The Panthers returned to two-a-days this morning, wearing full pads for the morning session in the final week of training camp. The depth chart is shaping up and, for the most part, the position battles are for backup jobs.
That said, the morning session was relatively uneventful.
So I’ll start with the two-deep.
The first-team offense consisted of Jason Pinkston at left tackle, C.J. Davis at left guard, Robb Houser at center, John Malecki at right guard and Joe Thomas at right tackle, with Nate Byham at tight end, Derek Kinder at flanker, Oderick Turner at split end, Bill Stull at quarterback, Conredge Collins at fullback and LeSean McCoy at tailback.
The first-team defense was missing right end Greg Romeus, but had Jabaal Sheard at left end, Mick Williams at defensive tackle, Rashaad Duncan at nose tackle, with Scott McKillop at middle linebacker and flanked by Adam Gunn on the strong side and Shane Murray on the weak side, Aaron Berry at field corner and Jovani Chappel on the boundary side and safeties Dom DeCicco and Eric Thatcher.
The second-team offense saw Greg Gaskins at left tackle, Dom Williams at left guard, Alex Karabin at center, Chris Jacobson at right guard and Lucas Nix at right tackle, with Dorin Dickerson at tight end, Jonathan Baldwin at split end, Cedric McGee at flanker, Pat Bostick and Kevan Smith sharing quarterback duties and LaRod Stephens-Howling at tailback. Chris Bova replaced Henry Hynoski (ankle) when Pitt used a fullback.
The second-team defense had Ty Tkach at left end, Gus Mustakas at defensive tackle, Tommie Duhart at nose tackle, Tony Tucker at right end, with Max Gruder at middle linebacker, Brandon Lindsey and Greg Williams on the strong side, Tristan Roberts and Nate Nix on the weak side, Ricky Gary at one corner with Jarred Holley and Antwuan Reed splitting reps on the other side and Elijah Fields and Andrew Taglianetti at safety.
Formations with a slot receiver saw Aundre Wright run with the first team and Aaron Smith with the second team. T.J. Porter did not practice.
With Romeus out, Tucker and Alecxih split first-team reps at right end.
* Baldwin didn’t make any circus catches, but he did reach back to tip to himself a Kevan Smith pass thrown behind him.
* McKillop recognized one formation and called for his teammates to watch for the toss to McCoy. Sure enough, McCoy took a pitch right and was swarmed by blue jerseys.
* On a screen pass to LaRod Stephens-Howling, Davis sprinted ahead as the lead blocker and cleared a path by knocking Chappel out of the way.
* Freshman quarterback Tino Sunseri, running with the third-team offense, rolled right on a play-action fake and completed a 30-yard pass to freshman receiver Mike Shanahan near the right sideline with safety Irv Brown in coverage.
* The Panthers practice again from 3-5:30 p.m.