The Steel Mill

B-Mac as a wide receiver?

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Bryant McFadden’s cranky hamstring has kept him from really testing it during a typical practice setting, so the Steelers’ cornerback decided there was only one way to really push the limit – by playing offense.

McFadden lined up as a scout team receiver during practice this week not as a possible position switch, but to get a better sense of how his hamstring is coming along.

“I would do a little defense then go in and try to run some routes and try to let it loose,” McFadden said. “I am trying to get a closer assessment of where I am because it is kind of hard to simulate practice with a real live game.”

McFadden actually caught a couple nice passes while testing out his hamstring.
“It was my idea,” McFadden said. “I haven’t done it in a while but I knew it was an opportunity to run a lot while breaking and stopping. That is something that I may try to continue to do.”

McFadden has been nursing a hamstring pull since the first week of training camp. He was able to return for the opener, but has been out ever since.

McFadden plans on being 100 percent before coming back this time, and he said he is very close to reaching that number.

“I would do things and the next day it would be real sore,” McFadden said. “Today I am not as sore, which is very positive for me. I don’t feel as sore as I do the past few weeks.”

McFadden has yet to show up on the injury report this week, but he won’t play against the Texans on Sunday.

“I think it may be smarter on my end if I probably didn’t not knowing how healthy I am,” McFadden said. “In the Baltimore game, I didn’t get a chance to participate all preseason then played 50-some snaps against Baltimore and tweaking it again.”

William Gay has replaced McFadden on the right side and will continue to do so. When the Steelers play five defensive backs, Gay goes back to the nickel and Keenan Lewis enters the game at corner.

However, McFadden will regain his starting position once deemed 100 percent healthy.

“Unless you heard something that I didn’t,” said McFadden when asked if is still the starter when he returns.

“He is healing and once he gets back, that’s his job,” Gay said. “You don’t lose your job to injuries.”
 By Mark Kaboly

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Author: Mark Kaboly

Mark Kaboly covers the Pittburgh Steelers for the Tribune-Review. Mark has covered more than 250 NFL football games in all 32 NFL cities as well as three Super Bowls -- XL in Detroit, XLIII in Tampa and XLV in Dallas. A Belle Vernon Area graduate, Mark earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in English with a specialization in journalism from California University of Pennsylvania. Mark lives in Port Vue with his wife, Jennifer, and boys Rocco and Bugsley Pug

Comments

1. Ed says:

Seriously, the media is treating McFadden like he is some superhero DB that will save the Steelers when he returns from injury (and has he even been healthy in years!?!?!).

Please stop. Lots of guys are hurt… and most are way better than him. So sick of reading about McFadden and his injuries. His time is up. The Steelers let him go years ago and should have let him stay away. Play Lewis or Brown instead.

And to Mr. Gay.. you -can- lose your job injury, Especially when you are not that good to begin with. McFadden has not done anything to warrant getting his job back other than the fact you are a terrible starting Corner. Ok in the Nickel, but that is it.

McFadden is not saviour. He is a scrub who is alwways hurting. Even at ’100%’ he is not worthy of being a starting Corner.

2. GC says:

The Steelers played Seattle and the Colts, so I am not sold yet about the pass defense. There are a couple of teams they play and we will see what happens.

3. K2 says:

As I mentioned after the Seattle game, Thier receivers were running wide open, only pure throws and bad route running prevented the stops…. Not our DB’s.

Also, McFaaden and Gay need a reality check???? Especially Gay, he made one play against the Colts (celebrated mightly) and then got burned the rest of the game(?). …Both are third rate DB’s/nickel guys.

Play the rookies and look toward the future….

Lets hope we put a complete game together in Houston!

4. David says:

Can’t believe all the hate going on here, this basically the same defense and offense that went to the Superbowl last season, which is basically the same team that got squashed by the Ravens in week 1, and the same team that shut out in Seatle, yes Seatle, and you can say srstle is not a good team and that we should have beaten them, well we did so what’s the complaining about. I know way back in the day before the million dollar contracts no. A player didn’t lose his job to an injury they healed and came back as the starter, you think back in the bradshaw era they were grooming an just to his position, heck knoll sat Terry several times before he was the full time starter and it wasn’t because of injury that he sat him Guillam came in and went 6-0 in place of Bradshaw but bradshaw didn’t lose his job due to injury. The point I’m making here is Gay is speaking with respect to a team mate who he knows was brought in to start, when the Steelers brought Bmac back everyone on here was throwing out the welcome mat. He hasn’t played much and it seems he’s being thrown under the bus . Pitiful. Every player in the NFL will tell you that you don’t lose your job to injury, and that’s amongst all NFL players. Like a code. But they do what they asked regardless.

5. Rick says:

Interesting article to fill the void, describing how Bmac is testing his hamstring.
    Was there this much vitriol when Ward was using his hyperbaric chamber to heal, or Troy doing what he did.
    Sounds like the Steelers fans are more divided than the team is.
    And I would really be worried if the team were divided.
    There is no need to bring Bmac in unless he is physically ready. Same for any player, no matter who.
    I am more concerned with Lewis’s noticeably subpar play against the Colts, and our general lack of aggressiveness (coach’s call, or players not up to total physical performance levels) on dee.
    The offense is more of an issue than our defense. Forget the Ravens game – they were prepping and scheming all off season and paid the price the next game. We were beat all over in that one.

6. David says:

Goodell. Farriors hit was legal.
    Did not lead with his helmet.
    Did not launch into the qb.
    Was no penalty… I repeat, was no yellow flag thrown. I know u will never get tir ed of taking money from the steelers buy at least follow your own criterias of what is a fine

7. Rick says:

BMac as a wideout? We have enough high quality wideouts, fortunately.

We need to get some of the younger guys on the field on the defensive line and at defensive back.

We need to take a good, hard look at people like Keenan Lewis, Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown. I don’t know why we cut DB Donovan Warren. We need to see more of Ziggy Hood and Cam Heyward. Aaron Smith is looking old and slow. There is no doubt in my mind that Aaron is retiring at the end of this season.

We also need to see exactly what we have in the way of offensive linemen. If the current group is not getting the job done protecting Ben or opening holes for our runnings backs, we need to open up the competition to people like Chris Scott and possibly even be open to looking for a sold veteran or two cut from other teams. Look at the value the Ravens are getting from McKinnie.

8. Pete says:

Steelers fans really are a fickle bunch with short memories. Forget that Bmac was part of 2 Super Bowl wins with Pittsburgh. That Bmac contributed to the 2005 SB win in his rookie year. That Bmac was part of the #1 NFL passing defense in 2008. Anyone who watches the game can see he’s good when he is healthy but like anyone is a liability when he is playing injured. If McFadden is so bad, just try remembering what it was like before he was drafted and why the Steelers drafted a CB in the 2nd round in 2005.

9. Dick says:

I think it is a good idea for B-Mac to test his hamstring as a WR. We certainly don’t want him out there less than 100%. We need to get Brown as much experience as we can this season with the view to starting next year. I do believe it’s time to start replacing parts. The older parts are breaking down more easily. I see Hood as a starter next year followed shortly thereafter (a year) by Heyward. We should be looking to draft a good nose tackle. Time is moving on. Dixon is not happy with his position and appears to be inclined toward free agency so QB is another position of need. The time is right to groom a prospective young QB for the starting job as this is the most critical position on the team. In no way is this meant to demean Big Ben. He is one of the best in the business. WR and running backs look pretty solid right now. The O-Line remains a work in progress and it’s time to solidfy it. If we could get better protection for Ben I believe we could outscore most teams. The shift in this league is now to the offense. We should be able to find some “road graders” for the
    O-Line in the latter rounds of the draft or even as free agents. Most of all I’d like to see them find prospects who play with attitude and can inject this in their team mates. I just don’t see the fire in their eyes anymore. (Jack Lambert where are you when we need you!)

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle | Flow Back