Final: Reds 11, Pirates 4

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (34-36) vs. Cincinnati Reds (34-35)

Time: 7:05 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, Radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page and our Bucco Blog. Rob Biertempfel is on the scene for the Trib.

Comments

1. Lad 9 says:

Time for the bullpen and Pedro’s arm to emerge from their slumps. Lets go Bucs!

Reds

5. Russell Martin (R) C
    6. Josh Harrison (R) 2B
    7. Pedro Alvarez (L) 3B
    8. Jordy Mercer (R) SS
    9. Edinson Volquez (R) P

Gametime Forecast: 83°F • Partly Cloudy • 5% PoP

Thanks Lad, only a 5% chance of rain?

3. Baywatch says:

OK, so we’re not going back to anymore games until we get a real first baseman who hits for power, Grilli stops closing and Pedro either starts hitting or changes his expression. :-)

4. cmat0829 says:

LETS GO BUCS.. BIG GAME here… win and get another chance at .500 tomorrow and chance to win the series in the matinee finale.

5. The Gunner says:

Strap it on ‘em tonight Buccos. Let’s get 7 good innings from Volquez!

6. cmat0829 says:

OH, and just to spite all of you, I just purchased a new Pirates hat. I don’t usually wear hats, but I’m now wearing mine JUST LIKE PEDRO, over the ears.

Not sure if it is a coincidence, but last night at the dog park I air mailed the frisbee into the next field and my dog was not amused. He barked something about accountability and refused to chase it.

And then let him come out for the 8th!

8. cmat0829 says:

The Marlins have released Randy Wolf, who elected Free Agency. Peter Gammons reporting at least 30 fast food franchises and janitorial services agencies are showing interest.

In a related move, the Marlins can’t learn and have signed Brad Penny who is attempting a comeback at age 36.. Wolf was attempting a comeback at age 37. But Marlins apparently of the belief that a Penny reclaimed is a Penny earned.

9. cmat0829 says:

I heard it is Volquez bobblehead night tonight at PNC.. is that true? Sponsored by Waste Management? Figurine is Volquez being helped out of a WM dumpster by Neil Huntington. That plus Groupon night might half-fill the place….

10. Brandie says:

The smooth comedy stylings of cmat0829. Available to deliver news of firings, Convenience Listings, and Designations For Assignments.

Dude, AWESOME idea!

When a guy is on a roll you can only sit back and enjoy.

13. cmat0829 says:

we miss Milo. He usually comes up with stuff like this.. just trying to be ‘NEXT PERSON UP” on this here blog…

14. Matt hoffman says:

Went to the game in indianapolis today. Here is my scouting report. Nick kingham is really good. Average fastball (low 90′s). Above average off speed stuff. Very aggresive throwing strikes. Worked quickly, there for his defense was very good because they where on there toes. He wasnt affraid to pitch to contact. I have not seen such efficiency in a long time.
    Rojas was the only one who looked like a major legue ball player on both sides of the field. If i was a team out of contention, i would persue rojas very aggresivly in a trade (i hope the cubs read this lol).
    Andino cannot hit but was very impressive at short stop. Nevin Ashley looked very good behind the plate, but erratice batting. Other than those three, I didnt see anyone that could help us now. That was my scouting report.

15. Matt hoffman says:

Sorry for the spelling errors, my daughter did the shorthand for me!

16. Brandie says:

I have no problem with your originality my friend. I miss Meye-low too. :(

17. Matt hoffman says:

“Other than those 4″

Thanks, Matt. Hope you enjoyed!

If Pedro looks into the dugout camera tonight and barks like a dog the Blog’s head may explode.

20. Maz in Iowa says:

Hey Bay,you ever hear anything from Jose Pagan?Remember he was a middle of the road guy.Pretty smart blogger

21. The Gunner says:

and probably the 9th, too (if you catch my drift)

22. Maz in Iowa says:

If the FO wasn’t so cheap Kingham could be brought up by late July” if” the Pirates were still in the race.Mighty big “if” btw!

23. Baywatch says:

Yes, I do, Maz. He’s a school teacher now and doing fine.

24. Maz in Iowa says:

Thx.You ever hear from Daryll in Sacramento or Plenty of Hope?Just curious if they still blog.

25. Maz in Iowa says:

cmat0829,can you hear with that hat pulled over your ears? :)

26. Patrick(RI) says:

Note the flip of 6 & 7 in the batting order(no names so as not to jinx him). Tomorrow we might see a flip of 5 & 6.

27. cmat0829 says:

Good to see Worley get another start…presuming he pitches well again…. it has been well chronicled now that Worley is only 28 and the Pirates control him for 3.5 years. And he has shown the ability in the past to get ML hitters out. Presuming Cole is activated and makes a start some time during the Tampa series, who goes? I know the mantra is that roster moves will work themselves out, but is the corresponding move to activate Cole:

1) DFA Worley and likely lose him (I can’t see that myself)
    2) Send Cumpton back down to be rotation insurance in AAA (I can see this happening)
    3) Send Locke back down (Doubt it)
    4) DFA Gomez

I guess now that I write these out I think the most likely is Cumpton back to AAA UNLESS he has the aptitude to hit the pen… with his ability to throw strikes and aggressiveness, is he an option for the pen, and not just long relief but to come in and bridge from the starter to Melancon and Watson?

28. cmat0829 says:

i can only hear good things, i can’t hear any criticism.

29. Maz in Iowa says:

lol.Just called Hurdle and he said the same thing

30. Baywatch says:

I think it’s been awhile but Daryll and Plenty both pop on here from time to time. Both doing well.

Daryle pops in once in a great while. Have never seen PoH post here

32. Maz in Iowa says:

Worley is out of options.They can’t send him down now…..not after that gem he pitched the other day.He’ll have to stay in the majors

Does anyone know what did happen to Milo??

You can’t stop him; you only hope to contain him.

I think Worley might atually be only 26. I’d check, but I’m too lazy. So, I’ll just go with it.

Bold prediction here. The Big Bull is going to put his foot down tonight.

I’m feeling a 3-run blast, and maybe another XBH. Bucs win fairly easily. Then, back to .500 tomorrow before heading to Piggly Wrigley for the weekend.

37. Reading says:

I hope I get the new SI with the Chuck Noll cover, and not some regional JV cover with the Spurs or Kings.

I’m not sure, Biz, but I hope he comes back. Milo has some of the most astute observations on just about any sports topic of anybody here. I miss that.

Bucs are 3-10 vs. Milwaukee, I believe. And, they are 2-6 vs. the Reds. I think if you look back at the final scores of all of those games, they will account for a whole bunch of our 1 and 2 run loss games this year. It’s just been that type of year so far. But, it ain’t over yet.

40. The Gunner says:

Jim

I hope you are right about Pedro. I’ll blog you @ around 9:45 tonight to let you know how good of a predictor you are.

41. Maz in Iowa says:

I see Cubs promoted 3B Bryant to AAA.How about the Bucs trade Pedro and Kingham for him?They could add Grilli and some Pierogies too

Cut it out Jim. You know Polanco can’t pitch. ;-)

43. The Gunner says:

Jim

The Bucs can’t afford to lose any more games against the Brewers or Reds. If they won 4 more games against the Brewers, they’d be only 4 games out of 1st place.

The offense is coming alive & the starting pitching has vastly improved. Now, the bullpen needs to step up.

Yeah, and he is comical and witty as well.

Seems like we keep losing folks, its a shame

Well, now he is 500+ AAA bats away from the bigs (as I duck) ;-)

46. hockeymonster says:

Seriously, where’s he been?

47. Kris says:

I was thinking about what the Pirates might do with Alvarez when Walker returns and it seemed like a question with no good answer. That got me thinking about other sports questions with no good answers and the following 5 popped out. Thought someone with your sports sense of humor might appreciate them.

1. Why is it that no horse can win a triple crown since 1978 (after it was done 3 times in 5 years in the 70’s)? What could possibly have changed in that sport to cause such an aberration? My theory? Horse trainers, inspired by major league baseball, have implemented “lap counts” on all their horses to save their legs. Simultaneously, they created “specialty horses” whose job it was to only run the last race in the triple crown. These 2 forces have made it almost impossible for today’s horses to “go the distance” and win all three races.

2. Why can’t a baseball team from Chicago win a world championship? If not for the 2005 White Sox, neither Chicago team would have won a world series in 100 years each. That’s 1 championship in 200 baseball seasons for one of largest markets in the US. Hidden viggorish alone should have allowed it to happen at some point along the line. My theory is that 100 years ago Chicago was granted three wishes by a genie and for their first wish they chose the ability to vote multiple times in elections. For their 2nd and 3rd wishes they voted again for their first wish. As a result, they ended up electing a president (Obama) and destined themselves to a hundred unhappy endings at Wrigley Field.

3. How is it that neither India nor China are in the World Cup? They have a million, gazillion people between them and they can’t find 12 each who can kick a soccer ball well enough to beat….oh I don’t know….Algeria? Ghana? Rumor has it that Bud Selig has an entire chapter of his memoirs dedicated to this phenomenon. According to Bud it is just another example of small market teams being able to compete with large markets in a non-salary cap sport.

4. What happened to Boxing? In the 70’s it was huge and now it has no following whatsoever. What I find interesting is that WWE wrestling is raking in Billions of dollars as is the UFC (ultimate fighting championships). And yet boxing sits in relative obscurity. Apparently it’s just real enough to not be as entertaining as the WWE but not violent enough to compete with the UFC. In other words, consumers are saying either entertain me by faking violence or go ahead and kill one another but don’t do something in between. The last big name boxer was Mike Tyson and he had to resort to biting his opponents ear off. Clearly he was ahead of his time and boxing would have been wise to follow his lead.

5. Why does the manager go out to change the pitcher rather than the pitching coach? It’s not like the manager is making the decision once he gets there. He has to take him out as soon as he steps on the field. Seems like a perfect opportunity to make the decision in the dugout and then send out the pitching coach (who could then share some insights with the incoming pitcher). Instead the manager strolls out there hands the ball to the new guy and walks away. My theory? “Plausible deniability”. In the current system the Ray Searage’s of the world can look each of his pitchers in the eye and claim that he never took them out of a game. Apparently it must help with the fragile psyches of today’s major league pitchers (and perhaps race horses).

48. Brandie says:

The offense is definitely coming around. Starters are going deeper into games. I am concerned about how many potential wins have been subtracted due to boneheaded base running, Pedro throw aways, poor situational hitting by some, and a leaky bull pen. This year’s Buccos are definitely frustratingly enjoyable.

VIVA POLANCO!!!!!!!!!!

I have often wondered about #5. The conclusion I arrived at was that Managers want it known that they alone made the decision to switch pitchers. So, that is how it looks. In reality, I have to assume the pitching coach generally provides input.

50. Maz in Iowa says:

Maybe Dr Phil could talk to Pedro about his hitting and the case of “yips” he’s developed. :)

Very frustrating year, in some ways, Brandie. But, at least we are not too far off the Wild Card race. Hope springs eternal.

The weather is “iffy” at best tonight, it needs to be a quick, crisp ballgame

Jeff Samardzija has apparently rejected an approximate 5/$85M+ deal. He had been seeking a deal in excess of the 5/$105M one signed by Bailey of the Reds.

Seems to me that the Cubs didn’t really want to sign him, and haven’t all along. So, they offered him what looks like a decent deal, to appease the angry fan base, knowing full well he would reject it.

I suppose they could still counter and re-counter to get a deal done, but I think he’ll be traded as was planned all along. Some team will greatly overpay in terms of prospects for Samardzija, IMO.

i agree, Gunner. The games vs. those two teams have been very costly. They need to start turning it around tonight.

Well, if they had kept him down a couple more months they could have groomed him to be the closer. ;-)

Oh, you and a bunch of folks. I just have a feeling about him tonight.

57. hockeymonster says:

Jim, if the bucs trade Walker and Pedro this off season what kind of prospects could we get? Could we get legit AA 3B for walker and legit AA 2B for pedro plus additional prospects?

I’m just speculating here, but I recall Milo was put off by the notion that, as a fan, if you had been complaining that the team kept Polanco down in AAA so long, you better show up at the stadium for his first game. I’m sure there was more to it than that, if indeed he has checked out permanently. Maybe he’s just on vacation and he’ll pop back in soon.

59. hockeymonster says:

Oooohhh…so he had enough kool aid too? I’m sure he’s still reading…i got your back mye-lough. :)

Wow, I don’t know their exact value on the open market, monster. I would think if they both finished off the season strongly, they could both fetch good prospects from teams that feel they are a player away from making a big run next year. I don’t see how we could trade them both, though. That would decimate our infield. Pedro would be worth more, but he really needs to start hitting with power again and get his throwing under control quickly here.

Thanks Matt

62. Brandie says:

To Baywatch…Good to see Joanne Worley’s grandkid, Vance, is getting the call this weekend. Our blog here is the Internet version of “Laugh In”.

Worley Bird!! :)

63. Reading says:

Mr. Average Regular with a 9-game hit streak.

64. Brandie says:

Liriano makes me wonder as well.

That is a lowball offer. Don’t the Cubs realize he is not from Latin America ?

66. Brandie says:

I will take that any day.

67. hockeymonster says:

Separate off season trades makes more sense but im thinking they could get A LOT more this off season than next. Pedro OPS is something like .720. Pretty sure we could replicate that with a platoon and maybe exceed it, even if pedro gets over .800. Would be more inclined to spend savings on solid SS and move Mercer to 2B and have Jhay platoon at third.

And been wondering from outside the box, could polanco ever be moved to 1B? Big guys like that eventually have issues with knees. Maybe in a couple years he ends up at 1B? Or is that nuts?

++++

69. Patrick(ri) says:

Complete with a “sock it to me” bullpen.

70. Brandie says:

And when Hurdle yanks the starter…”Here come de Judge.”

My patents loved Laugh In. Good Times!!!!

71. Patrick(ri) says:

Often find Hurdle moves “verrrry interesting.”

72. Kris says:

To paraphrase the late great coach John MacKay…. “Pedro isn’t hitting but he’s making up for it by not fielding”

73. Chuck H says:

We could still use Grilli in the ninth, but only if we have a 10 run lead!!!

74. pattonbb says:

Horrible at bat, Pedro.

75. Andrew says:

There wasn’t a pitch in the zone.

76. Patrick(ri) says:

And typical, it seems.

77. Brandie says:

Count how many times the bull pen phone rings…1 ringy dingy 2 tintypes dingy.

78. Parrothead says:

There is no nowhere in the lineup to hide Pedro.

79. pattonbb says:

I swear sometimes the guy decides to swing before the pitcher throws the ball. 3-1 count and he swings at the next 2 weak off speed pitches.

80. Patrick(ri) says:

“You bet your Bippy.” And that depletes my mental file of Laugh In stuff. Unless a bit of Pinot Noir unlocks some more.

81. Florida Steeler says:

Fundamentals–why does Cutch throw a lollipop to third base?? These guys do not think.

I guess 1b wouldn’t be nuts if Polanco eventually has bad knees. But, right now, he’s a plus defender. RF in PNC is the easiest OF position of the 3.

I don’t think Jordy hits enough to make up for Walker’s lost offense.

I would not want them to trade Pedro unless he finishes strong offensively and cures his throwing issues. He is not worth nearly as much right now as he probably was at the end of last year.

83. Andrew says:

He doesn’t have a very good arm.

84. Reading says:

Ballg….

85. Brandie says:

Getting sloppy…not Fugly yet.

86. Daquido_Bazzini says:

I’ve seen the Reds play on TV quite a few times this year against the Cards, Atlanta and Dodgers.
    They never look very good to me till they play the Pirates.
    Baffling…..

It’s still early, but I thought the Bucs would take care of business tonight.

88. radio wave says:

Cutch threw to wrong base. And all hell starts. Let it rain.

89. Chuck H says:

Simple Simon for Cy Young award!!!

90. Florida Steeler says:

Volquez has done an ok job for us but tonight he is an imitation of Randy Wolf.

Quit talking about .500, loser. :-D

92. Reading says:

Ballga..

93. radio wave says:

Getting painful.

94. bpn8pitt says:

(Throws Volquez bobblehead by Waste Management in dumpster)

Racist.

;-)

96. pattonbb says:

Volquez’s hat is the problem.

97. Brandie says:

To land next to Wandy and Liriano bobbleheads.

98. Brandie says:

Should be pulled over his ears.

99. Chuck H says:

Edinson Volquez for Simple Simon award!!!

100. pattonbb says:

Clint might be headed to the dl after that tumble.

101. Florida Steeler says:

The game is fugly but some great humor on the blog.

102. Maz in Iowa says:

So much for this game. *sigh*

103. radio wave says:

A wandy type showing.

104. Breakthestreak says:

Maybe Matt Hague can get the call up to pitch. He pitched a scoreless ninth at Indy the other night :-)

105. Steelag70 says:

Another lousy performance against a division opponent…

106. pattonbb says:

+++

107. Andrew says:

No, Wandy got hit hard, this was a different type of awful, free passes and bleeding hits.

108. Andrew says:

MLB replay has officially achieved NFL status, what a joke.

109. pattonbb says:

What in the hell…..

110. Maz in Iowa says:

Is there a mercy rule?

111. radio wave says:

Greg brown can’t believe the reveral.

112. Steelag70 says:

I know it’s only the third inning but why do I feel like this game is pretty much over?

113. radio wave says:

Meant reversal.9

114. Brandie says:

Yes Arreebz I want the Pirates to win this division race so I guess that makes me Racist. :)

115. Andrew says:

It is now.

116. hockeymonster says:

Unless we take payroll way up dont see how we can win a championship with this model. Young pitchers will get hurt so we’ll always need to spend alot on vet pitching. From there dont think we can spend 30M on pedro and walker even if they hit 60HR/180RBI. If we do pitching probably wont be any good. I dunno, just thinking out loud. I would consider loading up with legit prospects asap so you can take over the NL in 2-3 seasons with a set OF and infield. And isn’t that really when we can expect taillon, kingham and etc to join cole?

117. radio wave says:

It’s over.

118. Reading says:

In a shocking develppment, MLB has overruled 140+ years of baseball rules and has outlawed the force out at home. The good news: the Pirates can’t hit into any more 1-2-3 double plays.

Where was Polanco throwing that to? He needs to be sent back down to AAA and work on hitting the cutoff man or the proper base

120. Daquido_Bazzini says:

So now you can’t put your foot on home plate to force a runner out?
    Total bull….Total baloney….Total garbage….And a total disgrace and rip off of those that pay to see the game.
    TV…OFF.

121. Brandie says:

Frustratingly Fugly now. I wish Neverette would get a case of lockjaw now. Yanking makes me want to punch him in the face. Play is over. Kindly zip your lip about it. Move on.

122. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

BREAKING NEWS:

pitching is the name of the game.

123. Brandie says:

Charlie Brown didn’t get one. It’s a wonder Volquez didn’t Lise his close like Charlie often did.

RATS!!

124. Steelag70 says:

So much for that great starting pitching we were getting…

125. cherokee23 says:

Was thinking the same. Basically have to get out of way and give them the run. My understanding is can’t block without possession of ball. If the throw beats him, then he should be able to block plate, let alone stand on it to complete force out!

126. Brandie says:

You are right Kenny Powers. Pitching is like Real Estate…Location, Location, LOCATION!!!!!!

The bullpen needs to take it from sales…ABC Always Be Closing.

127. Reading says:

Quality, I say, quality third inning.

128. Maz in Iowa says:

Umm is Hurdle downing shots of tequila in the locker room………….yet?Or is he waiting for the pierogi races?

129. Andrew says:

I saw this argument somewhere, don’t remember who though.

130. Andrew says:

Attention, Interest, Decision, Action!

131. Maz in Iowa says:

Pirate pitching closing in on 100 pitches already.This is gonna be a lloonnggggg games with an early game tomorrow

132. tomf says:

where was Polanco throwing ?

he threw to a spot where he thought the infielder would be positioned

he barely looked before the throw – if at all – and lazily threw the ball to a spot

133. pattonbb says:

Can anyone explain the reversed force out at home? Is this still baseball they’re playing? Did they all of a sudden outlaw all outs at home?

I had to miss something about the play.

134. Maz in Iowa says:

Now every reds player has a hit….and it’s only the 4th inning

135. The Gunner says:

I think it is a fair statement to say Volquez certainly didn’t have it tonight.

136. Andrew says:

It would take the Pirates 24 hits to get 9 runs

137. tomf says:

observation – not criticism

possible Marte could have made the catch on the shallow fly in LF

if he would have dove

138. Steelag70 says:

Bucs don’t get out of this funk against the Reds and Brewers it’s going to be tough to make a second half run…

This team was playing so well last week and through the weekend. They were on the verge of sweeping Miami to go one game over .500, only to blow that game. And, now they are going to be back to 3 games under .500 and hoping to avoid a sweep at home tomorrow.

140. Maz in Iowa says:

Or 34 Pedros. :)

141. Brandie says:

Dang Right!!!!

Must have said Russ illegally blocked the plate. I didn’t catch much of the discussion, but I did hear Plesac and others on MLB Network saying what a horrible call it was.

143. Steelag70 says:

And looking at possibly being 9-10 games back of MIL…

144. Steelag70 says:

Maybe this will be like the ’89 season…take a step back to take big steps forward…

145. Brandie says:

Call it success a phobia

1. Fear of success after such a long string of gut wrenching failure.

2. Fear of getting over 500 and staying over 500.

146. Spain is not about to repeat as the World Cup Soccer Champs since they lost to Chile today 2-0 and that’s it for them this time. And it seems to be about it for the Pirates tonight. So, I’ll see you all tomorrow.

147. Brandie says:

Inattention, Disinterest, Indecision, Inaction!

The 2014 Pittsburgh Grilli’s.

+++

149. Maz in Iowa says:

Silver lining……at least none of us paid to see the Pirates be humiliated.,,,,,,,, right?(he said while beating his head against the wall)

150. Steelag70 says:

Needless to say, this coming offseason will be one of the most important and interesting in quite a while…

Sure feels like we’re paying for something here, Maz. ;-)

152. Maz in Iowa says:

Jobu is passed out in the locker room and Hurdle is STILL telling him dirty jokes in slurred speech. :)

153. Steelag70 says:

At least Polanco extended his streak tonight. :)

Billy Hamilton is a much better ball player than I thought.

155. The Gunner says:

Hey Jim………….at least Pedro got a double tonight. The jury is still out on whether he was safe at home.

156. tomf says:

down 9 runs – and Alvarez attempts to score on a line drive base hit directly to CF (fastest player in MLB)

with the meat of the order up

157. Steelag70 says:

Following the game on MLB At Bat…did they just end the game due to rain??

Yeah, now if he can just hit a couple grand slams, we’ll be right back in it.

159. Maz in Iowa says:

Lack of interest

160. Steelag70 says:

Never mind….must have been a glitch in the At Bat app…showed the game as a final at 5 innings…

161. The Gunner says:

I think that is a reasonable request on your part.

162. Maz in Iowa says:

One score ties it……….IF they make a 2 pt conversion.

163. Reading says:

In that Root commercial, Pie Traynor has Cutch-like first-to-third speed.

164. Reading says:

Meanwhile, back at PNC, Davis grounds out to second.

165. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

One poor start doesn’t diminish what the other guys have done

166. Maz in Iowa says:

Waving the white flag

167. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

On the bright side, Stolmy did a good job in relief.

168. The Gunner says:

Stolmy did fine. Now the Bucs have a little threat going here.

169. Maz in Iowa says:

After the big blow out at home plate Hurdle did a good job of mana………oops forget it……..

Are managers eligible for the DL?

171. Steelkings says:

Kris,
    No#1— Horse shoes….The emergence of the Air Jordans evened the field.

No#2—”Second City” – This was a derogatory nickname for the city used in a 1950s New Yorker article by A. J. Liebling; the phrase was later appropriated by a Chicago comedy troupe.[1] It is also used to describe Chicago after the The Great Chicago Fire, in which a second city was built on top of the ashes of the first one. Although this usage has no source and may be recent revisionism of the original derogatory nickname.

No#3– 89% per capa cigarette smokers

No#4–Use sturdy boxes. Fill the box to the brim and seal the lid. That way, you can easily stack boxes on top of one another.
    No#5– They are pretty much useless otherwise.

I think that was Ron Cook. ;-)

+++

I’m glad I didn’t end up watching Fargo last night, because I can watch it tonight.

As long as the power doesn’t go out. Nasty out here right now.

175. pattonbb says:

They should be. And Convenience List too.

Left myself wide open for that one, huh? ;-)

+++++

178. Maz in Iowa says:

Update: Gerrit Cole threw 60 pitches in a simulated game Wednesday.Tomorrow will give them a good idea as to when he’ll be back.Maybe this weekend

179. The ball game’s been suspended tonight. After what had happened before the thunderstorms, it’s just as well. Spain will not be the World Cup Soccer Champs since they lost to Chile today 2-0. Good night all.

180. Maz in Iowa says:

9-3 now

181. pattonbb says:

I don’t like position players trying to pitch.

James, I will expect you to tell us goodnight again in approximately 2 hours.

183. pattonbb says:

Thought you’d appreciate it.

I know, he’s a putz and he stinks but I like Travis Snider

Biz
    He’ll be on the convenience list when Walker is ready with elbow or shoulder strain :-)

+++

187. dennis g says:

I wonder how they are going to break the news to Cutch that Marte is the new center fielder? I am not saying it will be this week, or this month but I think it will be this year.

As to Martin blocking the plate I believe the decision was based on the fact that his foot was in front of the plate (with respect to the direction the runner was coming from) and while he did not have possession of the ball and then the runner slid right into that foot making it appear as if he could not score without going through Martin. Martin might have been OK if his foot had just been touching the edge of the plate (the right side would have been better since that is where the pitcher was.) It makes it tough to force since you can’t put your foot up against the edge of the base like you could anywhere else. I think this play may cause a reversal or adjustment of the rule.

188. KING says:

Pirates were plastered by the Reds 11-4. Every team has a few stinkers over 162 games. Bucs playing Reds at a bad time. Hamilton gives Reds a weapon few teams have & a healthy Votto makes Reds World Series contender.

Volquez inconsistent performance shows how importance starting pitching is in baseball. Pirates should hover around .500 most of year.
    I like the Ulf & Tocchet ideas for coaches. They earn instant respect as Cup winners & both men have a fire inside to win. A Pens team with these coaches would be physical & play with an edge. Time running out on Crosby & Malkin. No Cup in 2014-2015 & I fear these guys will never win another. Funny thing…As bad as Pens played in playoffs at times, Pgh was only 1 win from East. Conf Final & could have beaten Montreal in that series. It’s strange Pens were that close to Stanley Cup Final yet so far. KING

189. Jordan says:

I think you are spot on about the horse racing idea that horses are now bred for specific races. I bet if the same horses had to be in all three races, then we would see more triple crown winners.

The manager going out to get the pitcher is so silly. Why not just have the catcher go get the pitcher or something like that.

Now onto the Buccos….I think that Alvarez’s playoff last year gives him a pass for now. Perhaps he needs to take a few games off to “re-focus” and then he may come back strong. The crazy thing is that he turned down a $100 million offer from the Pirates in the off-season. Perhaps management will be happy he did….with the ability to hit 5 home runs in 7 days it is tough to give up on him but right now he is costing us games with his defense. And he is an easy out. I agree that when Walker comes back I think that Alvarez needs to rest against lefties every now and then to keep Harrison’s bat in the lineup.

With Polanco/Marte/Cutch locked up for at least the next 4 years it seems that we should have plenty of ammo to address the infield hitting. Perhaps Walker is staking his claim to 2B going forward. Mercer has hit better lately too and with Hanson lurking it leaves 1B and 3B as holes in the future. I don’t think there is any chance that Alvarez sticks around, so I’m guessing that he will be traded in the next two years (I can’t see them trading him this year unless they get blown away with a deal). I think that Josh Bell grabs the 1B position and perhaps you are right that Harrison becomes your 3B. I love how he plays! Just seems like he is very clutch. The Bucs also have plenty of other OF prospects (Meadows, Ramirez, Bell) that we may find a 3B from that group as well.

The bullpen has been the biggest downfall for this team this year. A few weeks ago we highlighted all of their blown saves. Now it is even worse. I think Grilli is done and though Melancon has pitched well in the setup roll, I agree he doesn’t seem to have the chops for closing. I think I would be fine with Watson with Melancon as the set-up man. Wilson and Grilli are scuffling right now but perhaps they can turn it around soon. Pimental is intriguing for me and I believe that he may ultimately end up being a closer type as well.

Sounds like Vance Worley earned himself a place in the rotation in place of Cumpton once Cole comes back. I love the rec. specs!

Amazing with how this team has struggled this year that they are still within shouting distance of the wild card and not completely blown away in the division. I have to think that the Cards, Dodgers, and Nats will end up winning the divisions, which leaves the Buccos, Giants, Braves, Brewers and Reds battling for two wild cards. In the end I don’t think the Reds have the hitting for it and I think that the Braves are going to get weaker as the season goes on, so it will come down to if the Pirates can win enough to catch either the Brewers or Giants who both have an 8 game lead on the Bucs. With Polanco in the fold, anything is possible as this team has played well in the last 3 weeks. But we need the bullpen to contribute to make that a possibility.