The Steel Mill

Robinson: Steelers’ Bell: “We’re Not Going to Change Nothing”

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

By Alan Robinson

The Steelers practiced Tuesday and will practice again Wednesday before taking off until Monday — taking a weekend off, the only one so far since the preseason games began that won’t be a losing one.

Some news and notes for the bye week:

— Le’Veon Bell thinks the way for the Steelers to get turned around is to … change nothing.
“We’re going too keep working. We’re not going to change nothing,” Bell said. “Eventually, things will start going our way. We’ve got to keep chipping away. Nothing is easy in the NFL, so we’ve got to keep chipping away.”
While Bell ran for two touchdowns against the Vikings, but only after he got caught up to the speed of his first regular season game. Before Sunday, his only four carries came in a preseason game Aug. 19.
“The game slowed down for me, especially in the second half,” Bell said. “The first couple of carries it felt fast, real fast, but I got adjusted to it. I calmed down a little bit.
I got more comfortable .”
Bell was most pleased with another aspect of his game that hasn’t been discussed much at all: His blocking.
“Even in the passing game I did a good job of helping the o-linemen with chips, catching the ball out of the backfield,” Bell said. “There’s still a lot of things I can work on, but blocking I did well. It just wasn’t enough.”

— Former NFL coach Tony Dungy said the Steelers’ defense is too old, and it’s showing.
“I’m not sure they can fix this. I don’t know that they have the talent. I think they just have an old defense that does not have playmakers. They don’t have a takeaway in four weeks,” Dungy said on Sunday Night Football on NBC.
After finishing atop the NFL three of the last five seasons, that defense is No. 11 — allowing 321 yards per game, or 45 yards per game more than a year ago.
“We’re spoiled having a dominating defense and, right now, we’re not dominating,” cornerback Ike Taylor said. Safety Ryan Clark called the Steelers’ overall play “embarrassing,” especially for the seven defensive starters who played on the 2008 Super Bowl-winning team.
“As much as guys are humble, there are egos in here,” Clark said. “Guys that are used to winning.”

— For all of the wildly enthusiastic fans who turned out for the Saturday street rally and the Steelers-Vikings game Sunday, the NFL still has some major obstacles to overcome as it tries to establish a foothold in London and Europe. One of them is local media perception that American football simply isn’t that newsworthy. While 83,518 packed Wembley Stadium, The Daily Mail, one of London’s leading newspaper, deemed the game worthy of only a three-paragraph story accompanied by a Le’Veon Bell touchdown leap photo on the 18th sports page of its Monday edition. The first nine pages were devoted to coverage of two-day-old soccer games. The Guardian newspaper devoted a single paragraph.

— Vikings safety Harrison Smith drew a 15-yard unnecessary roughness penalty for a helmet hit on tight end Heath Miller; afterward, he insisted he was trying to avoid hitting Miller in his surgically repaired right knee. “As a player, as a fan, I know that (Miller was hurt),” Smith said. “I don’t want to hit him in the knee, I want to hit him in a good area. I try to keep my head out of it. I didn’t launch and I don’t really know what to do.” Later in the game, Smith said, “I hit him lower, and I didn’t really want to do it, but I had to. That might have made him mad.”

— Steelers safety Troy Polamalu is being used extensively in run support, and the Vikings knew it. Wide receiver Joe Webb threw a block on Polamalu that created a hole for Adrian Peterson on his 60-yard touchdown run. “He was telling me, `Hey on the 42 lead, Troy the safety is cramming in and he’s shooting right now. So just trust me on being able to pin him in, you can get outside,’ ” Peterson said. “Sure enough, the next time we caught it, it happened exactly (that) way.”

— Polamalu is taking the losing hard; he has never played on a losing-record Steelers team. “It’s a struggle for us,” he said. “I think we all have to reassess ourselves.” But he drew the line at suggestions some players — including younger members of the defense — aren’t working hard enough to win. He said, “Effort will never be the issue for us.”

— Ben Roethlisberger has thrown 92 passes in his last two games, the most he’s thrown in any two-game period of his career. He’s completed 62 for 789 yards. For the season, he is 103 of 162 for 1,231 yards, five touchdowns and five interceptions — and five fumbles.

— The Steelers’ schedule isn’t built for a fast turnaround, with three of the next four on the road. They play at the Jets (2-2) on Oct. 13, followed by their only October home game, against the Ravens (2-2) on Oct. 20. After that, they visit the Raiders (1-3) and Patriots (4-0) on successive Sundays. Until dropping their first four, the Steelers had never been even two games below .500 under coach Mike Tomlin.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Comments

1. Phyllis says:

I am a die heart fan and it pains me to see us playing this way and getting torched in the secondary. We need to get back to playing Steeler football and if we can’t some coaches must go for they are not getting the job done.

2. Johnnie Grills III says:

“We’re not going to change nothing…” Great, not only did Le’Veon Bell not learn what a double-negative was in college, we’re still going to see 3.5 yards per carry from our RBs. Why was he drafted again…oh right, because Jonathan Dwyer’s 4.0 ypc wasn’t good enough.

3. Chris says:

Steelers need to start with fireing todd haley we went 12-4 then we pick up todd Haley then we went 8-8 now 0-4 we have I good enough offensive to win games because if a offensive cant score or go down the field the defense will never be a 100% and if mike tomlin can see that he needs to go to

4. J says:

I believe Einstein said doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is insane…great…our #1 back is a loon.

Well…he can howl at the moon if he rushes for 100 yards and gets into the end zone

5. Brad says:

Good grammar.

6. […] Steelers rookie running back Le’Veon Bell believes that despite their 0-4 start, things will start going their way at some point. […]

7. James Rohr says:

I can see a 0-16 record in the forecast if they don’t change anything!! Just saying

8. Jerome says:

I from Baltimore and I’ve been a Steelers fan since 1971. I think this team and any team Pittsburgh field is a winner; however my comment is directed to the coaches. Has anyone thought to have Todd Haley call the game from the booth where he’s able to see the field better?

9. DM says:

We’re not going to change nothing,” Bell said. Double negative… Which means your gonna change everything.

10. Richard says:

The problem isn’t so much the coaches or the schemes but the players themselves. They might be wearing Steeler jerseys but they just aren’t good enough. This lies with one failed draft after another. Because of its success, Pittsburgh has spent many a draft picking in the later portion of the rounds. They can’t afford to make mistakes yet they have continually done so. I think we’re just scratching the surface of a trend of bad football for the franchise which could last a few years.

11. GW says:

If you are going to comment on grammar, then how about making sure yours is correct.

learn the rule: your / you’re

your is a possessive adjective, indicating ownership of something
    That is your sock.
    Where is your potato?

you’re is a contraction (combination) of you and are
    Do you know what you’re doing?

The two are not interchangeable.

12. Eddie says:

We as fans r not used to loosing like this,but this is what happens when u don’t scout and draft right,someone has lost that magic eye for talent and it went out the door with Coach Bill Cowher left ,along with the GM at the time ,so the only thing I can say is it’s going to be a long season

13. […] Bell indicated that he and the team aren’t too discouraged despite the nightmarish 0-4 start to the year, and he discussed what he thought he did well in his first regular-season action, per the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review’s Alan Robinson: […]

14. Bill Exposito says:

The problem on Peterson’s 60 yard TD run was not Troy it was Woodley. He consistently gets blocked by tight ends and RB’s. He had one good year, 2008 and that is solely because he benefited from an a defense that was very good, quick and Harrison who was a terror. If you analyze his sacks he rarely if ever beats the tackle in front of him. Go to stillers.com the guy there has been analyzing all of Woodley’s horrendous play since they recklessly threw $61M at this below average linebacker.

15. Judy says:

I second that! The team has not been the same and the biggest change in the team’s downward trend began with Haley’s entrance.

16. Arte says:

The Steelers have a few problems and some are related. We’ve got to find a way to protect Ben long enough to allow him to do his thing. The pressure he’s getting is not only preventing his best performance offensively– it’s leading to too many turnovers. At least 2 of the last 4 games probably would have been victories without the turnovers.

17. Sleeves says:

So he plays 1 game and already an expert on everything except grammar?
    Get rid of him, Haley and Tomlin and lets start over…

18. Foo says:

My first thought exactly….shows how he got thru college doesn’t it?

19. old yeller says:

I’m not worried about it.we will be back,bigger,stronger,faster,we can rebuild this….we will rebuild this.Steelers#1

20. jimbo says:

I don’t buy the old thing, or that the defense is our biggest problem. Just this year, we dropped 35 yr old Casey Hampton, 35 yr old Harrison, and 32 yr old Foote from the defense, and replaced them with rookies or near rookies. The older vets (Polamalu, Keisel, Taylor, and Clark) are all playing as good as ever, with maybe the Clark declining some. That said, save for this game, the defense played pretty good the first three games with NO help from the offense.

21. jeff says:

this is our biggest problem so far this year , way to many turnovers….simply cut these out/down and we are maybe 3-1..blocking would help too.

22. Robert Popovich says:

To the Steeler Nation:

I love the Steelers, having said that…let’s be honest, they sadly don’t have the talent; this is going to be a painful year, but even more painful for management to look in the mirror and recognize their failures. But confessing their sins isn’t enough, they have to do something about it, and being the Rooney’s I assume they will. They are arguably the best ownership in the NFL.

Not being an owner, or for that matter, actually nothing more than a dedicated fan, I have a suggestion. Don’t we all. In any event, I’m offering my two cents that may not earn enough interest to justify opening up a bank account, no matter. Being a fan gives us the inherent right to, well, try and right the ship, knowing they’ll never read or act upon our priceless insight. I’m just another fan wallowing in self-pity hoping for the best.

SUGGESTION TO THE ROONEY’S: Erase the board and look at it from an accountant’s point of view. “Zero Base Budgeting.” Pretend they’re new owners and are putting together a team for the first time, and have inherited what they presently have. No emotions. No predispositions; just the facts.

The most absurd thing I’ve heard so far about this debacle was Tomlin’s meaningless threats of firing the underachievers, which by most accounts includes all of the players and coaches. That being the case—who is he going to replace them with , Gene Collier, Ron Cook, Gerry Dulac, Dejan Kovacevic, Bob Pompeani, Ed Bouchette, and at quarterback Mark Madden—who probably can’t move out of the pocket as well as Ben, but I know he’ll give his best effort.

Hey wait a minute, I think I’ve accidentally hit on something. Think about it, we could get all of these guys put together for a Primanti’s sandwich and a beer. Call the Rooney’s…PROBLEM SOLVED! They’ll save millions this year, open up a bottomless money “CAP” for next year, and be able to start all over again.

The “WOOPS! UPDATE: I just received a report on the Steeler replacements; unfortunately they were ALL injured (pulled muscles) putting on their uniforms for their first practice; so much for a ‘fan’s’ opinion. I called, ‘811’ emergency line. Its strictly a line for unqualified fans offering their startling insights and opinions. As punishment, I have to drive all of them to Allegheny General for rehab.

Dog gone it, and I thought I had it all figured out.

Robert Popovich
    Sewickley, PA

P.S. To L.C. Greenwood “RIP” thank you for giving us something to cheer about for decades. And to the present day Steelers, you’ll bounce back–keep your heads up, we (the fans) are.

23. Robert Popovich says:

You have it right, Jimbo. Call Dungy and tell him to do his homework before making his startling, albeit, inaccurate assessments.

Keep up your good work in keeping the “Pundits” honest, well if not honest, more educated than Levon Bell’s exuberant misuse of words, but hey, what does it matter, we have more important things to worry about, like winning.

Best,
    Robert Popovich
    Sewickley, PA

24. coolowl says:

Its not the corners are getting killed its we are not getting pressure on the qb

25. douglas says:

Oh please, it’s just a figure of speech. And one game is going to make you question him being drafted? How is that offensive line he’s running behind? You do know it was his first game, right?Didn’t he rush for 57 yds when the rushing yards for the first 3 games combined was 155 yds? How many rushing TD’s did they have in those 3 games? Get a clue.

26. I’m in agreement with , however, I’m guessing (or in the words of Jack Nicholson) “‘spitballing’ it here folks,” there is a tendency in all of us, especially when we’re frustrated and disappointed (Steeler fans) to ‘kick the dog’ when things aren’t going our way.

I would venture to say we all of us frequently make the same mistakes now and then.

Whoops!! UPDATE: I just received a ‘tweet’ from “LvB”…”Robert, far be it from me to correct a speechwriter, BUT, here is your report card on what you’ve just written.

WE ALL OF US NOW AND THEN MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE…Bad news dude, you have a faulty parallelism, duplicate pronouns…improper use of the subjunctive…and worst of all, a glaring error in pronoun-antecedent agreement. To all Steeler fans, my double negative was a ploy to entice your wrath, now who’s laughing. “LvB”