TribLIVE
Blogs | Sports | News
This Just In

A fresh perspective on the latest news compiled by M.S. Scully

« Font size »
Decrease | Reset |Increase

State Department did not let Benghazi guards carry weapons

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Updated: “Morgan Jones” may not have been a witness.

Libyan guards protecting the U.S. mission in Benghazi were unarmed and terrified when the compound was attacked last year, a witness tells CBS News.

A security officer, a former British soldier hired to train them, is speaking for first time about the terrorist siege that ended up killing four Americans.

The witness, using the pseudonym Morgan Jones, tells Lara Logan on 60 Minutes that it was the State Department that did not allow his guards to carry guns.

As the attack began on Sept. 11, one of the guards called Jones at home nearby.

“I could hear gunshots, and I — and he said, ‘There’s — there’s men coming into the mission,’ ” the security officer says. “His voice, he was — he was scared.”

The terrorists told the Libyan guards: ‘We’re here to kill Americans, not Libyans,’ so they’d give them a good beating, pistol whip them, beat them with their rifles and let them go,” Jones says.

You can watch the report at CBS News.

 

 

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail
 
Other blogs
Sports: Rob Rossi | Steel Mill | Chipped Ice | Bucco Blog | iPreps | Pitt Locker Room | Penn State Sports | Trailing Off
News: This Just In | Trib List | ICycle  


» Top TribLIVE.com Sports
» Top TribLIVE.com News
» Top TribLIVE.com Breaking News