The Steel Mill

Clark lashes out after fine

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

If Ryan Clark has arrived at a crossroads, as he strongly hinted today, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell isn’t going to like it.
Furious over a $40,000 fine he received for a hit on Ravens tight end Ed Dickso, Clark said he may as well lead with his helmet if he’s going to get punished for it — or hit opposing receivers much lower.
“Do you just put people to sleep because you’re going to get fined anyway or do you blow (out) that ACL?” Clark said. “One of the two.”
Clark said Mike Tomlin informed him of the fine Tuesday morning. A day earlier, Clark said, Tomlin had used his hit on Dickson as a textbook example of how to legally dislodge the ball from a receiver.
The fine that set Clark off –- only James Harrison has incurred a larger one since the NFL’s crackdown on helmet to helmet hits — also had the outspoken free safety sounding a much different tone than he had a week earlier.
After getting fined $15,000 for hitting a Patriots player out of bounds, Clark had said he could see why the NFL had docked him. Clark wasn’t nearly as understanding after receiving his second fine in as many weeks.
“I totally agree with you if a guys out of bounds you shouldn’t hit him. I even applauded the NFL for trying to keep players safe,” Clark said. “But they’re going to get me hurt or fired.
“I’m all for player safety, so much so that I don’t want to hit people with my head. I try to get my head out of the way constantly and there’s reasons why I can’t lift my head up on Mondays, it’s because I’m using my shoulders.”
Clark plans to appeal the fine. One thing he won’t do is sit in the same room with Goodell unless they “handcuff me, which is probably the next step anyway.”
“There’s nothing Goodell could tell me…I’m not even going to call him Goodell. Nothing Roger could tell me, Ray Anderson,” Clark said. “De(Maurice) Smith can’t call me and tell me I’m wrong.”
Ben Roethlisberger echoed Clark’s sentiments and called on Smith, the NFLPA executive director, to “stand up and do something for our players.”
“If you slow it down and watch it it’s about as picture perfect of a tackle you can make,” Roethlisberger said of Clark’s hit. “His head was down right across the chest. The back of his helmet may have grazed the bottom of his face mask. Someone needs to stand up and do something like De Smith.”

– Scott Brown

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Comments

1. bdubb says:

Did Ray Lewis get a fine for his helmet to helmet on Hines?

2. ron cuglietta says:

The Pittsburgh Steelers are being targeted by that tyrant if a comissioner. Godell is riuning the sport. Message to team owners- Get rid of this guy

3. Scott P says:

Roger Goodell is a complete chooch. He is terrible for the game of football. Ray Anderson is just as bad. Somebody has to step up and do something. If the Steelers are lucky enough to have their playoff position locked up prior to the season finale, the entire defense should lay down on the first snap of the game as a protest to the treatment they have been given under Goodell.

Being the lawyer that he is, Goodell is trying to protect the NFL from lawsuits. He can show any judge or jury film of how the league went overboard trying to protect players. Ok, fine, I get that. At least try to be consistent with it.

4. Dave says:

The NFL is becoming such a joke these days! They have a name for the type of hit that Clarke delivered on Dickson, it’s called “Football”, something that God-ELL keeps watering down every year. Don’t get me wrong, I think player safety is good thing, but not at the expensive of the sport. I’m actually getting less and less interested in the NFL since God_ELL has been the commissioner. If you think about this play it potentially cost the Steelers the game because Ravens kick a field goal at the end of that drive. What exactly was Clarke supposed to do in that situation? let him catch the ball…establish himself as a runner, protect himself? If that’s the case, why not wait until he has caught the ball, run for 20 yards and then chase him into the endzone? That way he could avoid the fine!!!! RIDICULOUS!!! Break out the FLAGS please!

5. Mike S says:

Nobody saw the hit on Hines Ward by Ray Lewis, they even had a review to see if it was a catch..Helen Keller lives

6. Bill Z says:

What the hell is Goodell trying to do, fine himself out of a job? Or is he trying to bankrupt the city of Pittsburgh by fining it to death. This guy is clearly a joke. Something I don’t understand is why aren’t the owners reigning him in? After all, the teams belong to the owners, and if Goodell succedes in ruining football, they stand to loose the most. It’s becoming the NFL – National Flagfootball League because before you can cheer after a play, you have to count the number of flags on the field for someone pulling someones hair or stepping on their toe, and then hope it’s on the other team.

7. Carl says:

That’s what happens when you let a lawyer say what is or isn’t a good hit. The refs don’t even know, because if I remeber correctly, He was also penalized for the hit. Both the fine and the call are totally f-ing ridiculous. Call the rules, which prevent leading with the head and leaving your feet. Shouldn’t be that hard. If need be review it. They review frickkin’ everything else…

8. Bsteel says:

Does anyone know if there is any way that the NFL commissioner can be fired or dismissed–or is there a term limit to his holding the position–or is he commissioner for as long as he wants?

I would think that there has got to be some possible process by which an NFL commissioner can be terminated.

Do the owners have oversight on the commissioner? Can they act to dismiss him?

Anybody know?

I’ll ask DK in the chat tomorrow.

9. Doug Halfen says:

Meanwhile, Ray “The Killer” Lewis is fined HALF Clark’s amount for his absolute head-hunting strike on our beloved #86 — a move that was just _guaranteed_ to give Hines a concussion. Talk about Badhell & Co. playing favorites…

(As a football fan, I thought Ryan’s hit was just a darned good hit from a safety, the kind that’s made week in and week out by good safeties all over the league. The officiating in this game was especially uneven — it’s rarely good, but also rarely so sloppy. And we almost survived it! ;^)

The NFL needs a better commish — maybe the one from the Miller Lite ads is available? Can’t do much worse, that’s for certain!

10. Dave crowley says:

That is a bs fine by goodell. He is horrible and has something against the steelers. Lewis the criminal was definitley trying to take Hines out. Total bs! Steeler nation needs to send as many emails as we can to the idiot in charge!

11. Clarence says:

Goodell is sitting atop the NFL like some little over-compensating god. His fines and appeals all going through him is ridiculous. I think I have more to do tomorrow than watch the game tomorrow. Other than my Steelers and a few choice big games, I think I am one fan who will make his voice heard by my 1 little rating. In Goodell’s NFL, he has choked the game until its no longer the same. I for one, am tired of it.

Remember on the tv show Martin, when he became co-owner of the bar and made all of those dumb rules, the people left. When he gave up his stake, they returned. Until we, the fans, just get up and leave Goodell will continue to act like he’s the football god and I’m tired of being frustrated by him. I love this sport, but with the college game, my newly pregnant wife, and college basketball, I think I can find something else to do. Until Goodell is gone, my NFL intake will have to decrease. Maybe not with the Steelers, but surely with many of the rest of the games.

Goodell: I’m sick of the way you commish this game on so many levels. Please leave.

12. Steelers7thHeaven says:

Goodell is an idiot, guess we better start giving them flags to wear for flag football, where did this idiot come from…..guess you got to sleep to the top!!! Dumb @ss

13. David says:

i wonder if there is a dollar amount in fines on the Steelers vs. all other teams/players as consistent as it is on the Steelers……

14. BUNCIE says:

ONE THING WE CAN DO AS FANS. NEXT TIME YOU SEE GOODELL ON THE FIELD, JUMP THE WALL AND CUT HIS BALLS OFF.

15. Donna says:

Please Dan Rooney- you hired him now come back from Ireland and fire him. He’s ruining the game. Go Steelers!!

16. John V. says:

All I would like to know is was Ray Lewis fined for his hit on Heinz Ward?

17. Dennis Moore says:

The owners really need to get goodell under control.the league belongs to the owners and players.i believe in player saftey but the line between a good hit and a rough hit is to thin.does any body have the web site address to e mail this clown?

18. PAULIE RASPA says:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME —- 40,0000 FOR A HIT IN WHICH THE RECEIVER STAYED IN THE GAME?????????????????? THE GUY DIDN’T GET A CONCUSSION OR NOTHING? GOODELL YOU ARE A F===IN JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    RAY LEWIS HITS WARD IN THE HEAD ACROSS THE MIDDLE ESPECIALLY AFTER SUGGS (HIS FATHER IS A JAILED TERRORIST) BEGS HIM TO PLAY!!!!! NO BOUNTY THERE –RIGHT GOODELL!!!
    LAST YEAR NGATA BREAKS BENS’ FACE AND WHAT WAS THAT A 10K FINE!!!!!
    THE LEAGUE IS BECOMING A JOKE!!!!!!!
    I AM SURE THE NFL NETWORK,ESPN & YOUTUBE HAVE MADE A FORTUNE ON MAJOR HITS LIKE CLARK’ SUNDAY ? WHERE IS THEIR FINE? PLEASE, SOMEONE CALL JACK LAMBERT — I AM SURE HE WOULD RETURN AS COMMISSIONER!!!!!!!

19. sjb says:

Sadly, this is what the owners want, so as long as Goodell is the commissioner, the Rooneys are also a joke, along with every other owner in the NFL. Goodell is simply their spokesman and they can care less what happens on the field as long as they continue to see profits rise. That said; we buy the tickets and watch the game so we’re also reponsible.

20. kurtzy says:

Why doesn’t Roger do what Brendan Shanahan does in the NHL? That is, before a fine is handed out, they post a video, talking through the illegal portions of the play and why the player is being fined. It would increase accountability in the League’s front office, and help give a clearer picture to what is/isn’t within the rules (in their eyes). It seems like that would hopefully hold Roger et al accountable for laying the hammer down on the Steelers.

21. JDub81 says:

A whimp is the head of a contact sport…..where have you gone Joe Dimaggio/

22. Scott P says:

I suggest that Steelers fans bombard the NFL offices in NY with angry phone calls. The number is easily had through directory assistance. I have actually been put through to Ray Anderson in the past.

23. Russ C. says:

It appears that the Steelers players are still being singled out. The reason is because they are a very good winning football team and the players are not afraid to voice their opinions when there are obvious bad calls and unreasonable bogus fines toward legal hits. I think some of the officials are working with Goodell on all those bad calls against the Steelers players. It’s hard for a team to win when you have both, false calls from the officials and unbelievable fines by Goodell. A legal hit by Ryan Clark and a illegal hit by Ray-Ray, Clark flagged and fined $40,000, Ray-Ray not flagged and fined only $20,000. You do the math! Call a fair football game and see who’s the last team standing – (“Steelers”). If you want to be the best, you need to beat the best, but without the bad flagging.The league need to start firing officials making obvious bad calls that’s not being over-turned, or at least taking their money also.

24. Chuck Cameron says:

What did the criminal in Baltimore get for a helmet hit to Ward?

I agree that players should be protected against illegal hits but it seems the league is trying to make competition so balanced we may as well start a flag football league. In the Marine Corps were taught to be tough in practice so we could be tough in battle. Same with NFL.

25. Dick says:

The Steelers, in my opinion, have been targeted by the league since they instituted the fining of the players. Fans are posting their displeasure and disgust with the inequitable treatment by the league. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, where is the players union? Do they really think they are representing the players? The players should reorganize among themselves and replace the union leadership with more competent leaders. At the very least, taking action of some kind might get somebody’s atttention. We’re talking serious money here with these fines. There should be an avenue of appeal and review other than “appealing to city hall” as the old saying goes. Football by its very nature is a violent, injury prone game. This in itself makes it popular. If there are those who can’t cope with this then they should not watch or be associated with the sport. The owners are indirectly responsible for this. They are on their way to “killing the goose that laid the golden egg.” In most games any more it is a rarity to see a well officiated game. There seems to be confusion quite often in game officials and many times a penaly is not called but fines are levied post game. What a crying shame this game has become. Somebody do something!

26. Gary Hench says:

It’s like watching ‘The Karate Kid’.
    Goodell say…….
    League do
    aaahsooooooo
    go GOODELL’S RANGERS!!!!!

27. Gary Hench says:

It’s like watching ‘The Karate Kid’.
    Goodell say…….
    League do
    due to ‘moderation/censorship, this post is a fraction of what was meant to be.
    Goodell’s influence reaches just this far.
    go