Final: Pirates 4, Reds 3, 12 innings

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (34-37) vs. Cincinnati Reds (35-35)

Time: 12:35 p.m.

Site: PNC Park

TV, Radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page and our Bucco Blog. Rob Biertempfel is on the scene for the Trib.

Comments

1. Flbucco says:

Today’s fairness and perspective post…
    Past 28 days per Baseball Reference
    The Cleanup hitter
    .197/.318/.310
    8 RBI
    Pedro
    .276/.344/460
    10 RBI

Let’s Go Bucs!

2. Wild Bill says:

Like Pucknutz, I was playing golf late yesterday, and the 19th hole had World Cup on, so I missed almost all of the Pirates’ game last night. From what I’ve read, I’m the fortunate one, as a lot of the Pirates missed it, too.

Respond and rebound, boys!

3. Maz in Iowa says:

It is what it is

4. Maz in Iowa says:

Feckless effort

5. Maz in Iowa says:

Free Kingham!What the heck…….Free Glasnow(while I’m at it).

6. Nate83 says:

Pedro has not been as bad as perceived. His last 10 dasy batting has been kind of rough but we can’t bury a guy everytime he has a bad 10 game stretch. The throwing errors add to the angst. If he continues to struggle up until Walker returns I have no problem resting him for 2 days and starting Harrison to let him exhale and regroup but Pedro will be needed for this team to compete. A .344 OBP over a month worth of games isn’t the type of player you suddenly give up on.

7. Dom says:

Didn’t he come off his best performance for the month of May in his career? Too bad that didn’t last.

What do you all think will happen to Pedro? With his hefty contract that is only going to rise, will he be dealt at the deadline? In the offseason?

8. Baywatch says:

The 8th commenter? Does that mean I’m gonna be walked to get to the pitcher? Morning, Y’all!

9. Flbucco says:

See above – what is wrong with Pedro’s last 28 day slash line?

10. Maz in Iowa says:

The same thing they did to give him competition in the minors.Absolutely nothing.Pedro has no competition in the organization.At any level.

11. Maz in Iowa says:

10 RBI/month.

12. Maz in Iowa says:

Hey Bay.Is Texas still as flat today as yesterday? :)

13. Nate83 says:

I think they wait and see how things unfold. There is almost zero chance he stays with them. If he’s good enough to retain he outprices himself because power hitters cost too much. If he is slightly worse then his 2013 season then I don’t think the Pirates will see him as the long term solution and won’t sign him long term.

They will constantly have to balance whether his trade value is more or less valuable then having him on the team with the realization that eventually he will be lost to free agency. My guess is he gets traded next year at the deadline or after next year during the offseason. Most of that depends on what other options the Pirates have for 3rd base and where they are in the standings and of course what return is being offered back in a trade.

If he is on the team to start 2016 I will be surprised. If he’s on the team in 2017 I will be extremely shocked and will question everything I’ve ever known about the Pirates.

14. Maz in Iowa says:

Gregory Polanco RF
    Starling Marte LF
    Andrew McCutchen CF
    Gaby Sanchez 1B
    Josh Harrison 2B
    Pedro Alvarez 3B
    Clint Barmes SS
    Chris Stewart C
    (Jeff Locke P)

15. Flbucco says:

beats the cleanup hitter by 2….

16. Maz in Iowa says:

Sunday line up.Of course it’s expected

The last 10 days are what’s wrong with his last 28 days.

7 for 35. 1 double, no homeruns, no RBIs. 4 walks though.

14 strikeouts.

Hooray!

20. Matt hoffman says:

I hope the umpire crew gets booed loudly when they are announced today. The crew in New York should also be fired. I see much better umpires at the AAA level. I turned the tv off last night when Hurdle got ejected. Is MLB harboring a grudge against our organization or what? Just felt like ranting!

21. Dom says:

I think I’d leave Glasnow down there for a few more starts before promoting him to AA. Not a lot of starts. Two or three more good starts should do it. He’ still only 21 so there no rush in my book.

22. Lad 9 says:

Lineup and forecast. Why wasn’t Russell Martin pulled last night so he could play today after it got out of hand? Let’s go Bucs!

Reds

7. Clint Barmes (R) SS
    8. Chris Stewart (R) C
    9. Jeff Locke (L) P

Gametime Forecast: 73°F • Light Rain • 84% PoP

23. bpn8pitt says:

Nate83,

The thing that bums me out the most when it comes to the pitching, is when I look at the 2015 list of free agents. Both starting and relief. Pretty underwelming list of injury risks and guys over 35. Sure there is gonna be a few good finds, but nothing automatic or a sure thing.

Any decent pitching the Pirates get between now and next year comes via trade, IMO.

24. Maz in Iowa says:

I hope Kingham and Taillon are up by this time next year.

25. Nate83 says:

So do you trade Pedro this year with an eye on the next couple years? Pitching will continue to be tough to find in free agency because more and more good ones and average one are being locked up early and signed to long term contracts.

26. bpn8pitt says:

I consider it sure. But I dont want a lottery ticket. I want a guy with a sub 4.00 ERA. Thats the kicker. Those guys arent cheap.

The Pirates have the prospects, IMO to acquire a lot of things within reason. Taking on the payroll is the issue.

As far as Taillon, Kingham and Glasnow are concerned? Waiting around and waiting for those guys to pan out, while you have assembled some good ML pieces is risky…If I could move two of those guys along with some other pieces ( Pedro,Bell, Meadows?) for some mix of #1-3 starters, I’d do it.

Pedro’s tough. Not exactly selling at peak value if thats what you plan on doing.

27. Baywatch says:

He catches Locke better! :-)

28. Daquido_Bazzini says:

I sat down to watch a baseball game yesterday and was treated to a fiasco. The Pirates were bad enough, but they were out-done by the men in blue and the robots that run the replay system in a dungeon somewhere in the Big Apple.
    If Russell Martin can’t put his foot on the plate to gather a force out, we’d all be better off watching re-runs of “Friends.”
    Hats off to Joe Torre and whomever else contrived a new rule that makes about as much sense as a major sport not having a salary cap.

29. bpn8pitt says:

I look at Taillon and i got doubts Maz. As far as thinking he’s a #2 or better.

Never really dominated in the Minors. Now you go TJ.

Big fat question mark the Pirates should not count on in 2015. If he does come back in June next year, pitches well like Charlie did, great. But dont make that part of your “Plan” if that makes sense.

Kingham could be just like Locke and Charlie. Good at times, but far from great. Pirates need “great” pitching if you want hardware. IMO anyway.

Are you guys still talking about Pedro? What are you worried about?

Don’t you know we should wait until the end of season and then look at his stats. Everything will be fine. No need to worry.

31. Dom says:

I’m not better off watching Friends. That show stinks.

32. Daquido_Bazzini says:

Possibly….But it’s almost July.

33. Karen22 says:

+++++++++++++++++++

RUINING my game!! Has everyone gone insane?

34. cmat0829 says:

Good to have a quick turnaround after that turd of a game last night. LETS GO BUCS.

The problem I have with the new ‘blocking the plate’ rule is that much like lots of rules and judgment calls, NO COMMON SENSE WHATSOEVER IS APPLIED TO THE CALL. I don’t have a huge problem with the league trying to eliminate the collisions at home plate (Posey’s injury jarred the league execs), but it is beyond explanation that a FORCE PLAY, not a TAG PLAY, falls under the blocking the plate rule without the ball rule. GIVE ME A BREAK. APPLY COMMON SENSE PLEASE.

If the catcher blocks the plate without the ball in a clear attempt to get an out he otherwise wouldn’t have, then go ahead and call it. But a FORCE PLAY???

So, here’s my suggestion for Joe Torre, who I think is a good man but is beyond his element on this:

1) get rid of the stupid rule, go back to how baseball has been played for 130 years
    2) If we can’t do 1, make a rule that says the runner can NOT barrel into the catcher. Period. Sliding into the foot and pushing past the block is fine… as is sliding around and swiping the base… but no Posey-esque collisions, with the onus on the runner.

That is all that needs to be done to avoid Posey type of scenarios.

35. Karen22 says:

TOUCHE!!

36. cmat0829 says:

Prepare yourselves to be UNDERWHELMED with (1) players who are actually available to acquire in a trade and (2) the COST it will take to get them.

Many ‘in the know’ are indicating that there will be very few Sellers at the deadline and those that do will not likely be desparate so their asking prices will be sky high.

37. Dom says:

You’re right. I’m being too hard on Pedro.

I’m actually a big fan.

#2 is already part of the Posey rule. That was the main reason for adopting the rule because of how Cousins barreled into him.

”a runner attempting to score may not deviate from his direct pathway to the plate in order to initiate contact with the catcher (or other player covering home plate).” A runner violating the rule will be declared out, even if the fielder drops the ball.”

39. Andrew says:

Pedro Alvarez was never a middle of the order bat and never will be. Putting a guy with .308 career OBP high in the order it just asking for stranded runners and that is what the Pirates have gotten.

40. Nate83 says:

Pitching is expensive and that’s why I think the plan is to bank on those pitchers working out and assembling a starting staff that cost about 20-30 million with maybe one outside free agent (mid-later rotation type) Then use the remainder of payroll to fill out the roster with some mid level free agent everyday players. If Hanson, Reese both contribute at the major league level you really are only talking about 1st, 3rd and SS/2B depending on where Hanson plays.

The problem is sh*t happens like it did to Taillon and sometimes those guys don’t develope or all become number 4′s and 5′s. Really almost any route they go is a roll of the dice but it’s most important to be honest about what you have and what they may become prospect wise so your roll of the dice has a little better odds.

I really won’t question either direction (trade prospects or build around prospects) because I will assume they know those players better then myself and are doing the right thing. I may question the return they get in the trade or who the traded but on the overall plan. Both have worked and both have failed.

41. Andrew says:

Looking toward the off-season Mark Trumbo brought back Tyler Skaggs. Trumbo had another year of control but plays first.

42. Reading says:

25 HRs in September will equalize things.

Come over to my house tonight, Dom, my air conditioner is out and I need a big fan. ;-)

The second Wild Card changed things a lot.

Also, not getting compensation for mid-season pickups.

46. bpn8pitt says:

Thinking about it over lunch, I thought about last year.

You had Cole come up mid-season. Here’s a guy #1 overall pick pedigree, and I think since this time last year his numbers are top 10-15 in the NL. Thats great.

You had Liriano, who Im pretty sure was one of the best low risk FA signings of the last 15-20 years. Pretty much had a career year winning 15-16 games, probably should have been closer to 20?

Add in AJ’s consistency and Morton midseason, Locke’s first half plus anything else im missing….and it still only got you to the 5th Game of the NLDS.

Thats a lot of things that went right, or turned out better than anyone expected and they still didnt get into the final 4 teams.

2013 was pretty special….I just dont see lighting striking twice like that with young pitchers and signing low risk free agent pitchers “trying to re-establish their value.”

Time to go get some proven, good to high caliber pitching…which like you all have indicated is not cheap $$$ or prospect wise to acquire.

47. bpn8pitt says:

Threw away my Volquez bobblehead, cmat. Didnt think you would want it…

48. The Gunner says:

Great info on Daydro – maybe he’ll poke a couple today!

49. Maz in Iowa says:

Slow start and the usual error

50. Reading says:

Perfect gamed through 3. That’ll be a fitting end to this series beatdown.

51. Maz in Iowa says:

If it wasn’t for the starting pitching,bullpen,and the defense this wouldn’t be a bad Pirate team……wait I guess that means……crap!

52. Nate83 says:

Absolutely. They did have a lot go right last year. I don’t think Cole and Morton are a bad starting point. I don’t see them spending money or prospects to get that high caliber pitcher. I’m hoping they are willing to go 3-4 years on a pitcher that might be just a notch below high end. Maybe a solid number 3 that could be a number 2. Somebody in the 10-13 million per year range. History says they won’t go past 2 years but that gets you pitchers with questions trying to reestablish their value and like you said that’s trying to catch lightning in the bottle every year.

Maybe they start using players like Pedro and Walker to trade for players that are either already pitching in the majors or in AAA and ready to contribute soon. The next 3-4 years really is the first time they have had pieces to have options on what to do. I know they had good pieces in 2009-2010 (Bay, Nady, Wilson and Sanchez) but they where in a require quantity mode at that point and besides Bay I’m not sure exactly how valuable those players were on the the trade market.

53. Nate83 says:

oops.

Acquire players not require player. Obviously players are required to play the game.

54. Andrew says:

You need a lot of things to go right to win. Looking toward 2015, the Pirates definitely need a veteran with top of the rotation upside and maybe a back of the rotation guy depending on how Locke, Cumpton, Worely pitch the reminder of the year.

Remember though paying for pitching doesn’t guarantee results, Jimenez has been abysmal in Baltimore, Linicecum bad in San Francisco and Graza has been okay, but the Brewers admitted when the signed him they expect him to miss time due to his injury history.

I’m fine with Burnett or Liriano like deals, and the Pirates have drafted pitching to avoid having to pay top dollar on pitching.

55. Maz in Iowa says:

Polanco streak is still alive

“I’m hoping they are willing to go 3-4 years on a pitcher that might be just a notch below high end. Maybe a solid number 3 that could be a number 2. ”

Not seeing it Nate. You see what guys like Homer Bailey and Edwin Jackson got? And Jorge de la Rosa 3 years ago? I don’t think they’ll ever go after the type of pitcher you described and I don’t think they want to. Too much injury risk too for that kind of money. I’ve always felt that Neal wants to go primarily internal with the rotation and supplement as needed like they did with A.J. and Volquez.

+++

58. Nate83 says:

Reds are good at scoring their leadoff hits in this series. The Pirates have been horrible. To many empty outs when leadoff guy gets hit. They must find a way to move these guys up even when they make outs.

59. dennis g. says:

I think you forgot the horrible base running and impotent bats at third, first, short and backup catcher. Hurdle must be a genius.

60. tomf says:

Alvarez hit fairly well last year with runners in scoring position – this year (to date) he has not

Alvarez fielding was not good last year – and this year it has been worse

he has struggled to throw with consistency – and has not been able to field balls in play that he should field (and in some cases was not charged with an error)

Alvarez is an athletic big man – would not be surprised if he gets it together and in a big way

but at this point – especially June – he has been a disappointment at the plate and his fielding has become enough of an issue to sit him

you cannot continue to play a guy at 3B that cannot make the throw

61. bpn8pitt says:

Andrew and +++21,

The plan (I thought) was by the end of 2014 you had and ace with Cole, and a bonafide 2 with Taillon, Morton #3 with Liriano, Locke Volquez ect rounding it out.

Right now they have a bonafide #2 in Cole and a bunch of question marks.

The pitching at AA and AAA, the 2015 Free agent list…more question marks.

This isnt a team coming about of a 20 year abyss anymore. It has talent. Time to add to it.

62. Nate83 says:

Veteran with top of the rotation upside?

Are you talking about Haran, Hudson, Colon type players or somebody like Price? I would argue that the first 3 are just more expensive versions of Liriano with a little more consistant track records but still come in with question. I’m not saying I’m opposed to such a move. I just wanted clarification.

I honestly would rather that then the Liriano type move. It’s a different kind of roll of the dice. You are banking on them not falling off a cliff stats wise because of age or injury because they are more consistant when healthy over their career. With Liriano you needed him to be both healthy and reaching his potential which his history proves doesn’t always happen which obviuosly make him more risky and cheaper.

I personally think it’s time to get out of the shallow end and at least dip our toes in the deep end and have our risk become a little more expensive with a higher chance of at least good results with a high upside.

63. hockeymonster says:

Sounds like all the more reason to trade Walker and Pedro this off season when you can get a TON for them. OF is locked up and set for 6-8 years which gives them a chance to load up on infield prospects, including long term 2B and 3B. I would use savings to sign a legit SS(if one is out there) and pitching then hope you can take over the NL in a couple seasons with a IF that’s just as set as OF. Just dont see the point in paying walker and pedro 30M if it means you have to sacrifice pitching.

64. Nate83 says:

bpn

I think a solid number 2 is very fair for Cole. He hasn’t really regressed but at the same time doesn’t exactly look dominate. Still a long way to go on the season. I think Morton has become a solid number 3 but they definately have some work to do to round out the rotation in 2015. If this was 2010 I would say just tread water until some of these young arms arrive but the team has enough offensively to compete. The pitching needs to have more answers and fewers questions going into next year.

Well Tim Hudson is a heckuva lot more consistent than Liriano!

66. Maz in Iowa says:

Locke is looking good

67. Jag7 says:

Is there some reason Polanco isn’t allowed to steal? Or don’t the Pirates think he can handle that yet (since they treat the young guys like they’re 5 years old). If he steals and he’s on 2nd, Gaby’s hit scores him. Oh well, at this rate we won’t have to watch Grilli gag up another win.

68. Nate83 says:

21 I agree completely and that is why I pointed out history shows they do not go over 2 years on any free agent pitcher or everyday player. I agree with the plan but there is a gap in the plan and that is 2015 and maybe even 2016. Taillon’s injury has a lot to do with that. I think the team looks like they could be good enough defensively to not try and fill probably two spots in the rotation next year with players that are maybe’s or considered catching lighting type players.

69. Maz in Iowa says:

D’oh ….balk by Homer.Woo hoo

70. Baywatch says:

Gotta love some Stewart! Reminds me more of a factory machinist than a ball player. And he MUSCLED a machinist’s hit there!

71. Nate83 says:

That’s what I was saying but because of age and recent injuries he doesn’t come without risk. That being said personally that is the direction I would like to go instead of Liriano, Edinson type players next year.

72. Maz in Iowa says:

Yes!!There is life by the Pirates

73. Nate83 says:

It would be nice for Cutch to keep this going and get the lead in this inning.

74. Baywatch says:

I don’t like the bad sportsmanship stuff, chanting “Homer” or “Cueto.” Just me.

75. Nate83 says:

Yes!!! Let’s salvage this series.

76. Maz in Iowa says:

Conga line.Love it

77. Florida Steeler says:

An outfielder with an arm!!!!! Great throw by Marte. Arriba, maybe there is ONE???

78. The Gunner says:

The Bucs need to add some more runs right now!

79. Baywatch says:

“Singin’ Barmey Army Doodle All Day!”

80. Maz in Iowa says:

Barmes is a hitting machine. :)

81. TJA says:

Have been out of the loop the past few days, but w/Polanco and all his hitting….has the countdown to DiMaggio’s streak been discussed. Ha!

82. Maz in Iowa says:

Time for some more runs!

83. The Gunner says:

Seriously, Clint is a good guy to have around for the everyday low discount price $2 million per year.

84. Maz in Iowa says:

Locke is probably done.Great job of pitching and also the last at bat was excellent too

85. Baywatch says:

They can tick you off at times, but I’ll just be DARNED if I don’t love my Pirates!

86. Maz in Iowa says:

Polanco chasing after Ted Williams for that elusive .400 batting avg. :)

Ayyyyyyyyy Jayyyyyyyyyy!

July 4 – July 6!

88. Chuck H says:

What happened with the bases loaded and the Reds were changing pitchers, but it took them 1/2 hour to change. Polanco was due up. What happened? Gameday sometimes sucks!

Rain delay.

90. TJA says:

Sooo true, Bay!

91. Maz in Iowa says:

Resume in 12-15 minutes

92. Chuck H says:

Thanks!

93. Florida Steeler says:

Rutherford says he has Pens coach–just doing some last minute vetting.

94. Maz in Iowa says:

3:05

95. Nate83 says:

They may think you are chanting HJay and by then he may reach MVP status so it might actually make sense.

I figured I could cover both with one. Yeah, that’s the ticket!

97. Nate83 says:

Forget what I said it makes absolutely no sense since it’s JHay. I’m not sure what I was thinking.

98. Andrew says:

bpn, I think the signing of Volquez has left a bad taste. The Pirates paid Wandy and Burnett $8 million/year, they wanted to sign Edwin Jackson for 3 years $30 million. The Pirates will pay for pitching, not $15 million/year and they aren’t going to sign top tier starters like Cueto or Scherzer, nor should they big money long term contracts for pitching is fraught with risk.

I want no part of David Price, he will cost prospects to get him then $20 million in salary next year the opportunity cost could not be higher. Team like the As and the Rays didn’t build rotations by paying big money for pitching. Even the Braves and Nationals, teams in bigger markets with more revenue aren’t giving out $50 million free agent contracts to pitchers, the Braves signed Santana after injuries forced their hand.

99. Nate83 says:

Well that was a long wait for a none storybook ending. I fully expected grand slam coming out of the rain delay. Let’s see if Locke comes out for the 7th. I’m guessing no but it was a good outing for him in a line of good outings. He’s looking like he could be a piece of the the rotation the rest of this year and beyond.

100. Maz in Iowa says:

Saving Grilli for the 9th

I hope so, but I remember thinking that last year, Nate. Hopefully, he’s learned from last year. But, he didn’t pitch all that well in AAA this season. So, I’m staying cautious with him on my predictions.

I know. I was just being polite.

With all we’ve been through in the past 21.5 years, I’d say we are all in that category, Bay.

104. Andrew says:

Watson with a great escape there.

Our bullpen and their recent struggles to find the strike zone. It’s as though they are all suddenly infected with that illness.

106. Nate83 says:

Agree very cautious. The nice think is he has plenty of time left this year to show us for sure if he is or isn’t an option for 2015.

107. Maz in Iowa says:

Gotta say the McClouth trade with Morton/Locke was one of the better trades in recent memory.

108. Nate83 says:

Was Harrison’s defensive play as good as they made it sound on the radio????

If so then what is going on with Josh Harrison? The guy is proving me wrong daily and I am perfectly fine with that.

Feel free to add on here, boys!

110. Nate83 says:

Don’t forget Gorky :) He helped bring us Snider who can take a punch in the eye really well.

111. Maz in Iowa says:

2 quick outs. :(

Yep, and it could be that he won’t let another golden opportunity to solidify a rotation spot get away. I will say that he doesn’t seem to be nibbling as much this year. Or, maybe it is just that his control is a lot better. It felt to me last year that he was not as confident in his stuff as he is now. Part of maturing, I guess.

113. Maz in Iowa says:

8 pitches.Wow

114. The Gunner says:

It’s time for the bullpen to do their job now.

115. Patrick(ri) says:

So far, so good with the dreaded 8th and 9th, as Melancon is on his game.

116. Maz in Iowa says:

Another Grilli sighting?

117. Nate83 says:

It would be nice to add a run or two. Watson…. Melancon…..and now the really scary part is coming in the 9th.

118. buggee says:

LMAO!!!! +++++++++++++++++

And Snider can pitch (I’m really sorry I missed that).

120. Patrick(ri) says:

And he used to strike terror in the hearts of the opposition.

121. The Gunner says:

Pedro must love being pinch hit for

From a degree of difficulty standpoint, I’m actually glad Melancon faced the guys he faced, rather than having Grilli face them. That doesn’t mean it will work out, but so far so good. I’m not as big on who pitches the 9th as I am on who faces the meat of the lineup.

I have wondered, in fact, why no one actually tracks (at least, not that I am aware of) the batting avg,, OB% & slug% of the guys one reliever faces vs. another during the course of the season.

123. Maz in Iowa says:

Barmes the hitting machine!

Future Arbitration Hearing:

“Mr. Boras, Jordy Mercer pinch hit for you client on June 19″

I think in this case, he is being pinch hit and pinch fielded for.

126. The Gunner says:

Pedro’s pattern has been that he does better in the daytime. Based on that, I would have let him bat even though Parra is a lefty.

Then you could still use Mercer as a defensive replacement.

Let’s see what Grilli has today!

127. Karen22 says:

I am NOT Grilli comfortable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

128. Karen22 says:

OH MY GOD!!! GO AWAY, CHEESE!!

129. Florida Steeler says:

Hurdle makes me sick!!!

130. Maz in Iowa says:

AGAIN!!!!!!

131. Nate83 says:

Is Hurdle ready to give up on Grilli yet? Can’t continue to do this.

132. pattonbb says:

Incredible….just incredible….

133. The Gunner says:

It’s time, Nate – this is BS

134. Baywatch says:

Have they ever DFA’d somebody between pitches?

If Mike Lange was the play-by-play guy for the Pirates, I wonder if the Jason Grilli home run call would be:

“And you get signed copy of my autobiography!”

-or-

“Get out of the fast lane Grandma, the book signing is about to begin!”

136. Patrick(ri) says:

The outs are belted. Don’t think he can fool anybody these days.

137. twentytwo22 says:

valverde him

It”s now just ridiculous to allow Gtrilli to protect a lead in a close game past the 6th inning.

139. Patrick(ri) says:

Question: is a deep, “no doubles” defense the best use of a really fast outfield? A couple of steps in, and that is an easy out.

140. Breakthestreak says:

Time to give up on Hurdle maybe? The base running is awful, defense has slipped and he is living in the past with Grilli who should not be a late inning guy. Remember that Hurdles Rockies team had lousy bull pens for most of his time there

141. twentytwo22 says:

This is the point in the movie when Billy Beane trades Carlos Pena.

142. The Gunner says:

Absolutely disgusting performance by Grilli, Jim.

143. Nate83 says:

Except for Martin all of NH’s moves that turned to gold last year are now turning to dust. Baseball is a crazy game. You just never know what will happen one year to the next.

Let’s get a walk off. Bullpen doesn’t have much available to go in long relief. Hughes can go 2 innings then you have to probably start considering using Worley which would require somebody coming up to pitch his game in two days.

144. Parrothead says:

Grow a pair Clint. Change you closer.

145. Patrick(ri) says:

Look at it as an opportunity for an uplifting walk off! Just do not load the bases.

146. tomf says:

to fully appreciate this

please watch ‘The Man With Two Brains’ (Steve Martin movie)

Dr H (Steve Martin) is looking for a sign from ‘above’ – to determine if his decision is a good one

spinning room, flickering lights, hurricane-like winds follow

and then Dr H exclaims: OK – all is well

This is Clint Hurdle

all the signs are there – but he continues to send Grilli to the hill in a key save situation

My hair is now officially on fire

I have that same question, Patrick. I thought the point of a fast OF was to cut off a big portion of the gaps. I hate watching them lined up across the OF just in front of the warning track. I also hate 3b playing so close to the bag to cut off doubles that they can touch the foul line w/o moving their feet.

I suppose there is math that supports it, but it feels like the prevent defense in football. I suppose that works usually also.

149. Florida Steeler says:

++++++

So those 94 regular season wins, the Wild Card win, and additional playoff game wins…just last year….aren’t good enough? Time to give up on June 19?

151. Andrew says:

Cannot complain about location, Grilli never had location. His pitches aren’t not good enough, everything was hit hard that inning, no wonder he didn’t go in the zone in Miami.

153. Baywatch says:

Get a runner for The Machinist! Bring in Martin!

Odds of Snider hitting a 4-6-3, anyone?

155. Patrick(ri) says:

Pinch runner?..

156. Nate83 says:

That seems a little harsh. I actually think he has been tough on some players when needed this year more then in the past and pulled the right strings more often then not. I agree he has stayed with Grilli longer then I would have but that hardly deserves to give up on him. I don’t know what he has to do with a lousy bullpen. That would fall on the GM’s and pitching coaches shoulders. Grilli aside I think he has done a good job managing the bullpen in some tough situations this year.

157. Nate83 says:

You forgot Coach of the year award recognizing him as the best at his job. Just a little thing but I thought it warrented being added.

158. Nate83 says:

I hate Billy Hamilton!!!

159. tomf says:

Hamilton just damaged the wall padding in CF

a replay should award the batter first base

160. TJA says:

A bad day at work is only seen by a few people for most of us. For a ballplayer/manager/coach, their bad day at work is seen by ALL of us. As Bay said earlier…this team drives us nuts, but we still love them. Hang in their Jason. Go Bucs!

161. pattonbb says:

+++

162. Breakthestreak says:

What a catch. Hamilton does nothing against any other team but kills the Bucs.

163. Florida Steeler says:

He gets paid a lot of money to do a job. He is not doing it so time to find someone that earns their salary.

164. Nate83 says:

0% using not statistics…….but yes I was fearing the same thing before he didn’t.

165. Nate83 says:

That was supposed to be now statistics. I can’t type today.

He is killing us. But, in fairness, he has been hitting better. He hit 2 HR last weekend.

167. Patrick(ri) says:

This kid is a scary good hitter, even thorough he did not succeed this time

168. Baywatch says:

Can we get a runner for Stewart?

169. Patrick(ri) says:

Apparently not.

He won’t want to walk Marte with Cutch awaiting.

171. Nate83 says:

This won’t happen for awhile but if given the choice of sending Worley back down and possible losing him to waivers or putting him in the bullpen and DFA’ing Grilli I think I would have to keep Worley at this point.

But, Broxton did because he’s not that good.

173. Nate83 says:

Well if nothing else the blown save allows us to see Cutch vs. Chapman which is an awesome match up.

174. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Ok so I might be on the side of removing Grilli from the closers role.

I’d start with MM, possibly closer by committee. Watson on the lefties.

175. Patrick(ri) says:

Credit to Reds Mgr. If you have a gun, bring it to the knife fight.

176. Breakthestreak says:

They will send Cumpton down who had options

177. Patrick(ri) says:

This is the opportunity for our hero.

178. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

So Chapman coming in to pitch to Cutch.

Doubt he gets hit this time.

A base knock would be nice though.

179. pattonbb says:

Grilli has to go. Sorry. He’s one of my favorite Bucs, but his time here should be over.

180. Nate83 says:

Thats when Cole comes back when Liriano comes back the options will be Locke and Worley. Locke has options left but is pitching to good to be sent down at this point.

181. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I don’t see any senerio where they DFA Grilli.

182. Baywatch says:

Good news, Chapman up first? Do we only see him for one out? Or did they double switch?

Assuming Chapman will pitch again next inning as well.

184. Baywatch says:

I second that emotion.

185. Patrick(ri) says:

Do not walk him. make him get a triple on his own!

But, it isn’t just closer. Protecting small leads in the 7th and 8th are often just as important. He can’t pitch in those situations, either.

187. tomf says:

with due respect to Greg Brown

many of the borderline pitches he labeled balls – were strikes (if not most or all)

He can pitch in those innings when we’re behind.

Todd Frazier just kills us this year, it seems.

190. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

What is Cutch’s BA with runners in scoring position?

That looked like the Pirates running the bases ;-)

192. Patrick(ri) says:

Has this guy got a bet on the Pirates, or what?

193. twentytwo22 says:

Frazier with 2 outs on the bases today, I think.

That’s what I think. Keeping a game close is not an unimportant role. But, it certainly isn’t as important as protecting a small lead in the late innings.

195. Patrick(ri) says:

Get on for J hay.

I haven’t looked in a week or so, but it was well over .300 as of then.

197. Nate83 says:

It’s hoovering around .300 and is pretty consistant between 1-3, 4-6 and 7-9th inning splits.

198. Steelag70 says:

Can Barmes get a crack at Chapman? ;)

199. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Chapman is unhittable. Get through this, hold the Reds and beat their next guy.

Just checked.

.322/.455/.576/1.031

He has been great in just about every type of situation this year.

201. Nate83 says:

They just said on the radio that he has retired 33 of the last 37 hitters he faced. Pretty impressive. I wonder if they ever try to convert him to a starter?

202. Steelag70 says:

I think they debated it in the offseason…

203. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

They did or at least talked about it.

204. Steelag70 says:

Make that 34 of the last 38…he shortens games to 8 innings…

Neveritt is painful on radio. On TV, I don’t need him as much to tell me what is going on. On radio, the crowd generally tells me what happened long before he figures it out.

206. Parrothead says:

To pretty evenly matched teams, except for the glaring difference at closer. The Reds have a closer that’s lights out, and the Pirates have a closer that continuously gets lit up.

207. Patrick(ri) says:

With the development of their catcher and the arrival and fast improvement of Hamilton, I am starting to think these guys will end up in the World Series.

Off-season before last year, I believe.

209. Maz in Iowa says:

Must be the Pittsburgh chapter of the “Grilli Fan Club”

Before the 2012 and 2013 seasons, the plan was for Chapman to become a starter. But both times they changed their minds. I believe in 2013 it was Chapman who wanted to stay in the bullpen.

Watson and Melancon are probably better than anyone else they have out of the pen.

212. hockeymonster says:

Peters to Carolina. I haven’t had much input on the subject but I keep wondering why not Crawford?

213. Nate83 says:

Nice job by Hughes. Bullpen going forward with leads of 1 or 2 runs should be 7th – Hughes, 8th – Watson, 9th – Melancon. Grilli can be used in blow outs or games we are down by 2 or 3. Maybe he can prove himself and return to a more prominant role but as of right now it’s bad for the team to go through this everytime he pitches.

214. The Gunner says:

Jim

Sounds like you are proposing that Grilli more or less becomes the mop up man, quite a comedown for him.

I guess he’s earned it!

215. Patrick(ri) says:

Good. The “no bunt” offense!

216. Florida Steeler says:

I agree??

217. pattonbb says:

You can’t stop Clint Barmes, you can only hope to…..

218. Florida Steeler says:

Barmes may have just solidified his position on the roster when Walker returns??

219. pattonbb says:

I’d be surprised to see the Reds make it to the WS. They’re underachievers at heart.

220. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Where was he going?

221. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Agreed, but perhaps Grilli goes back on the DL

222. Florida Steeler says:

Rumor on other blog-it would either be him or Snider gone.

223. Nate83 says:

I don’t think he ever was in danger. He’s a perfect bench player and is the only protection against any long term injury to our middle infielder.

224. Brandie says:

What happened? Why is baseball still on? Why is Vance Worley batting in this universe?

225. hockeymonster says:

why the ?

226. toochca says:

Grilli happened!!

227. Patrick(ri) says:

Return of the bad news bunkers!

228. Nate83 says:

Because 1 year of good things happening for the Pirate fans is the limit. This is why we can’t have nice things.

229. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Not that I think he or anybody else has a chance against Chapman, just seems like he’s been struggling a bit in that situation.

230. Florida Steeler says:

I agree but as Smizik said–he is only 2 million if they cannot trade Tabata. And, we know the history of Pirate finances.

231. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Please tell me where you found these numbers

232. Patrick(ri) says:

“Bunters,”of course. What a bad choice with these inept bunkers. If they are great hunters, it is still a bad play. Take 3 shots to win.

I have a question. If bunting is so difficult, why keep doing it?

234. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

No way…that’s the reason I avoid the “other blog.”

235. Brandie says:

The very definition of insanity.

236. pattonbb says:

This is not Clint Hurdle’s finest hour, either.

237. Florida Steeler says:

Someone has to go if there is no trade.

238. Patrick(ri) says:

If you get a lead off double from Barmes and don’t do anything — you deserve the painful loss.

Why do people insist on tinkering with something so good? There’s a reason someone made him a reliever in the first place. But, some baseball people autmaticallly assume you can just take all his stats and multiply by 7. I hope they actually do it. He probably won’t be throwing 100 MPH much past the 2nd inning.

240. Andrew says:

Travis Snider.

241. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

That actually makes no sense. Which is why I stopped going to Smizik’s blog.

Barmes is doing exactly what he was brought in to do (this year) and should absolutely be here after NW comes back for the reasons Nate said above.

Barmes is $2 million, still more expensive than Tabata and/or Snider.

There are still other senerio’s, but I see Snider as the odd man out. Would’ve like to have seen him hit that HR in the 9th, because of that

242. Florida Steeler says:

He sends up a guy to bunt that has not had a successful sacrifice for TWO YEARS!!! I swear the bubble gun affects his thinking.

Baseballreference.com, Nor Cal.

Walk said Barmes’ ball was maybe 2 feet from clearing the fence. Been that kind of day … and season.

245. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Bunting is an art.

I’m sure it’s practiced, especially by the starting pitchers, but I’m also sure the opposing pitchers are taught how to pitch in bunting situations.

Not all that easy.

246. Florida Steeler says:

But, they like Snider as the left hand pinch hitter off the bench and he does have good numbers. It will be a tough call.

+++

248. Andrew says:

I guess I missed this, Cingrani is out the rotation then.

Yep. Has to be. Unless he’s going to be the new LOOGY. ;-)

250. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

A lefty is always good off the bench, but outside of that, he’s much more limited than Tabata.

I see something else happening, rather than anyone being DFA’d at this point.

Probably a “pulled hammy” or “sore shoulder” coming on.

251. Brandie says:

And almost 5 hours later this thing still isn’t decided. I understand the rain delay but come on!

252. Steelag70 says:

Agreed…but the Buccos should still be able to do a much better job than they have this season…

253. Steelag70 says:

Like I said the other night…thuis next offseason will be a huge one for this team…

254. Brandie says:

Remember when that used to be a positive statement?

255. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

A balk makes more sense as to why Gaby almost got picked.

Huge balk. As a former LHP, I applaud the effort.

I read a tweet that there are 30,700 at the game today. I think that makes about 78,000 for the 3 games for a weekday series.

He’s not very good at baseball.

258. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

True, we also wish they’ve won every single game and players batting 1.000

It’s a lot easier said than done, bunting that is, not the sarcastic part I mentioned.

259. Steelag70 says:

I had to drive through there for work today….doesn’t surprise me of that number. Traffic was rough going through there this morning.

I’d be surprised if the Reds made the playoffs. Not a good team.

261. Andrew says:

Keeping Snider because of performance in 35 pinch at bats is idiocy. Snider is .241/.309/.398 with 91 wRC+, against RHP.

Tabata is a better hitter against RHP, I really wish people who write on baseball would read up of sample size and variation, writers make themselves look very dumb with statements like that.

262. chethejet1 says:

Well the good news is the game is still on.
    the bad news……..
    Anyway losing Tallion was just a killer this year. He was the jumper cables in this years rotation. Of course the Bucs will find a way……..

Outs are precious. I wish they would not give so many away just about every game trying to gain 1 base. And, generally, they don’t even get that one base.

264. Brandie says:

The curse of Coonelly. Time to exorcise him.

265. Andrew says:

You mean you need more than one pitch?

266. Brandie says:

The bad news…the game is still on.

+++, Andrew.

Shocker, right?

269. Brandie says:

The good news…Hustle Martinis up!

270. chethejet1 says:

I want martin to stand 6 inches from home plate and hope for a winning hit batsman.

271. Florida Steeler says:

But, you need a left hand pinch hitter regardless of your stats. And, Snider has done well pinch hitting and that is a fact.

272. Patrick(ri) says:

Bases loaded. May not be suitable watching for children.

273. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

I’m sure they do, but do they get bunting % stats?

Successful? Runners scoring off of it?

NMR, FanGraph that baby up for me

Wonder if 24/7 was able to find a parking place.

275. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Where that pitch!!

Leather looks good on ya RM.

276. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Like the pitch he just jumped out of the way of?

But I’m sure he’ll find his way back into the rotation as soon as Alfredo Simon hits the second act of his Jeff Locke impression.

Well, Gunner, I’d say that is how it should be for right now. I trust MM, TW, JW, JH all more than him – and probably Stolmy also.

If he can get it back together, like anyone, he can earn a more prominent role as time goes on.

279. chethejet1 says:

thanks ump I owe ya one.

280. Brandie says:

WALK OFF WALK WIN!!!!!!!

281. Patrick(ri) says:

Lol!

You can’t explain away everything. They stink at bunting.

283. Steelag70 says:

Finally!! Raise it!!

284. The Gunner says:

I bet they end up putting Grilli on the DL

285. pattonbb says:

At least they got the win.

I’ll take it. Absolutely had to have that win. Back to only -2 vs. .500. 4 games under would have been a killer.

Still can’t get a hit with the bases full. :-) :-) :-)

Just kidding! Russ Martin: Walk Machine.

288. Maz in Iowa says:

UUUUggllyyyyyyyy.We’ll take it!

289. Andrew says:

Needs a secondary pitch, can you image Red’s blogs right about now?

290. Steelag70 says:

Agreed Jim….

291. Baywatch says:

Robby!! With the usual STUPID question!!

FanGraphs would never dare waste bandwidth with such gobbleygook.

293. chethejet1 says:

Brandie say that fast three times.
    did Bob Walk call that over his walke talke?

294. Maz in Iowa says:

Walk off walk

295. Steelag70 says:

Should be another interesting post game from Bubblegum Hurdle…

296. Baywatch says:

I’m being a bad boy: I’d rather have the Grilli DFA than the win!

+++

Taking Red Eye home from Seattle tonight. I have tickets for Bucs-Cubs tomorrow. Not sure I can make it. Ok, yeah, I can make it.

299. hockeymonster says:

Pens need to be careful to not be used as leverage. Have a feeling Peters’ people just put the squeeze on carolina by using us. Looking at Crawford is starting to make more and more sense to me.

“But, you need a left hand pinch hitter regardless of your stats.”

Which chapter is that in the rule book?

301. Tom P. says:

The words “favorable schedule” to mind. Between now and July 6, the Pirates don’t play a team above 4th place.

302. Steelag70 says:

Kiss Niskanen goodbye if that happens….

303. Brandie says:

HA!!!!

You say this fast three times…

Walk Off Walks Rock!

304. Steelag70 says:

It will be interesting to see what happens, if anything, with Grilli’s role in the pen…

305. War_Horse says:

Except for the homer off Grilli in the 10th, a first rate performance by Locke and the bullpen. Too many missed changes by the hitters. Nice game by Barmes, especially.

306. hockeymonster says:

Look for Ulf to use us as leverage to get a monster deal from VAN or FLA.

A shred of command would probably help as well.

308. Andrew says:

Snider has hit, .228/.319/.331 in 145 plate appearances this year, why would anyone think that a sample of 35 is a better indication of ability? I have nothing against Snider but why carry a 5th outfielder who doesn’t really do anything well? The guy hasn’t hit at league average since 2010. I just don’t think there is much of an argument.

309. War_Horse says:

Homer off Grilli in the 9th, I meant.

310. hockeymonster says:

and not necessarily.

311. Mike Shigley says:

A walk walk-off win is partial payback for our pitchers’ walking games. And, has anyone else noticed that with that second walk Russell Martin’s on base percentage is second on the team only to Cutch’s (and just two points back)?

312. Maz in Iowa says:

The last time Barmes’ avg was .263 this late in the season was……..??

313. Brandie says:

Golum agrees!

All I know is that it’s good to see everyone give Pedro his due for doubles in back-to-back games.

*crickets*

315. Brandie says:

When Fred Flintstone worked in the quarry?

Have any fun while you were out there, Jim?

317. Steelag70 says:

I know money talks, but I was living in DFW when Niskanen was playing for the Stars. He didn’t like playing for Crawford…

Hurdle’s press conference is on, lets see if someone asks him about it

319. Brandie says:

Way to ho Pedro.

Remember when they thought he was Chris Sale II? Ha.

321. Brandie says:

Really meant go. (Sheepishly steps away from the blog)

He hung a slider that stayed up and stayed in the middle. They will make a decision about where to pitch him, so they are thinking about doing something.

That was in response to Grilli

324. Chuck H says:

Well, I see Hurdle has not learned a lesson yet, about sending in closer Grilli in the 9th with only a 1run lead. Come on, Bubblegum head!!! How many saves does he have to blow, until you do learn???

Enough dodging.

Let’s get to what everyone really wants to know: why isn’t Pedro being interviewed about blowing another game today?

326. Andrew says:

(See the first post.)

327. Rock Ain't Dead says:

D’oh!

328. Breakthestreak says:

Missed end of game– No wonder we won!! We’ll take it. Grilli to the 5th inning or mop up duty and let’s take 3 from the Cubbies

Tweets from Travis and others said pretty much every ball that inning was tagged.

Well, I predicted a HR and another XBH last night.

331. Andrew says:

I got see watch a rare weekday day game, and yes everything was barreled up, and there wasn’t a swing and miss.

332. hockeymonster says:

I see. But nisky is a better player now so one can hope. And one can hope that we’re past words like “like” determining much.

I really don’t see him getting a shot with a small lead in the 7th, 8th or 9th again any time soon.

Yeah, I had a break Tues afternoon and took in the Pads-Mariners at Safeco. Very cool ballpark.

Last night, we rented out the Boeing Museum of Flight. That was great. Lots of cool planes, including the AF1 where LBJ was sworn in.

Weather has actually been pretty good, too.

335. pattonbb says:

Yea Pedro. You’re right. Very encouraging. But waiting for back to back games with rbi.

Good for you, Jim. Sounds fun.

Hahahahaha, I absolutely knew that was coming.

TEH RBI!!!

Long week, but fun.

339. cmat0829 says:

i wanted it … maybe now they can have a version with him being boosted back into the dumpster by NH .. just kidding, not off the bandwagon on 1 start….

340. cmat0829 says:

You and Jim Bowden and absolutely NO ONE ELSE thinks that.

341. cmat0829 says:

the next time Bob Smizik makes ANY SENSE WHATSOEVER will be the first. Not sure I’d waste much time contemplating the ‘thoughts’ of that grumpy old man.

Heard speculation that the coach that won the Calder Cup is the favorite

343. cmat0829 says:

Not every game is a work of art, this one is a W and off to two ballparks that can’t be any more different — Classic Wrigley and the Abomination that is Tropicana Field.

Interesting in that Clint’s patience with Pedro vs. LHP has run out, but until today his patience with Grill’s lack of command had not. But that postgame answer was thinly veiled… they are going to make a move with Grilli. My guess is Melancon will close, with Tony moving to set up… and the incredible Jared Hughes getting the 7th. But Grilli in a ‘hide him until you can guide him (back to reliability)’ role puts pressure on Gomez and Stolmy and Wilson… so the key question is if (how) does Jason bounce back… and what other moves are required because of this demotion….

Decisions are looming. Walker coming back on Tuesday and Cole on Saturday (next). Seems clear that Snider goes and then Cumpton to AAA.

What’d he ask? To Clint, “why is Grilli having trouble?” ;-)

345. Dom says:

Is Grilli done with the closer job at this point?

346. After what happened yesterday with Volquez, It was good to have us win today no matter how that happened. Anyhow, thanks a bunch, Pedro Alvarez for coming through at last!

Sounds like. Even Walk after the game seemed a little stunned.

Has to be.

I heard they went to Ike’s locker. ;-)

You went up in the needle, right?

351. Karen22 says:

Actually, I don’t think he can pitch in any situation anymore. He’s toasted Cheese. And burnt toast at that!

352. Karen22 says:

Hopefully for the rest of the season…and then release him.

353. The Gunner says:

Karen

You sound like a no nonsense type. I missed Hurdle’s press conference but I guess he tipped his hand & mentioned they have to do something with Grilli. So, it appears his closing days are over for now – thank God!

Did not. No time for that, regrettably.

How about Cumpton goes down after his start Sunday and is replaced Monday by Walker. 5 days later Cole replaces Snider.

356. dennis g. says:

lol

357. dennis g. says:

I agree Gunner, though I thought it was the CL.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle