Mark Kaboly | Tribune-Review
For the first time in his career, former first-round pick Rashard Mendenhall was a healthy inactive for Sunday’s game against the Ravens.
With a month left in the regular season, it is fair to think that Mendenhall won’t be back next year. He is in the final year of his rookie contract.
Mendenhall lost his starting job and demoted to third team after fumbling twice in four carries last week against Cleveland. Mendenhall told me earlier in the week that he’s not worried about a possible big pay day next year.
“I really don’t think about next year,” Mendenhall said. “I am trying to do the best with what’s in front of me. I work as hard as hard as I can and whatever happens, I am OK with that. Whatever has happened to this point, I am OK with because I’ve worked. Going forward rest of the year I will be OK with because I worked as hard as I can.”
Translation: Mendenhall believes that there is nothing he could’ve done better to help his status.
“I did everything that I can so if I can go back it wouldn’t help because I did everything I could. I am comfortable with that,” Mendenhall said.