Latrobe’s Sean Graytok
WPIAL awards Latrobe top seed in ‘wide open’ Class AAAA boys bracket, by Chris Harlan.
Latrobe’s Austin Butler (center) and his teammates celebrate a victory over Penn-Trafford
Latrobe boys, Norwin girls earn top seeds for WPIAL playoffs, by Paul Schofield.
Gorman: Aliquippa boys, Norwin girls a pair perfect for playoffs
Crowd applauds as Leechburg school board allows basketball team to participate in playoffs
Leechburg basketball team to participate in playoffs, by Brian C. Rittmeyer.
Leechburg coach Damian Davies
Leechburg boys put focus on Monessen with hazing allegations swirling, by Bill Beckner Jr.
Burrell girls awarded third straight No. 2 seed, by Doug Gulasy.
GEORGE GUIDO’S TOP 10 (AND THEN SOME)
Schools with the most WPIAL basketball playoff appearances:
1. Uniontown 66 1925-2015
2. Monessen 60 1919-2016
3. Washington 59 1931-2016
4. Aliquippa 56 1929-2016
5. Ford City 49 1921-2015
6. Mt. Lebanon 47 1932-2016
7. Beaver Falls 45 1917-2016
7. Duquesne 45 1922-2007
9. McKeesport 44 1920-2015
10. Penn Hills 43 1955-2016
1. Avonworth 41 1973-2016
1. CW North Catholic 41 1976-2016
3. Greensburg Cent. Cath. 35 1981-2016
3. Mt. Lebanon 35 1974-2016
5. Washington 34 1978-2016
6. Serra Catholic 33 1980-2016
7. Elizabeth-Forward 32 1974-2015
7. Hempfield 32 1980-2016
7. Mars 32 1975-2016
7. Mt. Alvernia 32 1975-2010
(Prior to 1978, there was a tiebreaker game or games to decide section titles. These tiebreaker games were actually part of the brackets. You knew who you’d play once that playoff game took place, much like a preliminary round does now).
WPIAL basketball playoff notes:
* Wilkinsburg is in the playoffs for the 38th and final time, as the school will close this spring.
* Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic girls have made the playoffs 41 straight seasons, or each year the school has been a WPIAL member.
* Monessen has made the boys playoffs each of the past 35 season, a WPIAL boys record.
* Greensburg central Catholic girls have made the playoffs 35 of the last 36 seasons, missing in 2000. The boys also missed the 2000 postseason, but, like the girls, have qualified all 16 seasons since.
* Aliquippa’s boys have made the playoffs 36 of the last 37 seasons, missing in ’96.
* Avonworth’s girls have made the playoffs each of the last 25 seasons.
* Even though McGuffey High School has been around since 1960, the boys program has made the playoffs just twice, in 2002 and ’12.
X MARKS THE SPOT
Woodland Hills rifle team
Woodland Hills claims third straight rifle title, by Andrew Erickson.
ON THE MAT
Belle Vernon looks to maintain run of PIAA success for WPIAL Class AAA teams, by Paul Schofield.
Burrell’s Alex Bellinotti holds down Freedom’s Randy Simmons during their 195-pound bout in the WPIAL Class AA wrestling championship
Burrell, Kiski Area prepare for tougher challenges in Hershey, by Doug Gulasy.
Burrell’s Damon Greenwald
#TribHS notebook: Burrell’s Greenwald carries on family’s golden tradition, by Doug Gulasy.