The Steel Mill

Twitter Wars: Clark v. Rice

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Steelers safety Ryan Clark and Baltimore running back Ray Rice engaged in a highly publicized Twitter battle during the offseason when Rice made a post about Hines Ward’s DUI arrest.

The back-and-forth banter ended when Clark tweeted that he will make sure to find Rice Week 1 of the season.

Two months later and Clark isn’t worried about finding Rice on Sunday, however, he hasn’t forgotten what was said.

“It’s just life,” Clark said. “It’s over. Sometimes people disagree. Now we just have the Internet to disagree over. I don’t dislike him. I think that is what people try to build up about this. You are not going to get that quote from me that I don’t like him because I don’t know him.”

Clark did say that it was disheartening to read what Rice tweeted about a fellow player like Ward even if he plays for a rival team like the Steelers.

“I feel like we are all brothers in the NFL and are in the same fight,” Clark said. “Especially at the time of the lockout, we were all in the same fight. It was disheartening to see that we weren’t all together on that front. Other than that, it wasn’t a big deal. It is not going to make him run any better or make me play any better Sunday.”

The back-and-forth exchanges started when Rice posted on his Twitter account: “Well it looks like Hines Ward will miss week 1 when the lockout ends DUI charge not a good look.”

Clark responded: “So glad you could Weigh in. Thx,” which drew a reaction from Rice of: “it’s whatever u wanna do bro you know how to find me.”
Clark assured Rice that he will indeed find him in Week 1.

“I hear ya brother.Thought we were all better than that. Wouldnt speak negative of you. I’ll find you!It’s not hard. God bless.”
Later in the day, Clark made a general post that read: “Life is good! More and more reasons to be excited about football! Week 1 just got even better!It’s my fault for respecting those I shouldn’t.”

Clark defended his tweets this week.

“Nothing was said,” Clark said. “If you look at it, he made a comment about a teammate that I felt like didn’t have to be made. It was just thanks for your input. His reply said something different and mine was very tasteful and classy and I said, you’re right, I’ll be there. I thought we were better than them and that’s all I was saying.”

Clark does respect Rice’s play on the field.

“I think he is an extremely good player,” Clark said. “He is definitely one of the best backs in the AFC. He can catch and run the ball. He is their guy. It starts and ends with him.”
–By Mark Kaboly

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Author: Mark Kaboly

Mark Kaboly covers the Pittburgh Steelers for the Tribune-Review. Mark has covered more than 250 NFL football games in all 32 NFL cities as well as three Super Bowls -- XL in Detroit, XLIII in Tampa and XLV in Dallas. A Belle Vernon Area graduate, Mark earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in English with a specialization in journalism from California University of Pennsylvania. Mark lives in Port Vue with his wife, Jennifer, and boys Rocco and Bugsley Pug

Comments

1. David says:

Twitter to Rice. Hey thought we were better than that, we are. We are gonna lay waste to more bird poop this Sunday. Gotcha popcorn ready….

2. David says:

Steelers don’t need anymore motivation to win this game as they do the next 15. We are playing for 7 as #7 as our quarterback 6-2 with a 3-0 in playoffs…. Goes to show. Steel is mightier than the feather….

3. eyeheartbrucearians says:

Should Rice even get past the Steelers defensive front three and venture, timidly, into the secondary Clark will be all over him like…well, Clark on Rice

4. Paulie Raspa says:

A few things — Twitter should be banned from the NFL period!! More Importantly—
    Steelers O — 30+ RUSHES –140+YDS–2 TD’S
    BEN –21-30–210 YDS 2 TD’S —
    PLEASE KICK THE BALL OUT OF THE END ZONE!!!!
    Our D will not let up more than 13 points!!!
    I do not bet nor am I INTO FANTASY but I do see 2 “different ” teams… I see an O line in BALTIMORE with more questions than ours…. I see a Defense with major questions at CB,a former 7th rd pick of Tennessee & a new 1st rd pick… Hmm — I have said in a past Blog the Ravens are in a Transition phase, but obviously this is a huge game because both teams hate each other..there will be some heads rattled !!! But, in the end, if you look at both QB’S how can you not think that Ben would not LIGHT these guys up!! Our Receiving corps is top 5 in the league, our running game should be top 5 and our D is top 3 !!! It adds up to a 31-13 game!!!

5. Bsteel says:

Should Rice dare venture into the Steelers’ secondary, Clark will be all over him like…
    Clark on Rice.

6. Dick says:

The Ravens are a good team, but if Rice, Lewis, etal think they are better than the Steelers they are just whistling past the grave yard. They better be hoping for a wild card. I see the Steelers taking them down 24-13.

7. Gabriel NJ says:

Good Morning STEELER NATION!!!!! Question, I am going to my first Steeler game on 09.11.11(God Bless America). Will it be OK to wear my Steeler Gear to the game? ###Not scared, just want to enjoy the game.###

8. David says:

well, Aaron Rodgers is a flake, not to be disrespectful, but I am, he has won a superbowl, and the best thing he can do is go out of his way to talk bad about another quarterback who is in this months GQ, well Aaron, hears to a miserable losing 2011 season, and a fast trip home with no playoffs to defend the Lombardi trophy, Mr. Lombardi would be very disappointed in your flagrant display towards an NFL constituent of yours, another qb in the NFL… your non- professional approach towards another mans right to earn a few more bucks in a bigger market then yours just shows how jealous u r, even after winning the superbowl… you disgust me as a player and a professional,,, Grow Up,

9. Bsteel says:

You eat sh-t for breakfast? Pffff!
    I just chomped a Primanti’s.
    Bring it on.

10. Bsteel says:

OK, rayray. we get it.

11. David says:

my pick for this game is this, and it has nothing to do with the FACT that im a STEELERS fan thru n thru….
    Steelers 38 Ravens 10……….. we just have to much offense right now, those 5 recievers should scare any team into intimidation…. can you believe that, our offense, not defense can intimidate the opposing defense…..you got that first from me,,, someone on tv said the same thing that this offense has the personel to produce a good 5,000 yeard season…

12. steelguin says:

i didnt see Ray calling out his O-Line coach for his 3rd DUI, hypocrite

13. Bsteel says:

God Bless America.

14. David says:

Remembering those who lost thief lives so suddenly without warning or orovacation. Throughout history, you will never be forgotten.

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle