Final: Pirates 2, Cubs 1

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (36-38) vs. Chicago Cubs (31-41)

Time: 2:20 p.m.

Site: Wrigley Field, Chicago

TV, Radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page and our Bucco Blog. Rob Biertempfel is on the scene for the Trib.

Comments

1. Couple Qs for the group this morning:

1. How do you feel about reversing the order of comments, so that newest come first?

The more I’ve worked with this on mobile platforms especially, it’s so, so much easier that way.

2. Is three hours before the game about right for a thread to go up? Too early? Too late? Don’t just think of your favorite sport when answering, please.

3. If I bold-face my comments, would that be helpful, obnoxious or some odd combination of both?

2. Poole says:

1. For me, there’s no indenting on mobile so it is a little difficult to read. Newest first makes sense..just curious how it will look commenting on someone’s okder comment…would it jump the whole mini thread to the top? Leave it down with the older posts? Cause the internet to combust?

3. I think it’d be helpful. Unless you had some way to just highlight your name so longer comments aren’t difficult to read.

I’m an IT guy…I tend to over think these things..

3. Nick says:

I like all 3 ideas

4. godkram says:

sounds good

5. godkram says:

and #3 sounds helpful

6. Maz in Iowa says:

Might be just me,but I think Mercer will be around .270 by late July.Hopefully he’ll have 13(or so )HRs and 50+ RBI by the end of the season.This is just his first full season and I see a little Jay Bell in him.After all when was the last time our Buccos had a SS with decent hitting potential AND a reliable glove?If he could hit 15 HRs and 60-65 RBI in the future that would be great.Not sure if Nutting ponies up the $$ to keep Walker….it’s possible Hanson may end up at 2nd.Just speculating.

7. Daquido_Bazzini says:

DK – I think all three ideas sound fine.

8. dennis g says:

Number one makes for a lot of confusion. You can never understand the sequence unless people put “ATTN: Mr. X” at start of reply. Even then though the comments are quite confusing due to time lag between end of one comment and start of next. This happens now but not to the same extreme. That is, you read a comment and are tempted to respond, but by the time you type a response three other posters have written on different subjects. Scrolling down to find previous post is somehow more difficult. The “other” blog did this for a short time and went back to your current system by acclamation.

9. JoeyBats says:

I like 2 & 3….not #1 so much.

I’d like Nutting to spend more $$$ too….but, don’t always get what I want. ;-)

10. War_Horse says:

Take a look at the way comments are displayed by MLB on line. The content may not be great, but the presentation is excellent. You can set your screen to show newest OR oldest posts first. (And then something called “Hot Blogs, whatever that is.) If you reply to a reply, it is listed beneath the original with further indentations. It would also be nice to have the opportunity to “edit” or “delete” each of your own posts. And simply “Like” another’s post, rather than having to post “+++++” or whatever.
    Start the threads more than three hours beore game time and you won’t have hundreds of comments from the game before clogging up the blog.
    Yes, to highlighting Dejan’s posts.

11. poz says:

I will comment just as a reminder that I’m always reading even if I don’t say anything. For me, DK is head and shoulders above the rest.

Not a fan of #1.

Like #2 and #3.

12. Pucknutz says:

1. Seems fine the way it is, Don’t have mobile so cannot comment on that.
    2. 3 is just about right.
    3. Bold seems like you are talking very loudly….used very sparingly in certain situations would be ok.

Scrolled through last nights blog and was pleasantly surprised at the flow. Much more conversational and light hearted. Rain delay trivia was cool Oshie. DK popping in now and again very nice.

Less Twitter. more blog, chat, etc…

JAL’s Albatross Morning Links

Pirates MiLB recap: 6/21/14

7 Raise the Jolly Roger

Pirates 5 Cubs 3

8 Green Weenie

Bucs Even Series With 5-3 Victory

9 Number Fire

Grilli Out, Melancon In: What’s next for the Pittsburgh Pirates?

10 Bleacher Report

Pittsburgh Pirates: Reaction to Jason Grilli Being Removed as Closer

11 Rumbunter

Great Scot: Episode 18 – Pirates: The Game Plan

NEWSPAPERS and MAGAZINES and Other Media

12 KDKA

Pirates’ Jameson Taillon Hopes To Pitch In Games Next April

13 CBS Sports

Cubs v Pirates Game Preview

14 Chicago Sun Times

Instant replay no help in Cubs’ loss to Pirates

15 Pirates Site

Worley’s solid start gets power boost from Buc’s bats

Hurdle’s successful challenge at first has double impact

16 Cincinnati Enquirer

This time, eight run lead is enough for Reds

17 Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Bizarre play highlights victory

18 St. Louis Post Dispatch

Strauss: Underachiever label on Cards for now

Holliday makes a winner of Wainwright

19 Fangraphs

The Physics of the Bunt

20 Boston Herald

Brock Holt’s play has long hinted at greatness

15. pattonbb says:

My 2 cents – #2 & #3 sound fine. #1 might make replying directly to someone’s post a little confusing.

16. Matt hoffman says:

I like #1 and 3. On #2, I would like to see the post up when the lineups are released.

17. DJ says:

1. Will Replies be indented? If so, OK. If not, don’t like it.
    2. OK.
    3. Don’t like it. That “Don’t-even-think-about-criticizing-soccer” grin in your photo makes you very easy to spot already so no need for bold.

18. DJ says:

Bylsma not getting a HC position is a little surprising.

That will likely change next year but wondering if other teams came to same conclusions about him before we did.

19. DJ says:

. . . or maybe a few players on the US Olympic team spoke to their GMs.

20. War_Horse says:

If I were a starting player on this Pirates’ team, I would be enjoying the games these days a lot less than these guys appear to be. Judging from their attitudes in the dugout, they would appear to be having a good time regardless of what’s going on in the game. Laughing, joking, throwing things around. OK, you win some and you lose some, and – hopefully – you win more than you lose, right? So, why worry about the result while the game is going on? You have to concentrate with all your effort when you’re in the batter’s box or in the field, so why focus your energy on the game when you’re in the dugout? Everything else in the club appears to be going well: attendances are up from last year, the owners are making money hand over fist, and batting averages are way up over 2013. It reminds me of that old comic book expression, “WHAT ME WORRY?”

Look at this: http://rumbunter.com/2014/06/21/great-scot-episode-18-pirates-game-plan/

21. DJ says:

Yeah, sure he’s hitting .365 but he’s got only ONE homer.

[Subbing as pot stirrer until Lucky's back in the saddle]

22. DJ says:

Uh oh, look out.

Made a similar comment about Volquez last week and floodgates opened.

23. Stuart says:

I would favor #1, as long as comments directed at a particular post wou
    S still appear under the one you were commenting about with an indent. I’d I’ve been away for a while, I like to read all of the posts, so not sure how easy that would be with the latest first.

On #2, 3 hours is about right.

On #3, as long as there are avatars, the bolding doesn’t bother me unless it is being used in the context of a reaming.

Really enjoy having dialogues here. It’s nice to see your (DK) comments occasionally. Gives one the feeling thatyounare paying attention.

Stuart

24. bpn8pitt says:

I think game threads should be released closer to game time, rather than further away. To keep them “on topic” if that makes sense.

I also think that some of the “editorials” that stray from the game should be deleted.

Vanimal.

25. bpn8pitt says:

I also enjoy the moderators comments. If Travis or Rob posted a fact or tidbit now again, that would be interesting as well.

26. cherokee23 says:

27. cherokee23 says:

No to #1. If I came on with 100 comments already, imagine having to read them from bottom to top to maintain the flow of conversation. Other blogs that have recent first, I don’t read comments for that reason

28. hockeymonster says:

Browsing around while drinking my morning joe. Found some good reads on GM fletcher and the wild via PG.

There’s two ways to improve offensively if you’re Fletcher: Getting a scoring forward or an offensive blue-liner. “We’ll look at both,” Fletcher said.

That quote confirms my suspicion that PM and Real Deal would interest them. Especially if they can’t sign Nisky. Send us Brodin, Coyle, Folin and either Oloffson or gustafsson(goalie) and you have a deal.

29. CHH says:

On #1, it wouldn’t be an issue if comments would auto populate without refreshing. To me, it’s annoying to refresh every minute to see new comments, and deters me from commenting much at all.

30. Sarah says:

Order of comments should be optional via a drop-down list selection. JMO….

Morning link 11

32. bpn8pitt says:

It would be nice to see Pedro show emotion.

Either way. Elation or frustration.

33. Mike Shigley says:

Definite NO to #1. I really don’t care about the other two.

JAL’S link #20 is a good read on Holt. Sounds a lot like JHay.

No, I don’t think they were wrong to trade him, and I do think that was still a good trade. ;-)

I agree with Sarah . . .

For me, I like the oldest first, and it’s easy enough to get to the newest by clicking on the leave a reply link, and, at least on iPhone and iPad to go back to the top by touching the top of the screen.

#2 sounds good,

#3 is probably only good if your posts are infrequent. A lot of them and the Bold might get old. Last night worked out fine without the bold. And I agree with whoever said reamings should be in bold . . . They are always fun.

36. Lad 9 says:

I would say no on number 1, for number 2 three hours is perfect, and number 3 is fine either way. I would love to see new comments auto-populate though, rather than have to refresh all the time. Especially since, at least for me, when I refresh, my I-Pad always goes back to where I was the first time I refreshed when I was on that particular thread, not to where I left off. Really annoying.

1. No. I don’t have any problems with how it is now. I’m in favor of any software that keeps the site from crashing, and is relatively inexpensive and light on maintenance in order to allow this great forum to be free.

2. I think football threads should go up a little earlier. Maybe, 4-5 hours because there are fewer of them. The sports that have a lot of games during the season could have 2 hour entry levels.

3. Like bold. Makes it easier to reference your comments. Everyone loves hearing from you on this forum. Maybe, post some of your more witty and insightful tweets here as well, like you have recently been doing.

4. Some other suggestions. I love the free wheeling nature of the threads where people post about all sorts of stuff. Also, like the dedicated threads to a single issue, like Teke, Mr. Noll and the Pens stuff. Just admonish us to keep comments on the topic’s track. We are listening. I would like to see WVU and Penn St football threads. Even if only a few comment, they are worthwhile. Love, love, love the Pitt threads. And, Duquesne BB, if for no other reason than to remind me they have a game.

5. Direct people to get avatars!

6. Less posts from me.

Hardly floodgates.

39. bpn8pitt says:

Yea, I’m still good with it too. And like Harrison he seized opportunity when guys were hurt or ineffective.

I’m sure Sox fans wish Melancon back at times too. Sometimes change of scenery helps.

40. Sarah says:

Also…..given the limits of mobile apps, a button at top and bottom for “go to bottom” and “go to top” would save endless manual scrolling.

Thanks!

41. dennis g says:

What is the point of an avatar? Just because you may find a particular movie star or character or a recording star or athlete or logo or whatever to have special meaning for you does not mean I want to see it. Oh look it’s Brian Bosworth, let’s be sure to read this comment.

42. hockeymonster says:

Sarah, where you been? You interview for HC gig yet? I heard crawford is staying in the Swiss league. So maybe Hynes and JM can be your assistants. :)

I will need you to post a few comments about Wimbledon when it’s going on, Sarah. Good stuff during Roland Garros!

44. Eric Bowser says:

Mercer batting 5th?

Can’t say I ever saw that coming….

45. There”s an 80% chance of rain in Brazil where the US is playing that soccer game tonight vs. Portugal. Hopefully, both the Bucs and the US soccer teams will get their respective games in.

Aesthetically much nicer. Human nature to be attracted to colors, images. I know I tend to skip over the ghost men, thus probably missing a lot.

I support your choice not to have one. But, I’ll probably miss a lot of your points!

Nah, that’s not it. It’s so people can, at a glance, decide if they want to read your comment . . . Or not. And it’s kinda fun. ;-)

48. FlBucco says:

I like all three – but I am fine with things as is too – no strong feeling either way…

I do think three hours for baseball makes sense – or when lineups are posted…

49. Lad 9 says:

Interesting lineup. Mercer in the 5 hole… Let’s go Bucs!

Pirates

5. Luis Valbuena (L) 3B
    6. Nate Schierholtz (L) RF
    7. John Baker (L) C
    8. Darwin Barney (R) 2B
    9. Jason Hammel (R) P

Gametime Forecast: 69°F • Mostly Cloudy • 0% PoP

Do they call soccer games on account of rain. (I honestly have no idea). Or should I call into Madden’s show Monday? ;-)

51. For once, the Pirates bullpen did what it it’s supposed to do last night and pitched 4 and 2/3 scoreless innings against the last place Cubs, and, hopefully, that trend will continue.

I’ve seen EPL games played in rain. Lighting though….

Now that’s a Sunday lineup. Moving Mercer to 5th is a surprise, but the way he’s been showing the power of late makes sense, at least for Sunday.

54. Scott says:

I know everyone wants to see Bucs sign Walker and trade Pedro, BUT can the BUCS really afford a $10m+ 2B? If JayHay is really going to be an everyday player, then he should be at 2B. Takes a LH bat out of the order, but find a LH hitting 3B Pedro replacement (or SS). Bucs need starting pitching and a SS, as Hanson is now projecting to be a 2B. Trade Pedro and Walker to acquire SP and SS. May need to wait for the Hot Stove, not clear yet if they’ll actually challenge for a WC. Putting your eggs in a ONE game playoff may not be the best strategy. 2015-2016 looks to be the window.

They even at least delay football (American) games for lightning (and lighting).

56. And here comes where everyone remembers that Walker was a third baseman once?

57. NOTICE: Going to try these comments newest to oldest today, just to see how it goes, especially as it relates to threaded replies. It’s just for today. By all means, let me know what you think. (As if you wouldn’t.)

58. FlBucco says:

I really think every player has his or her own way of dealing with this – and that fans tend to over think this crap.

These guys are pros – and are paid a lot of money – some are Joey Votto – some are Pedro – you can like one and
    hate the other – that is your choice.

Personally I prefer Pedro’s even keel to Grilli’s historonics – but that is just me – you obviously feel otherwise.

I think if you look at winning team chemistry over the years you will probably see that every good team has a “clown” [looks like Volquez] and a guy who wears his desire to win on his sleeve [Martin? on this team - Don Hoak on the 60s team].

I continue to be amazed with the flak that comes Pedro’s way – the rumbunter post is close to idiotic – and Davis gets a pass – perspective – balance – would be nice. And where is the article by either paper on how Cutch has become a defensive liability in center – 42nd out 44 among ALL NL outfielders with over 300 innings in UZR is pretty bad.

I think baseball game threads should go up when the lineups are released – or 3 hours before game time….whichever is closer to game time.

60. On thing I see already — and this is good — is that a specific reply aimed at an existing comment does, in fact, go and stay under that comment, both here and on mobile. There’s no indentation on mobile, but it’s still in the proper order.

61. War_Horse says:

Pro soccer games are played in all weather except hurricanes, tornados and twisters.

62. War_Horse says:

Jordy Mercer batting against Cole Hammels = .429 .429 .571 in 7 ABs this season

Thanks, kinda what I figured.

64. War_Horse says:

Sorry, I meant Jason Hammel.

65. maz in iowa says:

Mercer did alright batting 2nd last year,but the batting 5th thing took me by surprise just like everyone else

66. bpn8pitt says:

This is where I guess I get confused with baseball and on this blog. Cutch was just named POTW. Has raked in June. Maybe has misplayed a few balls in the OF and has a limited arm, but is far from the defensive liability that Alvarez has become.

Nevermind the fact he’s made Pirate baseball visible again through his MVP caliber season and national commercials.

Flbucco, in the last week, I’ve strongly advocated Pedro going back up in the lineup….But I’ll tell you, if Pedro was making 24.25 instead of 4.25, think you be a little more critical.

TC is right. Idk about Pedro and NY. Not talking to the media, after 0-4, 2 errors. Disappearing for 3 weeks at a time. Good luck with that one.

67. bpn8pitt says:

I’m sure you are aware of not only the Pirates team defense issues, but Hansons as well.

#prospectloveconquersall

68. maz in iowa says:

Anyone else wish that Nitkowski would have stopped talking so much yesterday?It seemed like he was trying to prove he was knowledgeable…..just wish he would just kinda be quiet and not comment on every little thing.JMO

69. bpn8pitt says:

I hear you on the pitching though.

But Vanimal Free Shirt Friday 2015 is possible after two starts. ;)

70. Brandie says:

Was out of town and did not get the news on Revvie until today. A heart that has cared for so many for so long is bound to need a tune up. Good vibes to you Revvie.

Great to see the Buccos won. Go Vance Worley. The streak remains intact. Do the Polanco Polka!!!

No to #1. Number 2…3 hours is perfect. #3…Use bold in special circumstances.

+1 maz

72. maz in iowa says:

Hey Brandie.You good?

“TC is right. Idk about Pedro and NY. Not talking to the media…

This, ladies and gents, is how internet rumors get started. Bravo, TC, bravo.

74. Dadtackular says:

1) yes, easier on mobil platform. 2) 2-3 hours. 3) Yes, bold your comments. Quicker to find.

75. maz in iowa says:

I’d be ok with Walker at 3rd…..Harrison at 2nd next year.Also think Mercer could be alright at SS.Not really sure about Hanson yet.The more I read about him the more I wonder if he might be more of a 2B.Of course I live in Iowa(Idiots Out Wandering Around)

76. bpn8pitt says:

Its quite possible too the Hanson is a defensive liability all together. And if he can’t hit ML pitching?

You can trade prospects.

Gasp.

77. CHH says:

I don’t mind the newest comment on top format, but the response box is still at the bottom of the page, so you still have to scroll through every comment to type a response.

78. bpn8pitt says:

” Pedro works hard.”

Right up there with other rumors like. “ML ready defense”. and ” dripping with power”. or ” Volquez jokes around too much “.

NMR wears his hat over his ears. ;)

79. cmat0829 says:

DK: Thanks for asking for input.

1) I THINK it makes more sense to have the order of posts from oldest to newest…. otherwise replies to previous posts will be read before the post provoking the reply, and I read from top to bottom not bottom to top.

2) I think game posts should hold and not go up until 1 hour before game time.
    3) Bolding your inputs is fine, I think I remember it being that way before.

80. maz in iowa says:

So newest comments on top and comment box on top also??I like!!!

81. DJ says:

Yes. According to him, no mid-relief guys should make All Star team . . . ever.

Silly.

82. FlBucco says:

Why post such unwarranted speculation – respect the man’s privacy please.

83. cmat0829 says:

As to today’s “Sunday” lineup… not sure why it is labeled that as the only “Sunday” part of this lineup is Stewart catching. As to Mercer batting 5th, it is both a nod to how hot he has been as well as trying to break up a wall of lefties for later in the game (Cubs have 2 lefty specialists). Hammel is tougher on righties, so hence the move to get all of our lefties in.

As to planning for 2015 I think we may be guilty of being way too liberal with judging 45 days of JayHey and Pedro and closing the book on further analysis… if as some believe we are ready to move Walker to 3rd and play JayHey everday at 2b in 2015. Is there NO room at all for Pedro to get back to his occasional ‘carry the team’ hot streak and Jayhey to return at least from outer space to somewhere within the planet?

Now I have no issue with the team taking a long hard look at Pedro, project the next couple of years, take the temperature of the market in the AL, be opportunistic. But if we just dump Pedro to ‘make room’ for JayHey and JayHey suddenly reverts to being a decent utility guy at best, where does that leave us?

I do understand that on this blog we have much more experience using somewhat smaller sample sizes to form a NEGATIVE opinion of a player… JayHey has been refreshing for many reasons, including giving us a chance to flex our muscles in the opposite scenario. But patience is a virtue in baseball.

84. Andrew says:

UZR is 300 innings has huge error bars.

85. Matt hoffman says:

+++++

86. bpn8pitt says:

I think they should leave Harrison in the 10th man role.

Hope they get creative with whatever they do, with an emphasis on defense and OBP, as far as the infield goes.

87. No, you don’t. Click the ‘LEAVE A REPLY’ link right under the main post. It takes you straight there at the speed of Dri Archer.

88. maz in iowa says:

Besides Pedro launching scuds into the 3rd row of the stands….my next thing is where do you hit him?He’s batting .208 w/risp.The guys who keep insisting he needs to bat clean up must be forgetting how much he struggled at 4th last year and earlier this year.With 2 strikes he’s a .091 hitter.Good pitchers just elevate pitches and he simply cannoy catch up.Maybe the answer is put him at 1st base and leave him hitting 6th. smh

89. maz in iowa says:

Any chance we could edit our replies/ comments?(I have a few doozies I wish I could repair(thank God for spell check)

90. Brandie says:

I went to a music festival to join some hippies! I am feelin’ groovy MAZ!!! How about you? :)

91. Baywatch says:

I’m feelin’ a nice start for Cump!

• Welcome, Lunatics! If you don’t see your current location below, please add a reply to this post:
    • Dejan’s Lunatic Nation – Sharing and celebrating our community.
    • Pittsburgh – Sochi – Moscow – New York – Fort Myers – Port Charlotte – Bradenton – Sarasota – Clearwater – Tampa – Orlando – Charlotte – Pittsburgh
    • Afghanistan – skeetermc*
    Arizona – Tucson, Chandler, Phoenix, Sunnyslope, Davis-Monthan AFB*, Lake Havasu City
    Argentina — Buenos Aires
    Arkansas – Rogers
    Alaska – Anchorage
    Australia – Mackay, Gold Coast, Geelong, Sydney, Balmoral (Queensland)
    Brazil – Vitoria, São Paulo
    California – Bakersfield, San Francisco, UNION CITY, Los Angeles, Newport Beach, Hollywood, Huntington Beach, Yuba City, Solana Beach, Yorba Linda, Yuba City*, Edwards*, Long Beach, Modesto, Davis, Santa Monica, Solana Beach, Canyon Country, Burbank, West Hills, Encino, Clovis
    Canada – Toronto, Winnipeg, Moncton – New Brunswick, Ontario – Muskoka, Perth – home of the Ottowa RedBlacks, Perth – Ontario
    China – Beijing
    Crete – Vlites
    Colorado – Ft Collins, Estes Park*, Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs
    Connecticut – Cos Cob, Bridgeport, Wallingford, Norwalk, NEWTOWN
    Costa Rica
    Czech Republic
    Delaware – Newark
    Denmark – Greenland – Thule*
    District of Columbia
    England – London
    Florida – Palm Harbor, Orlando, Valrico, Gainesville, Daytona Beach, Oviedo, Tampa, Jacksonville, Sarasota, Palm Beach Gardens, Cape Coral, Coco Beach (Major Nelson and Mary Ann), Niceville (Red Neck Rivera) and a*, St Petersburg, Pembroke Pines, Ft Lauderdale, Hallandale Beach, W Melbourne, Melbourne, St Johns, Wesley Chapel, Fort Pierce, Lakeland, Neptune Beach
    France – Strasbourg,
    Georgia – Marietta, Atlanta, Sandy Springs, Acworth, Savanna, Hoschton, Grayson, Newnan, Macon
    Germany – Leverkusen/Cologne, Ramstein*
    Hawaii – Honolulu
    Idaho – Mountain Home, Coer d’Aline, Mountain Home AFB*
    Illinois – La Salle, Peru, Payson, Chicago, Palatine (3 inmates there), Lincoln Park, Grayslake, Algonquin, Chicago, Naperville
    Indiana – Indianapolis, Burns Harbor, South Bend, Bicknell, Ft Wayne, Westfield, Munster, Jasper
    Iowa – Bettendorf, Humboldt, Maquoketa, Urbandale, Muscatine
    Ireland – Dublin
    • Israel – Ginot Shomron
    Japan – Tokyo
    Kentucky – Louisville, Bowling Green, Lexington, Georgetown, Russellville
    Kuwait – Relyks76*
    Louisiana – Slidell, Shreveport*
    Maine – Bangor
    Maryland – Arnold, Odenton, Severn, Baltimore, Waldorf, Hagerstown, Chevy Chase, Hampstead, Elkridge, Frederick, Bowie, Sykesville, Columbia, Towson
    Massachusetts – Boston, Tyngsboro, East Gloucester*, 617 Strong*, Medford, Hamilton
    Mecca – Slienmann*
    Michigan – Kalamazoo, Eaton Rapids, Lansing, Ann Arbor, Mason, Battle Creek
    Minnesota – Yinzer, St Paul
    Mississippi – Biloxi, Ocean Springs
    Missouri – St Peters***
    Montana
    Nebraska – Omaha, Lincoln
    New Hampshire – Barrington
    New Jersey – Chesterfield, Princeton, Roxbury, Lebanon, Lincoln Park, Berkeley Heights, Somerville, Hammock, Barrington, Delran, Pennsville, Hammonton, Mullica Hills, JERSEY SHORE, Montclair, Monmouth Beach, Flemington, Oceanville, Mays Landing, Collingswood
    New Mexico – Mike, Albequeque, Blazer, Berkeley Heights
    New York – New York, Smithtown, Manhattan, Long Island, Nyack, Brooklyn, Buffalo, Rochester, Albany, Lewistown, Stony Point
    Nevada, Las Vegas, Henderson, Reno
    North Carolina – Asheville, Hickory, Charlotte, Raleigh, Wilmington, Chapel Hill, High Point, Winston Salem, Fayetteville
    Ohio – Cincinnati, Columbiana, Westerville, Green, Hilliard, Toledo, Louisville, Columbus, Perrysburg, Pickerington, Youngstown, Cleveland, Olmsted Township, Liberty Township, Warren, Oregon, Wintersville, Austintown, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base*, New Philadelphia, Powell, Canton, Salem, New Albany, Bloomingdale, Powell, Howland, Grafton, Northwood, Middletown, Dayton, Cambridge, Martins Ferry, Akron
    Oklahoma – Tulsa – OKLAHOMA CITY/MOORE ,,
    Oregon – Roseburg, Eugene
    Pennsylvania – Downtown, Hopewell, Indiana, North Wales, Franklin Park, Forest Hills, Lansdale, Philadelphia, Du Bois, Reading, Crafton, Arnold, Wexford, Mt Lebanon, Canonsburg, Lancaster, Huntington, York, Boiling Springs, Philly suburbs, Morningside, Harrisburg, Lawrenceville, Bradford Woods, Norristown, Hanover, Clearfield, Sewickley, Plum Boro, Slippery Rock, Wilkes-Barre, Sharpsville, Bessemer, Greensburg, Washington, Imperial, South Side, Duncansville, Newville, Sheppton, Grove City, Butler, Allentown, Ross Township, Blairsville, Flood City (Johnstown), Overbrook, Danny’s Hoagies, Baldwin, Economy, Sharpsville, North Huntington, Bellfonte, West Mifflin, Kennywood, Pleasant Hills, Beechview (Mad Turk, No 200), Macgunie, Mechanicsburg, Uptown, Cambria County, Mon Valley, Salisbury, Coraopolis, Emsworth, Cranberry Twp, Garrett, O’Hara Township, McCandless Township, 115 Federal Street, Bethel Park, Harrison City, Penn Hills, Kittanning, Dover, Upper St Clair, Rennerdale, Oakland, Scranton, Moon (RMU), State College, Erie, Penn Twp, Stowe, Elizabeth, Hermitage, Easton, Carlisle, Finleyville, Belle Vernon, Madison, Sellersville, Waynesburg, Warren, Beaver Falls, Chambersburg, Greencastle, East Freedom, Leechburg, Banksville City, Ellwood City, Hollidaysburg, Bethlehem, Mars, Verona, Philipsburg, Phoenixville, Hippos Pond, Oil City, Verona, Hookstown, Squirrel Hill, Natrona, Charleroi, FREEDOM, Denver, Midland (the home of good food and many bars), Selinsgrove, Dormont, Scott Township, Blawnox, Arnold, Ligonier, Wells Tannery, Swoyersville, St Mary’s, Titusville, Shippingsburg, Sharpsville, Brookville, Mountain Top, Mt Joy, Bloomsburg, Portage, Carnegie, Homer City, Allepo Township, Irwin, Claridge, Downington, Cheswick, Antis Township, Union City, Export, Rector, Altoona, Blair County/PNG Ballpark
    The Philippines
    Rhode Island
    Russia
    Serbia – Subotica
    Singapore
    South Carolina – Duncan, Longs, Columbia, Bluffton, Greensville, Charleston, North Charleston, Sumter*
    South Korea – Seoul, Mike
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Tennessee – Smithville, Nashville
    Texas – Tyler, San Antonio, Belton, Houston, Katy, Plano, El Paso, Cedar Park, Pleasanton
    United Kingdom – Haslemere
    Utah – Salt Lake City, Provo
    Uzbekistan
    Vermont – North Bennington
    Virginia – JAL, Hampton, Rescue, Richmond, Front Royal, Woodbridge, Suffolk, Warrenton, Springfield*, Virginia Beach, Fairfax, Arlington, Yorktown, Henrico, Aldie, Manassas, Newport News, Clifton, Glen Allen, Roanoke, Vienna, Alexandria, Lynchburg
    Washington – Seattle, Nine Mile Falls, Spokane, Sammamish
    West Virginia – Martinsburg, Morgantown, Wheeling, Mt Olivet, Huntington, Parkersburg, Clarksburg*, Grafton
    Wisconsin – Madison, Oshkosh, Hortonville
    Wyoming – Caspar, Lander
    Unknown – killa_cam7*
    476 confirmed locations represented in the blog, and a couple of strange places
    Lunatic Nation Hall of Fame, people that have, in our opinion, made a difference, either thru talent or character or deeds.
    Nominations are always welcome
    Any Allegheny, Pirate, Crawford, Gray, Steeler or Penguin player in the League’s Hall of Fame
    Stan “The Man”, from Donora
    Fred Rogers
    Mario Lemieux, ditto to the Great One, he stays as an owner
    Chuck Noll
    Eddie Johnston, aka EJ
    Badger Bob
    Chuck Tanner
    Dick Groat, the best darn multi-athelete and announcer from Wilkinsburg/Swissvale
    Steve Blass
    Danny Murtaugh*
    Rocky Bleier*
    John Challis – Courage + Belief = Life
    All Servicemen and women that have been in battle, ever
    Sgt Doug Vitale
    Steve ‘Dirt’ DiNardo*
    K9***, Rocco
    Rick Sebak
    First Responders***
    • Those ordinary/exceptional hero’s that we remember on Memorial Day*
    28 countries
    46 states, plus the District of Columbia, missing 4 states, North Dakota, South Dakota, Alabama, and Kansas
    Three planets, at least confirmed, and the Space Station
    Then there was that Cold day in Hell place
    Honorable mention, England – London – Lisa
    “Terrorists will always lose in America, the sooner they figure that out, the better”- truer words have never been spoken
    Asterisks denote confirmed hero’s of any species, military, police officers or firemen/ladies
    • 6/22/2014 1:51 PM

93. Baywatch says:

I ’bout deleted that before I realized DK was talking ’bout turning things around!

94. Brandie says:

Good day Bay. Hope the pitching is solid today.

95. KING says:

Pedro seems to be the one without a chair when the music stop. It’s a shame because the guy has so much power & potential.

I thought Grilli should have been DFA but he did well in his new assignment. Pirates have so much young talent. Hope they can make a run. 2015 & 2016 look like years Pirates can play for a championship. A trade for a frontline starter & 1 more power bat & this team will be tough to tangle with game in game out. KING

96. Cmat0829 says:

Can anyone just anyone post articles these days ? The rumbunter site is particularly amateurish. Baseball is a long season and someone is going to gripe about Cutch or other players in the dugout talking and smiling during a game?? The first time anyone shows me that pouting and glaring at the opposing team drives actual on the field performance I will reconsider. Until then articles like this are just ridiculous. Yes, ok, the Pirates are under .500 and the reasons are plenty…but lack of desire,mock of urgency, lack of emotion? PLEASE. Grilli is emotional and Melancon and Watson are not. Who is pitching better?

And Joey Votto, who the “expert” on rumbunter cites, was chided by Reds fans the past few years for NOT showing emotion. Now he throws one tantrum and is a poster child for showing emotion?

I know we have to link to stuff but I only read rumbunter when I want a good laugh. The same way I attend school plays and not compare to broadway.

Some seem to be really quick to ‘DFA’ a player. Especially without a capable replacement….or understanding of the term.

98. Baywatch says:

How cump? :-)

99. Lad 9 says:

Thanks Biz. Love this every time!

100. The Gunner says:

I know I have been guilty of criticizing Pedro as of late, but he loves day games – today will be his day to go deep and have a good day in the field.

No dirt areas on their fields.

102. DJ says:

Don’t like the idea of a delete or edit button. Forces you think before you type. Also, if others comment, and a comment is deleted or edited, the balance of the thread is apt to be confusing or meaningless.

103. radio wave says:

I understand Walker is playing today at Bradenton.

I’m spoiled. I don’t like the uniforms without names on the back

+++

106. KING says:

The Pirates don’t face many lefties…I don’t know if that’s good or bad. Some of our best hitters righties Cutch,Martin,Walker (right side) etc. I guess it evens out.

Cubs might be 31-41 but they have some guys who can hurt you. Most notably Rizzo & Castro.

They mentioned on The Fan radio broadcast that Pirates were 8-4 vs. Cubs this year. Impressed by that. Cubs & Pirates have played some tough games this year.

Ike on base with a single. Liked the Davis trade. What do you think about Ike Davis? KING

107. pattonbb says:

Was that a slide or a trip and fall?

108. Brandie says:

:) Solid starts spell the bullpen.

109. Reading says:

Quality inning there. Pedro K. Davis and Mercer “running” with lead shoes.

110. DJ says:

Hit and run missed by Pedro?

111. radio wave says:

Dk: hate the new format. You ask for feedback, but changes are already made. I know I’m a minority of 1, but terrible for my situation.

The frustrating base running continues today. Ike leads off the 2nd with a hit, then seems to pull up in his slide on Mercer’s bobbled grounder and is erased at 2nd. Then, Jordy is out on a bizarre delayed steal or something. Suddenly, it’s 2 out and none on rather than possibly 2 on and none out.

They do this stuff literally almost every game.

Worst base running team in MLB this year as far as fundamentals go IMO. The speed of the OF allows those guys to take extra bases, but the bone headed plays just keep piling up.

113. Reading says:

J Hay has no arm.

114. Patrick(ri) says:

Hope the doubters are listening to JW’s description of Harrison’s play at second.

115. bpn8pitt says:

Thought we would see more power out of Ike, king.

I don’t think 1b overall has been bad. But somehow it always leaves me wanting a little more out of it.

116. godkram says:

go Lunchbox!!!!

117. pattonbb says:

Dripping….

Dripping!

King:

The Cubs have just those 2 guys who can hurt us consistently, and even though we’ve won 8 of 12 vs the Cubs, I think it could have been 9 or 10 wins if we had made more of a conscious a effort to not give Rizzo & Castro chances to beat us.

I still don’t know what to think of Ike. He still takes his walks, but has cut down a ton on his swing and rarely drives the ball this year.

120. godkram says:

34 outs on base, tied for most in MLB

121. Brandie says:

Home runs take care of that. Way to go Travis!! Dripping with hair gel.

Jim
    That may have been a botched hit & run with Jordy and Pedro

123. Baywatch says:

Cue Foreigner’s “Lunch Box Hero” here! Oh, that was JUKE Box Hero!

124. DJ says:

Radio: DK says below he’s testing it out today.

Obviously you did not see that statement because of the format.

125. Brandie says:

My husband had a “Welcome Back Kotter” lunchbox.

126. KING says:

Snider hits a HR for Pirates. 4th on year. Smart decision to keep Snider. He provides good OF depth & excellent bench guy coming off the bench hitting.

Snider reminds me of Jose Silva. A talented guy who was sidetracked by freak injuries with the Pirates. Never reached full potential. Snider only 26 & Tabata 25. I can’t think of many teams who have players like Snider & Tabata in reserve.

J-Hay RBI wicked Single off the pitcher. It appears that J-Hay was underrated just like Walker a half decade before. KING

127. Patrick(ri) says:

I had forgotten about Silva. A really sad story.

128. bpn8pitt says:

The Pirates seem to have a number of players on their roster like that, King. In the right situation, role, spot start etc…the guy does okay.

But once Sept rolls around there are a number of guys we are gonna look at, and wish we got more out of them.

I doubt Snider sees July once guys get healthy but I could be wrong.

But, Walker coming back will necessitate another roster move. They haven’t kept Snider yet.

Who will they drop?

Barmes? I don’t think so. They like his glove at SS, 2b or 3b.

JHay? Not a chance. He’s proven himself.

Tabata or Snider? I still think Snider gets the boot.

130. radio wave says:

Thank you. Yes I missed that. If new format stays, I wish it would auto append like twitter.

I think you may be right, TC. Good catch.

132. Scott says:

Snider is an effective PH though… going to be interesting since Tabata has the bigger contract.

+++. Sounds good to me, Gunner. I think a Pedro HR binge is coming.

134. DJ says:

Like the old as well but understand motivations for mobile viewing.

135. Patrick(ri) says:

Starting to think Pedro should just take every high pitch. Today’s umpiring talent wii blow at least half the calls – a better result for Pedro.

136. DJ says:

Would they not try to trade one, Jim?

If so, what would they likely net for either?

137. DJ says:

Mentioned that below.

138. DJ says:

I’d just like to see two hits in a game again. And not singles.

139. twentytwo22 says:

We finally have a good bench and I would hate to give up any of our 3 good PH.

Gaby 9-26
    Tabata 8-28
    Snider 9-32

Mercer is 2-5. Tony Sanchez is 1-1. Cole is 1-1.

The rest of the team is 2-40. Harrison has 2 hits and a HR.

Not an easy decision.

140. bpn8pitt says:

I heard one reason our bench has been strong hitting is because they see more ABs because our starter gets pulled early. Or Clint has played a matchup with 1b or Pedro…just a thought.

141. KING says:

Good analysis 8 Pitt. Snider might be the odd man out. Pedro is lucky there will be games with the slumping Rays. He can DH & might get his bat going.

I was searching to see if Pedro has any options left 4 AAA. It seems Pedro Ciriaco & Cumpton had about 20 over the years. Don’t know how that works.

Strong work by Cumpton. Only 1 hit allowed. Hate to be Neal H trying to make the right decision. KING

142. The Gunner says:

The law of averages points that way, Jim. Let’s hope his next at bats are better than the first two. On another matter, Cumpton is looking sharp today – maybe he’ll be able to go 7 or 8.

DJ:

I assume they would attempt a trade. Some here may not agree, but I think Tabata has more roster value and trade value than Snider. He has done a better job of hitting same side pitchers than Snider in his career, which makes him more flexible as a fill-in OF and as a guy who can PH vs RHP or LHP. You don’t want to send Snider up to PH, only to have the other team counter with a LHP.

It’s just my guess, but I think Tabata is the guy who stays. But, we’ll see. If they would rather keep Snider, I definitely think they’ll trade Tabby.

144. The Gunner says:

KING

Pedro does have an option left but, it is doubtful he will be sent down. I think Snider has a good chance to stick and Tabby becomes the odd man out. They won’t get much for either of these guys.

145. bpn8pitt says:

DJ if they got more than a PTBN for either I’d be surprised.

One scenario I was thinking is that Jeanmar gets DFA and creates a spot.

Who would you take off the roster to make room for Walker, 22? Someone has to go.

But, our bullpen is already not as deep as last year with Grilli and Wilson not pitching as well, bpn. And, our starting pitching has been up and down. How could we get by with one less pitcher?

148. The Gunner says:

Good points (and I agree), Jim. But, remember, Tabby has a higher salary than Snider and that could impact who goes and who stays.

Cumpton has looked really good. I’ll take 7, gladly.

150. bpn8pitt says:

Not long term Jim. Was thinking Cumpton, Locke or Worley could slide into pen until the break. Then they could reset, buy more time for a trade maybe.

Prob not. Likely Locke or Cumpton goes down. And Snider DFA or trade like you eluded.

151. twentytwo22 says:

A Pirate starter gets into trouble in the 6th and gets out of it unscathed.

152. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Agree with you on all sides of this post Jimbo.

The trade value will be really weak. Other GMs know that if they’re not traded, they’ll be DFA’d when they can get them for nothing.

I don’t see any way that they keep Snider over Tabata.

TS is a weaker Pedro.

153. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

A-Team here

154. bpn8pitt says:

I’m looking at it with Cole and Liriano coming back too, so with Walker that’s 3 spots they have to make soon.

155. radio wave says:

Compton has been great. Can the pen do the job today?

156. KING says:

Thanks Gunner. I didn’t know Pedro had option left. Just scanning over Pirates schedule June-July. at Rays,Mets,D’Backs & Phillies at home. Have to go 9-4 maybe 10-3 against these struggling teams.
    Should be interesting if AJ pitching against Pirates that series. 4th of July would be appropriate with the fireworks & AJ’s fiery demeanor.

Good! Cumpton snuck out of the jam. Snider on base again. Hitting strong today. KING

157. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

#newplatformconfusedme
    #easytodo
    #kindascared

158. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

#imaylikethisbetter

159. Baywatch says:

That Eric Hinske has gotten GiGANTIC!!

160. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Im very impressed with the movement he has on his fastball.

Pitch count low, let’s see how far he can go

That’s another point that figures in the decision, Gunner. Tabby is signed for a few more years, and Snider is year to year.

So, I think that is why it is doubtful Tabby gets dropped. He could be traded, though, if they decide they like Snider better. Who knows what they’ll do. We’ll see shortly.

162. bpn8pitt says:

Ha. Yea, man. Looks like he’s pitching more than 7 innings too.
    If that’s happened more than a half a dozen times in surprised.

What if Pedro doesn’t heat up. How much longer will we have to hear Wehner say that he can’t wait for Pedro to heat up?

164. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

We don’t have a choice really, to include JayHay’s play.

The upside of Pedro is so ridiculous, it’s worth the wait.

165. bpn8pitt says:

Agreed.

Yeah, 78 thru 6, NorCal. He could go a couple more, possibly.

167. bpn8pitt says:

Really, Ryan?

I think Pedros defense has really hurt his value. Tradewise and just his future as a player.

Do guys get better at defense closer to 30? I’d say its the opposite…And this whole put him 1b? Learning a new position isn’t easy. This isn’t Mens softball, hiding your defensive liabilty.

True, bpn. Could our starting pitching be getting deep again?

If we can somehow get more consistent play, stack wins, and make a Wild Card run, Liriano and Cole (assuming they come back completely healthy) could actually benefit from missing some starts.

169. Brandie says:

Like watching Cump Thump the Cub Chumps!

170. Matt hoffman says:

Keep going with Cumpton. It would be silly to not send him out in the 8th!

171. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Not quite sure I said anything about moving him to 1st.

His defense has struggled, sure, but what he can do is far more than what most can.

He’ll heat up, not sure when though.

I missed that at first. Good call, DJ.

173. bpn8pitt says:

Jim, I got my doubts about a rotation featuring Liriano, Volquez, Cumpton/Worley, Locke after Gerrit Cole.

I hear what guys say about needing the spot start and the depth…but the Pirates don’t have that Ace. Wainwright, Kershaw, Cueto…To me if they want Oct hardware you need that guy.

We LL see.

174. aglebagel says:

Can we seriously stop sliding headfirst?

175. Lad 9 says:

BRANDIEEEEEEE. The boss turned blog life upside down today. Still trying to get oriented….

176. Is there anyone, anyone at all, in the Pirates’ system who doesn’t break for third on a ground ball in front of them?

Do they teach that base running blunder at Indy?

178. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

There’s some poor base running.

179. radio wave says:

They must, they all do it!

180. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Rock is blowing them up for it right now after Timmy said “that will happen from time to time.”

181. Florida Steeler says:

Do they teach it at spring training?? But, we have had two successful bunts last night and today!!!!

182. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Silly

183. radio wave says:

Serious question: Who is the base runnimg coach?

184. At the Hounds game. Anyone care to keep me updated on how the Chicago eighth inning turns out?

185. bpn8pitt says:

No you didn’t. Sorry.

I think the Pirates could get away with a Steve Buechele type at 3b…Field the position, give just enough offense not to be a liability.

Having Pedro go 3 weeks without a dinger, two weeks without a RBI and 5 errors a month, just isn’t gonna work. I hope he gets it going, but life without him is not as bad as we think it is.

Looks like Polanco learned the Pirates Way regarding base running well in the minors.

Another promising inning crumbles. I know JHay was trying to hit the ball to the right side there, and I love that he wants to give himself up to move the runner, but they were pitching him inside to avoid that. Just hit it where it’s pitched there. That was a wasted at bat by a guy who’s crushing the ball just because the book says hit it the other way. Sometimes you have to take what they give you.

187. What is auto-append?

188. twentytwo22 says:

7 shutout innings by the starter, 2-0 lead in the bottom of the 8th, Tony Watson pitching. Just like last Sunday.

189. Patrick(ri) says:

Not saying this is a good/bad move, to pull Cumpton, but I would think CH might be looking for ways to save Watson?

190. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Watson in relief of Cumpton on the 8th with a relatively low pitch count.

I would’ve liked to have seen #58 in the 8th to see how it works.

And now first 2 guys get on against Watson.

191. Matt hoffman says:

Clint will never learn!!!

Identical to last Sunday’s 8th inning to this point.

No earthly reason to take Cumpton out.

193. aglebagel says:

Not going well so far.

194. Patrick(ri) says:

Doggin it with the Hounds, eh?

195. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Do we actually know what life without him is?

IF, big if, JayHay stays the type of player he’s been over the last month, then I can see the switch. If he’s actually a .300 hitter with a decent glove, then fine, but I still haven’t bought into it.

196. Patrick(ri) says:

Pretty speedy guys, at that.

197. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Huge strikeout there…great pitch

198. There are truly terrible punishments to be meted out for all those who dare doubt that Tony Watson will take the ball and do his job.

199. Matt hoffman says:

+++++
    Still wish Cumpton had a chance for shutout though!

200. twentytwo22 says:

There’s only one Casey McGehee.

201. pattonbb says:

Tony Watson is my hero.

202. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, and I know some of you will, but Tony Watson should absolutely kill righties as much as lefties.

His velocity X arm angle will just break bats.

He needs to work on control a little bit, can’t leave balls out over the plate.

I’ll give the bunt hit to Lake, great play by him.

203. Brandie says:

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDD NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Like that Tony the Tiger!!

204. Patrick(ri) says:

No doubts about his skill. Just wonder if appearing 2 out of every day is sound practice, or somehow a requirement?

205. aglebagel says:

It’s going decidedly better now.

206. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Of course.

207. Zach Lamarre says:

Watson might deserve to be an all star, but I have a feeling he will be a big time snub just cause of position and not being closer

208. Matt hoffman says:

I suppose you are going to convince us there was never any doubt DK? ;) He did a good job of battling through that inning.
    I do believe if you have a pitcher throwing a shutout, start the inning with the guy that you know is having a good day. Even the best have bad days. Just my opinion.

209. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Who names their kid Wellington?

Watson is seriously good. Nothing to not like about the guy. He wiped the last 2 guys out.

But, I still don’t get the move. Cumpton was dominant. Very few good swings or hard hit balls. Low pitch count. Did Clint think he was going to look at the scoreboard, realize it was the 8th inning, and suddenly panic?

I would be looking for spots to rest Watson.

211. Patrick(ri) says:

Out of every 3 days . . . Incomplete sentences are hard to blame in the ipad.

Could not agree more, Patrick.

213. bpn8pitt says:

I’m not saying its Harrison that would go to third.

I just don’t think Pedro is as integral to this teams success as originally thought.

0-4

214. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Managers pick the pitchers and his manager is on the coaching staff.

And, it’s a mistake that is fairly easy to learn from and avoid in the future. I’m coaching some 12 year olds who have figured it out as their season has gone on.

I gotta say, I like this new format very much

217. Matt hoffman says:

I am not so sure that you don’t stick with Cumpton in the rotation when Cole and Liraiano are back.

He has this year, NorCal. His batting avg against is well below .200, and that includes mostly righties. But, he faces everyone.

219. Matt hoffman says:

++++

220. bpn8pitt says:

Agreed.

I don’t think they need an All Star game anymore, to be honest.

They should add days off to the schedule and put WS in a warm city like the Super Bowl. IMO, anyway.

221. Lad 9 says:

Rick Sofield is the base running coach at the major league level. On the surface, it looks like he is doing a horrible job. And he might be – but he strikes me as a pretty competent guy. Think about it – does anyone really believe that he hasn’t told these guys time and time again that you don’t break for third when there is a ground ball in front of you with less than 2 outs? And that coaches from little league on up haven’t done the same thing? Makes you wonder what the heck is going on though..

222. Brandie says:

Sounds like Paddington Bear’s best friend.

223. Patrick(ri) says:

Yeah. I bet the kid had to duke it out alot.

224. CHH says:

So who do you suggest goes instead of Cumpton? Worley would need to go through waivers and most likely would be snatched up by another team

225. bpn8pitt says:

For the Padres sake, I hope Omar Minaya is just interim.

226. bpn8pitt says:

Locke goes down.

227. Patrick(ri) says:

++++ Ha, Brandie. We were lying in wait for that one.

228. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Has Wehner disagreed with everything Neverett says?

I like it. Rock is right most of the time.

Polanco tried to throw that ball to third —- the wrong base!

230. bpn8pitt says:

Smh.

Every. Time. We get a good start, the 9th is an adventure.

231. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

He hit the cut off, right spot.

The old doubles defense rears it’s ahead. That was a fly out to RF with normal defense.

233. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Big K.

Get the groundball DP

Exactly. Text book throw.

235. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

This might not go well for the good guys.

236. Brandie says:

Rock played. That translates quite well.

Isn’t Harrison the cutoff man?

238. Patrick(ri) says:

Advantage of a tall ss!

239. Casper in a-town says:

I think this is going to be (has been) the norm. Funny the difference one year makes. Last year it was lights out. This year? Not so much.

240. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Never mind.

241. radio wave says:

This is a critical inning. Eleven games agaist weak teams. Got to get over .500.

242. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

For lack of defense at 2nd.

243. Brandie says:

RAISE THE JOLLY ROGER’!!

244. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

12 pitches yesterday, 13 pitches today.

That’s what a good cut fastball does. Keeps his pitch count down.

245. godkram says:

RAISE IT!!! GO BUCS!!!

246. Matt hoffman says:

I would try to trade Lirano, Morton or Volquez (2 of the 3 and keep Worley in the rotation with Cumpton). That may stir the pot, but that would be my personal preference.

This will get me attacked, but what the heck. Maybe we are seeing a bit of why Pirates internal scouting has always concluded JHay doesn’t have starter ability, defensively.

And, I love everything else about the guy now.

Wehner sounds & acts different when he is with Nevrett than when he is with Greg B

I’m not sure he likes being with Nevrett that much

249. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

No…not to 3rd on a semi shallow hit.

SS is

250. Lad 9 says:

Raise it! Will always take 2out of 3 on the road. Great performance by young Mr. Cumpton. Now, let’s spear the Rays!

251. bpn8pitt says:

Yea they won…but this isn’t 2013 where they are playing 6-7 inning games anymore.

252. Lad 9 says:

Absolutely.

253. aglebagel says:

In fairness, the 8th was a bit of an adventure as well. Unless you’re DK.

SS should be there, I think, TC. Harrison has to head out toward the ball. I actually thought it was handled properly.

255. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Totally agree Jim.

This is why Barmes is on the bench. Love the late game defensive substation.

He should be put in like a closer.

256. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Pretty sure that’s what we just saw tonight.

Exactly what they want and what we’ve been screaming for on here.

Everyone did their job.

257. CHH says:

Nice to get the win, but I don’t agree with Clint’s pitching strategy. Cumpton was at 87 pitches through 7, why not let him pitch the 8th, then Mark in the 9th? Instead he used Watson for the 8th, so now both he and Mark have pitched in back-to-back days. Now who closes if the situation arises tomorrow night?

We play again tomorrow, and we already know Watson can’t pitch. Hope we don’t regret that.

Snider, I suppose.

260. hockeymonster says:

Looked like he got hit hard and lost a bit of control towards the end.

261. Scott says:

Yep, they’re beating a crappy team. Good teams make them pay in one of those jams… Run like they stole it to Tampa. Rinse, repeat.

Agreed. And I think Harrison is a key cog for years ahead. But, he botched the bunt in the 8th and nearly cost us the game in the 9th.

As usual, though, he got a huge hit. The kid can flat out hit.

263. bpn8pitt says:

I feel that way about the whole team, Jim.

In small doses, in certain spots they look okay.

Big picture, a very average, very ordinary, flawed team.

264. And so, the Pirates take another series from the last place Cubs on a foggy Sunday in Chicago land. And now, we’all see how well they do vs.another bad team in Tampa,, Florida: the Rays.

265. bpn8pitt says:

No. Those relievers missed a lot more bats last year.

That’s what they’ve been, bpn. Just average.

267. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Whoa whoa whoa HM, let’s not reality destroy the hopes and dreams of others!! Lol

Seriously though, you’re right and that’s why they made the switch.

I don’t think Clint – or the relievers – like to put a reliever in the middle of an inning.

He might have thought that Cumpton wouldn’t/couldn’t make it through the 8th.

Cumpton has the reputation of not being able to go through the lineup 3 times…at the major league level

Am I the only one who hates the “no doubles defense?” Castro’s hit was a normal flyball to RF under ordinary defense.

I know the guys devising this stuff have the data to back them up, but I don’t like it. Always makes me smh.

270. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Which is why their record is where it’s at.

They have the potential to be better than the other guys.

When Paul Alexander introduced Macha at the beginning of the post-game show he said he was a former Pirate player and manager of the Oakland A’s.

Doesn’t Macha want to remind anyone that he was the manager of the Brewers? Maybe he wants to forget it.

OK. I trust you guys no better.

I just figured that you don’t want to runner (the hitter) on first to advance to second. He’s the tying run. Rizzo at third isn’t as important.

273. KING says:

Raise The Jolly Roger!!! Pirates sneak out a 2-1 win in Chicago. Cumpton gets a deserved win & Melancon was shaky but got the save.

I don’t understand why the last 3 outs are so hard to get but it sure seems that way. You see during the year 9th inning comeback around the MLB.

Schedule makers did Pirates no favor in late Sept. 7 straight road games vs. possible wild card teams Braves & Reds. Bucs took care of Reds last year late but these could be epic games.

Congrats to the loyal Bucs fans who continue to Raise It! The Pirates have been left for dead 4 or 5 different times by people.

Pirates have a young talented team with pitching depth & OF depth. I don’t see them wilting like 2011 & 2012. KING

274. FlBucco says:

Pedro’s throws get a lot of visibility – and attention but…

Nobody in the NL makes more plays at third than he does…
    His RZR is second only to Arreando – RZR measures outs that “should have been made”
    And he makes more plays out of Zone – OOZ – than any other NL third baseman

He is not Brooks Robinson – but he is not as awful as some seem to think…

And almost any GM would love to add 30 HR potential to his roster – trading him will be easy…

Replacing his power potential will not be….

I must have missed all the hard hits. I thought he cruised thru the 7th 1-2-3 on single digit pitches, monster. I guess I could be misremembering.

Yeah, I definitely feel they should be an 85-87 team win – and they could still get there. But, they’ve earned this record IMO.

I detest it. Seems like a ball is more likely to be hit in front of you rather than over your head.

278. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

Typically late in the game the RP is facing the better part of teams lineups or their better pinch hitters.

Baseball isn’t easy…..

I’m sure the thinking is it means more singles allowed, but you need two to equal a double. But, once you already have a guy on with nobody out, I don’t like increasing the odds of a single. That’s exactly what happened on Castro’s bloop single to medium RF.

280. hockeymonster says:

Maybe it was the 6th i was thinking about. But IMO 7 scoreless innings is good for him in a 2 run game.

281. dennis g says:

Looks like he is going to retain it as long as CH is at the helm. Today was his 13th start.

282. Stlrfanrc (Ryan) says:

You’re absolutely right on that strategy TC, but it depends on the depth of the hit that determines the actual cutoff guy .

283. bpn8pitt says:

In Wrigley, I kinda understand with the wind, but you make a good point.

Agree with you, Ryan.

Finally heard from Spunky! I got home from Ocean City around 4ish. Putting stuff away, doing laundry and got the urge to check e-mail. Revvie just got home today after…are you sitting down? FIVE bypasses! Yikes! Thank the LORD something “didn’t feel right” and he went in to see what was going on. Thanks to all you Loonies for praying and sending good vibes for our very own Revvie. And praise God he is doing ok and home. He said he’d be off work for a while. Send some more prayers for his continue recovery. <3 you Revvie!

286. Cmat0829 says:

dumb to dumber too

287. Cmat0829 says:

No way. Locke is above Cumpton on the pecking order though not the way they called them up this year. Our starters in order : Cole, Morton, Liriano (when healthy), Volquez, Locke, Cumpton, Worley. That said, they will not risk losing Worley who appears to be a find of some sort…at least not this soon.

Options when Cole returns:

Send Cumpton to AAA
    DFA Gomez, Cumpton to pen
    CL Volquez
    DFA Worley
    DFA Grilli.

I put these in order of likelihood IMHO. It is the point of the season where players are pitching or playing for their spots every time out….but I think since Cumpton has options he keeps starting in AAA as insurance. If and when Liriano comes back, if his performance warrants, we have another tough choice between Locke and Volquez.

288. Cmat0829 says:

1. At this point Pirates need to win the game today and not worry so much about tomorrow.
    2. Pretty simple, Clint preferred Watson to Cumpton in the 8th. I agree.

Thanks Jandy. And FYI, he posted yesterday and let us know.

Hope you had a great vacation.

290. dennis g says:

CH is like the gambler who bets a five team parlay and after winning the four Sunday games he goes down to the book and bets the other way on Monday, so that he cannot lose any money, instead of following his own brain and sticking with his original pick. He picks Cumpton (or Locke or A.J. last year) and when they have great success he tries to guarantee that he won’t lose by going to the closer, as if he is some sort of miracle worker.

291. dennis g says:

John Wehner explained it on TV. As a professional you are supposed to prepare yourself before every pitch so that you will know exactly what you are going to do in every situation. These guys simply aren’t doing it. I will say JHay thought the ground ball in front of him the other day was going through (I think) and he was not unprepared just wrong. He took a chance as he was trying to score and he lost.

292. dennis g says:

I do see why they haven’t let Polanco steal until now. That was one awful slide. I hope they can break him of watching the ball when he hits it as he runs to first base.

293. Nate83 says:

Thought I was drunk until I got to the bottom of the thread and realized it was supposed to be backwards. Nice pitching by Cumpton, Locke and Worley their last times out. Pirates might have one of those good problems when Cole comes back and definitely when Liriano comes back.

The Bucs are not the only team with pitching injuries. ESPN is reporting that the Cards are placing both Jaime Garcia and Michael Wacha on the DL with shoulder injuries.

Garcia’s twice surgically repaired shoulder is bothering him, and it is possible he is headed for a 3rd surgery on it.

Wacha described his injury as shoulder tightness, while ESPN is calling it a stress fracture. GM John Mozekak said the injury caught them completely by surprise, and he will be out a couple of weeks and then re-evaluated.

295. dennis g says:

Hate the newest on top format if we are still voting.

296. Karen22 says: