The Steel Mill

Roethlisberger Q&A

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger riffs on the number of sacks he takes, “Whip” and the Steelers’ short week.

Q: You seem to get sacked at or close to the same number every season. Any theory as to why that is?
A: I plan for it. At the beginning of the year I put a big number up that I’m trying to get. That speaks to not worrying about it. I don’t go into a game saying ‘OK, I’m going to try not to get sacked this game.’ I go in and play the game the way I know how to play it. I know the line takes a lot of heat for those things but you’d probably cut those sacks in half if wasn’t for the style of game that I play. I think they’re overworrying about it, the media and the fans and people talking about them doing a poor job. I think they’re over it now. My thumb (injury) wasn’t on a sack. The big injuries just seem to happen on regular plays. I don’t think I take too many big shots.

Q: Cleveland quarterbacks coach Mark Whipple was your first quarterbacks coach here. Are you still in touch with him?
I do talk to him. Coach Whip is a great guy. I’m glad he landed. I’m not so glad he’s p there because I hate to have to beat him all the time. I know that he’s excited to be working with Colt (McCoy). I know it’s a challenge for him and he likes those challenges. I think he’ll be a good mentor for him.

Q: Do you still use being from Ohio and the Browns passing over you in the draft as motivation?
A: I’ll probably always have that. My goal is never to lose to any Ohio team.

Q: What challenges do a short week present?
A: It’s not bad for us because the game plan is very similar to last week so that helps. Having a relatively experienced group we can do the no-huddle so I think that helps us a little bit and I think Bruce is comfortable enough to say, ‘Listen, we’re going to use the no-huddle this game.’ And him feeling comfortable with me and me feeling comfortable in the offense we can utilize that.

Q: What your thoughts on the playoff picture?
A: Obviously you want to win your division. It’s not impossible to still do but for me let’s just get in the playoffs and anything can happen. We’re a good home team. We’re a good road team. That’s a distant thought right now because nothing matter unless we take care of the business that we need to take care of.

Comments

1. Jay Walker says:

Worilds has been held back by Tomlin like Harrison was held back by Cowher. Get Farrior and Foote off the field!

2. eyeheartbrucearians says:

From the Trib Live Sports Twitter:

Quote from BA:

“As I get stale as a playcaller I like to turn it over to 7. We have a nice wager on who gets in the end zone first. ”

Read more: Pittsburgh Steelers News, Scores, Schedules & Stats – Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/#ixzz1fpTw53uK

Need we say more?

3. Jopa-n says:

I just want to see the team offense continue to refine and prepare for the playoffs as they go each week. Whether it’s running or passing, compare it to where you need to be when you get to the playoffs.

Seeing how the Backs played ‘Hit men’ last week, and attacked the creases hard and quick, is good for playing playoff teams (Usually pretty good run defenses). Seeing them use slants and crosses to go with the verticals and outs of the passing norm is good as well (playoff teams often can shut down one aspect of the offense).

4. Zarbor says:

The team is looking better but tomorrow (though not as tough an opponent) will tell us a lot about us. Even though its not really a rivalry (like B-more), to Cleveland it still considered one. I’m most interested in the pass rush without Woodley again. I need to see more of Worrilds.

Very concerned about Farrior who looks like he’s hit that wall. We all knew it was coming. Foote is a little better but that’s not saying much. I thought Timmons would take a big step forward this year but that’s not the case either. Seems average for a guys expected to create splash plays.

Backfield has gotten better once they sat down McFadden. Gay has looked better but not completely sold. Pola really needs to start making splash plays in the passing game like we all know he can. I know he’s been hurt but we really need the old Pola in the playoffs. Not the current one that can go a full game and we not even know he was playing.

I like our chances this year but still feel like we got plenty of work to shore up. We are probably one of the most balanced teams in terms of offense and defense. Packers, Saints, NE are all one sided and have no defense. Only Baltimore and Houston seem to have balance on both sides of the ball.

5. Carmen M says:

Just read the news on Chris Hoke and his injury. Sad News. He will be missed. I hope it is not the end of his carrer, but all indications are that it is.
    He has long been one of my favorites. His name describes being loyal and unselfish. Has been satisfied as a back up, even though when called upon, he performed like a starter.
    I have to think that he could have found more $ in free agency and been able to make another team, but he stuck with us. I hope he is able to come back.

6. K2 says:

As I suspected BB has been checking BA calls… Not sure which is worse(?).

The Packers score a lot of points, I’m not sure they need a great defense(?).

The Steelers will need to dial up a pass rush more consistanty if they want to complete against the Pack, Saints or Pats… The secondary needs to keep improving too!

I liked what I saw last Sunday, we finally put a team away….Can we do it again this week.

7. eyeheartbrucearians says:

Sorry, this is too good to resist.

How stale is BA’s play calling?

BA’s play calling is so stale that…

Go for it, fellow BA malcontents.

8. eyeheartbrucearians says:

BA’s play calling is so stale that…

the running game’s “use by” date has expired.

9. Pete says:

The Pack have a better defense than you think. Yes, they’ve given up 22 passing TDs but they also have 23 picks. The point is GB is getting turnovers. They will be tough to beat in the playoffs. They are arguably better than last year.

Steelers seem to be pulling it together. I don’t like their run game much. They have yet to prove they can run when need. From where I’m sitting, they miss Adams run blocking. Gilbert to me isn’t yet as good as a 13-year grizzly veteran. I sincerely hope Gilbert grows to be much better than that.

10. Pete says:

The biggest surprise to me has been the elevation of Gay to #2 CB. Wasn’t Gay the whipping boy the past few years? My how things can change and in a hurry.

I’m not so impressed with the Gay-Lewis tag team except for the NE game where they were superb. I’m more interested and excited about Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen. They seem to have a lot of upside and I think we’ll see more of them over the coming years.

11. eyeheartbrucearians says:

BA’s play calling is so stale that…

the Steelers’ victory champagne has turned all vinegary.

12. eyeheartbrucearians says:

Okay, I guess I am the only one playing.

BA’s play calling is so stale that…

the Steelers’ playbook has a library fine on it.

13. eyeheartbrucearians says:

BA’s play calling is so stale that…

the Heinz field sod has been replaced with mold.

14. eyeheartbrucearians says:

BA’s play calling is so stale that…

opposing coaches shop for BA’s game plan in the Food King’s “discounted” bin.

15. eyeheartbrucearians says:

The Steelers don’t have cheer leaders because the Rooney’s consider them unnecessary and undignified. Did you ever wonder why the cheer leaders of visiting teams don’t make the trip to Heinz Field?

Because of the threat of yeast infections—that’s how stale BA’s play calling is!

16. David says:

Maybe using the same ingredients every Sunday is why its stale….. Really on the eve of a divisional game and this is all we have to discuss, the lack of a better topic each week is what I consider boring and stale….

17. Bob Loblaw says:

Arians’ playcalling > eyeheartbrucearians’ lame jokes.

18. D.L.Moore says:

the B.A. jokes are lame.we get it you don’t like him.lets move on.the secondary has played very well.Gay has been very solid since taking over.
    if the steelers plan on winning the super bowl they need to be able to put up numbers in the 30′s.because the saints and packers will no matter how good a defense is.

19. eyeheartbrucearians says:

And now for a responsible observation:

I and some others have watched this season, first with bewilderment, then disapointment and lately with anger, a Steelers offense that starts out like gangbusters and then lets almost every contest become a nail biter.

What would explain that?, we wondered. Here’s what explains it:

Our offensive coordinater and quarterback make bets on who (whose plays) can get into the endzone first. Apparently, others take that to be idle chatter. I, for one, do not.

First of all, if BB’s play calling is as competent as BA’s, then let Ben call them. What do we need an OC for?

Second, while it is motivational for players to bet each other on who, for example, can get the most sacks or picks, It seems the height of unprofessionalism for a coach and quarterback to be so disposed.

Third, I think that the idea is to get into the end zone MOST, not first.

I wonder what Ray Ray, he of the birds who want desparately to get to the Super Bowl, would think if he found out that Cam Cameron and Joe Flacco made bets on who can get to the end zone first? I wonder what Ray Rice, whose touches seem to disappear during incomprehensible Ravens’ losses would think? What would Harbaugh, or McCarthy, or Payton, or Belichick think about their OC’s and QB’s betting on that?

I have never met Bruce Arians. Therefore, I neither like nor dislike him. I am, however, enraged at his mismanagement of an offense that should be much improved over one that went to the Super Bowl a year ago.

You want to know what is really “lame”? This: A bet on who can get into the end zone first is a bet on who can call the most three-and-out series…

20. Carl says:

Eyeheart, I kinda took that whole “We bet” portion of the Q&A from Ben to be light-hearted, ie. they have a good relationship. Arians has been here quite a while; I think it’s probably a good thing that the OC and QB have a good enough relationship that the OC is good with Ben calling his own plays. It’s been pretty successful too, our No-huddle is really effective.
    I will say this tho, BA definately needs to stay “fresh”. For instance, teams are all over the WR bubble screen now! They are totally jumping it. The only reason we scored on one Vs. the Bengals is becuase Wallace made an outstanding play there….

21. Rick says:

That Wallace score wasn’t a full bubble screen, it was a quick toss with near pick by Sanders (?Brown) that Wallace made work better.
    Someone else up there said we need to be able to pass rush teams like the Pack, NO and Pats. Uh, we beat the Pats. Made a mess of them last time I looked. Offense could have been better in that game, like in many others.
    Yeah, they need to fake the bubble screen, or WR screen passes and go deeper, since the surprise effect has worn off.
    BA, like all OCs, scripts the first 10-20 plays. It seems most of the time we are doing OK at that point. Once the defenses start adjusting we need to change up. That’s where Ben comes in with audibles and no huddle. And after half time, adjustments.

This Brownies game ought to be interesting, I look forward to it. Hope we aren’t looking past it.

22. K2 says:

We beat the Pats cause we matched up with their receivers, but we didnt get to Brady much(?)… We dont and wont match up well with the Pack and NO (Ravens?) receivers…. We need to get better at getting to the QB’s cause our guys cant cover unless we are getting to the QB and disrupting their timing.

23. David says:

I think we should try the Tebow experiment…. :)

24. Wildwood says:

Smart thinking (Carl) I’m glad someone got that “tongue in cheek” comment made by BA. I guess if you don’t like BA’s coaching skill set then you’ll find reasons valid or otherwise to to criticize despite the fact that he’s helped coach a 9-3 team to this point.

25. Wildwood says:

I also agree with (Pete) in that although Gay has made some plays and progress in coverage this year the jury is still out with him. Lewis and Allen will be the ones to watch as they develop and I feel like Gay is just holding down the fort for now. Just a legit question here, wasn’t gay the one who was pressing the young wideout in the last drive against the ravens? Clark was late getting over but pressing a bigger faster wideout at that juncture wasn’t a smart move and could have cost us the No. 1 seed in the end.

26. David says:

i was just kidding about the TeBow Experiment, I was hoping it would catch aneye… well on to reality, The game starts at 8:20 tonight and i will watch it til its over regardless if we lose by 3, or win by 20, im just a diehard fan that way I guess… we can go into this game 9-3 and come out of it 10-3 i know its all theoretical, but hey at least im being optimistic here….. here we go Steelers, here we go!…..

27. Steelers7thHeaven says:

Play hard, no mistakes, hit the Brownies QB, create a few turnovers……..no turnovers on our part….Steelers 34-Browns 13 RUN the ball HARD using both Rashard & Redman!!

28. David says:

someone should take a look back to the 70s Steelers when they ran the trap plays, i think we have personal to pul that off a few times per game, i remember Bradshaw called his own plays and on a few occasions would call the same plays back to back thats just how good they were in executing and recognizing defenses, i see that with Ben, he can call his own plays exclusively and i know we can win 14 games a year with a few more Lombardys before Ben retires….. whew, what a sad day thatll be! anyway i can see Steelers unshelving a can of whoop a s s on the brownies Steelers 41 browns 9

29. Bsteel says:

Well, I have to work late tonight, so have to watch the game on DVR. Here’s hoping something good is waiting for me. Hey, would anyone out there rather see Dennis Dixon instead of Charlie Batch take over for Roethlisberger when he gets to sit? I’m a big Charlie Batch fan, but he looked real old and real slow and even confused by the defense on Sunday. I see Dixon is not even dressing. Wouldn’t he give the Steelers a better chance to win if Ben goes down in the playoffs?

The Steelers put Dwyer on IR but didn’t sign another RB from the squad. Are they going into the playoffs with three backs, or am I forgetting someone besides Mendenhall, Redman and Moore. Seems pretty thin.

30. Carl says:

Why the hell won’t he throw the ball away? We are absolutely screwed if that ankle is broke we are done. THROW THE BALL AWAY GODDAMNIT!!!!

31. Carl says:

Jesus he is the toughest SOB in the entire league. Unbelievable.

32. Mike says:

Fire Arians and have Kemo carry his bags and go with him. Freaking ridiculous with the 4 runs to the same side with no results, plus Kemo with all of these stupid penalties.

33. Rick says:

I just love these refs!

34. Carl says:

Beside myself. Unbelievable performance by BB. #7? 7 SBs? I don’t think I have ever seen a gutter player the our QB. Awesome.

35. eyeheartbrucearians says:

The 49er’s must be shaking in their patent-leather boots.

36. DickW says:

For the few out there who have bashed Ben for exaggerating injuries, I hope you had a chance to watch tonight’s Browns game. Sometimes you don’t know what you have until it’s gone. Talk about guts and glory, we saw it tonight with Ben’s gutsy performance. He is without a doubt one of the toughest QBs in the league and rates up there in the top tier with NFL QBs. All these people who rated Michael Vick higher than him should go back to football school. I like Charlie Batch a lot but think his days as the number 2 QB are numbered. I really don’t think we could make a playoff run with Charlie and that retirement for him is coming soon. It seems there are a lot of good young QBs in college and we should be looking to improving our backup depth soon. If opportunity knocks in the draft we should grab it. In the meantime Steeler fans, count your blessings and continue to watch and enjoy the play of a future Steeler Hall of Famer………………Big Ben.

Other Blogs
Sports: Dejan Kovacevic | Steel Mill | Chipped Ice | Bucco Blog | Sitting Ringside | Pitt Locker Room | Penn State Sports | H.S. Sports Insiders