBM.

This is pretty big sports news out here. Chicago is the de facto capital of the greater Midwest. As a kid growing up in rural Iowa, it was my desire to journey to Chicago to see the bright lights, big city. Much as kids in the East have probably long desired to pilgrimage to Manhattan. For many of us, WGN and the Cubs broadcasts, transported us to the City of Big Shoulders. My Dad used to come in from the fields many times and listen to the games because we could get clear station WGN, even in the daytime.

Just another change. I get sick, sometimes, of dealing with change.

Oh, and some of the writers (Paul Sullivan, for example) are already ripping the Cubs for making the announcement the same day as the draft. Theo must be drawing from the Pirates school of public relations: make controversial announcements during strategically planned moments.

What if some of us are here and on twitter? Just like, what if some of us are fans of the Steelers, Pens, and Bucs?

203. Their draft board is already made. They have to go with the scouts “what brung ‘em.”

It will only take the new General Manager 2 days to add his own insight/direction after digesting what the scouts bring to the table/board.

Don’t worry . . . . be happy!

+++, Sarah and Jandy.

205. Maz in Iowa says:

Nibbling Frankie OR down the middle Frankie?Sounds like nibbling Frankie might be a real good thing.The bats seem to be coming alive as well.

That’s what I’ve been saying. Could be a Hawks guy or a Kings guy are very much in the running.

207. I don’t know your Twitter handle, Jim, or I would follow you. And I wouldn’t blame you if you didn’t publish it.

208. Spurgeon said, “Sermonettes are for Christianettes!”

209. And he was right.

Mine run around 45 minutes, give or take. I grew up in a church where, if the minister went over 20 minutes, people would start fake snoring to get him to stop. Really got the Word into their hearts.

210. Dom says:

I don’t know of an exact revenue sharing percentage but when the end result is that the highest payrolls in baseball are not more than double that of the 20th highest, then we’re off to a good start.

I wouldn’t look at revenue sharing as penalizing those teams that make money. These teams might be individual businesses but they shouldn’t be looked at as different businesses competing against one another. They’re not like Pepsi vs. Coke. Every team needs every other team for survival so it’s not fair that some teams should have more to use on the field than others. The Yankees aren’t making shrewd business decisions to generate more than $300 million in one year. They’re simply luck to be based in the largest US market. The NHL has had revenue sharing for years and it never bothered me that the Pens are sharing more than receiving. It’s done so for the sake of the game.

21, you know as well as anyone that our owners are not pocketing tens of millions a year, so how can you like the current system when the Pirates are going to be losing Pedro in the next few years but the Yankees were financially able to keep Jeter from his rookie season till his retirement?

+++ on WGN, Osh. I’m not a Cubs fan, but WGN is the Cubs for me. TV and Radio.

KMOX is the Cards. WLW is the Reds. KDKA is the Pirates. WGN is the Cubs. Things change, I guess.

212. Nutting would have to improve to be considered “evil” by me.

A businessman, not a sports fan. Bottom line over win column.

Donald Sterling with no tie. Cares not about winning——just being seen at the games or considered in the “Fraternity of Owners.”

Surrounded by “yes” men.

Lucky:

You could simply use a tweet to direct folks to the blog and FB. Just a thought.

214. Ala DK.

Good idea, Jim.

I’m not an exciting follow, Lucky. I use it mainly for news. And, I get sports updates from guys like DK, Rob, Travis, plus other writers and some of the Pirates Prospects guys, etc. I don’t follow celebs or care what they tweet. I find I like them less when I read their opinions. I don’t often get time to check my timeline until the evening.

The most fun I have with it is when I’m watching the Bucs. I respond quite often to tweets from Travis and DK because it makes the game more fun for me when I can interact with them and comment on observations they have. In that way, it’s a real-time version of this blog for me.

216. Oshkosh b’Gosh,

WOW! I cannot believe Cubs are leaving WGN. I listened there in Iowa also. I still pick up the Cubs on my car here in PA late at night sometimes if Bucs aren’t on.

Next you are going to tell me they’re installing lights in Wrigley.

By “real-time,” I meant while the game is actually going on. I don’t often come on the game threads because I find it cumbersome while I am watching the game on TV.

I like the current system because I’d have a tough time telling a company, any company regardless of their competition, how much they can and cannot spend. It’s un-American to me. I realize that Wal Mart doesn’t compete with the corner grocery store and that professional sports are different. But whatever the owners and Union agree to with me is fine. If they ultimately have a salary cap at some point in the future, I have no complaints.

I’m not a big fan of revenue sharing for the same reason but the financials showed me that without revenue sharing, a bunch of baseball teams would fold.

You should.

;-)

220. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Has “Lucky” Pierre McGuire been hired yet?

Don’t know how I could have forgotten but Happy National Running Day everyone!

Exactly. He’ll hype his next appearance, his column link, etc.

And, from your perspective, I think it could have some value in spreading quick messages. I know my wife follows the Pope. She finds his tweets uplifting and inspirational – in 140 characters.

223. Maz in Iowa says:

Or charging to watch games on nearby rooftops!!

Take out the “happy” part. Know your audience, 26.2! :-)

225. Will you marry me, NMR?

Absolutely, and good for you for spending your time where it matters!

Or, fighting with the locals about planned upgrades to the stadium.

228. Dom says:

Their material greatly improves when posting on here as oppose to twitter. Countless studies have shown this.

229. At least they don’t have a big Super Screen electronic Scoreboard!

He’s got a head problem, too, Redus. Three games in a row he made mental errors. This isn’t just an injury issue.

231. Dom says:

I’ve taken part in the holiday by running my mouth all day long.

232. I’ll watch and see if I can spot you on there.

233. If only I could get the name of the message and a link on there, that would about fill it.

I know what you mean about your wife following the Pope. I used to follow Michael McKenry and Paul Maholm and a couple ex-Bucs that are Christians and they’d post good stuff along with scriptures included. Probably still do, just can’t follow the current team hype. But they are good follows.

234. Maz in Iowa says:

LOL!At least you aren’t unhappy

They might win 2. I just don’t think they can win it all. But I’ve been wrong before…

236. According to DK, he has as much chance as LuckyNKentucky to be hired, Playoffs.

237. Maz in Iowa says:

Maybe DK could have an unhappiest asylum poster.There would be a lot of us in the running.Heck it might even make news on espn

Oh, and I’ve totally enjoyed watching the semi-finals,. Darn good hockey!

239. The WAR folks say a win is worth $4-5 million. Do you want to be a Winner?

If you don’t want to play with the Big Boys, get out of the game!

Pirates Market is same size as all other teams in our division except Cubs.

Not “Small Market”———small minds.

+++, Groat.

Perhaps a Gary Redus avatar.

PLAYOFFS!!!!!!!!!!

I guess technically Jim, one could participate by running to the fridge.

LOL! Wo, Domster, good one!!!!

That’s part of the deal if they can ever get approval.

246. Dejan must have gotten that 18-10 stat he uses above in his video from Twitter.

He should have come here and listened to Sweet Jimmie about 18-12. Truth over drama.

I’m telling you . . . . Dejan is hanging out with the wrong crowd.

Not sure the NHL is the best comparison. I don’t remember the exact figures, and I realize the gross revenues are vastly different, but from the last hockey negotiations, the revenue sharing in the NHL had been pretty paltry. At least that’s what I think I think.

I’m leaning toward Brisebois. He’d likely bring in Guy Boucher as his head coach, and I think old scar face would have a good impact on this team.

You’re right. If he was smart, he’d be home hanging out with Dali ;)

250. Playoffs by Infinity,

What are the odds Gregory Polanco comes up Friday?

Spunky, look for jsc6

252. Why? He wants to marry NMR. See above.

That’s hilarious, Rev! :-D

look for jsc6

You’re right Groatie…and new scouts may be forbidden from participating this season.

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!! ;X

I don’t have an answer as to how to fix the revenue inequality in MLB, either, guys. But, I do think there is something inherently unfair about a system where one team can have a payroll that is 3-4 times that of another largely based on the fact that they have more people living in their area. I’ve been to LA, and Dodgers fans are not more passionate than Pirates fans. There are just a whole lot more of them.

We can talk about the cheapness of our owner vs. those of the Yankees, Dodgers, etc. And there may well be truth to that. But, I’m pretty sure even our owner would spend a lot more money if he had an extra $200M or more coming in each season. I’m also pretty sure those other teams are still making a profit as well – even with their gigantic payrolls.

Then, again, if the owners of the small market clubs don’t care about this issue enough to band together to force a better fix of some sort, what can we do? Most of them are guilty of going along with the status quo because they are still making good money. That’s too bad for their fans.

Speaking of the Red Sox, what a mess that outfield is.

Cherington is absolutely at fault, as well. The Red Sox rightfuly have a competitive advantage due the economics of their market, and yet it seems he’s falen in love with small market baseball.

Nava, Carp, Gomes, Victorino, JBJ, and freaking Grady Sizemore.

Sorry, Groat. I had my subtlety meter set on low.

I think they had been playing well, but the New York series kind of interrupted that. But LA and SD have certainly brought it back.

And they’re doing it with Volquez in the rotation, the worst $5 million one year signing in the history of sports. :-)

(that’s sarcasm)

261. Unless his name is Stephenie Greene, that ain’t it. I’ve found most of these profile names on here are from e-mail addresses.

But good thought, J-girl.

262. BTW, he was hanging out at home when he did his Cinesport spot this morning (or whenever) from his basement.

Credit where credit is due.

+++

I think John Henry is only happy if all the rules favor the Red Sox.

:-)

21:

I would just say start by following what interests you. Pick your favorite news source nationally, locally, etc. Throw in a business news source. If you like some sort of political commentator, add them. Then, do the same with sports. Start with DK & Travis, add other Pittsburgh guys. Maybe add a few baseball, football, etc writers nationally. I think you’ll find that you’ll be following and unfollowing as time goes on.

Do NOT forget to follow your wife and kids, if they tweet. And “favorite” everything your wife tweets no matter what!! Otherwise, she will be offended if she’s anything like my wife. :-)

It will end up getting shaped by you pretty quickly.

He’s obviously hanging out with the “bobble head crowd.” :-)

obviously…

Were there bobble heads in the background?

270. Patrick(ri) says:

The trouble with the points you make lies in the fact that there are always bigger boys hiding in the weeds. To wit, the billionaire who just boight the Clippers. Personally, I kind of like the way our owner stays low key and within his means(perhaps well within, I admit). It has to be more fun to root for a team that evolves over a team that “appears,” can you say “Dodgers,” who just lost three of four to the cheapskate Pirates. Put in a reasonable salary cap system and we could all care less about who the owners are, unless they start using orange balls or pinch hitting “small people.”

I would suggest that once you have watched Dejan’s Cinesport thing, set the volume to mute to avoid hearing it over and over.

over 50 visible…

273. GAWTS2009 says:

That’s why I changed my name to my twitter handle. You can see all of my jokes. But actually I faught getting a twitter account for a long time. After realizing how quickly I can get information about NHL free agency I quickly changed my mind. Now I use it to follow various media outlets and beat writers for information. Also, a couple parady accounts because I like to laugh.
    Please note if you follow me I am pretty negitive on there. It is too easy to judge things quickly without fully thinking things through.
    #happenstothebestofus

Agreed….lol

Yep. They just mindlessly shook their heads at everything DK had to say. ;-)

Maybe it’s cleverly disguised. (evil laugh follows).

277. Botherhood of the Redus says:

Nice…if you’re not into the whole brevity thing

278. GAWTS2009 says:

shhhh! you be bloin my cover!

279. Botherhood of the Redus says:

I’ve got one around here somewhere

280. TK says:

RE: The Cinesport video:

With it being called Morning Java with DK, should there not be some type of tie-in with Starbucks?

281. GAWTS2009 says:

I second this!

282. Botherhood of the Redus says:

Best source for any type of news you want…hands down I agree. you just have to be willing to research from time to time. Honestly, I tend to trust what I’mhearing from he average joe on twitter over something from the MAJOR news outlets

283. Playoffs by 2012 says:

Placido or Geovanny?

284. Playoffs by 2012 says:

My personal choice was Garth Butcher…now that Sonja Henie is out.

285. The Gunner says:

If Marte is having troubles with his hand and back, maybe the timing is right for a trip to the DL with a rehab stint at either Indy or Altoona. No sense in having his mental errors cost the Buccos any games.

I am sure with all the fanfare with Polanco can handle LF @ PNC Park & J-Hey can play RF.

286. Those flying coffee cups aren’t enough for you?

;)

287. TK says:

I don’t see a logo.

Could be any cup of coffee.

288. Botherhood of the Redus says:

I don’t believe that the Mets are as bad as they were playing prior to the Pirates series either…

289. Bet it’s not Maxwell House.

290. The Gunner says:

Gaby Sanchez is his personal translator, you know

The only thing that gets on my nerves sometimes (and just a little) is when beat writers post the results of every half inning…or even less than half inning.

I really don’t need to know everything about every Royals or Giants game. But hey, that’s twitter

293. Sarah says:

I have to say I was amazed at the nbr of goals allowed by Quick and Crow in that WCF.
    28 in 7 for CHI….vs 14 in 7 for MAF….

LAK will have to tighten up a LOT.
    NYR may not have the high powered offense of Hawks but they won’t be blowing 5 2-goal leads either (how shocking a stat is that BTW? FIVE multi-goal leads in 7 games? ) some seriously sloppy D that NYR are NOT going to show.

But I still think LAK have too much. Let’s see if NYR can take advantage of the Kings’ stress-exhaustion early and maybe jump out to a 1-0 or 2-1 lead….if not…..gonna be quick I think.

Are those hastily discarded wrappers from packets of Starbucks I spot in the background?

Doesn’t surprise me. I’ve seen Gabby pull him aside and “talk” to him lol

I knew there was a reason he liked them.

Did any resemble NMR?

(Just a joke, NMR. I would never accuse you of being mindless.)

No pun intended, of course ;)

:snicker:

Yinz are really helping lift the stress from my day ;)

299. Stuart says:

Rev, I personally like Trader Joe’s Coffee.

OOPS, didn’t mean to “tweet”!!!

Stu

I’d be very surprised if they didn’t start Polanco in one position and keep him there for awhile. In other words, right field. But . . .

Thanks Jim. I have tried that. But I might have something better. A friend and a son who follow a lot of baseball writers on Twitter and keep me up to speed.

What did he tweet last night about the “fan base?”

303. Hairless, yes. Mindless, no.

And Dali has a fine head of hair.

Jim, even if the small market owners banded together, I’m not sure they have much leverage.

305. I used to drink MH French Roast. Miss it, but had to cut it out.

:thwap:

There’s been some talk of Neil Walker as a candidate for 2b on the NL All Star team. He’s certainly in the running. I took a look at some offensive numbers of guys who I think are in the running along with Pineland Richland’s Own Real Deal Neil Walker (Utley, Murphy, Rendon, Gordon). I know. Exciting lunch day for me.

I left off the rapidly fading Brandon Phillips. He would have finished last in most categories. He can’t seem to even put up decent offensive stats in GABP at this point. I think Utley has a nice home park advantage as well. I would take that into account, but Mike Matheny won’t.

Runs: Rendon 37, Murphy 35, Utley 31, Gordon 30, Walker 28

Hits: Murphy 70, Utley 67, Walker 63, Gordon 61, Rendon 58

2b + 3b: Utley 26, Murphy/Rendon 15, Gordon 13, Walker 8

HR: Walker 11, Rendon 7, Utley 4, Murphy 3, Gordon 1

RBI: Walker 34, Rendon 29, Utley 27, Murphy 21, Gordon 15

SB: Gordon 34, Murphy 9, Rendon 3, Walker/Utley 1

Avg: Utley .318, Murphy .292, Walker .279, Gordon .275, Rendon .262

OBP: Utley .376, Walker/Murphy .351, Gordon .324, Rendon .320

Slug%: Utley .512, Walker .460, Rendon .443, Murphy .396, Gordon .365

OPS: Utley .888, Walker .811, Rendon .763, Murphy .747, Gordon .689

I also think Walker has a ton of very key hits this year. I can’t really say if the other guys have done that as well, but I doubt it.

Get it on the blog, man!

Cuz of the caffeine?

Haha, I was actually going to post that the bobbleheads can join my Pro-Kovacevic tribe led by me, Chief Apologist.

311. RELENTLESS_FORECHECK says:

I’m reading out of TSN that former ‘Canes GM Jim Rutherford received a phone call from the Penguins, so it appears the list may be expanding rather than shrinking. It’s a little late for new names to be added into the mix…

From DK’s chat yesterday, interim GM Jason Botterill is also on the short-list. He does have the requisite experience and he knows the Penguins depth chart intimately, but there’s two things that bother me about him being named GM. First, he was Ray Shero’s assistant. How much of Shero’s plan, execution, and process is attributed to Botterill? How much of Shero’s “baggage” will Botterill retain if he’s offered the big chair? I can only hope, through the vetting process, that Mario and Burkle believe that Botterill has a unique enough perspective to really change the direction of the franchise rather than make minor course corrections.

Second, if Botterill is to be named GM, why waste all this time on a search? The only answer is that Lemieux and Burkle were not entirely convinced Botterill is the right man for the job. If the list of candidates keeps growing, it sounds like the Pens are still not convinced. Meanwhile, discussions with upcoming FAs are on-hold along with, presumably, draft preparations. For an interim GM, it doesn’t sound like Botterill hasn’t been given much responsibility besides keeping the lights on…

Regardless, it’s time a decision is made.

312. No, cause of the constant visits to the little girls’ room.

Neil is having an excellent season at the dsh, but Chase Utley has been the best 2B in the league.

always

I don’t really recall but who was responsible in Boston for not resigning Ellsbury? Seemed like a foregone conclusion that he wasn’t coming back?

MMR, are you being a pot stirrer????

I understand that Rev. I don’t know about Kentucky, but up here that would get you in trouble.

LOL! Caffeine does that to you ;X

LOL @ AW!

I recommend setting it to mute to avoid listening to Noah Coslov.

Personally, as I said above, I’m leaning toward Brisebois. He’d bring on He of the nasty facial scar as head coach, and I think Guy Boucher would be good for this team.

I hope to watch Game 1 tonight. Should be awesome.
    Leading points man for the Rangers: St Louis- 13 (6 goals, 7 assists)
    Leading points for the Kings: ANZE KOPITAR – 24 points (5 goals, 19 assists)

323. The Gunner says:

I tend to agree with you AW but, as you know, s**t happens. If Marte is hurt and goes on the DL/rehab, Polanco in LF & J-Hey in RF is definitely an option.

Yeah, even getting to hit in Citizen’s Bank BP, it is hard to argue with what Utley is doing. A lot of people have been pushing Gordon, but I don’t see it. He’s mostly just SB.

325. The Gunner says:

Jim

Thanks for the compliment on the avatar. It’s my personal tribute to 2 guys (and Hall of Famers) who had a huge impact on me growing up. I am lucky to have heard the Gunner broadcast many times and watch the Great Roberto play countless games.

Now Papa Francisco needs to go strap it on the Padres tonight!!!!!

Chief Apologist, eh? Oh yeah, you’re standing right next to Chief Wahoo.

+++. So true about Henry.

That’s the “But . . .” ;-)

329. Maz in Iowa says:

I wonder if Walker takes many grounders at 3B?Next year or two the Bucs could put Walker at 3B and some combination of Hanson/Harrison/Mercer at 2B/SS.Just a thought.I personally think if Pedro is going FA(just think Boras)…I think this might be a good plan.

330. Maz in Iowa says:

I love to stir the pot. :)

I just think the Kings will overwhelm NYR with talent.

I guess that’s probably true, 21. That is probably why I find it so frustrating.

That works. It is definitely not for everyone.

I’m with you, Gunner. My 12 year old wears #21 for his team, and he never saw anything but old clips of Roberto. But, he idolizes him.

Maybe a Redus bobblehead?

Some have said he doesn’t have the arm for 3b, Maz. There may be something to that.

That was all on Cherington.

He seems to have adopted a policy of refusing to give long contracts. Which is fine. But you better be able to hit the short ones every single year.

They’re going to regret losing Jon Lester even more.

+++

Always. Funny.

339. Maz in Iowa says:

They said his arm was good enough at catcher though

Or when beat writers post more about their alma mater and favorite soccer tea than the sport they cover for a living.

And Gordon hasn’t hit a lick since the fourth week of the season.

Chase Utley and that goshdarn timeless short stroke. Guy will hit til he’s 50 if his legs hold out.

We’ll, that and the they are looking at the long term, not short term.

343. Maz in Iowa says:

His last 2 years as a catcher he threw out 29% and 37% of runners stealing

From what I remember, the only reason PRNW was moved was they thought he was blocked by Paulino

The best weapons the Rangers have is Penalty Kill and King Henrik. LA has everything else.

346. Maz in Iowa says:

Yeah I remember that too.

347. Maz in Iowa says:

I got into it with Nutting Hostage on a regular basis ….he insisted Walker was too big/tall to be a 2B…even though Ripken was a gold glover many years as a SS at 6′ 5″

348. Reading says:

Took me a while to pick up on it, but great sweater reference, TC.

Well, at least they got that one right.

(Nothing intended here to implicate money or Nutting, but it may make me unhappy.)

Maz-Nutting Hostage passed away recently at the age of 49. Not sure if you knew.

351. buggee says:

I’m miserable. I just ate a sour grape! Seriously! I thought these grapes from Chile’ were supposed to be sweeter than those imported from Mexico?!?!?

Oh yeah, about them Schmuccos and their garbage pitching and feeble bats, and how much Nutting sux and Bad Deal Neal can’t GM his way out of a paper bag and FC is a useless number-cruncher and The Second Coming (of Roberto Clemente) is wasting away at Indy all becuase of a paltry $15,000,000 bonez…

RAISE IT!!!

put THAT in your shuttlecock and bang it around a bit
    (Hiya JandyLion)

352. Maz in Iowa says:

Neil Walker vs. Ian Kennedy – hitting .444 (8/18) with a 2B, 3 HRs & 9 RBIs

+++, Biz.

I have speculated that Walker gets an extension that allows them to trade Pedro at some point.

354. buggee says:

BAM DJ!!! Sing it loud and proud bruddah! +++++++++++++++++++

Also an afternoon game, where the ball is likely to carry a little better.

INTERIOR. OFFICE. DAY.

John sitting at desk. White shirt/Blue tie. Grey slacks and usual disheveled look.

(Mumbling) : “Lets check the blog, shall we.” Types keypad.

Annoying video launch -volume not turned down. Jolting, irritating people near desk.

( Scrambling) “Oh, sorry people” (to disinterested co-workers) Turns down volume.

Scene.

Copyright, Screen Writers Guild America. All rights reserved.

357. Maz in Iowa says:

Yeah Baywatch notified me.He was extremely knowledgeable …..may things.Very smart guy

It is a great swing. Straight and quick to the ball.

359. Maz in Iowa says:

Does Hadar ever post anymore?

360. Botherhood of the Redus says:

Utley is a beast. He was scary good befor his injury….glad to see him getting back to form.

And, we’ll see how great their PK is against this PP unit. This is not Montreal.

362. Botherhood of the Redus says:

Cheers to NuHo…he was one of a kind in the blogosphere

Not recently, but has in the past occasionally.

I’m glad the final game of this 10-game roadie starts early tonight. Thanks, Padres. Stay classy, San Diego.

And you’re still wrong.

;-)

366. The Gunner says:

And why do you use Al Oliver (another one of my personal favorites) as your avatar, Jim?

367. Maz in Iowa says:

We butted heads,but I still respected his opinions.Most were based on facts

368. piratemike says:

I watch, listen and read shows and blogs from different cities and I see and hear the same stuff from all over the country. Pittsburgh sports fans are no different then NY fans or LA fans and all those in between.

lol nothing like 9 to 5 eh?

Remember, Jim’s subtlety meter is very low today AW ;)

371. RELENTLESS_FORECHECK says:

Ok, note to DK or Trib technical staff… disable auto-play on the CineSport clips!

372. Maz in Iowa says:

Harrison 2B
    Travis Snider RF
    Andrew McCutchen CF
    Ike Davis 1B
    Jose Tabata LF
    Pedro Alvarez 3B
    Jordy Mercer SS
    Chris Stewart C
    (Francisco Liriano P)

373. Maz in Iowa says:

Hurdle reading my mind about Harrison at 2B

374. dennis g. says:

That makes no sense. The band is an amalgamation of the various and sundry talents of all of its members. If you were talking about the band’s overall ability, talent or rank Ringo would definitely be included in the reckoning.

buggeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

Grapes? I prefer vino ;)

turn on your subtlety button, dennis

But, who’s mind is he reading on the Snider thing? That’s 2 nights in a row. He didn’t do anything vs. the minor leaguer last night. Is Clint showcasing Snider for a trade? Are they thinking of keeping Snider over Tabata once the Polanco era starts?

378. Maz in Iowa says:

Can’t see any value for Snider……Tabata would be better bait

I didn’t really think that was a very convincing analogy, either.

But it did get a love shot.

:-)

Wait a minute. Something has to be wrong with Walker if he’s 8/18 with 3 bombs vs. Kennedy and isn’t in the lineup. Neil would have to be salivating at that matchup.

Agreed.

Very low.

I don’t care about right vs left handed hitting.

Tabata should not be hitting #5 and Pedro #6

384. buggee says:

the cutest boozer in existence! BTW, didn’t you say you were FC’s DD at one time there Jandylicious?

NooooOOOoo!!!!! if I were around FC I’d hurt him!!!

386. Daggum Sunday lineup on Wednesday.

precisely!

lol

389. Stuart says:

Just a random thought (higher order than a tweet), is it possible that no one worth his (or her) weight WANTS the Pens GM job given the conditions imposed by Morehouse et al?

We (Pens and their fans) are losing ground on a number of deadline-related issues. Is our Rome burning while multiple Neros fiddle?

“Bubble bubble toil and trouble” are there too many witches making this brew?

WTF

Stuart

No one wants the Pens job?

No. That’s a nonstarter.

391. War_Horse says:

Here’s a thoughtful, well-written column about the Pirates’ management strategies this year and last from Jonah Keri:

392. Maz in Iowa says:

I’m wondering if Polanco’s promotion might be delayed while Huntington showcases a trade for Snider or Tabata or till he can find someone that wants either of those two.

393. Naje says:

Question to those questioning the Sunday-lineup-on-Wednesday:

What would your rather have:
    A. The Sunday lineup on Wednesday afternoon vs. the Padres?
    B. The regular lineup on Sunday vs. the Brewers?

Can’t start your best players every game. And maybe Marte needs some time to either mend his aches and pains or re-focus his mind on what he needs to do to help the team win.

394. Stuart says:

You missed the “given the conditions” part. I also got the sense that a committee was doing the interviewing.

There may be a lot of candidates but, are they reasonable candidates?

It is taking too long.

Stuart

395. The regular lineup every day. There’s an off day tomorrow and no matter what coast they’re on, they aren’t playing until Friday night.

I was just questioning sitting Walker against a RHP that he crushes. A manager generally has to remove that player with a crow bar.

397. Why not? Off day tomorrow.

I HATE Walker not starting. He’s been our best hitter recently.

398. Sarah says:

To add in to the PK discussion, CHIs PK was absolutely awful….I mean, worse than any passive POS PP we ever saw from the Pens. It was not a reflection of the greatness of LAK’s PP….the Hawks were awful.

But I generally agree this could be a short series if the Rangers don’t snag an early game or two…..

399. Naje says:

Why not? Because it’s a 162 game marathon and your starting 2B hasn’t had a game off all year. Playing every top player every game is just unrealistic. Precious few players start 150+ games/year… even less start 155+ games/year.

It is just not good to wear out all of top players early in the season, especially when having a chance to rest a few guys before a long trip home and facing your division leading nemesis.

Did anyone complain about Crosby sitting a game or two at the end of the regular season? Fatigue happens. Can’t rely on 6 or 8 guys… usually takes 15 to 20 players plus a deep pitching staff to navigate a long, long season and be successful.

400. Sarah says:

I like Boucher….but I wonder if they’ve been delaying as long as they have to get McIver from the Hawks….

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle