The Steel Mill

Short Ben Q&A

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Ben Roethlisberger talked to reporters after practice about the regular-season opener in Baltimore. The Steelers quarterback was pretty vanilla and that may have been by design since any comments that can be construed as inflammatory this week will be magnified if not blown out of proportion.
Here are a couple of questions Roethlisberger answered during a four-minute interview:

Q: It seems like both offenses have gotten better over the last couple of years but when the Steelers and Ravens play, more often than not, it seems to be a low-scoring game. Why is that?
A: “I think you do get caught up a little bit in being too conservative and not turning the ball over. I think at some point you’ve got to flip that around and say well let’s just try to go score points on offense. We’ll see as we get closer what approach we’re going to take.”

Q: Do you prefer to have this game later in the season or do you like getting the Ravens out of the gate?
A: “As long as everybody stays healthy that’s always a key when you play these guys it’s a physical game. You want to be the best you’ve got to beat the best and we consider them one of the best. You get a divisional game right from the get-go and both teams are in the same boat. It’s a first game for both teams and we’re here and we’ll be ready to play.”

Q: Is there a different feel in the locker room and to practice this week because it’s the Ravens?
A: “Yeah, it’s a divisional game and anytime we played divisional opponents it means a little more for all of us. But it’s a first game of the year, doesn’t matter who you are playing we’re going to get up and get excited for it.”

Q: What does it mean to have the support to get voted a captain?
A: “It means a lot to be a captain of this team with all of the past captains and great players that have played here on this team.”

– Scott Brown

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Comments

1. eyeheartbrucearians says:

Ravens just signed Andre Gurode. Big move, but I doubt he’ll play much, if at all, Sunday. It shows that the Ravens know that their window of opportunity is now and that they have to beat the Steelers. Having said that… Not enough fire power on offense or defense to match the Steelers. I think that the Steelers handle them but good this Sunday, and send a message to the league. The only thing I see slowing them down, on Sunday, is the Steelers’ defense being on Dean Wormer-Goodell’s double secret probation since last semester. Blatantly anti-Steelers flags (or no-calls on roughing Ben) like we’ve seen lately could just ruin this game.

2. Pedro says:

I think the Ravens are done, ran out of mojo

3. Jopa-n says:

Gonna be the usual: lot of (blood) and (guts) to eventually get the (glory). whomever gives up less of the first, and shows more of the second, will get the third.

4. Paulie Raspa says:

Steelers -Ravens right from the start!!! Is there a Better way to start the Season…???? We need to establish Steelers Tempo early in this game and FINISH in 4th Quarter… Running Game should have 140 yds 2 td’s and Ben should throw 2 td’s and for 240 yds+ …. D- HAS 5 SACKS,2 T/OVERS AND LET’S UP 13 POINTS… STEELERS 31 -13 (SUISHAM MAKES 28 YD FG)…… I CAN’T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Mike says:

Lets just go beat there A$$, BADLY ! Its the next step in the stairway to seven !

6. Scott P says:

This is what football is all about.

7. David says:

Fellas, the game still has to be played. The win will come if we do the little things. False starts and off sides and even an illegal hit could hinder that. I see way too much moxy to start the season.

8. Ryan(Nor-Cal Stlrfanrc) says:

How is this NOT national televised? Best matchup of the weekend and the Sunday night game is Dallas/Jets?

Poor television planning by the NFL.

9. Steelers7thHeaven says:

Directv has it on for free on the NFL package,if you have directv. I cant wait, I hope we can go back and win the one the eluded us last year, I saw the replay of that Superbowl on 9/5, and we had a lot of chances to take that game away from Greenbay, I hope the defense can last 16 games, they are getting a little older, and with age seems to come injuries. I’d love to see Ward get his 46 catches (or whatever they were) to break the record and become 8th on the list. Still waiting for that stairway to 7, hope it comes this year!! Go Steelers, lets make this a great, & memorable season!! What better way then stomping on them punk @ss ravens as the 1st game of the season!!

10. eyeheartbrucearians says:

Great DK article “No reason why the Steelers shouldn’t win.”
    Check it out on the Trib homepage.
    Again, the only thing that I am worried about is the penalty calls against the Steelers defense and the non-calls on the Ravens roughing up Ben. For some reason (?) refs allow Ben to get mauled, and the Baltimore Birds have gotten away with much mauling.

11. David says:

…. we all know the conspiracy theory, Goodell, Harbaugh, and the rest of the NFL paid off the officials to not make any calls against the Ravens defense. Period….

12. David says:

Trust me. Harbaugh is in for a rough season, its the NFL laws of physics, this is his 4 season, I said this earlier, the Browns will finish 2 in this division, the Steelers will finish 1st, ….

13. Paulie Raspa says:

Hey Dejan Kovacevic –

Great Artricle —- Just wondering did you read my BLOG here yesterday — we picked the same score — Mine was a bit more detailed on how we get the VICTORY..
    On another note, I believe the RAVENS are in a transition period… HEAP was MILLER only he catches more passes & blocked less, but in my opinion he was excellent –Why would you let him go???I wanted the Steelers to take a look at Signing Heap as he is a tremendous improvement over Spaeth but with Johnson and now Saunders we are good & young at that position… MASON WAS OLD and still descent and their O-LINE should have many problems this year… Speaking of Old, the Ravens D is looking old… Just look at the 2nd half against the Steelers in the Playoffs–They looked Old Tired and Worn Down!! Ray Lewis –yell all you want before the game because by the end of the game you will be a beaten MAN & SORRY TEAM!!!

14. David says:

I can’t believe ESPN is already talking playoff predictions. It’s like advertising Christmas in August! Did I miss half the season already, are the Steelers 8-0 yet,…. Lol.

15. Scott P says:

Roger Goodell is a chooch. His ability to officiate, and influence the outcome of a game from his ivory tower in N.Y., is a sincere concern.

16. eyeheartbrucearians says:

Steelers 27, Birds 1*

*Goodell arbitrarily decrees a “No Steelers Shutout Rule” and awards the birds a point.

17. joel says:

Scott, at one time I knew what a chooch was. I think it was a monkey but not sure. Big Ben vs Flacco nolo condendra!!!

18. Scott P says:

Joel,
    Did you see the movie “Old School”? The Dean in that movie is a perfect example of a Chooch. Roger Goodell fits the description pretty well.