(BEFORE WE GET TO THIS REGULARLY-SCHEDULED BLOG POST, CHECK OUT THIS WEEK’S EDITION OF THE STEELERS ROUNDTABLE SHOW FROM TRIBLIVE RADIO FEATURING MARK KABOLY, RALPH PAULK AND MYSELF. CLICK ON THIS TO LISTEN)
The past two head coaches of the Arizona Cardinals happen to be the past two offensive coordinators for the Steelers.
In reverse, it just so happens the current offensive coordinator of the Steelers is a past offensive coordinator of the Cardinals.
Those are just a couple examples of the manner in which the two franchises – who rarely play, but will do so Sunday at Heinz Field – have been so intertwined over the past decade.
There are 20 players who previously played for the Steelers who joined the Cardinals between 2007 until now. Plus more than a handful of coaches who made the same leap.
The Super Bowl after the 2008 season not only was the Cardinals’ lone appearance in the Big Game – it also represents the Steelers’ NFL record-setting sixth Super Bowl win.
That 2008 Arizona team had a pair each of ex-Steelers (Clark Haggans, Jerame Tuman) and future Steelers (Leonard Pope and Levi Brown) – not to mention an ex-Pitt star (Larry Fitzgerald) and a pair of ex-Pittsburgh area high school standouts (Steve Breaston, Reggie Wells).
OLB coach Joey Porter and cornerback William Gay are two current members of the Steelers who have two stints with the team sandwiched around a short (1-2 year) stay in the desert.
Chukky Okobi, Keydrick Vincent, Bryany McFadden, Dan Kreider, Sean Morey, Brian St. Pierre, Alan Faneca, Crezdon Butler, Nick Eason, Rashard Mendenhall, Alameda Ta’Amu, Larry Foote, Jonathan Dwyer, Lamarr Woodley, Josh Mauro, A.Q. Shipley, Haggans, Tuman, Porter, Gay are players who previously played for the Steelers who then played for the Cardinals since 2007 (the Whisenhunt and Arians eras).
Not to mention coaches such as Ray Horton, Amos Jones, Tom Moore and Larry Zierlein.
A list of the current members of the Cardinals organization who previously were part of the Steelers (courtesy of the Cardinals):
- Cardinals Assistant Head Coach/Offense Tom Moore (a Steelers assistant from 1977-89, coaching WRs from 77-82 and offensive coordinator/QBs coach from 83-89, winning two Super Bowl rings and coaching five Hall of Famers).
- Cardinals Offensive Coordinator Harold Goodwin (an offensive assistant with the Steelers from 2007-11).
- Cardinals Special Teams Coordinator Amos Jones (was special teams coach with the Steelers from 2007- 12).
- Cardinals O-Line coach Larry Zierlein (held the same position with the Steelers from 2007-09).
- Cardinals ILBs coach Larry Foote (played for the Steelers from 2002-08 and 2010-13, helping the Steelers win Super Bowl XL and XLIII – the latter over the Cardinals).
- Cardinals D-Line coach Brentson Buckner (played for the Steelers from 1994-96, including as part of the team that went to Super Bowl XXX; also was a training camp coaching intern for the Steelers from 2010-12).
- Cardinals LB LaMarr Woodley (played for the Steelers from 2007-13).
- Cardinals P Drew Butler (the Steelers punter as a rookie in 2012).
- Cardinals DE Josh Mauro (on the Steelers practice squad in 2014).
- Cardinals C/G A.Q. Shipley (a Moon native who played at Penn State and spent 2009 on the Steelers practice squad)
- Cardinals Video Director Rob Brakel (worked in the Steelers video department for nine years).
Enjoy the game Sunday