Answer yes to any of these questions in 2014 and don’t have insurance for nine months or more? Do not pass go, do not get Obamacare.
There are a bunch of exemptions if you want to get out of the individual mandate.
Get your pencils ready, Garance Franke-Ruta in The Atlantic has a list:
- Have you been unable to pay a medical bill in the last two calendar years?
- Did you get a shut-off notice from a utility company?
- Did you experience substantial property damage from fire, flooding, or other natural or man-made disaster?
- Did you have to shell out unexpectedly on travel to go take care of your elderly mom, who got sick?
- Has your mortgage company moved to foreclose against you?
You can find out more about getting out of the fee, AKA tax, for not having coverage here.