The Steel Mill

Harrison won’t apologize to Cushing

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Don’t look for James Harrison to seek out Brian Cushing anytime during Sunday’s game and explain his comments in a July article of Men’s Journal Magazine where he said that the Texans’ linebacker “is juiced out of his mind.”

According to Harrison, it’s not going to happen.

“I don’t need to,” Harrison said after practice on Wednesday.

Harrison ripped teammates Ben Roethlisberger and Rashard Mendenhall along with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and others in the controversial article.
Harrison since apologized to Roethlisberger, Mendenhall and Goodell, but apparently won’t do the same with Cushing when the Steelers and Texans meet at Reliant Stadium on Sunday.

“It’s not on my mind,” Harrison said.

Cushing was suspended last year for the first four games for violating the league’s substance abuse policy. He tested positive for a substance that can be used to mask steroid use.

Cushing later responded to Harrison’s comments by only saying “I’ll pray for him.”

– By Mark Kaboly

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Author: Mark Kaboly

Mark Kaboly covers the Pittburgh Steelers for the Tribune-Review. Mark has covered more than 250 NFL football games in all 32 NFL cities as well as three Super Bowls -- XL in Detroit, XLIII in Tampa and XLV in Dallas. A Belle Vernon Area graduate, Mark earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in English with a specialization in journalism from California University of Pennsylvania. Mark lives in Port Vue with his wife, Jennifer, and boys Rocco and Bugsley Pug

Comments

1. Dick says:

James Harrison is a true professional. He doesn’t say alot but lets his play speak for him. I wish we had more like him. I will always believe the league did him wrong last year no matrer what anyone says. Am I to disbelieve my own eyes? And it looks like the beat goes on as the fines keep coming. It makes you wonder if these league guys ever played football. I still can’t see a horse collar tackle being more dangerous than a
    blatant face mask tackle yet the league thinks so. Give me a Break! (and give the Steelers a break while you’re at it.)

2. Phil says:

I agree 1000% with Dick. Love him or hate him, James Harrison is a terrific player and works extremely hard at his craft. He is a true “Steeler” player and I think he earns every last cent he gets from the Rooneys.

It is so true the NFL wronged Harrison and Roethlisberger as well. Ben was NEVER charged for with a crime but yet he had to sit out 4 games. Goodell does NOT WANT the Steelers to win another SB. Why else would he make that stupid staement last year ONE WEEK before the Super Bowl claiming NO NFL player came to Ben’s defense. I will tell you why, BECAUSE GOODELL KNEW IT WOULD SCREW THE MIND OF BEN BEFORE THE BIGGEST GAME OF HIS CAREER. AND MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! BEN DID NOT PLAY SO WELL AND GOODELL DOESN’T HAVE TO HAND SB TROPHY TO ROONEYS AND DEAL WITH HARRISON WRATH. Goodell is an evel dictator who ONLY cares about money and power. Just like every man and women in Congress. I would almost bet Goodell will run for Congress later in life. He will fit in great with all of the other greedy SOB’s…..

3. David says:

i myself don’t even see why he should apologize for saying how he felt, eveyone individually can point fingers whether at themselves, or a team mate, tho Harrison was right on with Govenor Goodell, except maybe for the gay slur, cause we don’t know that positively to be accurate, but as far as the fines, Goodell is only show casing the Steelers, across the board, the percentages just don’t add up, but why apologize, if being honest is a crime then throw us all a fine, or behind bars, sometimes criticism is needed, it’s up to the individual its said about to either cry about it, or look at it and grow from it, maybe a fumble or interception less would have worked in our favor in the Superbowl, it’s not like we were being blown out, we were more destructive to ourselves then the Packers were……. plus I hate apologies….it doesn’t take anything said back, so does it really matter!…

4. John Brody says:

Can Joe Starkey write more on this site? He’s the best columnist you have by far.

5. Ben says:

Mark,
    Cushing wasn’t positive for a masking agent. He was positive for HCG, or human chorionic gonadotropin, which unless you’re a pregnant woman is not released naturally in your body. It’s used by guys who are coming off of steroid cycles to kick start their endocrine systems in order to keep as much of the gains they just made as possible. It has nothing to do with “balancing” out your hormones as has been written by many. In theory, it’s supposed to jump start your pituitary gland after it shuts down while being fed exogenous hormones during a cycle.

That’s pretty much in a nut shell why people took him to task on that. The only guys that take that stuff are juicers.

6. Dennis Moore says:

in this politicaly correct world we live in god for bid you say something that may hurt
    somebodys feelings.the guy was suspended for steroid us so own it and move on.i don’t agree with what reshard said about 911 but he has every right to his opinion.thats why we have freedom of speech.

7. Paul Raspa says:

Why when we say what’s on our mind it’s WRONG!!!?? Harrison feels the way he feels and sees things the way allot of us see things! When you see a huge guy or female on the beach — your gonna tell me that thoughts like” WOW –THEIR FAKE!!! & HE’S TOO BIG HE IS ON SOMETHING!! …Who cares?? The guy ripped his own teammates because that is how he felt…. One question I do have for him is this…. Has he RIPPED or why hasn’t he ripped William Gay a couple of times????? They are all big boys– they need to get over it and move on ….

8. David says:

I’m not a politically correct kinda guy, that word didn’t exist when I was growing up so in my 4o’s I’m not about to baby sit peoples feelings. It is, what it is .

9. Luis says:

I think Brian Cushing knows if Harrison is right or wrong.