Five former Steelers are on the Cardinals current roster (Jonathan Dwyer, Larry Foote, Max Starks, Alameda Ta’amu, Reggie Dunn) along with five coaches (Bruce Arians, Harold Goodwin, Amos Jones, Brentson Buckner, Larry Zierlein) and a couple others with ties to the area (Roger Kingdom, Buddy Morris).
But there is also a pretty strong Pittburgh-Buffalo connection as well.
The Bills and Steelers will hold joint practices on Wednesday and Thursday before playing their preseason game at Heinz Field on Saturday. It’s the first time the Steelers have held a joint practice since the 1990s, so it should make St. Vincent College quite an interesting place for a couple days, especially with the amount of Steelers connections now associated with the Bills.
This is for sure: Directions to get around the St. Vincent College campus won’t be needed for the Bills.
• Bills GM Doug Whaley (Upper St. Clair/Pitt) worked as a Pro Personnel Assistant for the Steelers in 1995 and then as the Pro Scouting Coordinator from 1999-09
• Bills Director of College Scouting Kelvin Fisher (Ambridge) was a College Scout for the Steelers from 2000-12
• Bills OL Kraig Urbik was a third-round pick and a member of the Steelers during the 2009 season.
• Bills FB Frank Summers was a fifth-round selection of the Steelers in 2009.
• Bills P Brian Moorman spent the 2013 Training Camp with the Steelers.
• Bills DL Corbin Bryant spent time on the Steelers practice squad in 2011 and 2012.
• Bills OL Doug Legursky played for the Steelers from 2009-12.
• Bills LB Stevenson Sylvester played for the Steelers from 2010-2013.
That alone should make it an interesting couple of days to wrap up Camp Tomlin 2014.
Throw in some poor weather expected and some usually hot tempers associated with joint practices and what a way to end a three-week stay at St. Vincent College.