The Steel Mill

Bruce Arians Q&A

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

The Steelers offensive coordinator addresses the move at left guard, Emmanuel Sanders and Hines Ward’s role in the passing game

Q: Did Legursky becoming the starter at left guard have anything to do with Chris Kemoeatu’s health?
A: A little bit, a little bit. They both have kind of swapped that out for a month. Dougie is healthy and Doug played extremely well when he was in there; Chris did not play poorly. We just have some good depth in there for the first time in a long time. And it’s not a benching as much as it is putting Doug back in. Chris has played extremely well.

Q: What are the advantages of starting Legursky?
A: It’s like having two centers out there as far as the calls and everything, and especially the noise. He’s a very athletic guy, and he’s had a heck of a year going as far as giving up pressure. He’s been extremely solid. He’s a good football player _ that’s the only way I can describe him: He’s just a football player.

Q: What have you seen from Emmanuel Sanders?
A: I’ve been real pleased with him. He’s knee’s not swelling, and he’s not exactly where he was when he left off, but I think he will be by Sunday night and I’m looking forward to getting him back on the field.

Q: Where does Hines Ward figure into the passing game?
A: He still has a prominent role and I think this is probably the healthiest he’s ever been at Thanksgiving. He’s a pro and we’re going to everything we can to make sure all our guys stay in the game plan. That’s my job to manage that, that everybody has away of contributing in a major way. He’s still a great player in the red zone, third down. We’ve got something for everybody we think and not enough footballs for all of them. Whoever gets open is going to get it and Hines can still get open.

Q: Is that why you addressed the offense this week about staying focused on team goals?
A: It’s the time of year, if you’re on a poor football team you think about the Pro Bowl. If you’re on a good team you think about the Super Bowl and you let a Pro Bowl happen. We need to think about a Super Bowl, everybody’s got a role, accept a role, stay in it together because one little thing can break a team up. I’ve seen it happen. We don’t have that here. It’s just a reminder to the guys.

— Scott Brown

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Comments

1. eyeheartbrucearians says:

Happy Thanksgiving, all.

2. Scott P says:

Who really cares what Arians thinks?

3. Katto6 says:

Personally, I think what they did ( mostly the way Tomlin and Arians did it), to Hines Ward was rude and unprofessional. Not tell him what was going on? Really? Hines Ward? I find it disconcerting that Ward was not treated better. I also think it wrong to just allow the fans to try to figure it out.

I have loved the Steelers my whole life, and that’s along time. I carry a lot of Pennsylvania spunk in me, being a daughter of the state.

I finally deiced that I hope he asks for or gets a trade. I practice in South Florida now and it looks like Miami may be building a team again. Hines would be a great fit there.

4. eyeheartbrucearians says:

What’s up with all of the Bruce Arians interviews all of a sudden? Has he hired a PR firm or something? Maybe one of these interviews a reporter will ask a “tough” question like “why do you call 80% of runs to the same side of the line? Do you think we have a Shell and an Upshaw over there? Or, “after all of your years as Steelers OC, why have they yet to learn how to run a halfback screen? Or, “do you think that you can maybe get BB to alter his snap count from time to time? The defense just tees off on the O-line because the cadence is the same damn thing, every time!”

I haven’t seen anyone comment on the problem with the plan to have BB play from the shotgun Sunday to protect his thumb from the snaps from center. That is, that KC’s Arrowhead is arguably the loudest venue in the NFL. I sure hope that BA and MT have a plan B if false start penalties become a problem.

5. David says:

i don’t care what Tomlin or Bruce says, let Ward cement his legacy as a steeler and get the numbers he needs to make the HOF,,, you two are really questioning the spirit of this issue with the fan base , i know you aren’t coaching for personal goals, but Ward has earned this much before you put him completely on the done with shelf, it isn’t like he can no longer play the game or has caused this team to lose, Ward is just as productive on the underneath routes as Wallace is on the deep patterns. Tomlin and Bruce, you are really becoming an irratable commodotity, I implore you to put Ward in the best situation to attain these numbers before he is done, i know in the back of my mind you will release him before next training camp starts and i would really hate to see him get these very little numbers on another team…..Do Not Slight Mr.Hines Ward,

6. rich says:

I have mixed feelings about Ward I would love to see Ward make his milestones and I already miss his smile in games.
    However I also see the need to play the younger players for several different reasons.
    Most of which are obvious to us all if we really want to see them?

7. David says:

yeah i get the youth movement and i am not down playing brown or sanders they are great clutch recievers, but over 6 games i think you can let ward in on 2 plays per game….. hey, is that too much to ask………….. for a man you know has given his all to this team , organization, and most importantly, its fans across the nation…..lets get a Ward movement going and not let him feel unappreciated here….

8. David says:

Bill Cowher and Ken Whizenhunt would not slight Hines this way…….

9. Jay Walker says:

Don’t count Ward out yet. I expect some big plays out of him in the stretch.

10. David says:

i hope your right jay walker, cause to me it doesn’t look good …..

11. eyeheartbrucearians says:

D:

Cowher sat Jerome Bettis for Amos Zeroue (sp?), and that was years before Bettis was done.

Ward should hit all of his marks this season. If he doesn’t, it might not be because of BA or MT. There is something hinkie between Ward and BB, and has been for a few years…

12. David says:

well then,. Chuck knoll wouldn’t have sat Bettis, but you get my drift, Ward may not be as fast, but really was Ward ever the fastest guy on the team, thing is he worked hard and he was Clutch, and he still is Clutch not very many balls he drops…. still a productive team player……. i would think there would be the same sentiment here for Ward, Im just as much for winning as the next fan is on here, but I have yet to see Ward drop clutch passes, even the catch he made when lewis went helmet to helmet on him was a catch, he was down before the other player rolled over on top of him that made the ball come out,,,,

13. Jay Walker says:

Win or lose, at least we don’t have an NBA franchise. http://youtu.be/_4I-8Fsu68g

14. eyeheartbrucearians says:

Hey, I am a Ward fan. I would like nothing better than to see him win the Super Bowl. When I say “win,” I mean make a play that clinches it. I don’t care if he gets MVP for it. And neither would he. This is probably Ward’s last year, and we hope that he either hits those stat-goals or, better, goes out on top.

Man, can anyone see Hines Ward for Mayor? I mean, what can that smile and attitude do for business in the ‘Burgh?

15. eyeheartbrucearians says:

halftime of the Steelers/KC game.

What can we say about Bruce Arians? Big Bruce. Bubba. BA. Bruuuuce. BruceArino.

Ridiculous?

Why is this permitted to continue?

Sooner or later the guy at the top has got to be held accountable.

If Bruce Arians is not fired after this season, then Mike Tomlin has got to go. He has to be held accountable for the coaching staff.

We are tired of his “delegating authority.” Take control of this team, Head Coach, or you must go.

16. eyeheartbrucearians says:

There are a dozen teams in the National Football League that would be up on KC by at least 24 points at half time of this game, and no more than two of them have anywhere near the offensive talent that the Steelers have.

17. David says:

someone must have been reading my Ward movement, my man needs only 9 yards to 12,000 go ward, i can’t stand that play where they try to pull the defense off sides for 5 yards on 4th and 4,,, thats valueble seconds wasted for 1, two you know you aren’t gonna run a play…. yes i agree we should be up by 30 points but at the same time kc could be winning this ball game to with the chances they have had,,, but def should be up by at least 21…..

18. eyeheartbrucearians says:

4:13 left in the 3rd. BB tried to draw KC offsides when everyone in the world knows that they wouldn’t move. Then he wastes a time out before they punt to the end zone. People, this is not a well-managed offense. Something has to be done about this.

19. eyeheartbrucearians says:

Wow. What a great game. I really enjoyed that. How could you not? I am so glad that I stayed up to watch that live. A real battle between two great teams. Mike Tomlin will say (and I guarantee this) “We’ll take it. A win on the road in the NFL is hard to come by.” The Pittsburgh sports writers will write (and I guarantee this) “Bruce Arians really mixed it up and did enough to beat a stout KC defense.”

You know, we have enjoyed watching the Steelers in “down years” for the simple fact that we could watch talent being developed. We have enjoyed watching the Steelers in “over-achieving” years because of their occasional upsets. But we cannot recall a more dissatisfying season than this one. If we were Browns fans then tonight’s win would be a good win, because any Browns win would be a good win. But these are the Steelers, for God’s sake, and they have more talent on both sides of the ball than just about any team in the league! What the hell is going on out there!

News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle | Flow Back