Final: Rays 5, Pirates 1

By Dejan Kovacevic | Trib Total Media

Looking ahead to first pitch …

Game: Pirates (39-38) vs. Tampa Bay Rays (31-48)

Time: 12:10 p.m.

Site: Tropicana Field, St. Petersburg, Fla.

TV, Radio: Root Sports, 93.7 The Fan

Here’s the official live box score.

Here’s TribLIVE’s Pirates page and our Bucco Blog. Rob Biertempfel is on the scene for the Trib.

Comments

I’m glad DK put this thread up. I thought it was another night game. I’m pretty sure that’s what the Guide for DirecTV said. Gotta call home and get the recording set up.

* We need Ground Chuck to be firing on all cylinders today vs. Price. Price is tough, but I think Charlie has just as much chance of shutting down Tampa as Price has of shutting down the Bucs.

* I sure hope Marte isn’t out long. I know there are advantages to sliding head first as far as avoiding tags, but I think they are outweighed by the injury risks to your fingers, hands, wrists and, most importantly, head.

* So, it looks like JHay is the de facto starting RF for as long as Marte is out? Or, do they start Lunch Box vs. RHP? I still think Tabata is a more versatile option than Snider.

* Bit of a rough patch for Melancon the last week or two. But, he’s been very good for a year and a half for this team. The one thing I don’t get, and I complained about it here last night, is why they would play that “no doubles” defense when he is protecting a 6-3 lead in the 9th. I don’t get the logic, especially when the book on Melancon is for righties to shoot the ball over the second baseman. Too many balls that could be caught are dropping for singles in RF vs. Melancon right now. At least, that is how it looks to me.

* I would love to see Russ and his .400+ OBP batting 9th today. I don’t recall a Bucco lineup with this much flexibility in a long time.

* I’m thinking we need a bullpen arm for the stretch, unless Grilli snaps back. Wilson has not been as effective as last year, either.

Break out the brooms today, Buccos!!

+++++

I’m glad you mentioned Melancon. This morning on The Fan they seemed to make a big deal of the bullpen last night. I didn’t think Melancon pitched that poorly. 3 singles and a wild pitch. And if he doesn’t throw the wild pitch then there may have not been any runs scored (or less)

I thought at least one of them could have been a flyout if Polanco wasn’t 350′ from home plate, TC. None of the hits were struck particularly hard.

For all the criticism Melancon takes, and I realize he has had a few clunkers in the past week or two, his line is still pretty good this year: 36.1 innings, 25 hits, 6 walks, 2 HBP, 1 HR allowed, 0.85 WHIP. In fact, if you just posted that line and asked fans if they would take that for our closer, I bet 95% of fans would say, “Please give me that guy over Melancon.”

Hopefully, he’ll snap back.

5. Stuart says:

FWIW I liked yesterdays lineup with Neal hitting 4th and Pedro 8th (second cleanup). Hope Marte isn’t out long.

In the end, I think Tabby was just too goofy, with a seemingly limited attention span. His hitting abilities were more suited to a leadoff hitting center fielder, but he didn’t have the defense, or speed, or arm to go along with that. As the years go by, and salaries continue to rise, he will someday be claimed by another team when inevitably he gets passed through waivers again after a call up/send down.

Stuart

6. Stuart says:

Hey, just noticed, we have been reversed! The Trib will have to be careful, or they’ll be getting high marks for listening to their consumers!

Glad we tried it, but gladder still that the last is not now first.

Just sayin

Stuart
    PS Hey Rev, glad to see you’re back. Best wishes for complete recovery.
    Stu

7. Playoffs by 2012 says:

So the Penguins are ready to hire some guy straight out of Juniors.
    Apparently John Russell was unavailable.

GO BUCS!

8. Baywatch says:

Did I miss it, or has there been a conclusive announcement on what’s wrong with Marte? Just before bed, Biertempfel tweeted he had been taken in for a CT scan. I like to get closure on those type of tests!

hey hey it’s Playoffs!

Obscure question for Andrew, NMR and anyone else who is SABR-inclined. Do you know why HBP are not included in WHIP? Is it just because WHBPHIP is not a catchy acronym?

I don’t think anyone has gotten test results /answers as yet…

Rob B. tweeted that this is the first time the Bucs have won 5 straight road series’ since 19(freaking)82. Yikes!

13. Karen22 says:

His outs were LOUD, too. Watson should be closing.

14. Stuart says:

Actually Playoffs, Pens fans like high-powered offense, and Mr. Johnson might just be best to fit that sort of bill. I, for one, would sure hate to see them become “shutdown-shell” NJ Devils of the inglorious past. I could see Johnson with Ulf and Tochett as assistants teaching our d-men and go-to-the-net forwards. Guess that might be a lateral transfer for Ulfie though.

Nice to see you back Playoffs.

Stuart

15. Karen22 says:

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!!

Polancomania – RF
    JHay – LF
    Cutch – CF
    Gabfest – 1b
    Russ – DH
    Mercer Mercer Me – SS
    Real Deal – 2b
    Barmesy – 3b
    Stewart – C

Johnson is a puck-possession fiend. This is good, but yes, attention to defense must also come into play. Enter Ulfie and Tocchet.

18. Karen22 says:

Mornin’, Playoffs!

Mercy!

(Tribute to Spunky)

20. Stuart says:

PRNW 7th?

Rob B. also reporting that G Cole will start vs. NYM on Saturday. This little respite for him might work out pretty well in the end.

22. Stuart says:

Pedro to the Pine with his buddy pitching?

I understand who is pitching for the Rays, but Pedro sitting is not a good sign

24. Karen22 says:

Good observations, Jim. Anybody notice that Wilson’s fastball is more lower to mid-90′s and not upper 90′s this year? Son & I were talking about this last week.

And I have always had a HUGE problem with head-first slides. They should be banned (isn’t MLB concerned about safety now with the Posey rule?)…and until they are, managers should impose benching and fines for those who put themselves (and thus, their teams) in jeopardy.

25. Baywatch says:

He also Tweeted that – per Hurdle – Marte cleared his tests, NO CONCUSSION, but does have a swollen finger that got jammed on the same play.

26. Stuart says:

TC, You don’t think something is in the works do you?

27. Tom P. says:

To add the Rays lineup:

CF: Desmond Jennings
    SS: Ben Zobrist
    DH: Matt Joyce
    3B: Evan Longoria
    1B: James Loney
    LF: Brandon Guyer
    RF: Kevin Kiermaier
    2B: Logan Forsythe
    C: Jose Molina
    SP: David Price

28. Karen22 says:

Sure isn’t – From 8th to DH to the pine in the last three games. WOW.

well, that’s good news!

30. Karen22 says:

Really weak last 3rd of the lineup (except for Neil) – might as well bat Charlie. Geeeeez.

31. Karen22 says:

YES – good news – but NO MORE HEAD-FIRST SLIDES!!!!

32. Stuart says:

Maybe a wakeup call?

33. The Gunner says:

Stu

The BMTIB is shopping Pedro and, if the right deal comes along, NH will pull the trigger.

Sorry, meant LF for JHay.

35. likeabugonarug says:

With this tough lefty, not surprised Pedro’s on the bench. And Walker will be batting RH, so makes sense he’s not batting 4th today.

Kevin

I hope the change back of the order of posts didn’t chase away all the posters who had migrated from Twitter.

37. Baywatch says:

Karen, the only thing I like about that head-first slide is he shoots that hand of his in there real quick to beat the tag. It seems to be the convincing thing for the replay evidence … but yeah, the boy is an accident waiting to happen!

38. Stuart says:

Jandy, did you take your two Shelbys to OC? Wife and I stopped there in May, and thought of you when we saw a pretty nice car show there. Weather was colder than a witches ti… er heart.

That’s a good question about the Wilson velocity, Karen. Now that you mention it, he does seem to be more in the 94 range most nights. That’s still plenty good, but I do recall more 95-96-97 last year. Not sure if that is definitely the case, but it seems that way.

But, he is definitely not hitting his spots as consistently as last year. Walks and hits are both up.

40. Baywatch says:

Did DK bring those Twitter people over here, like he was Capt. John Smith on The Mayflower or something? :-)

I do not think something is in the works.

If you trade Pedro now you are selling low…with the hope he gets on one of those famous ‘hot streaks’.

I think they should keep him. And maybe I am just stubborn, but I think they should play him.

42. Stuart says:

I’d do (even up) Pedro for Price. Put PRNW on third and, if Neal can learn 2nd, so can JHAY.

43. cosmo says:

TSN reporting that the Lightning have used a compliance buyout on Ryan Malone. He is now a free agent.
    Cheap pick up for Pens?

44. Stuart says:

Too many off-ice issues?

“those Twitter people”

Hilarious, Bay.

46. Baywatch says:

I think he clearly has UNEARNED the right to play vs. lefties for now. And I’d think the time has come to think seriously about moving him to first base next year.

No, Stu, lol. Both Shelby’s stayed home. We skipped the car show, though, and opted to spend the time with our granddaughter on the beach :) We had low 80′s, beautiful weather. DOn’t mention witches… ;X

Yes, don’t touch him! I was a HUGE Malone fan. The guy can’t stay away from drugs/alcohol. That we don’t need.

Twits
    Nit Twits

lol

50. DJ says:

Cannot see that happening with his off-ice issues.

He brought them over in an iPad

52. Stuart says:

J, are car shows a regular thing at OC? We are going to Rehoboth in Aug, and may want to check it out.

It’s nice to have new blood, you old fogies. ;-)

54. Leo Walter says:

Melancon’s numbers are better than Watson’s. Look them up. The ” no doubles ” defense in that situation to start the 9 th last night was much like going into the prevent defense with a 10 point lead at the end of the 3d quarter of an NFL game : over management.

That’s a joke, right?

Actually, I agree, it is :)

I wish more would sign up with Biz, tho.

57. Stuart says:

Time for some indoor painting before the game. See yinz later.

Confirmed by several sources, I’m sure.

Sheesh.

59. cmat0829 says:

LOL, keep calm everyone. NO ‘message’ here, Pedro hasn’t hit against leftys in a while and Price is particularly good. NO ‘trade’ in the works. WE do read a lot of things into every little thing don’t we?

You eliminate head-first slides, you eliminate stolen bases, Karen.

Baseball is played at incredibly thin margins.

Average 4-seamer ’13: 96.69 mph
    Average 4-seamer ’14: 96.27 mph

He’s averaging around 95 this month, which I’m guessing is what most people are noticing. But I’m not sure if that’s an indication of arm strength or trying to reign in his command, which has been fairly awful.

62. The Gunner says:

I think they are starting to shop Pedro but, no trade will occur short term. I agree they need to play him.

63. Baywatch says:

I Tweet myself. And actually, I’m doing more of it these days. I write a lot more replies than your average bear – and I get some responses. In the past few days I started sharing some of my music, off Spotify, and got some real nice response – that I don’t normally get on Facebook.

64. SeanAY says:

Gunner,

Based on what, exactly?

They have control of his rights until the end of 2016. Why oh why would they be looking to trade him now?

An undisclosed discipline issue has Altoona’s Alen Hanson buried deep in chateau bow bow. Benched for the 5th straight game today.

Thanks for the info, NMR. I do agree that his command is not nearly as good as last year right now.

67. cmat0829 says:

The Bucs in June thus far are 14-8. While the offense is certainly much better than early in the season and in years past, the key has been starting pitching.

14 of the 22 games a Pirates starter has gone at least 6 innings, and that is 14 of the last 17 games (the first week of June Hurdle had a quick hook on the starters)… and 2 of those 3 are the Liriano injury start and the Volquez getting rocked by the Reds.

No doubt the starting pitching is a huge key…and Clint is now leaning on this guys a bit more to take pressure off of the bullpen. Kudos to Jeff Locke & Brandon Cumpton, as well as newcomer Vance Worley.

68. The Gunner says:

Sean-AY

It is just a gut feeling I have, that’s all.

69. DJ says:

Picking up on this, I have a purely anecdotal observation and then a question for the blog’s baseball gurus.

Seems to me that the top level base swipers of yesteryear would make it safely to 2B with more room to spare than I am seeing in today’s game. Today, almost every steal I see is a VERY close play at 2B now (assuming the throw is reasonably on line).

Do you agree and, if so, do you believe it’s a result of pitchers today doing a better job with slide-steps and pitch delivery times; catchers having better arms, accuracy or delivery times; or the top base stealers today not being as good with their jumps?

70. cmat0829 says:

Pirates first 20 road games: 6-14.
    Pirates last 18 road games: 12-6.

Now that they have righted the road ship, time to start playing better at PNC where they are just 21-18. Golden opportunity beckons as they welcome the Mess, the Dbags and the Phossils on the next homestand.

71. Baywatch says:

I just saw that … HEY, MILO! :-)

72. cmat0829 says:

trade proposal: Alen Hanson trades his ‘e’ to Jaff Decker. Order restored.

Yeah, it’s not like they dumped trash all over the blog and just left.

Hey Bay !

75. Patrick(ri) says:

Probably working on his DDDPU numbers.

76. diehard says:

Maybe they’d shop him because he’s a DH? (Or a lousy fielding/throwing third baseman with bad footwork who hits in the low .200s with men in scoring position and disappears late in games?)

77. Baywatch says:

LOL!

I personally don’t think it is anything more than Clint going with the hot righty batter in favor of the lefty batter vs. a nasty LHP.

Maybe he’s sending a Pedro a message lately that no job is safe, but I don’t read much more into it than he thinks Josh deserves to be in the lineup. The logical guys to rest vs. tough LHP are Pedro and Neil. Personally, I don’t think Neil is exactly setting the world on fire with his .268 avg. and 2 XBH in 47 plate appearances vs. LHP.

79. DJ says:

Yeah, whatever.

Let’s see what he does in the NHL. Flights are paid for and I assume everyone has a cell phone by now.

Is Marte going to be wearing an oven mitt on his head when he returns?

Sonofagun probably didn’t run out another Infield Fly Rule.

Just think what our record would be if we weren’t getting hammered by the Reds and Brewers. Wait, I think we can do that. We are 7-17 vs. those 2 teams, which means we are 32-21 vs. the rest of the league.

Nicely played, cmat.

84. DJ says:

Sorry baseball bloggers. Wrong thread.

Successfully re-posted @ “Penguins hire Mike Johnston”.

He was hitting 98 in a fairly recent outing if I recall.

Better you than me ;)

Dunno Stu, but I saw there was one there June 21 and June 22, so thought he might want to catch it, but hubby decided not to go. Check on line, that’s where I saw it…held at the Convention Center

88. Thanks. And I like Jim’s lineup card better than 24/7′s.

Quit trying to rile NMR up. ;-)

90. Just resting him after a strenuous night game last night. He could pinch DH him for Martin if need be.

anytime, my friend :)

Good to “see” you

92. I think you’ve named most of the reasons, DJ.

I do agree, and believe the gap has closed mostly due to catcher skill improving.

Not necessarilly arm strength, but “pop time” – the time from when the pitch hits the mitt and the throw hits the glove.

94. cmat0829 says:

Was that post authored for you by Timmy Tim? “hammered”. but yes, major bummer for us not to be doing better in the division, especially vs. Reds and Brewers.

++++

First DJ posting hockey stuff and now this? NMR BE ANGRY. ;)

Speaking of the bullpen pressure, Clint sure did yank Sling Blade quickly, didn’t he? Comes on with 1 out and nobody on base, gives up a hit, and off he goes. Why not just bring in Watson right away if you have that little faith in Hughes? I am concerned about the depth of this pen this year. I think they need reinforcement(s) for the stretch run.

Anyone have some Jack links to calm the beast ;)

I’m not sure who Timmy Tim is, cmat.

Would you prefer “handled” by the Brewers and Reds? The point is, those teams are eating our lunch so far. I think we’ll turn it around against them, but they are the teams that have dominated us the most, right?

Just repeat, “Serenity now”, my friend. This, too, shall pass.

Ha, I’m a vegetarian, Jandy. Give me all your kale or else! ;)

Thanks for reminding me, 21. I do remember that now.

Does WalMart sell kale?????

;)

104. cmat0829 says:

sorry, Timmy Tim is Tim Neverett, whose favorite verb on his radio calls is ‘hammered’.. you’d think his color analyst was Joe Namath or something.

Wasn’t attacking your post at all, just attempting a little Neverett jab.

105. Andrew says:

Wilson Zone% is down for both his four-seamer and cutter, the sample is small, but he is pretty much Justin Wilson, spotting fastball command.

106. Andrew says:

I have to stay the acoustics at the Trop were fooling me, I thought a lot balls were well hit at contact, but then an outfielder lazily drifted under the ball.

107. Likewise. Good to be here. I get to listen to this one on my laptop and not get in trouble for it at work.

:D

LOL perks, eh?

109. cmat0829 says:

It did strike me (or as Wehner would say ‘schhtrike’ me) as odd that Hughes was who he turned to vs. the LH Loney… I could only think it was either because Watson wasn’t quite ready (and they needed to pull Locke after the HR) or maybe he was hoping Lurch would get the 2 outs and not have to use Watson there (or use in the 9th). I don’t have an issue with throwing your best reliever in a spot you want to be sure you shut down the rally, but yes, that was odd.

At this point, #1 focus is to get starters to go 7. #2 is to not overuse Watson/Melancon and rely on Hughes, Wilson and even Grilli to bridge the game to the 9th. #3 is to acquire a bullpen guy, perhaps a closer like Street. With the starters bouncing back, the boost of a Cole and maybe Liriano return, and the obscene cost of top end starters on the trade market, it may be the best move NH can make is to go aggressive on someone like Street in SD or Soria in Texas to solidify the pen.

The great thing is the offense looks to be strongest we’ve had in recent memory, so the deadline holes to plug are starting to get a wee bit smaller… bullpen now #1 mission, starter possibly, SS/1B upgrade possible.

110. Andrew says:

Every Pirate in the lineup hits LHP better than Alvarez, even Chris Single Stewart.

Hey, Lucky. Hope you are feeling well, buddy!

112. The Gunner says:

He needs to wear that equipment that the guy who picks up the balls wears at the Cool Springs driving range.

Got it. Neverett drives me crazy, too. He seems like a good guy, but I don’t think he’s very good at his job.

114. cmat0829 says:

The Philadelphia Phollies have jump started their youth movement by signing 31-year-old Grady Sizemore to a minor league deal. Rumor has it they are interested in the recently released former Phossil Raul Ibanez as well.
    GM (and absolute idiot) Ruben Amaro Jr. says that the Phils will ‘never rebuild. We need to at least field a ‘competitive’ team in 2015 and 2016′ Good luck with that Ruben.

115. Maz In Iowa says:

In the last 16 games, the Pittsburgh starting pitchers have combined to go 8-3 with a 3.23 ERA (100.1ip/36er)…
    The starting staff has gone 12-5 with a 3.33 ERA (132.1ip/49er) this month.

Since May 6 the Pirates have posted the best record in the National League (27-18, .600); also the third-best
    record in the Major Leagues in that time behind Oakland (28-17, .622) and Toronto (29-18, .61

Good thing they’re open 24/7

;)

117. Maz In Iowa says:

Good Cholly or bad?

118. cmat0829 says:

News item: David Price says recent trade rumors put him in a ‘bad mood’. Not sure why. Athletes should focus on performing on the field and at this point the only deals would catapult him from last place to the thick of a playoff race, from playing before 12K people in a mauseleum to pitching in packed ballparks full of adoring fans.

Cry me a river, David.

I wonder if Liriano could help solidify the bullpen. He has not been the answer for starters getting deep into games this year. Then, again, you need to throw strikes out of the pen also. I don’t have a lot of faith in Frankie right now, but maybe he’ll come back as 2013 Frankie. It’s not as though he is getting hit hard, but that plate seems to be moving on him.

Hopefully good!

121. cmat0829 says:

7IP, 1ER, 2BB, 2HBP 7Ks. Good Cholly.

122. Florida Steeler says:

Is it true the Cardinal’s are about to get Price?? Yikes!!!!!

123. Florida Steeler says:

Is there anyone in baseball slower than Gaby???

124. Breakthestreak says:

Yes. Ike Davis

125. Florida Steeler says:

ha-ha I think you are correct.

126. Karen22 says:

LOL!

127. Florida Steeler says:

Is he in jail???

Not yet.

Kyle Stark says Hanson has not been suspended. He has been given some time off to work on some things. Clear as mud.

If he stays on his feet he catches that.

131. cmat0829 says:

Put it this way. it is TRUE the Cardinals have scouts watching Price. And it is TRUE they are likely discussing internally whether they want to part with 3-4 prospects (including someone like Carlos Martinez) AND pay Price $20M next season while losing him after in FA. Would be a shift for the Cards to do so.

132. Lonely Libertarian says:

Easy catch for a healthy Marte…

Cutch needs a new position.

133. cmat0829 says:

yep cutch (and pedro) a bit slide happy in the field.

Not the start we wanted, obviously. Can’t fall too far behind vs. Price.

sheesh 2-0 already

My pure guess is they are kicking the tires, but will find the price (no pun intended) too high. I think it would be tough for them to re-sign him for what he will command, given all the young pitching talent they already want to keep.

Why was the infield back with Price pitching ?

errr 1-0

Meanwhile, fans have figured it out and attendance is slipping.

140. The Gunner says:

It is a typical start for Charlie. Maybe he’ll get it straightened out & also, get some offensive support.

141. cmat0829 says:

yep in perusing the Cards’ blogs and such, getting Price would be a shift in strategy for them. They covet their prospects. Some grousing that the “Price is too high”. speculation it would take Martinez or Wacha, Adams or Craig, PLUS 2 prospects.

You don’t get to the post season without sweeping series and putting together some long winning streaks.

143. cmat0829 says:

Clint reading the blog clippings about the new offense I guess.

144. cmat0829 says:

Typical also that the defense less than sharp behind Cholly. To be fair, Cutch and Jordy should make both plays… not sure what the score would be , but not 2-0.

145. Florida Steeler says:

Thanks, guys. Knew someone would know something.

146. Baywatch says:

Didn’t they used to call their first base coach “Joggin’ George Hendrick?” I’m thinking he was the first jogger.

What has Charlie done worse than Volquez or Locke?

And in another dumpster dive, Carlos Pena is up with the Rangers.

149. Florida Steeler says:

James Loney–the guy that should have been our first baseman but Neil wouldn’t give him three years. Just who do we have that is so good in two more years at first??
    P.S. Morneau 6 rbi’s last night.

150. twentytwo22 says:

Maddening team. Get 2 wins then no-show.

151. cmat0829 says:

Sigh, Bad Cholly I guess. He just refuses to pitch to contact this year. NO reason after going 0-2 to hit this guy.

James Loney has a .721 OPS. He is not a good hitter.

You’re kidding, right?

154. Maz In Iowa says:

A day without Morton hitting a batter……..is like a day w/o sunshine

155. cmat0829 says:

Overreact much to a single off the pither’s leg? Looking at Loney’s stats we are lucky he didn’t clog up the position for us for the next 3 years. NOT saying I’m sold on Ike, but let’s calm down on the Loney lust.

156. Patrick(ri) says:

Does it seem like the Pirates often get on the plane before the first inning on getaway days?

157. Maz In Iowa says:

Lotta pitches already

Brian McCann.

159. cmat0829 says:

i’m overreacting with hyperbole to a frustrating inning, yep.

160. Baywatch says:

I’ll just be darned if I hadn’t just had the thought, “Well, the only thing to complete the cycle on Bad Charlie Day is …” and then, “PLUNK!” Some days, I’d rather have Snell out there than him!

161. Lonely Libertarian says:

Bad luck Morton – he should be out of this inning – but he also seems to find a way to add to his problems – and create an opportunity for a big inning…

Cutch really responsible for the runners mining up – when will the media do their job and talk about his crappy defense.

Still in the game if he can get out of it 3-0…

I’ve said this before, it’s a good thing Cutch does the big things well.

163. Andrew says:

James Loney is currently hitting worse than both Pirates first basemen and if the Pirates did get him everyone would complain about his lack of power.

Always have sucked on getaway days under Hurdle. Always.

165. twentytwo22 says:

McCutchen is Tabata today.

Score should be 0-0 after 1.

167. Maz In Iowa says:

Waiting for the wild pitch Bay

168. Florida Steeler says:

What r u talking about?? Not better than Ike Davis?? Give me a break with your ops. The guy is hitting .286 with 35 or 36 rbi’s.

169. cmat0829 says:

I’m sorry guys but that play just now underlines the weakness Cutch has sometimes in CF. NO REASON for a medium fly ball to allow THREE RUNNERS to advance on the sac fly. At the very least, he needs to keep the runner at 1b and not allow 2 guys to move up into scoring position.

And I’ve yet to see a Cutch throw this year that was above average… please point me to the video so I can be corrected.

Maybe I’m grumpy becuase of the 0-3 start here…but my eyes see what they see.

170. Andrew says:

It is a little suspect to trust defensive ratings in 600 inning samples.

171. cmat0829 says:

Wehner just did.

172. Breakthestreak says:

Does Morton ever compete? He looks scared out there on many days. Reminds me of a little leaguer who’s afraid of going up to bat when the “big kid” pitches

173. The Gunner says:

Just made a statement, it is a typical start for Charlie – that’s all

174. dennis g says:

How come you never mention Ike Davis’s awful defense?

Just kidding, I agree with you.

175. cmat0829 says:

I could do without any popcorn psychological analysis of players based on our observations on a TV monitor. that goes for this morton crap, as well as Pedro isn’t emotional enough, to Cutch shouldnt laugh in the dugout while the team is losing, etc.

176. Florida Steeler says:

You need to re-check your facts because you are wrong.

177. Patrick(ri) says:

Mercer not exactly a speed burner either.

.708 OPS over 552 PA since August of last year.

He is not good.

How ’bout you start by presenting some of your own?

180. cmat0829 says:

tough break, bid for a base hit up the middle, turns into DP good play by Zobrist. baseball.

Jesus.

182. cmat0829 says:

must have outbid Ruben the Rube.

“Maybe he’ll get it straightened out” implies he’s done something wrong, no?

What exactly would that be?

184. cmat0829 says:

need to revise that. 6 IP 3 ER (but should be 0).

185. Patrick(ri) says:

Agreed. In the “grumpy” category, it looks like Walker could have used a few rehab games.

186. Maz In Iowa says:

Looking like they will have to grind it out to win.Need to force Price to throw more pitches

187. dennis g says:

I could easily do without lectures on the proper subjects for comments.

188. Baywatch says:

LOL!

189. dennis g says:

I think this is partly attributable to the early start time. I don’t remember the Bucs ever starting this early before. Of course the remainder is just typical Buc inattentiveness and lack of preparation.

190. Baywatch says:

Pirates lead the NL in errors with 60. Charlie has 29 of those (counting HBP as errors here, too, to his credit!).

191. Naterosboro says:

This is what I deal with when my parents watch Pirate games.

I’m not sure if it’s the age or what, but it seems they have amnesia. Their opinions drastically change from at bat-to-at bat, pitch-to-pitch, inning-to-inning, etc.

Is it the need to always place blame on someone? I don’t know.

But it’s frustrating.

192. Florida Steeler says:

I don’t need to prove that I am correct and you are wrong. Look it up!!!

193. bpn8pitt says:

+++++++5 billion.

194. KING says:

Pirates down 3-0…Looks bleak with Price on the mound. Hope Bucs can rally. Try to get Price pitch count up. Can never count Pirates out though as last few weeks have shown. Mercer error really was a killer. KING

195. Baywatch says:

Spank!

196. The Gunner says:

A typical start by Charlie, that’s all. 44 pitches over 2 innings and down by 3. At this pace, he might go 5 innings. Maybe the defense will get it together, the offense will come alive and Charlie can start to mow ‘em down.

That’s interesting. I think it has more to do with the slide steps.

198. DJ says:

Luckster, how you doing?

You know my “irascible” reference was meant only in the kindest way. Really missed your posts. Even channeled by “Inner Lucky” and threw a Polanco one in a few days back in tribute to you.

199. cmat0829 says:

ok fair enough. I change my post to this:

Does Morton ever compete? Every damn inning this guy competes. That is a pretty uninformed comment to make that this guy is ‘scared’ to compete… ridiculous.

200. cmat0829 says:

Did Longoria lose a bet with that haircut? Geeze.

201. bpn8pitt says:

You bitched about little things with Cutch above, and then give somebody a lecture on their comment about Morton.

Christ, isnt most of the blog about opinion? Sometimes you need to let some stuff go.

+++

I’ll adopt you Nate for baseball if you like.

But do you eat a lot?

204. dennis g says:

Just listening to the interview with Mike LaValliere where it was said that he once threw out 56 runners in one season. That was a surprise to me so I looked to see who has the record. The record was set in 1895 at 189. The most incredible thing is that no one since 1920 has thrown out more than 70 but it happened 368 times in 1920 or earlier. The post 1920 record is held by former Buc Tony Pena along with Jim Sundberg, Tom Pagnozzi, Gary Carter and Hank Severeid (1922.)

Wonder what was so different, besides the introduction of the long ball.

Here’s a towel so you can wipe that egg off your face.

indeed.

George Herman Ruth changed the game forever.

Don’t go to NMR’s….all he eats is Kale!

:shudder:

Did you get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

210. Maz In Iowa says:

50 pitches.Not good

211. cmat0829 says:

I guess I see a difference between commenting on Cutch’s physical play in the field with someone questioning a player’s being scared to compete. But I have no problem if someone wants to blast back at me for any comment I make… it’s called debate. Some comments are thoughtful and thought-provoking and some are ummm less so.

212. Lonely Libertarian says:

worst defense in NL per Fangraphs
    - worst OF, 2B
    1B-14th – ahead of Miami

213. cmat0829 says:

not at all. As to Longoria’s bleached mohawk, I’ll stand by my remark.

cmat, some days you’re funny, others you’re thought provoking.
    Today you should have stayed in bed

215. Patrick(ri) says:

Risking the wrath of cmat, it looks like Jay Hay is the only guy who came to play (at bats seem more focused, etc). Can probably add Morton these last couple of innings. Hope everybody else steps it up a bit.

You’re grumpy.

Period

217. cmat0829 says:

maybe i’m off my game just in Cholly’s starts, just like the Pirates D. Sorry if I offered nothing today, it is getaway day after all. Or maybe I’m just afraid to compete with others on the blog.

don’t worry bout cmat, he’ll be fine after a good night’s rest ;)

Ruth followed the three h’s. Hot dogs, hookers & homers.

220. tomf says:

3 singles and a wild pitch – in 1 inning – the 9th inning – is not good

We eat Kale!

222. cmat0829 says:

HAHA.. not at all. but like the Pirates’ players psyches, I can see the blog-types are all knowing from afar.

223. KING says:

Our best hope today is Maddon pulls a Hurdle & takes out Price after 7. We might be able to scratch a few runs off the relievers. Sometimes, you have to tip your cap to the pitcher. KING

Don’t be sorry, man we all have our days…it’s all good.

225. cmat0829 says:

taking one for the team, anything to get the blog arrows pointed at me and away from Cholly, Clint, Pedro.

lol

227. Maz In Iowa says:

Good thing the pen is rested.Morton closing in on 70 pitches.Maybe 2 more innings

Pirates are 10-18 in day games, worst in the big leagues.

lol nut!

that’s how blog types are….and YOU are a blog type :P

231. tomf says:

compare Melancon’s 8th inning numbers with his 9th inning numbers

They left the bus running, didn’t they ?

233. cmat0829 says:

Price is good.

234. Lonely Libertarian says:

Next time we see Price he will be in a Cardinal uniform…

235. Patrick(ri) says:

There we go, Walker! Now let’s squeeze more pitches out of this guy.

236. tomf says:

did not see the play – but Cutch needs to work on his throws

this apparent last year (and previous seasons)

237. dennis g says:

Certainly that is true but there was only one of him. In looking over the top ten seasons for throwing out runners most of the catchers were in the high 30′s and 40′s for % of success, which is pretty comparable to the modern leaders. Teams were just running all of the time back then.

238. tomf says:

Marte played CF recently and badly misplayed a ball

so I don’t believe he is a lock to provide better defense

239. Patrick(ri) says:

Smooth, dynamite control (maybe the bestbI have seen, measured by the box on the screen & apparent path to the glove. He even looks in total control, if I dare say (just kidding, cmat).

They livened up the ball when they saw the excitement Ruth brought to the game. The dead ball era was just that.

241. Andrew says:

Well we cannot complain that Pirates hitters are making some bum look like a Cy Young candidate.

I don’t buy scared to compete, but even Clint and/or DK has talked about how sometimes he creates more problems for himself. Maybe it’s overthinking. But it’s not made up.

Yeah, pretty clear this guy isn’t interested in adult conversation.

244. Andrew says:

James Loney: .286/.342/.380 wRC+ 106
    Ike Davis: .249/.361/.376 wRC+ 115
    Gaby Sanchez: .250/.301/.468 wRC+ 112

Total number of base runners when batter at plate.
    Ike Davis: 148
    Gaby Sanchez: 104
    James Loney: 197

There are much better ways to evaluate hitters then just looking at average and RBIs.

David Price came into today 29th in the AL in ERA & leading in homers allowed. Not exactly Warren Spahn here. He’s a good pitcher, but we’re helping out quite a bit.

246. tomf says:

Pirates have a first basemen

with good range

power

Pedro Alvarez

247. Maz In Iowa says:

Cardinals bringing up another hot shot pitcher in 2013 first-rounder Marco Gonzales.My God that team is hip deep in pitching prospects!

It’s not age. It’s you youngins that are into “what have you done for me lately.” :-)

Yeah but he has been on a roll. 8 complete his last 3 starts and into the 8th before that. Double digit strikeouts each time. And 4 BB’s in those 31 innings.

250. cmat0829 says:

Question is whether he will be like Wacha (very good) or Shelby Miller (very overrated). They are just prospects after all until they show it in the bigs. But yes, Cards have a good pipeline as do the Bucs.

251. cmat0829 says:

Today is NOT like those games when the Bucs just layed down for a mediocre pitcher. Price is in complete command and he is painting the corners and giving the Bucs little to hit (notable exception was the one Cutch struck out on early in the game).

Are you also Flbucco?

And he’s won 1 game since May 13th. He’s pitching well today & I’d love to have him here. But Our Buccos didn’t show up today.

254. cmat0829 says:

my description of the play: Cutch ran hard to this right, but then kinda coasted to make the catch…took 4-6 additional steps before throwing toward 3B, nothing on the throw. No fear by all runners to tag and take the base, I’m sure because of scouting reports that you can most certainly run on Cutch at will. It’s ok, he still is MVP and I love Cutch, but this is not a strength for him. He’s human, but could do just a wee bit more to set up and throw with authority.

+++++

Do the Cardinals know if the super two date has passed?

257. Lonely Libertarian says:

got to dig a bit deeper Milo…

Last 5 starts he has been filthy – after two back to back games giving up 5 runs in mid-May he has been on a roll…

He is 4th in the league in xFIP – and improving that over the last month…

He does give up a lot of HRs – but you had better have a runner or two on if u expect to get a big inning.

258. cmat0829 says:

yep, an 0-2-2 linescore with at least 3 additional defensive miscues and 10Ks is pretty good indicator of phoning (or texting) this one in.

259. Maz In Iowa says:

Cardinals seem to have their guys up a little quicker than most teams however…..they send some back to the minors fairly quick too

260. dennis g says:

I was thinking the same thing the other day.

That’s to Jandy, BTW.

262. tomf says:

thru 6 innings Pirates 4 K’s looking

unacceptable

263. Maz In Iowa says:

2 hit complete game?

264. cmat0829 says:

I’m sure they do, but irrelevant in the case of Marco Gonzales. He is not here to stay the year. Spot start, maybe a couple more, won’t threaten super 2.

265. Lonely Libertarian says:

Looking like we might see a Grilli sighting…

266. cmat0829 says:

Need a dinger from Mar-tan here.

Like I said before LL, I’d love to have him here. We need a #1 & he has been and can be one again. That bottom of the first left a bad taste in my mouth, that’s all. I also get PO’d when I look at a guy like this and know we’ll never make a serious attempt to get him.

Thanks for letting me vent. ;)

268. cmat0829 says:

Just going by today – the only game Price pitches that I really care about (for now). Every time they show that pitch grid, it is obvious the command he has today. They have zeroed in on where to pitch everyone and he is absolutely painting those spots. Like a sharpshooter.

269. cmat0829 says:

oh well, he’s still My Favorite Martin.

270. cmat0829 says:

oh goody, I just jumped to my feet and pumped my fist.

Well starting with May 30 when he appeared to go on a roll, in the games he has lost, his team scored 2, 2, 4 (he gave up 1 run in that game), 0, and 1 run.

272. cmat0829 says:

can Neil hit one out RH?

273. Maz In Iowa says:

2 on.Let’s go!

It is kind of funny that one day we are saying Price is worth trading some prized prospects for, but if he’s good against us?

We Stink.

uhh..cmat, that WASN’T your fist ;x

Yup, that’s our blogger mentality ;)

277. cmat0829 says:

ouch. tough luck again. that’s baseball I guess but I don’t have to like it. Neil put a licking on that ball but Jennings runs it down. Now i know why Maddon plays that scrub, he can fly.

even if he’s right…which he isn’t…that’s no way to go about making your point…you just make yourself look like an azz…

I actually think Walker is stronger from the right side.

280. Patrick(ri) says:

Would have been out if he still had his appendix.

Or Lynn overrated. Or Kelly overrated. Or Martinez overrated.

282. cmat0829 says:

Neil ‘bursting’ with power?

Based on what?

284. cmat0829 says:

it’s the Cards’ halo effect.

Yer all a buncha Y…YI..YINZ…

286. Patrick(ri) says:

This is just a shame — Morton pitching beautifully.

287. cmat0829 says:

Not sure if he is ‘competing’ today or not, but how different would we PERCEIVE this Cholly start if Cutch catches the Zobrist ‘triple’ and Jordy doesn’t boot the Longoria grounder? We’d be talking about how Cholly battled Price and either trailed 1-0 or was locked in a scoreless duel.

If only that damn Charlie Morton could “battle”.

That’s a terrific outing by Morton. Not a stretch at all to say that should have been 7 shutout innings.

290. Maz In Iowa says:

Crappy start for Morton,but he ends the day on a high note

291. Patrick(ri) says:

Still some hope, as Price weakened a bit last inning.

Most of TC’s comments aren’t actually real. No sense responding to them like they are.

This game isn’t over yet.
    Barmes could get us started here…

294. cmat0829 says:

dont be grumpy…..

295. cmat0829 says:

LOL. just kidding. I like Barmesy but LOL.

or not…

297. Lonely Libertarian says:

I would love to see Price in a Pirate uniform – but he would be…
    1. Too expensive in terms of prospects – Kingham + Bell + +
    2. While he is controllable for two more years – they will not be cheap…

But he would fit in the Cards budget – and I would not be surprised if the Brewers try another “win now” move and make a run at him – he would immediately make them almost a lock to win the division…

Meanwhile after a horrible start Charlie has given the Bucs seven strong – people will look at the box score and think he pitched badly – and yes he maybe should have wiggled off of the hook in the 1st – but others played a role in getting him in dutch.

Not to the dinosaur crowd.

stranger things have happened cmat…
    :P

lol

300. Patrick(ri) says:

Forgot where we were in batting order.

301. cmat0829 says:

he’s still My Favorite Barmesy.

yeah…

lol

Good thing Pedro didn’t start.

7 innings, 2 ER, 4 hits, 1 BB, 11 K’s. I’ll take that every day of the week.

MLBTradeRumors is reporting that the PBC and Polanco are still talking about a long term contract

Frankly, they’ve earned it. And they’re getting “prospects” drafting low, since, you know, they’ve been successful.

Almost forgot—ummmmm.

308. Patrick(ri) says:

And the rookie bites the dust.

309. cmat0829 says:

Been a ‘learning series’ for Polanco. He gets a nice long homestand vs. the pitching of the Mets, Dbacks and Phils to ‘deal with adversity’.

310. dennis g says:

Why do you think they would have been aiming at him and he would have thrown a couple more away?

311. dennis g says:

I do think that Hurdle could have pinch hit for Barmes with Alvarez. Price cannot be the same pitcher after100 pitches that he is at the start.

Bob Walk is proof that former players can be absolutely clueless.

What changed with Morton after the first? How is that even a question?

I am soooooooooo against that.

314. cmat0829 says:

Two different things. Cards organization is clearly one of the best in baseball. Media overrates their prospects. I agree with you, I suppose, that the Cards ‘deserve’ the media overhype.

315. pattonbb says:

Jose Tabata says it’s a good thing.

316. cmat0829 says:

Boy does Cutch play deep in CF. Longoria hit a soft-serve to fairly deep right center there and it falls in.

317. dennis g says:

Well he did give up two solidly hit balls to the first two batters and hit a batter on a 1-2 pitch when he could ill afford another base runner. I’d say that was kind of a rough start.

318. dennis g says:

Because he has great speed but is pretty weak at going back on the ball. This is a result of his rookie remark when he said no one could hit a ball over his head.

319. Maz In Iowa says:

Gas can Grilli

320. dennis g says:

Grilli is finished.

I guess this what they call a low leverage situation.

True. He could be stronger.

323. cmat0829 says:

just observing not necessarily complaining.

I thought Tim McCarver proved that loooooooooooong ago.

Stop that, there are still more books to sell. And it hasn’t even come out in paperback yet.

326. cmat0829 says:

Team will need to SHOWER WELL before heading to the airport….

He also had to get six outs instead of three. Kind’ve a big deal in baseball.

328. Florida Steeler says:

He has also played in many more games. Plus, look at the strikeouts, times at bat. I realize he has little power but he plays against righties and lefties and he was a FA and the Bucs did not have to give anything up for him. Ike Davis was a poor choice and the Pirates are paying two people that are not giving them twice the production.

Man I hope he fist-pumped that strikeout.

330. Maz In Iowa says:

Geez Grilli!

331. dennis g says:

And invest in HAZMAT suits.

332. cmat0829 says:

Gaby needs to dig out those throws…. that one wasn’t that bad, and the pickoff earlier in the game… that’s the only thing on defense a team really relies on the 1b for, to dig a throw here and there, and he and Ike have to do better.

Just watching how hard the ball comes off of his bat. Just seems to jump off of his bat. But he obviously doesn’t hit as well right handed.

334. Florida Steeler says:

And, you know so much because you think you are not a dinosaur??

335. cmat0829 says:

duh.. with reporting like that, someone alert Rumbunter.

Huh???

That is something I can agree with you NMR

Good question Jim!

339. cmat0829 says:

Did Joe Maddon get the Cardinal’s permission to let David Price throw 120+ pitches?

340. pattonbb says:

I think I was the only person cheering when Deion Sanders dumped the water on him.

Hey, Cutch with the Bobby Bonilla/Kevin Young homer.

342. Maz In Iowa says:

Cutch makes em pay for leaving Price in there

343. cmat0829 says:

oh ok, Mozeliak just called and now after Cutch’s HR, Maddon pulls Price. Standing O from the camp kids and a couple hundred more Rays “fans”, was that his last start in the Mauseleum?

344. KING says:

Best thing about this game is that Hurdle has just cause for releasing Grilli. Two more runs given up in a more relaxed situation. I thank Grilli for his work & time here but time to move on now. With Cole ready soon, a move has to be made.
    Pirates missed a golden opportunity today. Could have went up 2 games & really laid an egg.

Have to put a nice run together against Mets,D Backs,& Phillies.
    39-39 Pirates record but Cutch connects on HR 12..n ice try late. KING

345. cmat0829 says:

Molina looks like a sumo wrestler.

You were not.

347. cmat0829 says:

Bummer. Lower the Jolly Roger.

OK, to maximize this 26 game stretch against all these lousy teams, this coming homestand needs to be 8-2.

349. Lonely Libertarian says:

I used to call these Clendenons

But isn’t that logic circular?

They’re clearly a fantastic organization, but if they continue having prospects overrated because of that then how do we know how good they really are?

351. cmat0829 says:

I agree, though 7-3 would be winning all 3 series… but yes, i’ll be disappointed if we dont go 8-2. Should score quite a lot of runs against the pitching they get to face now….

352. The Gunner says:

King…………….you could be right about the eventual Grill DFAi arriving sooner rather than later. He is clearly struggling.

I was away for a bit. A lot of folks seem a bit on edge here. It’s mostly good for our Bucs from my perspective. We’re heading home to face the Mets at .500. Best place the Bucs have been for quite awhile. My thoughts:

* Cutch is not a great defensive CF. But, he’s the face of the franchise. Like Jeter and others, the face of the franchise does not get moved off his defensive spot. Fortunately, he’s one of the best hitters in MLB.

* Sounds as though both Price and GC pitched gems today. For my money, Charlie has been closer to a #2 most of this year than the #3 he is expected to be. I continue to grow in my appreciation of that guy.

* Grilli … ugh! I think we need help in the pen.

* We’ll see if Price goes to the Cards, but for what I expect Tampa is asking right now, I doubt it – at least until the ask comes down. I don’t know if there are many suitors that are capable of, and willing to pay what Tampa is surely asking. He may not be traded until winter, when many teams will be looking to upgrade.

Bucs coming home to build a +.500 record. Cole pitching this weekend. Things are looking up in my book.

17 of the next 24 at PNC as well

355. Lonely Libertarian says:

Agree – I would love to see them bite the bullet on Grilli and go to a six man rotation.

The guys on 3 days of rest could be available for a couple of innings out of the bullpen if needed.

Saves face for all of the starters – and if someone goes down with injury they just revert to five man rotation

Assuming JOSH HARRISON doesn’t turn back into Josh Harrison over that stretch, is there a reason why he isn’t being considered for starts at 1B as well?

Umm … that’s shh-truggeling, Gunner. Wehner says so. :-)

If Martin pulls another hammy, I could see him getting a few starts behind the dish.

As a dearly departed friend of mine used to say, it’s just 3rd base backwards.

John Kruk and Mitch Williams are my poster boys for “I didn’t learn much in my lifetime in baseball.”

What the heck. Harrison needs to buy the team.

Amen to that, 21!

On what cheap*ss Nutting pays him? Not a chance.

lol

365. Andrew says:

But overall the Pirates are getting better production from the first base spot (even including Ishikawa ABs) than the Rays and paying less for it, also there is no commitment past this year. I’m not enthralled with Davis, seems to be trying to become a Loney like hitter and his defense has been suspect.

I would have signed up for Loney, but I go back to my original comment if the Pirates had signed him there would be plenty of complaints, not necessarily from you, about his lack of power and 3 homeruns.

366. Andrew says:

If someone looks at the box score and thinks Morton was terrible, they don’t know how to read box scores.

367. Andrew says:

If Hurdle would have let him get that final out it would have been good enough for the save last night.

368. Andrew says:

I call two out singles Larry Walkers.

ESPNDeportes.com has reported that Wandy has undergone season ending knee surgery but plans to return next year.

Konichiwa, Wandy.

371. Baywatch says:

Well … I’d like to blame it all on Morton, Mercer & Grilli … but the fact of the matter is, for WHATEVER reason life has to offer, you simply can’t win ‘em all! Nobody, no team is perfect. Price pitched better, and Charlie STILL came off with a quality start. I’m proud of the way he recovered after the first couple innings.

you also can’t win if you’re not scoring…

373. KING says:

It’s getting tiring listening to Hurdle & Pirates announcers defending Grilli. They say it’s only 1 or 2 pitches here or a hanging slider there…The Pirates made no hesitation giving Wandy his walking papers even though the Orioles were one of the best hitting teams in baseball. A start before Wandy limited the Brew Crew to 2 runs.

Hope Marte concussion is not the severe kind. He’s getting these freak Jose Silva type injuries.

Really can’t complain. With the 2nd wild card, Pirates 39-39 in the hunt. Could use a slump by the Brewers & SF Giants. I think Dodgers will pass the Giants too much talent.

Pirates All Stars Cutch & Watson. Who do you think Bucs All Stars will be? KING

374. JohnS says:

If Grilli was still closing the Bucs only lose 2-1 today. So there is that to think about.

I have seen so many plays this year that have been ruled hits that should have been made. Also some guys are getting errors on plays the 1B need to make. As was said earlier the 1B has to help the fielders out once in a while by digging balls or coming off the bag and making a tag play. This team is so average/below average in the field it will be tough to go on an extended run.

I’m pretty sure the Pirates announced that Marte does not have a concussion, King. He just banged up a finger on the play, but nothing serious. So, hopefully, he’s back tomorrow or the next day.

Cutch & Watson would be good choices for the AS Team. I thought Walker was headed for it before his injury as well. He could still make it.

Yes, to all 3.

377. KING says:

I think the Rangers will be sure sellers. Ravaged by injuries. 4th in AL West. Adrian Beltre interests me as a possible rental. He plays 3B & could give Pedro days off when tough lefties on the mound. He has 2500 career hits & has been a strong hitter for years. Probably cost Pirates 6 mill.

The Bucco fan mentioned Huston Street. I agree…A bullpen of Street,Melancon,Wilson,& Watson would be rock solid & damn tough.

Cardinals,Brewers,Reds all in the mix as well in NL Central. The final 85 games or so should be great chess, theatre, & baseball. KING

Really is a great lesson in baseball reality.

Defense can fluctuate just as much as offense. These same guys weren’t nearly this sloppy last year.

379. Maz In Iowa says:

Damned if I can see how the Rays lost 10 straight earlier this season….Price had to have pitched twice in that stretch.He was lights out today.smh

380. Lonely Libertarian says:

Wait,

I thought other than Pedro the Bucs were great on defense – didn’t he singlehandedly cause Cutch to drop a catchable ball today and Jordy boot one – and I am sure I saw him shine a laser light in Gaby’s eyes on that muffed play….

Wonder who we are going to blame all of the problems of the team [heck, I here he is the reason we are still in Afghanistan and still can't find that lost plane ;-) ] once he is playing in the AL and hitting 40 home runs a year….

Timmy Lincecum with a no-hitter through 7 against the Padres. If you have XM Radio or paid for the MLB service, you might want to turn it on. Giants have great radio men.

This is why the Giants gave Timmy the big contract. Much to the teeth gnashing of many. No, he is not the same guy he was, but the fans love him and he will always be associated as a Giant. Loyalty isn’t such a bad thing, sometimes, especially when the guy you extended is on the verge of his second no-no.

Thanks for the heads-up JohninOsh

I’m at work late and listening on my phone

383. Maz In Iowa says:

Josh Harrison is 5’8″ and that’s a stretch.If Pedro is air mailing throws to Ike Davis at 6’4″ how would Harrison fare with less height and shorter arms?

You are very lonely in that view. You and your doppelgänger.

385. pattonbb says:

The Freak was filthy. Always liked watching him pitch.

He did it!

The great Duane Kuiper: “What a performance…by that kid.”

One of my favorite players of all time, Tim Lincecum. Gives hope to skinny kids all over!

And, here is Amy G!

388. pattonbb says:

I don’t think he liked the gatorade

389. Baywatch says:

The moral of this story: I could no-hit the Padres … with Milo’s arm! LOL!

My arm is lunchmeat.

Awesome job by Amy G. getting out of the way.

392. Baywatch says:

LOL! I like the non-Dr. Andrews analysis/terminology much better!

Then MLBN goes from the sublime of Kuiper and Krukow to the profane of Dan McLaughlin and Al Hrabosky.

Dan McLaughlin sounds like a disinterested Joe Buck. A disinterested Joe Buck, now that’s redundant.

395. Maz In Iowa says:

Wow not a word about format.Just like Disney World.Happiest place in the world!Thanks Dejan!

396. dennis g says:

As much as it annoys me to listen to someone “shtruggle with shtrikes” as Wehner does, I have become convinced that he has a positive impact on the announcing team and adds a great deal to the telecast. I have come to appreciate him more than Walk, whose “old school” preferences have become a little stale.

397. dennis g says:

I could live with it but Hurdle would not tolerate that in a million years, regardless of the stats.

398. dennis g says:

Who are they going to sweep?

399. dennis g says:

Have you seen the movie “White Men Can’t Jump?”

400. dennis g says:

Good afternoon? Do you mean “sayonara?”

401. dennis g says: